1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Re: EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

Saw the score but did anyone see the game?? Reading 3,  Woburn  0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In response to hockeyfanok's comment:

Saw the score but did anyone see the game?? Reading 3,  Woburn  0

Okay hockeyfanok, cut it out, we all know your daughter plays for Reading, it's blatantly obvious from reading your past posts; tell us about the game and how great Reading is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch2727. Show blerch2727's posts

Hi everyone...took me a while to figure out how to navigate here with the new set up of the website. Wanted to offer a clarification on my "trap" commentary. As others seemed to have picked up on, what I should have used was "packing it in." The trap is a frustrating form of hockey to watch, but completely legit. And I do understand that a lot of teams feel they need to utilize one, the other, or sometimes both to beat more talented teams. I also empathize with certain teams who seem to face quite a bit of it.

Also, I should point out that just because there is an overwhelming disparity in SOG, that doesn't mean that teams were trapping or packing the zone. I watched the Usruline-AC game...ice was heavily tilted toward AC but Ursuline played them straight up. Same with Andover and some others. And Winchester did open things up in the second period when they got their goal.

And has already been noted, zero chance of St. Mary's using that sort of tactic. It's just the nature of the team they have and a great coach adapting to it. Very defensive minded, goalie playing at another level as a senior, and being very opportunistic and efficient when scoring chances present themselves.

Lot of thoughts from the Woburn-Reading game over on our site, one recap for the newspaper plus a longer, in depth look at Reading on our hockey blog. I'll have video highlights posted before morning as well.

I'll be at the AB-Reading game on Monday and possibly bouncing around a bit on Saturday, haven't decided where or how many I'll hit as of yet.

Anyone has any questions or comments for me, I think most of you know how to find me. I'll check in here from time to time as well. Keep supporting the girls and the sport.

Bruce

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Go Beez, it may sound it but I do not have a daughter playing nor am I from Reading. I have seen  several teams play from that league( Middelsex) this year and feel Reading right know is the best. Reading does have two good teams coming up Watertown/Belmont and AB, so lets see. Never thought I would see Woburn get two 0 in a row either

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Go Beez, it may sound it but I do not have a daughter playing nor am I from Reading. I have seen  several teams play from that league( Middelsex) this year and feel Reading right know is the best. Reading does have two good teams coming up Watertown/Belmont and AB, so lets see. Never thought I would see Woburn get two 0 in a row either

Got it. Based on prior game scores of Reading this season, I was surprised at outcome. Goes to show that any team can have an off night and it might be the best thing for Woburn to get this one out of their systems now versus later. Woburn giving up 3 is not common.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

GB

I agree, at this time i think Woburn in a little funk and Reading is trying to make a statement.Coach Bob will right the ship, at the end of season they will be right there with the best of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanatic. Show hockeyfanatic's posts

Wellesley seems to be the team to beat along with Falmouth this year, playing great team hockey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

In response to hockeyfanatic's comment:

Wellesley seems to be the team to beat along with Falmouth this year, playing great team hockey.
    Frown

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad01. Show HockeyDad01's posts

In response to hockeyfanatic's comment:

Tewksbury/Methuen might belong in that group.  Unbeaten and untied so far.  A solid win over Billerica yesterday.  A big test in Andover coming up on Saturday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Woburn might also have some things going on.  Local paper mentioned that they were basically playing just 9 skaters + a goalie the other night.  Some of their accomplished forwards were spending a lot of time on D.  That would help account for what have seemed to be off games, by their standards.  Bruce has some nice video he posted on that game of the scoring.  Not much the goalie could do on them once there was a rebound.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Three unbeaten teams have tough games this weekend, Tewksbury/Methuen vs. Andover, Beverly/Danvers vs. St. Mary's, and Watertown/Belmont vs. Reading.  I'm picking Andover, St. Mary's, and Watertown/Belmont.  I expect all three games will be close.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In response to NNDad's comment:

Three unbeaten teams have tough games this weekend, Tewksbury/Methuen vs. Andover, Beverly/Danvers vs. St. Mary's, and Watertown/Belmont vs. Reading.  I'm picking Andover, St. Mary's, and Watertown/Belmont.  I expect all three games will be close.

I'll go with Andover, Bev/Dan & Reading

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Andover, St Mary's, Reading win all three undefeted teams lose

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

St Mary's will not have an answer to deal with Bev/Dan 8th grader

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

In response to Go Beez's comment:

I think the only answer will be the goalie if she plays as good as she has all year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsforum. Show sportsforum's posts

Great teams always finds a way to win.  In my experience a team is a bunch of players who all want the same thing, to win.  The teams that have stat-driven players and special treatment from their coaches and are not treated all on the same level, with  the same respect will never go all the way.  Talent helps but doesn't beat all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In response to Go Beez's comment:

I think the only answer will be the goalie if she plays as good as she has all year

Hat trick for 8th grader!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Go Beez, good call

Hats off to the 8th grader,

I am going to try and see one of thier games to see what all the talk is about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Go Beez, good call

Hats off to the 8th grader,

I am going to try and see one of thier games to see what all the talk is about.

