EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

Re: EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

NNDad, you hit that nail right on the head.  B/D did not need those 8th graders, they wanted them.  Now they are running up the scores by putting their top line out as often as possible in blowout games. Makes it tougher to compare them against good players in tougher conferences like the BSC.

BTW, the top 3 in the Herget are looking great.  Norwood, Wellesley and Dedham all look like they could go deep in the D2 playoffs with Duxbury gone, Falmouth not quite as good and Canton having dropped off significantly.  I was amazed at how much Canton fell off from last year.

Looking forward to the Dedham and Norwood games in the next 9 days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well to their credit Beverly/Danvers does have some tough games scheduled later in the regular season (woburn and StMarys for example, not much tougher than those two).  So we shall see how they stack up then.  Frankly I give some slack to teams that have to combine towns to even fill a roster.  Kids are kids and sometimes you need to keep a crtiical mass of friends or playing buddies around, or else they could lose interest.  Very few of these girls are playing for scholarship money, just playing because they have to really like hockey.  Hockey is not a sport you kinda do (like some track runners I knew, who were fast and just mostly showed up in the meets.)  If those 8th graders were taking away roster slots, then I agree that they should not be varisity, but they are still under the roster limits so that is not the case, and over a season, kids get hurt and some teams will struggle to field a healthy team by the end of the year.  Clearly those 8th graders have some skills.  If they have enough, they will probably not be with Beverly Danvers for many years.   Not all towns have enough local interest to field full teams with just HS kids. 

Some teams probably stretch the intent of the rules for middle school players, but overall I think it is a necessary feature to maintain enough teams and critical mass for girls hockey to thrive and grow over the years.  Having a successful team is a great way to boost interest, and keep a program going. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

My daughter pointed out this quote from the Dedham coach from a Wickedlocal/Dedham article about the Dedham-Braintree game.

"I knew this morning (Braintree coach Kevin Burchill) was going to injure Sam, to be totally honest, that’s how he plays," said Gurskis. "He’s a dirty coach and obviously it’s effective because he got what he wanted, he got the win, I got three injuries."

Read more: http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/features/x348818442/Braintree-2-Dedham-1-Hot-start-gets-chilled-out#ixzz2pMHkMPCe
    Follow us: @DedhamTranscrip on Twitter | DedhamTranscript on Facebook

I know SG and HP are friends, but, wow, no love lost between these two coaches!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I have to wonder if the quote was accurate.  I know a coach might say something like, "The other team has to take out my star, to have a chance", meaning double cover, doing everything possible to prevent the star from getting chances.  I would find it pretty amazing to have a High School coach actually accuse the other coach of trying to injure a player.  That is pretty serious stuff.  If the reporter who wrote the article just paraphrased the statement, to reflect the actual event, that is sloppy reporting.  

Also the article fails to mention if the hit that knocked Sam down was a legal contact or called for a penalty (Checking, interference, tripping?) all it says is that Sam went down on the ice.  I know a lot of teams have different levels of physical play that they engage in, and some leagues tolerate more than others as their norms as well.  

Well the winter break is almost over and the games resume tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Did anyone get the info on the Winchester 1 Woburn  0 game? Big surprise that Winchester had enought to win against Woburn, good team to maybe compete but goalie must have been outstanding.Looks like everything is openibg up with no clear #1 team right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

In response to hockeyfanok's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did anyone get the info on the Winchester 1 Woburn  0 game? Big surprise that Winchester had enought to win against Woburn, good team to maybe compete but goalie must have been outstanding.Looks like everything is openibg up with no clear #1 team right now.

[/QUOTE]

No clear #1?  Not so sure about that....the little town south of Boston that hasn't even come close to hitting their stride and are undefeared and will probably start playing their best hockey in a couple weeks....that's right. I'm back. Look out for Duxbury. Still irritates me that some people consider Duxburys move to D1 is a step up.  We will see. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Scooter8 on the war path. relax, no body  saying Duxbury is not a very good team.(they are)just saying as of right now(including Duxbery) no real #1. it always comes down to the last 2 weeks of the season to see how it shakes out. Relax, enjoy some good hockey(I think Duxbury will win thier next 10 games) and see what happens the last two weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

duxury garden appearances will all but dissapear with the move to D1.  Glad they finallly did it.

talked to a friend in dedham, apparently braintree coach did in fact tell his girls to go out and hurt #3.  i was shocked to hear it and really hope she misheard the coach.  even though she is very credible.  who would ever say such a thing?  what a colossal tool.

