MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Alex, with all due respect, name another team that gave up their home field to play on the OTHER team's home field. No one has explained why KP didn't play locally at another field, or at a minimum neutrally, as all the other teams did that had unplayable home fields. And I think you went 0-4 on your South D1 quarter picks. Interesting South semis. Two unknown and/or lightly regarded squads against two powerhouses -- powerhouses on the field and in the media. That's what makes these tournaments great fun. Hard to believe NB gets to play in NB. Only in this case, Braintree was probably thrilled. Bigger the challenge, the better they like it. Had to win last regular season game just to qualify and already knocked off media favorites Attleboro and Walpole on the road, and an obviously underrated Mansfield on the road. Playing in NB for this game actually will be a disadvantage for NB as it plays into the Braintree story and obviously the Braintree kids don't care where they play. No team gets more media attention than Weymouth. Seems like they have a full expose replete with coach and player commentary every week. Seen any articles on Silver Lake lately? Most don't even know where or what Silver Lake is? SL will pose more of a competitive challenge in this game than most folks think, but look for Weymouth to find a way, any way, to advance. Then we'd be looking at a fascinating Weymouth-Braintree backyard clash. Karma edge to Braintree.
    Posted by southshoreexpert[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, I could'nt have said it better. Braintree is the cinderella story here that the press should be focusing on. For who does'nt like to see the underdog win. But for whatever the reason Braintree gets no respect. I guess if they beat New Bedford they will have to say something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jod20102. Show jod20102's posts

[QUOTE]You clowns ranking on savonen are obviously jealous. Kid can't help where he lives and what teams are in his league. cut him some slack he played with a broken hand and during the game dislocated his shoulder but came back in. This site should be about the tourney, scores, and soccer.  No one should ever come on here and cut down a player. get a life will ya --- sportsrgood and dontbeanidiot
    Posted by ohreallly[/QUOTE]

Great post, thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Where were all you fans in September? Good to have a big crowd, hopefully everyone sticks around until the end of the tourney. Has been some good soccer chat recently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Silver Lake is a good story, but don't think they've beaten anyone of signifcance, maybe a couple of Top 35-40 teams.  I think Weymouth blows out Silver Lake. Braintree's wins are a bit more impressive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

[QUOTE]Silver Lake is a good story, but don't think they've beaten anyone of signifcance, maybe a couple of Top 35-40 teams.  I think Weymouth blows out Silver Lake. Braintree's wins are a bit more impressive.
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Alex, I'm sure SL will thank you. The continued lack of regard only helps them. Hingham, Duxbury, Wellesley, and Franklin will all be glad to hear they are insignificant.

You are correct that no one can question Braintree's road to the semis and competition this season. They had a horrendous draw and beat Attleboro and Walpole back-to-back. Expect them to beat NB or at worst lose in OT.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I call it as I see it.

Canton drubbed them 6-0 earlier in the year and Weymouth defeated them 3-0 in the regular season.

I'll go on record in saying if Silver Lake beats Weymouth, I'll ban myself from posting for the rest of the tournament. I've been wrong before, but won't be wrong this time. Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

Silver Lake started out slowly, but they pulled it together and gave Hingham their first loss.  Still picking Weymouth, but SL isn't a bad team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

[QUOTE]I call it as I see it. Canton drubbed them 6-0 earlier in the year and Weymouth defeated them 3-0 in the regular season. I'll go on record in saying if Silver Lake beats Weymouth, I'll ban myself from posting for the rest of the tournament.

Did you talk to the Canton coach about what he thought of SL in that game? Anyone can look at a listing of scores. Is that your sole data source?

If SL beats Weymouth, how about you first post with a description of the game, and THEN ban yourself for the rest of the tournament. And maybe decrease your odds in the final from 50 to 1 to something like 30 to 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfollower56. Show soccerfollower56's posts

