Is "14 yellow cards and you're out of the post-season" too tough a rule in Mass HS soccer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortho777. Show Ortho777's posts

Is "14 yellow cards and you're out of the post-season" too tough a rule in Mass HS soccer?

When most soccer at pro and college levels has anywhere upwards of 3 or 4 cards a came or more (google it), why does MIAA have a limit of 13 yellows in an 18 game season? Exceed that and no state tourney.
    Isn't the yellow card enough of a penalty? Two yellows (red) and you sit 2 games. Two reds and you're out for a year.
    If a kids swears on the basketball court he gets a technical. If he fouls out of 7 games, his team isn't eliminated from the playoffs.

The bar is too high on this. Not saying I don't agree with some limit but it's a physical game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Re: Is "14 yellow cards and you're out of the post-season" too tough a rule in Mass HS soccer?

For the same reason we wore mouthguards in their 5 year experiment...the MIAA is run by a bunch of retired football coaches with no interest in trying to understand soccer.  Look how the tournament is run every November for further proof...the brackets are a mess(10 teams in the West and 24 in the North!!!) and neutral sites often turn into home games for a hosting team.  They never have a backup plan or a contingency, they throw their hands up and say "it's too tough to change venues". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Is "14 yellow cards and you're out of the post-season" too tough a rule in Mass HS soccer?

In Response to Is "14 yellow cards and you're out of the post-season" too tough a rule in Mass HS soccer?:
    [QUOTE]When most soccer at pro and college levels has anywhere upwards of 3 or 4 cards a came or more (google it), why does MIAA have a limit of 13 yellows in an 18 game season? Exceed that and no state tourney. Isn't the yellow card enough of a penalty? Two yellows (red) and you sit 2 games. Two reds and you're out for a year. If a kids swears on the basketball court he gets a technical. If he fouls out of 7 games, his team isn't eliminated from the playoffs. The bar is too high on this. Not saying I don't agree with some limit but it's a physical game.
    Posted by Ortho777[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rule? 13 yellows for one player he can't play in the postseason or 13 yellows for an entire team?

I don't agree with the MIAA on a lot of things, but actually tend to side with them on this issue. It is high school, you would like it to be a competitive atmosphere, but at the same time you don't want goons out there hacking away at the other team's best forward. To an extent, it's a good teaching tool and teaches the kids to respect the players and refs no matter how bad they are? However, on the flip side of the coin, the refs need to use common sense when issueing red and yellow cards.

I didn't like the mouth guard idea, that should be between the coaches, player's and parent's, it shouldn't be an MIAA issue. I agree with scrapa with the seeding and number of teams in each section. How many times is East Boston going to get the #1 or #2 seed only to get knocked out in the first round by an 8-8 team from the Bay State or DCL?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortho777. Show Ortho777's posts

I did a little more research. Found some other states: In Wisconsin, it's 20 yellows and you can't play post season. In Missouri and Delaware there is no team limit to yellows.

Also, the MIAA on their web site speaks of a move to change this rule to make it more flexible. I emailed the MIAA because this makes no sense. I went to see Leominster and Algonquin tonight and there were 3 or 4 cards. It's nuts. The bar is too high.

Sections
Shortcuts