EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

As requested, here it is. Who's looking good this year? Who's improved but not quite there yet? Who graduated their best and are hoping for an influx of freshman and sophomores to Varsity to help re-build?

I'll start things off with Framingham since that's the team I know best.

Returning 8 of 9 starters from last year, team is a year older on all fronts both on the mental aspect of the game and developmentally. 7 of 8 returners now have a minimum of 2 seasons of tournament ball under their belts, 4 of those hav 4+. Incoming frosh pitcher who can hit her spots well and has good velocity added to the returning Junior pitcher. 1 Sr committed to a DII program for next year, 1 to DIII. Only defensive position to be filled from a JV player moving up or incoming frosh is right field. Infield, pitching and 2/3 of outfield is solid. Team made post season last year for first time since 2004 and is looking to take it the finals this year. They have the talent to do it, the question mark is do they have the mental toughness to overcome the coaching deficiencies and mind games that they seem to like to play with their players. If they can avoid the drama and just play their game, there will be very few who will be able to stop this team from reaching their goal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Re: EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

Hockeymomsrule - Thanks for starting the thread.  I might be jumping the gun here, because my daughter is a freshman.  Despite the fact that NN lost only 5 varsity players, I think she has a pretty good chance of making the team.  I should also say that much of my information I is second hand.

I gather that NN was pretty strong last year, but they lost their starting pitcher, SS/League MVP, and #2 hitter.  Their Soph. pitcher should be able to step into the starting pitcher roll, and there is a solid freshman pitcher coming up.  I think their infield is solid, I know nothing about the outfield, and it will be interesting to see if they will be able to replace the bats they lost.  I know a core of players have been working out over the winter, and they couldn't have a better coaching staff.  My daughter was luckey enough to play for the head coach in field hockey, and she was great.  She gets along with the players, but she works them hard, and motivates them without playing any head games.

Since I'm new to this it's hard to say how their season will go.  If my daughter makes the team, I'll let you know more after they actually play a game or two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

NN does have a solid coaching staff, if not rambuctious. You'll get that as the season goes on if your daughter makes varsity. :-) They are fortunate in what they have, we do not have that during the  h.s. season. We have No emotion. No facial expressions. Just a grim face with arms folded across the chest no matter the situation, and not very good at the strategic on the go type of thinkinkg that is needed in close games. I played Pac 10 in college myself so I'm a parent that has experience to go with my opinions. Strong as they may be, they are usually right. :-) Yes, the pitcher you graduated was very good, she was one of the few to strike mine out last year, although mine got her back with a few solid ropes too. You will definately miss her and of course the ever amazing Miss KC. Thankfully mine is at the point where she got to pick her college coach and was fortunate enough to be recruited by one that is very similar in style to her tournament team coach so all will be well in the end for her. The coolest part is KC and mine grew up playing hockey together and they are going to end their athletic careers playing softball against each other at competing schools in the NE 10 Conference. Personally, I just want this Senior season to be over so I can start watching some good college ball when they start their pre-season in the fall :-) Good luck to your daughter in tryouts, I have a frosh daughter too but she's got no shot at Varsity due to her position and what they actually need. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:

NN does have a solid coaching staff, if not rambuctious. You'll get that as the season goes on if your daughter makes varsity. :-) They are fortunate in what they have, we do not have that during the  h.s. season. We have No emotion. No facial expressions. Just a grim face with arms folded across the chest no matter the situation, and not very good at the strategic on the go type of thinkinkg that is needed in close games. I played Pac 10 in college myself so I'm a parent that has experience to go with my opinions. Strong as they may be, they are usually right. :-) Yes, the pitcher you graduated was very good, she was one of the few to strike mine out last year, although mine got her back with a few solid ropes too. You will definately miss her and of course the ever amazing Miss KC. Thankfully mine is at the point where she got to pick her college coach and was fortunate enough to be recruited by one that is very similar in style to her tournament team coach so all will be well in the end for her. The coolest part is KC and mine grew up playing hockey together and they are going to end their athletic careers playing softball against each other at competing schools in the NE 10 Conference. Personally, I just want this Senior season to be over so I can start watching some good college ball when they start their pre-season in the fall :-) Good luck to your daughter in tryouts, I have a frosh daughter too but she's got no shot at Varsity due to her position and what they actually need. 