Having seen nearly 10 playoff games this year alone, it has become clear to me that MIAA must do something about the officiating in the tournament. I have seen blatant, missed calls in every game and it's sad to know that the officials have just as much impact on the game as the teams playing. This is not as much a testament to the officiating, as it is to the situation that these referees are put in by the MIAA. The solution is simple, no excuses, go to a three man system and let the game be decided by the teams playing the game. It is not fair to the players, or the refs to continue with this system and it is down right irresponsible by the MIAA to allow this to keep happening. Congratulations to the winning teams, and may the good soccer keep on coming!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Did you talk to the Canton coach about what he thought of SL in that game? Anyone can look at a listing of scores. Is that your sole data source? If SL beats Weymouth, how about you first post with a description of the game, and THEN ban yourself for the rest of the tournament. And maybe decrease your odds in the final from 50 to 1 to something like 30 to 1.
    Posted by southshoreexpert[/QUOTE]

I'm in Virginia actually,  so it would be hard for me to do all of that. I try to keep up with scores, articles and any other news media, not to mention the forum posts, though I tend to take those with a grain of salt.

I need some redemption with my 0-4 D-1 South picks last round. I wish no ill will toward Silver Lake, but I have to have this man. However, if you're willing to tape and post the game on  youtube, I would be more than happy to write up a report.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wgleslie. Show wgleslie's posts

[QUOTE]Having seen nearly 10 playoff games this year alone, it has become clear to me that MIAA must do something about the officiating in the tournament. I have seen blatant, missed calls in every game and it's sad to know that the officials have just as much impact on the game as the teams playing. This is not as much a testament to the officiating, as it is to the situation that these referees are put in by the MIAA. The solution is simple, no excuses, go to a three man system and let the game be decided by the teams playing the game. It is not fair to the players, or the refs to continue with this system and it is down right irresponsible by the MIAA to allow this to keep happening. Congratulations to the winning teams, and may the good soccer keep on coming!
    Posted by soccerfollower56[/QUOTE]

I am always bemused by the bashing of referees.  I doubt very much that you are a referee.  It is likely that you have no concept as to what it takes to officiate a match.  The fact that you, on the sideline or in the stands, think there are "blatant, missed calls", does not mean that those calls are, in fact, in error.  Point of view is critical, as is the feel of the game, the nature of the instance, and many other factors.

If you believe that the officiating is a problem, your solution is to require more officials (3-man vs 2-man)?  Would that not lead to a greater possibility of mistakes? Every sport requires officials - therefore resulting in a human element that can never be eliminated.  Officials must have an impact - that is the nature of sport.   A call not made can be as critical as a call made.  Are some officials better than others - absolutely. However, I know of no official with an agenda, no official who knowingly favors one team over another,  no official who does not bring integrity to the pitch.   Regardless of what it may seem to a fan, it just doesn't happen.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I am always bemused by the bashing of referees.  I doubt very much that you are a referee.  It is likely that you have no concept as to what it takes to officiate a match.  The fact that you, on the sideline or in the stands, think there are "blatant, missed calls", does not mean that those calls are, in fact, in error.  Point of view is critical, as is the feel of the game, the nature of the instance, and many other factors. If you believe that the officiating is a problem, your solution is to require more officials (3-man vs 2-man)?  Would that not lead to a greater possibility of mistakes? Every sport requires officials - therefore resulting in a human element that can never be eliminated.  Officials must have an impact - that is the nature of sport.   A call not made can be as critical as a call made.  Are some officials better than others - absolutely. However, I know of no official with an agenda, no official who knowingly favors one team over another,  no official who does not bring integrity to the pitch.   Regardless of what it may seem to a fan, it just doesn't happen.   
    Posted by wgleslie[/QUOTE]

Good points and well written.  Fans will never all be happy with all calls as long as there are two teams playing.  50% of the crowd will be unhappy with any call at any big game.

That being said, without the third official out on the field many calls are being make from a very long way away from the play.  No other sport has their officials this far away from the action.  Not football, basketball or baseball.  Why soccer?

Basketball uses two man games during the regular season and switches to 3 man games for the tournament.  Three man allows for better coverage and angles and less running.

Not sure why soccer would not do the same given the emotions and intensity of play during these games.  Sure money and pay have something to do with it. 

