MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

I study high school soccer all year round, to go 4-5 so far in my predictions.

Attleboro. Really, couldn't beat the last place team in the BSC? With all that hype? Ugh.

Note to Barnstable, thought they had experience beating below .500 teams, mostly in their division, guess I was wrong.

Dracut over Central Catholic, could understand Dracut winning, but figured CC probably just forgot to show up.

N. Reading over H-W, nobody outside N. Reading saw that one coming.

Franklin over Needham, again never can predict which Needham team will show up to the tourney. Franklin faded badly down the stretch. Very surprised with this result

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

I think attleboro tied Sharon late in the year, needham ???don't they have the bolts in town giving private lessons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Framingham 3 Cambridge 1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

Marshfield definately not the players of years ago.  Not taking anything from D-R, D-R had the more creative play.  Some of the Marshfield players couldn't trap a ball, make a pass to an open man, it was disappointing soccer.  Only Sheridan and Sjoquist resembled soccer players, Marshfield did have some speed but definately not the Marshfield teams of old.  D-R had some good young players Rosa, sophmore, GK and Rego and some other boys.  D-R played better soccer and Marshfield couldn't get things going.  Ref blew the second goal against Marshfield, definately offsides not sure how he missed it.  D-R was more dangerous and overall deserved the win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    [QUOTE]I study high school soccer all year round, to go 4-5 so far in my predictions. Attleboro. Really, couldn't beat the last place team in the BSC? With all that hype? Ugh. Note to Barnstable, thought they had experience beating below .500 teams, mostly in their division, guess I was wrong. Dracut over Central Catholic, could understand Dracut winning, but figured CC probably just forgot to show up. N. Reading over H-W, nobody outside N. Reading saw that one coming. Franklin over Needham, again never can predict which Needham team will show up to the tourney. Franklin faded badly down the stretch. Very surprised with this result
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Don't feel like you're alone.  I went 0 for in all my D1 South picks.  I'm with ya... Needham, OA, DR, Braintree.  Phoning the psychic hotline might be a better option than thinking about this stuff logically.  Who is picking NB, BC High, Weymouth and Brockton all to be out next round.  The way things are going, I wouldn't bet either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

Is the Durfee and NA game still going on.  It started at 2:30 so someone has to have a result.  If you know it post it.Sealed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Marshfield definately not the players of years ago.  Not taking anything from D-R, D-R had the more creative play.  Some of the Marshfield players couldn't trap a ball, make a pass to an open man, it was disappointing soccer.  Only Sheridan and Sjoquist resembled soccer players, Marshfield did have some speed but definately not the Marshfield teams of old.  D-R had some good young players Rosa, sophmore, GK and Rego and some other boys.  D-R played better soccer and Marshfield couldn't get things going.  Ref blew the second goal against Marshfield, definately offsides not sure how he missed it.  D-R was more dangerous and overall deserved the win.
    Posted by jason12343[/QUOTE]

All your points were definitely on the money. However, D-R didn't have the greatest season either at 8-8-2, losing to GNB twice, losing to Sekonk and Apponequet 4-1. Marshfield was at  home, conference they played in was quite a bit better and of course Marshfield with the better record. These things leave you scratching your head, but sometimes, especially in this day in age if a team wants it bad, it's enough to lift them over the top to victory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Is the Durfee and NA game still going on.  It started at 2:30 so someone has to have a result.  If you know it post it.
    Posted by jason12343[/QUOTE]

I'm going to take a guess and say Durfee might have won. The reason being was Durfee never called in a score all season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

If I had intentionally tried to pick all the losers, I would've been better off to this point.

I ended up picking Attleboro, but came very close to picking Braintree. However, that result wasn't too much of a shock, it was that one poster that kept hyping up Attleboro and I ended up buying into it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Watertowninghamleboro

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I'm going to take a guess and say Durfee might have won. The reason being was Durfee never called in a score all season.

Good point but the way the scores have been going, I'm not taking anything for granted. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Watertowninghamleboro
    Posted by scrapa-[/QUOTE]

Ha! The sad part is I never fall for that gag, but this time I did for some reason.

Norwell is still in the running. Cambridge isn't too far behind. However that latest Attleboro thread starter about no competition may have given them the award.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hssoccer10. Show hssoccer10's posts

Medford 2 Everett 1. Great game a lot of back and forth action. Medford scored after 4 mins off a set piece headed in. Everett then tied it off a free kick of their own. Medford scored the winning goal with right around 7 minutes left off of another set piece 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Anyone headed to any games this afternoon/tonight?

Andover beating E. Boston was a bit disappointing really, thought E. Boston at home had enough to get buy Andover, but I'm guessing their main two guys were still injured.

I'm liking a lot of the matchups in the next round, especially in the north.

Lynnfield vs. Georgetown looks like a good old fashioned defensive matchup, first team to score very likely to win. Georgetown has come on down the stretch.

It would not totally shock me to see Mansfield knock off Nauset tomorrow. In their last 3 games has knocked off Natick, King Phillip, Franklin and tied Attleboro.