NN? Is?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to Hockeychix's comment:

NN? Is?

Newton North.  Any softball input Hockychix?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

I see that NN is suppose to participate in the King Philip Softball Jamboree this weekend.  I wonder what the chances are that that will happen.  What's the snow cover like in Wrentham?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

No idea, but they did get less than we did up here with the last one and our fields were clear before that storm, so it's a possibility. It's a nice facility down there, wish our coaches would put them into things like that. We just do a few scrimmages here and there instead. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Maybe their fields will be clear by Sunday, the rain date.  But it seems that it would take at least a day or two after the snow melts for the infield to dry depending on the infield material and drainage.

Sorry about your daughters coaching situation.  I guess it was her tournament team that kept her going.

It looks like my daughter has made varsity, they worked out in groups yesterday, and she was with the returning varsity players.  She will probably be taking the SS spot that KC held for four years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BumpBailey. Show BumpBailey's posts

Has anyone ever seen BB&N softball?  They have four players who play on four different college showcase teams and their best hitter is a sophomore who doesn't play summer ball.  KB is already commited to Boston College for hockey, but she could bee a D1 softball player if she chose.  Two years ago she won the Lynn (BOYS) Babe Ruth League HR contest. 

They have a junior pitcher who throws over 60 mph, threw four No-Hitters last year and K'd 193 batters. 

They finished third in the ISL and graduated only 1 player, their 9th batter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

In response to NNDad's comment:

NN? Is?

Newton North.  Any softball input Hockychix?

Not yet, have to wait til teams are selected and season underway.   Thanks NN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

This is an excerpt from the lynn item today written  by joyce erekson re: St marys softball... just food for thought.

QUOTE from coach of smh: Another thing this team has in its favor is it has players who know how to win. Vanbuskirk, Callahan, Finigan, Butler and Doucette were all on the St. Mary's girls hockey team that won the Division 1 state championship last Sunday. The last time the Spartans won a hockey state championship, the softball team also won a state title.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BumpBailey. Show BumpBailey's posts

This is an excerpt from the lynn item today written  by joyce erekson re: St marys softball... just food for thought.

QUOTE from coach of smh: Another thing this team has in its favor is it has players who know how to win. Vanbuskirk, Callahan, Finigan, Butler and Doucette were all on the St. Mary's girls hockey team that won the Division 1 state championship last Sunday. The last time the Spartans won a hockey state championship, the softball team also won a state title.

Coach Colleen Newbury at St. Mary's of Lynn is a great coach.  State champs again I'd bet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@BumpBailey I'm new to HS Softball.  Is prep softball as much above MIAA softball as it is in hockey where much of the top talent goes to prep schools, as that is generally the path to D1.  Also, does KB play catcher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdf4GeT4ELA).

@Hockeychix I'm a little surprised so many hockey players are on the softball team.  At NN they tend to gravitate to lacrosse.  I also looked at ABs batting stats for last year, and there must be something wrong, because the globe shows she had 12 HRs, but no RBIs.  I've heard she's a pretty good softball player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

@BumpBailey I'm new to HS Softball.  Is prep softball as much above MIAA softball as it is in hockey where much of the top talent goes to prep schools, as that is generally the path to D1.  Also, does KB play catcher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdf4GeT4ELA).

@Hockeychix I'm a little surprised so many hockey players are on the softball team.  At NN they tend to gravitate to lacrosse.  I also looked at ABs batting stats for last year, and there must be something wrong, because the globe shows she had 12 HRs, but no RBIs.  I've heard she's a pretty good softball player.

not sure of her record but shes amazing at every sport ...  lacrosse does attract hock players but at Sm i dont think its that big... Not really that sure

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BumpBailey. Show BumpBailey's posts

My experience with HS softball is that the top 3 teams in any league can compete in any other league after that talent, organization, and commitment drop off fast.  For example, St. Mary's players take the field with an expectation and they seek to meet it.  Then Coach Newbury squeezes out the player's potential, motivates, coaches smart, and produces a champion.  Not every program has that. 