She's a force! Although, I think it is a shame that Bev/Dan was granted an MIAA waiver to get her when they already have a full compliment of high school age players on their roster. Coach knows full well that this girl has no intentions of playing public when she is of age and got her only to make a run at title; making a mockery of the MIAA. MIAA should put that program on probation Based on the coaches sneaky actions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

The 8th grader undoubtedly is a great player, my guess is she will probably stay in public one more year then repeat 9th grade at a prep school (of her choice).. Right... Makes sense..., thats usually the track for prep school recruits.   Good for her she must have worked very hard to get to that level of play!  I wonder how parents of kids sitting on the bench feel about it, that has got to be hard to watch, however, at the HS level the main goal of these teams is to get to the Garden postseason.  Has MIAA ever really cared about the 8th grade thing with girls?    Girls hockey competition in EMASS hockey is great and is getting better each year, this will probably become a hot issue at some point but until then, it will be fun to watch the success of someone so young.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Well, I went 0 for 2 picking St. Mary's and Watertown/Belmont.  I wonder when the Andover/Tewksbury Methuen game will be rescheduled so we can see if I go 0 for 3.

On the 8th grader issue, I think it has kept a lot of teams going, which helps grow the sport.  Newton South wouldn't have been able to field a team for the past few years without 8th graders.  That being said, I think it opens the door for the kind of unnecessary use of 8th graders on teams like Beverly/Danvers who bring them up simply to make their teams more compeditive.  That's why, though it seems like rooting for the Yankees, I was hoping for a St. Mary's win (of course St. Mary's has eight graders too, but thats a whole different discussion).

What I really bugs me is that girls are expected to go to prep school if they want to have a serious chance of playing in college.  So the top talent goes to prep school, so the most compeditive hockey is played in prep school, so if you want to be compeditive you have to go to prep school.  Is that cycle ever going to change in Massachusetts.  Another NN parent pointed out that hockey seems to be the only girls sport in Massachusetts where girls don't regularly go from top public school teams to a D1 college teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

Well, I went 0 for 2 picking St. Mary's and Watertown/Belmont.  I wonder when the Andover/Tewksbury Methuen game will be rescheduled so we can see if I go 0 for 3.

On the 8th grader issue, I think it has kept a lot of teams going, which helps grow the sport.  Newton South wouldn't have been able to field a team for the past few years without 8th graders.  That being said, I think it opens the door for the kind of unnecessary use of 8th graders on teams like Beverly/Danvers who bring them up simply to make their teams more compeditive.  That's why, though it seems like rooting for the Yankees, I was hoping for a St. Mary's win (of course St. Mary's has eight graders too, but thats a whole different discussion).

What I really bugs me is that girls are expected to go to prep school if they want to have a serious chance of playing in college.  So the top talent goes to prep school, so the most compeditive hockey is played in prep school, so if you want to be compeditive you have to go to prep school.  Is that cycle ever going to change in Massachusetts.  Another NN parent pointed out that hockey seems to be the only girls sport in Massachusetts where girls don't regularly go from top public school teams to a D1 college teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

Agree to need for MIAA waiver and co/ops for programs that NEED it to field a team and keep programs afloat. St Marys obviously needs waiver based on quick look at their roster. Abuse of waiver program needs to be monitored for abuse (Bev/Dan!) and dealt w/ accordingly.

Interesting, sad but true, observation of hockey being the only public HS sport where girls don't go to D1 colleges. Cycle will not change any time soon; take a look at all top U14 &U16 club teams rosters and you will see that almost every player is enrolled in a Prep school.

By the way, there is absolutely no way that this Bev/Dan 8th grade star is going to be there next year; you'll most likely finds her on Nobles roster!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfanok. Show hockeyfanok's posts

NN Dad

I think if you check all D1 school rosters for every sport you will not find that many public school  girls or boys. Pick any D1 school, go to every roster for every sport and you may find 1 out of 50 from public schools. Lets go to say BC or BU just for women sports and I think the numbers will bear that out.I do not think D1 schools really look at many public school girls, especially in hockey. Everyone lives the dream thinking their kid is the next D1 prospect. If any girl or boy can get a private school education and play a sport, good for them. The parents made the right decision for their kid

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

1st, Wellesley is very good but must generate more offense to be a serious threat in March.  They are going to have a tough time scoring when the games get tight.  If they figure that out they are a serious threat in D2.  Most likely scenario is they win a couple of games then face a Westwood or Falmouth in semi.  This is when they need to find a way to score.  Should be fun watching them.

2nd, B/D girl is very good, but needs to improve her speed to crack the N&G lineup (if that's where she goes, which I doubt based on her location)  More likely she goes somewhere North or boards.  Great hands and shooting and finds a way to get it off against average to good talent, but very good Prep teams will easily stop her at this point of her career IMHO.  Maybe she follows her big sister to GA.

Sections
Shortcuts