MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from socrfan2. Show socrfan2's posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Sorry, not sure I fully understand your question, but I'll try to answer. I'm guessing you wanted my thoughts on D-2N going forward, which includes all the teams left. North Andover, Winchester, Arlington, Concord-Carlisle. The first thing that has caught my eye is Arlington with a home game against higher seeded Winchester. I really don't have an answer for this.  Honestly, they really need to hire a tournament director for soccer, someone that knows the team's, knows the atmosphere etc. It's at this point, between the unbalanced teams(south, north etc), random seeding, back to back games and now giving lower seeds a home game, which makes me question the MIAA's competence in running a fair and balanced tournament. Concord-Carlisle has a slight advantage being closer to home and having played on AB's turf before. Concord-Carlisle and Winchester win easy, but you probably knew that. In regards for N. Andover to have a chance, they have a history in the tournament of allowing a lot of goals, with the exception of this season. Both of their wins were 1-0, which gives them a fighting chance. Tarbox mentioned before the season he didn't have the offensive weapons from last season, so maybe they are going with a more defensive alignment. If N. Andover is hoping to have a chance, they really need to figure out a way to shut the CC attack down. Arlington has a history of going out early in the tournament, so to see them here is a bit of a surprise. You never know which Arlington team is going to show up. This year they have been quite inconsistent, however have won when they needed to. Home field advantage gives them a fighting chance. Winchester just got by Belmont, so it could be a sign they're tiring possibly.  Oddly, first game they just got by Lynn Classical, outside of one player really isn't very good. But then won convincingly over two pretty good teams in MC and Pentucket. 15-20 years ago I would've said zero chance, but more parity, deeper benches gives them a chance.
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

I agree Alex, what a debacle the MIAA has made of this tournament.  I was talking to my son's former coach and he was livid at the ineptness of the directors of this tournament.  He gave me two names Nancy Martins and William McGuirk.  If I did such a poor job at my profession, I would be put on administrative leave.  I don't think the goal is to hold these two accountable for their poor judgement.  What is the major issue is to establish rules to see that even though incompetent individuals are at the helm, schools can revert to an established set of rules to protect the interests of the participants involved.  Two revisions I would propose would be.
     1.  No team should have to compete in two tournament games within a 20 hour period.
     2.  The higher seeded team will retain home field advantage.  Within a designated time, 6 hours before game time, if the field is deemed not worthy of holding the match, the higher seeded team shall provide an alternative site.  If the alternate field is not available the MIAA director shall designate a preselected playing field. 
    The language isn't great but you get what I mean.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

It had me thinking what does Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and other schools that are on the island do for winter sports season? Must be a logistical nightmare.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUsoccer. Show RUsoccer's posts

Silver Lake vs Weymouth....Old School Match-up here (Johnson vs Shoff). Silver Lake has alot of club players and depth just ike Weymouth. Silver Lake started off slow but have been very strong through the second half of the season.   Should be a good challenge for Weymouth. A game worth going to see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

For info under the best of weather the KP  field is atrocious,  I think that the football team practices on it all the time and cattle at let out on it at night.  It is an embarassment (unless of course they changed to turf since last year).  If not MIAA should be commended for taking that field out of play, Maybe if will force KP to fix it or update to turf.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Silver Lake vs Weymouth....Old School Match-up here (Johnson vs Shoff). Silver Lake has alot of club players and depth just ike Weymouth. Silver Lake started off slow but have been very strong through the second half of the season.   Should be a good challenge for Weymouth. A game worth going to see.
    Posted by RUsoccer[/QUOTE]

Didn't Schoff end up taking a job with a local D-3 college after his departure?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

This might be a long shot, but does anyone remember or know the coach for Cambridge R+L 1998-2000, he coached the team that won D-1N and the year before bowing out to SJP? Was wondering where he was now. Someone mentioned it when I posted a long time ago, but those threads are long gone.

Despite having very athletic forwards, they used a ball control type of play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ackdad. Show ackdad's posts

[QUOTE]Westport in D3 until they face Weston up north. With these postponments, I dont see Dover-Sherborn getting past Nantucket, Nantucket took care of a very good Bourne team in the regular season, playing at home will make all the difference, that boat ride gets to you.
    Posted by slimsmitty1602[/QUOTE]

IF Nantucket can get by D-S, which won't be easy, I think they'd do well against Westport in a D3 South semifinal. They played Westport twice in the Spring South Coast league and defeated them 2-0 and 4-1. Granted the Spring and the Fall rosters are not exactly the same but I should think they are fundamentally the same. This weather/boat situation is unprecedented though - Friday looks good to play D-S . . . finally. Nantucket tied Bourne at home 1-1 early in the season then defeated them away 2-0. 

