1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Re: EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

I am not going to try and apoligize for inept officials, but we get what we get.  It is not easy to find people who actually want to do that job, at most amatuer levels and compensation rates.   Even youth leagues struggle to find older kids willing to do the job, due to the constant critisms they hear.

Some leagues clearly end up with the "bottom of the barrel".   All I ask is that the official put in the effort that is appropriate, not that they have perfect calls every time, but at least try to be in the right spots to make them.  I coached soccer for years and most refs at least tried.  Those that did not, I sent in reports on.

Even at the professional level refs miss calls all the time.  If we constantly "blame the refs" that instills a common attitude that no matter what happens the refs "blew the game" for us.   I have seen very few cases where an inept ref was intentionally biased to one team over another.  What happened was that ref was biased to a style of play that favored one team over another.  Most often this boils down to physical play and what is called and what is not.  ALL sports have that same judgement line at some level about what is ok and what is not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Agreed 100%.  Lots can factor into when that step is taken. For my older daughter it happened while at a showcase, she was walking by a couple of college coaches as they were discussing a certain player that was there. Both of them had big red X's over her profile page...why? Because she threw her bat and helmet when she struck out in one of the games they were watching her in. That player just kissed goodbye 2 potential DI offers because of that one mental breakdown and didn't even know it. But my daughter did and learned a very valuable lesson from it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Pete - agree, for me it's the lack of trying that frustrates. I've watched at least a dozen goals be waived off scored by my own daughter that actually went in, hit the back cross bar and came out so fast they never saw them as "in". It happens. But when they're too lazy to even be in the right position to make the right call, can't pay attention to a clock,  or can't even skate from one end of the ice to other, that's when I just find it ridiculous and insulting to the girls who put in the work to do their best out there every day and the parents who have committed their time, money and taxi's in order for their daughters to do it.  I know for a fact that one of the ref's that was in our game vs. Dedham is a ref that multiple youth referee schedulers have stopped using because he is so inept.  But yet the MIAA hasn't figured it out yet?? Boggles the mind. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

I noticed that St. Mary's tied ND Hingham 3-3.  Previously ND Hingham lost to Braintree 5-3.  Braintree lost to Norwood 5-1 and just beat Milton 1-0.  I know it's a stretch to come to any conclusions in the first few games, but does this mean St. Mary's isn't much better that the midrange Baystate teams?  Or, did St. Mary's have an uncharacteristically bad game against NDH.  Or, did NDH have an uncharacteristically bad game against Braintree.  I care because NN is playing St. Mary's in a couple of weeks, and, on the face of it it, having beaten Milton it looks like NN should be more than able to compete with St. Mary's.

If St. Mary's is weak this year, they are going to have a tough time against Reading on Monday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

The refs at the Lincoln/Sudbury - Tewksbury/Methuen game this weekend were excellent.  None of the homerism you normally see at the Valley Forum Wink.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Eh, can't say I've noticed much "homerism" in the ref situation for the girls so much as it's just ineptitude. Glad to hear there are at least some games out there that have ref's that know what they are doing. 

Not at the game, so I don't know anything else, but Natick and Framingham currently tied 1-1 end of 2nd. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well NNDad, Woburn took care of ND Hingham tonight 5-1, and have beaten some of the same teams Reading has topped so far, by slightly better margins.  So it will be interesting to see how the StM vs Reading match turns out tonight.   I expect Reading to win with something like a 4-2 or 5-3 score.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to PetefromNorthofBoston's comment:

Well NNDad, Woburn took care of ND Hingham tonight 5-1, and have beaten some of the same teams Reading has topped so far, by slightly better margins.  So it will be interesting to see how the StM vs Reading match turns out tonight.   I expect Reading to win with something like a 4-2 or 5-3 score.

I was rooting for Reading to win by the same scores as you, but it looks like StM rose to the occasion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Yup, thought Reading had turned it up a notch.  Will get a chance to read about the game in the local papers I hope in the next day or so.  Reading is still a pretty young team and StM has a lot of tradition to fall back on if challenged.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

An update, looks like StM was fortunate to emerge with a win in the game.  Down 2-1 after 2 periods, they scored 2 pp goals (one a 5-3) to take the lead 4-3.  Shots on goal heavily favored Reading - 41 to 16.  StM got 3 goals on only 6 shots in the third.  Penalites in the game were about even.  So the StM goalie had an excellent game stopping all those shots.