On any team most players are not true softball players they are kids who play softball, so after batters 1-4 skills drop off quickly.  A good team has a couple of dedicated tournament players and a good pitcher.  60 mph pitchers in Mass you can count on 1 hand. 

Is prep better than MIAA?  A lot of kids who play prep repeat a year when they come over so skill players are often a bit older.  Schools like Phillips Andover and Cushing can have post grads, essentially 13th graders.  So when you go to play the iron or non-league games, they are the iron.  However, I've seen prep schools with teams that middle schools could beat too.  Is prep better than MIAA in softball?  In my opinion they're even over all. 

KB is a catcher but so is the senior captain who is also the catcher for the Concord Raiders Gold.  KB plays 3b and ss.  The AB mentioned above, if that is AB at St. Mary's she's a great little player but if she had 12 hr, they're in the park HRs.

Finally stats, they're misleading.  A ball tipping off a RF's glove and rolling into the next county isn't an HR its and error.  When a pitcher strikes out 2 batters and the ss errors a ground ball for out #3 and the pitcher lets in the next 7 runs, those runs aren't earned runs, they never should have happened.  When a batter is safe at 1st and the lead runner is out at 3rd, thats not a hit.  Since coaches supply stats and kids often keep books stats are ridiculously inaccurate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to BumpBailey's comment:

60 mph pitchers in Mass you can count on 1 hand.

Who are the returning lights out softball pitchers in MA?  And while I'm on the subject, what percentage of pitchers have more than two effective pitches?  In U14 B level and the few A level tournaments she's played in, I don't think my daughter has actually seen anything but fast balls and change ups.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Shannon Smith returns to Milford High for her senior year after committing to Kentucky last year as a Junior. She is without a doubt the #1 pitcher in the State. She has a fastball, curve, change up, drop and rise that are all right on the money and if they miss, they don't miss by much. Framingham's pitcher has a fastball, pretty nasty curve when she hits it and a change up that she can hit all pretty consistently. Drop and rises are in progress but coming along and are usable in the right situations.  Natick has a sophomore pitcher who also has a fastball, curve, drop, rise and change up and she also has pretty nice control on hitting her spots. Framingham and Milford also have the advantage of having the majority of their players on tournament teams that have been playing at the Class A level for 3+ years, some even longer. Milford has I believe 8 of 9 starters playing tournament ball and Framingham has the same. Coincidentally most of them play for the same organization and both teams have players that are already committed to DI or DII schools for softball.

There is a HUGE difference in the level of game between U14 B and playing against these teams that are loaded with tournament ball players. King Phillip/Walpole is another program that is stacked with high level tournament ball players.  I believe St. Mary's plays DIII for softball so I have never seen them play and have no insight as to what they have or don't have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Congrats to your daughter NN, that is awesome. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Congrats to your daughter NN, that is awesome. 

Thanks, she's happy.  Hope the fields dry out enough that they can get some scrimmages in this week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BumpBailey. Show BumpBailey's posts

The 60 mph pitchers that I have seen throw: Shannon Smith, Milford,Sr., Courtney Erickson, BB&N, Jr., Kayla F---(cant spell it), Natick, Soph., Kayla Maloney, Phillips Andover, Sr.

Smith, Erickson and Maloney all play for the Rhode Island Thunder. The Thunder is the elite organization in New England.  They build D1 players. Kayla F. played for the Connecticut Charmers. I have seen these girls on radar at tournaments.  If you look at the HS pitchers who come near 200 strike outs per season you'll find the 60mph pitchers.  Kiara Amos, Malden and Meg Rico, KP were legit flame throwers who both went D1. 

For whatever reason Shannon Smiths totals aren't recorded, Courtney Ericksons only show ISL totals, not non league.  Phillips Andover, Kayla Maloney's aren't available.  However, I've seen these kids throw and they strike out 2 an inning or 12 a game on bad days. All of them have multiple pitches.