Cardinal Spellman is still a D3 South favorite to contend with though. Nantucket lost to CS 4-3 in the regular season at CS. The ref called a questionable PK with 2 minutes left in the game, with the score tied 3-3, on a CS corner kick. CS player takes the PK which was then saved by the Nantucket goalie, but then ref gives CS another PK attempt saying Nantucket goalie moved a foot just before shot was taken. CS scores on 2nd attempt then ref blows whistle - game over. Pretty sad finish to a great game in my opinion. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUsoccer. Show RUsoccer's posts

[QUOTE]This might be a long shot, but does anyone remember or know the coach for Cambridge R+L 1998-2000, he coached the team that won D-1N and the year before bowing out to SJP? Was wondering where he was now. Someone mentioned it when I posted a long time ago, but those threads are long gone. Despite having very athletic forwards, they used a ball control type of play.

I don't recall his name, but he had a very strong squad in 2000. Unfortunately they ran into an even stronger undefeated Marshfield team in the Emass finals that year.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUsoccer. Show RUsoccer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Didn't Schoff end up taking a job with a local D-3 college after his departure?

The last time I saw Steve, he was officiating a high school game on the south shore. Great coach and person, despite making some poor decisions in life.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tictac1211. Show tictac1211's posts

Should be an entertaining double-header at Arlington High School tomorrow:

Somerville vs. Brookline at 4
    Arlington vs. Winchester at 6:30

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

[QUOTE]Should be an entertaining double-header at Arlington High School tomorrow: Somerville vs. Brookline at 4 Arlington vs. Winchester at 6:30
    Posted by tictac1211[/QUOTE]

So Arlington is playing on its home field in a neutral site game?  Inexcusable this early in the tourney.  The other neutral site is right up the road in Woburn.  Move the Lex.  NN game to Arlington and make them play on a neutral site.  This is unbelievable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogboy55. Show dogboy55's posts

I think this home field advantage outrage is going a bit too far.  In a perfect world, neutral is preferable, especially if the visiting team would have to travel a great distance to the home teams field, or even if the playing surface were radically different.  But in this case I really dont see an issue.  

Winchester borders Arlington.  Both teams have a turf field.  I'm sure the MIAA wanted to take advantage of the good lights in Arlington for night games, when they set it up the schedule. With two games back-to-back they'll likely use the same officiating crew.  It makes sense.  Just because Arlington actually made it through (unlikely as that seemed a few weeks ago) you think they should change everything around?  For what??  Will Winchester feel disadvantaged?  Will fewer Winchester fans show up?  Highly unlikely.

too much grousing on this forum over location and the sins of the MIAA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Generally I would agree that the home field in a supposedly neutral site is a bit overrated however this year it seems a bit egregious in Braintree's case.  They have to travel an hour probably more since they'll be leaving during rush hour to get to New Bedford.  New Bedford has to travel all the way to New Bedford.  Why don't they just pick a point in the middle like say Brockton who has hosted these games too many times to count and done a good job doing so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Is it possible that the Bay State League could have all of the sectional final participants in Eastern Mass?  I tend to doubt it because I think Newton North and Braintree should be considered major under dogs in their games but you never know.  I like Weymouth's chances in their game and Brookline is more then capable of winning their game but you never know which Brookline will show up at this point in the tourny.  I'm really intrigued with the Braintree - New Bedford matchup.  Looking at New Bedford's schedule and I can see why they always have such a great record and lose early in the tourny.  They play nobody of any siginificance.

I see their one loss came to Madison Park and unlike a lot of people on these boards I don't respect Madison Park at all or really any of those City League teams.  So they might be vulnerable.  However, they did just beat a BC High program that definitely deserves respect.  So is New Bedford better then years past or will they falter again this season?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Is it possible that the Bay State League could have all of the sectional final participants in Eastern Mass?  I tend to doubt it because I think Newton North and Braintree should be considered major under dogs in their games but you never know.  I like Weymouth's chances in their game and Brookline is more then capable of winning their game but you never know which Brookline will show up at this point in the tourny.  I'm really intrigued with the Braintree - New Bedford matchup.  Looking at New Bedford's schedule and I can see why they always have such a great record and lose early in the tourny.  They play nobody of any siginificance. I see their one loss came to Madison Park and unlike a lot of people on these boards I don't respect Madison Park at all or really any of those City League teams.  So they might be vulnerable.  However, they did just beat a BC High program that definitely deserves respect.  So is New Bedford better then years past or will they falter again this season?
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

Brookline was really dominant to start the season and then faded around the middle to middle end of the season before finishing up strong. It was inconsistency on a game to game basis, which leads me to believe they may have gone through a rash of injuries during their struggle.

I saw the MP/NB score and thought NB was vulnerable. Probably the main reason I had BC High beating New Bedford, which didn't happen. New Bedford is supposed to be weaker than last season, however it's one team they keep falling to in the tournament, in Brockton, but they aren't in their way any longer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

How about some odds for winning the sectional?