fwiw, wellesley should have bveaten dedham saturday. pretty good game, but we certinaly have more depth than they do.  i thought their freshman goalie played well. i don't recall hearing she was as good as she played saturday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

duxury garden appearances will all but dissapear with the move to D1.  Glad they finallly did it.

talked to a friend in dedham, apparently braintree coach did in fact tell his girls to go out and hurt #3.  i was shocked to hear it and really hope she misheard the coach.  even though she is very credible.  who would ever say such a thing?  what a colossal tool.

fwiw, wellesley should have bveaten dedham saturday. pretty good game, but we certinaly have more depth than they do.  i thought their freshman goalie played well. i don't recall hearing she was as good as she played saturday.

[/QUOTE]

So your a Wellesley fan...now I get it.  I guess we will see on another Duxbury "Garden Appearance"...I like their chances.  Wellesley ever been there other than to watch Duxbury and the Bruins?

Was your source/friend from Dedham inside the Braintree locker room when the "attack/injure" directive was given out?  Come on?  Really?  Sure it wasnt maybe "be physical...put a body on her..." like all good coaches would say when trying to neatralize one of the better players on the opposing team?  I wasnt there.  Just guessing....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

I have to go with Hockeyfanok that there is no clear #1 team.  A clear #1 team would have a perfect record at this point, and Barnstable did get a point from Duxbury.  I think Woburn, Duxbury, and St.M. are in the running, but St.M. looks a little shaky, not having won any game by more than one goal, and, Woburn got beat by a team that on paper they should have dominated.

As a dark horse, I like Watertown/Belmont, I hear they have a pretty good goalie, and EL now has a better supporting cast.

Until they play a quality opponent, it is hard to tell how good Beverly/Danvers is, but I'm rooting against them for running up the score on weaker opponents and bringing up eighth graders for skills rather than necessity (I'll cut them some slack on the goalie, maybe their sophmore never played goalie before this season, but not the forward).

There certianly isn't a clear #1 in the Baystate after Dedham tied Wellesley, and Norwood lost to Milton.

Of course NN hasn't actually played at full strength yet, two forwards have just started to skate after recovering from Soccer/Field hockey injuries, and we were missing our top defenseperson, against Braintree.  It was a good game against Braintree, the teams were pretty well matched, and our goalie made some good saves and controlled the puck well,  but as far as I could see both Braintree goals were scored on scrums in front of the goal.  NN's goal, a 2 on 1 with a good pass and finish, would get more style points, but unfortunately those don't show up on the score board.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

In response to Scooter8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1st, of course it's good for all the D2 teams that Duxbury is gone.  Good for Wellesley, Norowod, Dedham, etc.  Not saying our girls have ever had the kind of success Duxbury has, because it isn't close.  However it was time for Duxbury to move up for sure.  They had it too easy with a very good program.

As far as Braintree comments, the individual who reported to me was standing close to the bench to hear (during the game) the directive from Kevin Burchill to "hurt" #3.  Absolutely disgusting.

[/QUOTE]

So your a Wellesley fan...now I get it.  I guess we will see on another Duxbury "Garden Appearance"...I like their chances.  Wellesley ever been there other than to watch Duxbury and the Bruins?

Was your source/friend from Dedham inside the Braintree locker room when the "attack/injure" directive was given out?  Come on?  Really?  Sure it wasnt maybe "be physical...put a body on her..." like all good coaches would say when trying to neatralize one of the better players on the opposing team?  I wasnt there.  Just guessing....

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well about the Woburn/Winchester game.  It sounds like it was chippy (traditional rivals et al) (8 penalties called in the game) and Winchester has a very good goalie who played well.  Woburn outshot Winchester by 2-1 (28 to 14 shots in the game).  Not sure if anyone was missing the game.  Winchester has a very good team (5-1 at this point), and is one of the top D2 teams this season.  A little surprised Woburn lost, but not shocked.  Last year when Woburn was 17-0-3 in the regular season, Woburn won 2-0 and tied 1-1 with Winchester.  The year before it was 1-0 and 2-1 Woburn.  Always tight games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Some coverage and commentary on the Woburn game in Jim Clark's blog.  I'm not sure what he means in commenting on the use of the Trap that the "girls game" is in enough trouble as it is.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/in_the_slot/2014/01/girls_hockey_super_eight_etc_jan_6

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Thanks for the link, it went up sometime after the last time I checked his blog.