Although I picked BC High to reach the finals, they have an extremely tough test against King Phillip, on the road, it's far from a guaranteed win.

I'm hoping to see Brookline meet up with L-S. If Brookline returns to form as they had earlier in the season, they have an outside shot at the upset.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from weknoitsucronin. Show weknoitsucronin's posts

are you kidding me if you saw the attleboro game at all the referee absolutely blew the game. A braintree player threw the ball into the net and the referee said that it tipped off the goalie which by replay shows it was not even close nobody touched the ball. Unless it is a new rule that you can throw the ball into the net then the referee absolutely screwed attleboro and their seniors that worked hard all year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]are you kidding me if you saw the attleboro game at all the referee absolutely blew the game. A braintree player threw the ball into the net and the referee said that it tipped off the goalie which by replay shows it was not even close nobody touched the ball. Unless it is a new rule that you can throw the ball into the net then the referee absolutely screwed attleboro and their seniors that worked hard all year.
    Posted by weknoitsucronin[/QUOTE]

Replay? I'd like to see it. Tell him/her to upload it on youtube.

The thing is, even if that goal wasn't allowed, Attleboro still didn't score. If you don't score you can't win.

Actually, there is no evidence the ref blew the game, because even if it were tied, there is no guarantee you would've won the game anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from weknoitsucronin. Show weknoitsucronin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Replay? I'd like to see it. Tell him/her to upload it on youtube. The thing is, even if that goal wasn't allowed, Attleboro still didn't score. If you don't score you can't win. Actually, there is no evidence the ref blew the game, because even if it were tied, there is no guarantee you would've won the game anyway.

yes there is no guarantee but it should be up to the players not the referees horrible call that cost them the game in overtime. Braintree also did not score because your not allowed to throw a ball into the net. The video of the game was taken by a local channel and it will be a couple of days before they put it up ill make sure to post the link

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : yes there is no guarantee but it should be up to the players not the referees horrible call that cost them the game in overtime. Braintree also did not score because your not allowed to throw a ball into the net. The video of the game was taken by a local channel and it will be a couple of days before they put it up ill make sure to post the link

Alex's point is well-taken. What was Attleboro with all of their high-profile talent, at HOME, doing in an overtime struggle with Braintree to begin with? Yes, it's painful to be out, but give Braintree credit. They battled and stayed in the game and found a way to win. Not to mention that Braintree barely missed several chances to win the game before the flip throw play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : yes there is no guarantee but it should be up to the players not the referees horrible call that cost them the game in overtime. Braintree also did not score because your not allowed to throw a ball into the net. The video of the game was taken by a local channel and it will be a couple of days before they put it up ill make sure to post the link

I'm not trying to disprectful in the least. However, if everyone was so sure of the call, there would be no need to watch the replay . The referee didn't have an instant replay to go by. Why should anyone else? The point is referees will make mistakes, it stinks considering most times it can favor a team in one direction. It's part of the game. It's unfortunate if the referee missed the call, however I think it's also up to the coach to teach adversity and how to handle tough situations. However, if the referee was intentionally favoring one team, that's a whole other issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Again, not being disrespectful, but think Attleboro needs to point the finger at themselves before pointing the finger at the ref.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

ATTLEBORO - It's a matter of mere inches, memories at a moment's notice on the soccer field. Such were the sad ones left on the soccer field at Attleboro High School Saturday afternoon.

Because the Bombardiers were banished from the MIAA Division 1-South Sectional Tournament, suffering a stunning 1-0 loss in overtime to Braintree High.

The loss was bad enough, the manner in which the 12th-seeded Bombardiers (8-4-7) were sent to the sidelines for the season will be a tale forever. That is, because Braintree scored the match-winning goal, with two minutes left in the first of the two 10-minute sudden victory sessions on a throw-in of all things.

"Sometimes you need a little luck," sighed Attleboro High coach Peter Pereira as he and the Bombardiers were stunned into silence after the Wamps' senior captain and midfielder Patrick Ellis made a somersault, vaulting throw-in from the left flank toward the AHS goal.

"We've probably scored half of our goals that way," related Braintree coach Gary Burke of Ellis' strong throws into the penalty box area. This time, however, no Wamp ever touched the ball. But, it did glance off of an AHS defender into the goal - an own goal. The match was over. The Bombardiers and Wamps attacked and defended with gusto through 80 scoreless minutes, two teams working with determination. The pace of play, the level of competition was more than anticipated, more suited for a championship match - that's how badly each team desired to advance.

"That was a great high school soccer match," added Burke. "It was back and forth, Attleboro is such a hard-working team. That's what it takes, one break."

The Bombardiers had no less than a half-dozen pure chances to take the lead during regulation time. AHS generated 11 corner kicks, seven during the second half. And the Bombardiers produced nine actual shots at Wamp goalkeeper Kevin O'Halloran, a converted midfielder.