Lexington 2-1
    Brookline 4-1
    Somerville 10-1
    Newton N. 15-1

Weymouth 5-2(2.5-1)
    New Bedford 4-1
    Braintree 16-1
    Silver Lake 50-1

Concord-Carlisle 2-1
    Winchester     5-2(2.5-1)
    N. Andover 25-1
    Arlington  40-1

Sandwich      2-1
    Canton          3-1
    Bp. Feehan  20-1
    Duxbury     25-1

Weston 2-1
    Rockport 3-1
    St. Mary's 25-1
    Boston Int. 35-1

Dover-Sherborn   3-1
    Westport           4-1
    Card. Spellman   6-1
    Nantucket        12-1
    Cohasset        20-1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

If Boston International wins their next game they might be the first Boston City team since at least 1993 or 1994 to make a sectional final, but I may be incorrect on that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from damianid. Show damianid's posts

How about this for refs....Lynnfield vs Ipswich girls north semis, the center ref did not blow three hand balls in the box that his side judge raised his flag for all.  All would went for Lynnfield's favor.  Lynnfield dominated the game and lost in PKs...I think there should be a grading system and those refs with high grades from coaches be chosen to ref tourny games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sochamps. Show sochamps's posts

Nantucket vs CS was a great game.  CS was up 3-0.  Nantucket tied it up.  Penalty was given on a clear take down in the box, whistle blew just as another CS player scored a goal on a bicycle kick.. ref called the goal back and awarded the penalty shot for the play before.  Goalie came out too soon on the first shot, Ref was right on the line, 2nd shot wins the game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Follow your nickname. He has played against top-level competition and performed at a very high level for a long time. Don't make it sound like he's from the country and racking up stats against Division 4 teams. The two all-americans didn't advance either. I've seen all these kids play, and he's at the very, very top, and in terms of the whole package, he very well may be at the top.
    Posted by southshoreexpert[/QUOTE]

No doubt he is a good player and sure a good kid.

He had 0 goals in their one tournament game I believe too.

I think player of the year or ALL New England should do more in a big spot.

Bet he'd trade all the stats to still be playing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : yes there is no guarantee but it should be up to the players not the referees horrible call that cost them the game in overtime. Braintree also did not score because your not allowed to throw a ball into the net. The video of the game was taken by a local channel and it will be a couple of days before they put it up ill make sure to post the link
    Posted by weknoitsucronin[/QU

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]are you kidding me if you saw the attleboro game at all the referee absolutely blew the game. A braintree player threw the ball into the net and the referee said that it tipped off the goalie which by replay shows it was not even close nobody touched the ball. Unless it is a new rule that you can throw the ball into the net then the referee absolutely screwed attleboro and their seniors that worked hard all year.
    Posted by weknoitsucronin[/QUOTE]

I was there and I have video it shows the goalie reaching for ball it's difficult to tell if he touches it even when I zoom in although it appears he did  because the Braintree team celebrated right away and the Attleboro players put hands on head knowing they just lost a heartbreaker. Besides don't feel bad Braintree went on to beat Walpole who had the best record in the Bay State League, and then the next night they beat Mansfield. Next up New Bedford. So you see Attleboro lost to a good team, hold your head up Weky.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

You clowns ranking on savonen are obviously jealous. Kid can't help where he lives and what teams are in his league. cut him some slack he played with a broken hand and during the game dislocated his shoulder but came back in. This site should be about the tourney, scores, and soccer.  No one should ever come on here and cut down a player. get a life will ya --- sportsrgood and dontbeanidiot

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : your out of your mind when the goal was scored all of the braintree players looked at the referee. And when the video comes out i will post it the cameras clearly show it was not touched the cameraman showed it to me after the game.
    Posted by weknoitsucronin[/QUOTE]

Again I have video of play and it clearly shows from my advantage point he definitely reaches for ball and touches it with fingers. Braintree celebrated right away and some Attleboro players were despondent and some pleading with ref.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]Weymouth at Brockton game.  Brockton had numerous opportunities to win the game in regulation.  With the wind at their backs and against the wind  Brockton were the more dangerous team in the run of play.  Weymouth's attack was generated from Robbie Lynch's 1 free kick and Lynch's awesome throw-ins that were constantly dangerous.  By the end of the game Brockton had lost their legs having five starters out of the game.  Weymouth battled for the victory but Brockton not winning the game in regulation did them in.  If the shoe is on the other foot and Weymouth had to play back to back and Brockton had a days rest you would've seen a very different result.  MIAA messed up this tournament by making certain teams play back to back and others not.
    Posted by socrfan2[/QUOTE]
    I agree, BROCKTON playing back to back games probably helped Weymouth, but it did'nt seem to hurt Braintree

Sections
Shortcuts