Woburn kept up the balanced scoring with 5 different girls scoring in their 5-1 win over ND-Hingham the same night. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

thanks for game update pete. did hear that Reading was a good skating team with depth but has a hard time scoring. It looks like the numbers (41) shots bears that out. Reading v Woburn should be a good one

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Saw Medford today , BL not what she use to be, seems to have lost a step.maybe just who she is playing with but not the same player. Maybe a bad day.has anyone seen her play this year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Reading 2 Billerica 2 anyone have any info on the play of this game?? Billerica always plays tough but Reading have let down??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

From what I saw on Twitter, Reading scored twice in the last minute to gain the tie.  Either they took Billerica lightly, or Billerica is better than we think...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Billerica may have a bad record at the moment, but they may also have had the toughest early season schedule.  Every team they have played is ranked in the top 21 by espn, and, except for a bad loss to AB, they appear to have either tied or been within a goal or two against Andover, Duxbury, Westford, and Westwood, and Andover just took down Arllington Catholic, who some were picking as the top team going into the season.  I don't think the tie reflects too badly on Reading, I just think Billerica is much better than their present win-loss record indicates.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Reading is still a fairly young team, the few seniors are not the major contributors so far this year, mostly the sophmore crew.  Billerica is better than their record if you look at who they have played.  They lost 2-1 to Duxbury and Andover.  Only 3-1 to Westford and tied Westwood 1-1.  Billerica has not been scoring much, only 6 goals in 6 games, but they have been tight in almost all their games.  That being said, I would have expected Reading to come out on top. 

Reading also played to a tie the other night against Barnstable 1-1.  In that game Reading had a number of PP chances (including what appears to have been some 5-3 time, that all came up empty.)  

It is still early in the season and many games to go, but interesting to follow none the less.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Some follow on from the Box score on the Reading-Billerica 2-2 game.  Billerica goalie had an outstanding night and almost pulled off the win.

Shots on Goal - Reading 16-5-21-42; Billerica 1-6-2-9.  Billerica scored its goals in the second period

Reading scored at 14:07 and 14:32 of the 3rd to tie it up. 

That ice was heavily tilted all game it sounds like.  Only one penalty called all game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

It seems Reading can skate with anyone, just has not found a way to finish.I would think by middle of season on someone will lead the way. That being said if that happens they will be in the thick of thing come tourney time

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

Exciting season looks like its setting up to be a very competitive year.  Great competition for most teams, although looks like a few teams have much easier schedule which really helps to pump up player stats but it will be interesting to see where those teams end up in March.   Any thoughts on this?   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Which teams are you thing have easier schedules??there are some very weak teams but most coaches play there top players less against poor competition. i would hope so anyway. Did some high scores though

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

If I had to pick a team that was running up goals against weaker opponents, I'd pick Beverly/Danvers, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of how there games were played.  For all I know their 3rd line scored 9 goals against Cambridge.  In their defense, and in defense of other good teams in big confereneces, in conferences like the Baystate and Middlesex, each team has 10 division games and 6 crossover games, give or take.  This only leaves a few opportunities for out of conference games.  Again, in their defense, Beverly/Danvers is playing some tough out of conference games, StM, Woburn, and Dux.  They didn't do this last year, and had a a relatively short run in the tournament.  On the other hand, St.M is in such a small conference that they have the freedom to play  whatever schedule they want.  And, I think wisely, they are playing all comers.  This strategy won't make for the best stats, but they will be much better prepared for a compeditive state tournament.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Schedules are often made years in advance, so sometimes matchups that looked competitive when booked can end up otherwise when they actually occur.   I agree with NNDad, that there are some teams that routinely book top out of conference foes every year, and doing that sets them up well for the rigors of the playoffs.  I know one reason Woburn has gone deep, even in "off years" was due to their schedule and the caliber of teams they play.  For example in 2007-2008 they ended the season with the 14th seed (12-5-3), yet ended up in the State semi's losing in OT.   Or a couple of years later in 2009-2010 when they had the 22nd seed (9-6-5) and ended up in the State Finals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

I had no idea they booked their schedules years in advance (or may have) that really surprises me Pete but as usual you always have good info.      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I know they try to do that, sometimes to set up series of home and away matches.  I know the bigger leagues have a harder time grabbing opponents for the open weeks, so that try to do that ahead of time.   it is clearly not as hard to find time slots/ice time as it is for the football teams with limited time slots and weeks, but pretty sure most programs try to set things up with some lead time.   The thing that puts a crimp on things is teams are only allowed a certain number of games each year, so even if you had game slots available, the MIAA might not let those games happen.  Some tournements are given exemptions from those limits I beleive, which lets teams play in them.  Which is why the teams in that end of the Season Pilgrims Showcase Tourney have more than 20 games on their schedule, which I think is the nominal limit otherwise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

On the subject of weak opponents and inflated player stats, I was looking at Beverly/Danvers stats to see whether they have been running up the score on weaker opponents with their top line or were spreading the goals around.  As it turns out, 28 of their 35 goals have been scored by 3 players, who I am guessing are the first line.  This seems like sort of poor sportsmanship, but what really caught my eye was that their top goal scorer is an 8th grader, and their starting goalie is an 8th grader.  I'm not against teams bringing up 8th graders when they need them because they don't have the numbers to support a team, but B/D has 18 skaters and 2 goalies.  Without these three eight graders they would still have 16 skaters and a goalie.  This seems like a clear case of bringing up a small number of 8th graders simply to win more games, not because the program needs them to survive.  What do others think?

Sections
Shortcuts