In the overtime period, Tom Wampler slotted a through ball to Troy Martins in the fourth minute, the ball scurrying wide left.

During the second half, in the 80th minute, Kerry Lubin unleashed a left-footed curveball that bounced just wide left of the goalpost. In the 76th minute, Dom Machado sent a ball into the goalmouth where Derek Pereira was robbed point-blank.

Machado had a pair of corner kicks off the left wing at 42, another at 58, a one-timer of a pop shot pushed over the net at 55, a direct kick forcing a save at 57. Martins had a pair of corner kicks in the 64th and 67th minutes, another in the 80th minute. In the first half, Machado had corner kicks at 2, 6 and 39 and uncorked a right-footed shot just over the net at 9. Martins sent a header just over the crossbar at 15, Alain Laurent had a deflection at 19.

"We had shots, they outscored us," said Pereira.

Truth be told too, the Bombardiers had any number of dizzying displays of defense to postpone Braintree from taking the lead. During the second half, right back Brian Cox blocked a point blank shot by Wamp midfielder Jared Rizzo at 42, while sophomore goalkeeper Spenser Powell came up with two spectacular saves, a point-blank stop at 61 and another on Wamp defender Chris Naughton, making a solo breakaway run in the 79th minute.

Powell had only one true testing save during the first half, that on a high ball off of an indirect kick at 18, in addition to tipping away a Wamp drive to the top right corner at 43.

"They played right with us," added Pereira. "They got a break when it counted - that's how it works."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from weknoitsucronin. Show weknoitsucronin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I'm not trying to disprectful in the least. However, if everyone was so sure of the call, there would be no need to watch the replay . The referee didn't have an instant replay to go by. Why should anyone else? The point is referees will make mistakes, it stinks considering most times it can favor a team in one direction. It's part of the game. It's unfortunate if the referee missed the call, however I think it's also up to the coach to teach adversity and how to handle tough situations. However, if the referee was intentionally favoring one team, that's a whole other issue.

everyone knew right when it happened that it wasnt a goal. Braintree didnt even celebrate and im pretty sure if you think you scored a legitimate goal in overtime in the playoffs you would celebrate. The only person that thought it went it was in fact the referee the replay is just proof nobody needed it to know that nobody touched it. An the fact that it went into overtime is not a knock on attleboro whatsoever its the playoffs it is a completely differnt game in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

I was at the game and this Attleboro account is not accurate.  Braintree definitley celebrated right away.  The Ref was standing right near the goal line and had a terrific vantage point and didn't waiver in calling it a goal.  In contrast the crowd was a good 10 yards off the field of play because Attleboro had them roped back so any fan that claims it was obvious is looking at this through their teams shade of glasses.

It may in fact have been a bad call but I don't think anyone really knows.  The Attleboro kids will claim nobody touched it and Braintree will claim it touched someone.  The only impartial person was the ref.  I also take issue with this claim that the replay will tells us anything.  The camera was positioned at midfield and I doubt it was that high tech of a camera to give anyone a good look especially considering the fact that the six yard box was crowded with players.

I've been to a ton of these playoff games and 90% of the time the refs are terrible.  The refs at this game made a couple weird calls including a 50-50 call that could have resulted in a penalty kick for braintree right at the end when a braintree player looked as though he was pushed in the back as he was going one on one with the keeper.  The refs weren't perfect in this game but they were not a problem either and thats a step up for the MIAA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from weknoitsucronin. Show weknoitsucronin's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the game and this Attleboro account is not accurate.  Braintree definitley celebrated right away.  The Ref was standing right near the goal line and had a terrific vantage point and didn't waiver in calling it a goal.  In contrast the crowd was a good 10 yards off the field of play because Attleboro had them roped back so any fan that claims it was obvious is looking at this through their teams shade of glasses. It may in fact have been a bad call but I don't think anyone really knows.  The Attleboro kids will claim nobody touched it and Braintree will claim it touched someone.  The only impartial person was the ref.  I also take issue with this claim that the replay will tells us anything.  The camera was positioned at midfield and I doubt it was that high tech of a camera to give anyone a good look especially considering the fact that the six yard box was crowded with players. I've been to a ton of these playoff games and 90% of the time the refs are terrible.  The refs at this game made a couple weird calls including a 50-50 call that could have resulted in a penalty kick for braintree right at the end when a braintree player looked as though he was pushed in the back as he was going one on one with the keeper.  The refs weren't perfect in this game but they were not a problem either and thats a step up for the MIAA.
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

your out of your mind when the goal was scored all of the braintree players looked at the referee. And when the video comes out i will post it the cameras clearly show it was not touched the cameraman showed it to me after the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE] The refs at this game made a couple weird calls including a 50-50 call that could have resulted in a penalty kick for braintree right at the end when a braintree player looked as though he was pushed in the back as he was going one on one with the keeper.  The refs weren't perfect in this game but they were not a problem either and thats a step up for the MIAA.
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Braintree got robbed, they should've won 2-0 instead of 1-0.

Sections
Shortcuts