The trap technique is very boring to watch and frustrating to play.  As he described the team doing it basically forgoes any real attempt on offense to just pack in their players on defense and make it all but impossible to score with all the bodies in the way.   It sounds like Winchester was using some of this approach during the game.  Of the 14 shots they took, 1 was in the first period, 8 in the second when they scored and 5 in the third, compared to the 28 official shots Woburn had.  Now with a packed in defense, only shots that somehow get to the goalie are supposed to count, so I suspect there were a LOT more pucks tossed towards the net that did not count as official shots.

From a game philosophy standpoint, you try to do that approach when playing not to lose, instead of trying to win the game.  I suspect it it not much fun to play non-stop defense in a game.  So what Bruce was alluding to, was this trap approach does not build more interest in playing, if you make playing the game a chore and boring.  It can be more effective in the girls game with the much lower tolerance for physical play, which is one way to beat it.  If however you get called for penalties in trying to get thru the defense, that defeats the purpose.    In the game from two years ago, the team in question needed 1 point (ie a tie) to make the playoffs.  A loss would have eliminated them.  The team got their 0-0 tie and then promptly lost in the first round of the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

St.M tied AC last night, but the shots on goal were, according to Bruce Lerch, 32-9 in favor of AC.  Might St.M have run the trap against AC?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I would be surprised if they did, but player availability might also play a role.  You can end up with low shot games without weird play going on (just a lot shots going wide of the net some games).  I would never put StM in an underdog role where such tactics were needed to stay in a game, barring injury or player problems (like a bunch of forwards all taking sick for example during a game...)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Then again, is the trap actually working if you allow 30+ shots on goal?  Given that they were also significantly outshot in the Reading game, StMs seems to be surviving against quality opponents on the strength of their goal tending.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

A trap, is not the trap run from the neutral zone?? It sounds like from what I am reading is that the teams are placing all 5 players in front of the goalie. Are they placing the girls in a box?? As if to kill a penalty with one girl inside the box?? Did anyone see those games??? Is everyone getting second hand knowledge. I might be wrong but that is not a trap. Thats packing it in or playing some kind of a defensive scheme called a box plus 1.Either way playing the game that way stinks.please let me know if they are running a trap or just packing it in. Thanks everyone

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

St M does not run the trap, they simply run a great girls hs hockey program from what  I understand.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Braintree sent another one to the hospital last night. From what I was told, it was a cross check to the side of the head which then resulted in a head first hit to the ice.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Hockeymom it sounds like this is a continuing theme with Braintree, did it result in a concussion? i see a trend with many coaches teaching little tricks to slow down a better skilled play, but this team seems to be trying to get better players off the ice. win at all cost attitude. Good programs, St M, Dux, Woburn, AB and others never play that way.If the ref. do not take control of dirty play it will only get worse. A good game this wed. Reading vs Woburn, should be a good one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Yes, player is out for at least 1-2 weeks. Whether these incidents are incidental or intentional, who's to say? Only the coach knows. I wasn't there, I didn't see it, I'm not going to pass judgment on this particlar incident. I do however think it's safe to say at minimum they are playing recklessly. 2 games, 4 injured opposing players. That's not exactly normal.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Anyone seen Reading play? They had great results against Lexington, Arlington and Winchester. The Woburn game should be a good one, then they face Watertown/Belmont and AB. Do they end up 9-1-2 or 6-4-2?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Have not seen Reading play yet, but a recent local write up commented on how they were learning that it was not the number of shots on goal, but the quality that mattered.  In that rough stretch they were out shooting their opponents sometimes 4 to 1.   In their last game against Arlington for example, they scored 6 times on only 17 shots.  Back when they tied Billerica 2-2 they outshot them 42 to 9.   Must have been a lot of clean looks for the goalie, since 40 stops is pretty hard to do.  Their upcoming games will tell a lot about where they stand in the overall picture.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Reading might lose one game out of the next three.Woburn vs Reading game should be great game but Reading comes out on top9this could be the only lose) Watertown/Belmont do not know if they are in that upper group. They did beat Lynn/Winthrop, Arlington, Winchester and Needham all good teams but thier next few should tell. Melrose, Reading ,Woburn and Lexington. Still think Reading is the class of the Middlesex league but time will tell. I think Reading will take AB, a little better over all.

Sections
Shortcuts