I've heard Antzack from Central Catholic, Soph throws hard and based on her numbers she's up there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Just for clarification purposes for those who don't know the landscape in the Class A/Gold world of softball, it's the RI Thunder Gold team, the others not so much. Central Mass Thunder isn't far behind in their production of DI and DII players. I think both organizations are going into this tournament season with 6+ Senior players committed to DI or DII colleges for the fall and a couple of Jr.'s verbally committed. Games between the two organizations are typically really fun to watch. For the North Shore/Southern NH area the Diamond Gems are the top producer of college level talent. It's nice to see the New England area finally producing consistent talent that is being taken seriously by DI and DII schools throughout the country. It's been a long time coming and our girls are finally catching up. Tournament/year round ball has truly made the difference for them. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicat4. Show Alicat4's posts

Just for clarification purposes for those who don't know the landscape in the Class A/Gold world of softball, it's the RI Thunder Gold team, the others not so much. Central Mass Thunder isn't far behind in their production of DI and DII players. I think both organizations are going into this tournament season with 6+ Senior players committed to DI or DII colleges for the fall and a couple of Jr.'s verbally committed. Games between the two organizations are typically really fun to watch. For the North Shore/Southern NH area the Diamond Gems are the top producer of college level talent. It's nice to see the New England area finally producing consistent talent that is being taken seriously by DI and DII schools throughout the country. It's been a long time coming and our girls are finally catching up. Tournament/year round ball has truly made the difference for them. 

Hockeymom, I know that there are some very good travel teams and they get quite a few into D1s, but dont get caught up in it. If you follow these girls in college, the success rate is very low. Most of them struggle or hardly play, but their parents are proud they are in a D1 school. New England girls for the most part are still behind the eight ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to Alicat4's comment:

Hockeymom, I know that there are some very good travel teams and they get quite a few into D1s, but dont get caught up in it. If you follow these girls in college, the success rate is very low. Most of them struggle or hardly play, but their parents are proud they are in a D1 school. New England girls for the most part are still behind the eight ball.

Alicat - Totally agree. My own wouldn't have a prayer at getting recruited to my own alma matter but she did land herself at a solid NE school in a decent conference. Having grown up out on the left coast and played my college ball at Pac-10 school, I know very well the disparity between our New England girls and the Southeast/West and West Coast players. However, with that said, the New England area has at least in recent years finally started to figure out what they need to do to develop their players and are heading in the right direction. Baby steps. Step one is getting these girls noticed and them getting recruited to these schools. That is starting to happen on a yearly basis. Each graduating class has a handful of players moving on to DI or DII ball. Those parents should be proud of their daughters. Those girls are some of the first from this area to even get that far. Step two is getting them developed to where they are going into these schools as freshman ready to make the step into college ball and taking on playing time. The level of ball in this area today as compared to where it was when I first moved out here in the middle of high school (that was brutal!) is night and day. For me, high school ball was equivalent to what I was playing at 12U out west and there was little to no tournament ball to speak of. We were that far behind then. While high school ball is still too inconsistent to be anything to speak of, our 18U Gold and Class A teams are closer to 16U from the more known areas of the country that produce softball players. Our teams still have a tough time at national tournaments when they have to face the west coast/southwest/east teams, but they are at least now having competitive games against them for the most part. Then again, our girl hockey players pretty much walk all over girl hockey players from other parts of the country. So much of it is the region they are and the sport that their climate is the most friendly to. <said as I look out my office window at the pile of snow in the parking lot at the end of March - season is 6 weeks old out on the west coast as of this week. Our girls have barely started>

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

If the snow wasn't bad enough, according to my daughter NN can't use it's new softball or baseball fields until they clean up the goose dung on the fields.  They are worried about the health hazard.  Apparently goose droppings contain a number of pathogens that can make you sick, but I never heard of an athletic field being closed because of goose droppings before.  Hopefully the fields will be cleaned up before the first game Monday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

If the snow wasn't bad enough, according to my daughter NN can't use it's new softball or baseball fields until they clean up the goose dung on the fields.  They are worried about the health hazard.  Apparently goose droppings contain a number of pathogens that can make you sick, but I never heard of an athletic field being closed because of goose droppings before.  Hopefully the fields will be cleaned up before the first game Monday.

Where are they playing this year? No longer at the field behind the school on the other side of Fessy?