Lastly, there are a few guys I have seen that are just not in shape to run and keep up with a fast moving game played at a high level.  My guess is there is no test of an official's ability to run and keep up with 16-18 year old kids.  Maybe there should be to get these games like these

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Good points and well written.  Fans will never all be happy with all calls as long as there are two teams playing.  50% of the crowd will be unhappy with any call at any big game. That being said, without the third official out on the field many calls are being make from a very long way away from the play.  No other sport has their officials this far away from the action.  Not football, basketball or baseball.  Why soccer? Basketball uses two man games during the regular season and switches to 3 man games for the tournament.  Three man allows for better coverage and angles and less running. Not sure why soccer would not do the same given the emotions and intensity of play during these games.  Sure money and pay have something to do with it.  Lastly, there are a few guys I have seen that are just not in shape to run and keep up with a fast moving game played at a high level.  My guess is there is no test of an official's ability to run and keep up with 16-18 year old kids.  Maybe there should be to get these games like these
    Posted by SPORTSRGOOD[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.  The 3rd ref is important for all the reasons that you have cited, plus there is the safety factor.  With the game getting faster and more physical, it is doubly important for refs to get control of a game.  It keeps tempers in check, minimizes the chippiness, and diminishes the chances of injuries.  That is more likely with 3 guys (you figure one of them will be willing to blow a whistle -- even if nobody falls down).  Sure refs will miss a call now and then, but I'm ok with that--the human element.   It's the refs that let the game get away from them and physically out of control that tick me off way more.  As long as it ain't in the box, I'm for blowing the whistle early and often and keeping the game as safe as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wgleslie. Show wgleslie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Excellent post.  The 3rd ref is important for all the reasons that you have cited, plus there is the safety factor.  With the game getting faster and more physical, it is doubly important for refs to get control of a game.  It keeps tempers in check, minimizes the chippiness, and diminishes the chances of injuries.  That is more likely with 3 guys (you figure one of them will be willing to blow a whistle -- even if nobody falls down).  Sure refs will miss a call now and then, but I'm ok with that--the human element.   It's the refs that let the game get away from them and physically out of control that tick me off way more.  As long as it ain't in the box, I'm for blowing the whistle early and often and keeping the game as safe as possible.
    Posted by Clemlabine[/QUOTE]

The 3-person system has only one whistle - the person in the middle.  The two assistants provide valuable input, but they do not blow whistles.  The 3-person system has the advantage of having an official closer to play, where they can more easily interact with players.  It also has the advantage of referees always in-line with the last defender to more accurately call the offside.  These advantages are why the 3-person system is used once the sem-final stage of the regional tournaments are reached.  Unfortunately, there are not enough officials available early in the afternoon to provide three people for all early round games.

The balance of allowing play to flow (not calling minor infractions) and maintaining safety is a fine one.  It is not a simple line to draw.  Blow the whistle too often and frustration can develop.  Not blowing the whistle can lead to anger.  Again, it is a fine line.  If anyone wants to join in attempting to do so, the officials organization can always use more people! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]Of course the Braintree kids looked at the ref.  They were looking to confirm that it was a goal.  I think their reaction was typical of a goal that was of such a fluky nature.  Not too many goals are scored off a deflection from a throw in.  I'll be interested to see this "video".  Apparently Attleboro had multiple cameras that will give us great quality and tell the true story.  If this is true then I feel sorry for the Attleboro players that they would lose on that kind of mistake.  But call me skeptical that there is video that will give us a definitive answer. With that said Refs are not privy to looking at replay.  The box was really crowded.  Ellis had been doing his flip throw all game and everyone knew it was coming and that it was just as effective as a corner.  Braintree packed the box and Attleboro defended it as such.  If anyone is truly to blame for this its the Attleboro goalie who was caught in no mans land and didn't catch the ball.  Its not like Attleboro just allowed the ball to go in figuring it wouldn't count.  The ball was contested by a number of players and the goalie misplayed it.
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

i have video , i can e-mail it to you, not that savy ith youtube

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m8932. Show m8932's posts

Alex where did you see the cc v. salem footage?  i would love to see if you have a link.

as for the arlington winchester game ... its ridiculous it is in Arlington.  Arlington is a 20 seed (yes i know in a flawed system but these are the ranks we have) and Winchester is the 1 seed, blatant negligence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : i have video , i can e-mail it to you, not that savy ith youtube
    Posted by Boasted[/QUOTE]

No need, I appreciate it though.  Considering the Attleboro poster hasn't posted in a while, I'm guessing his "video" didn't show much to benefit his argument.  I was there and your take on the situation was the same as mine.  Braintree thought it was a good goal and it wasn't very clear with the naked eye for fans to see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

I got game reports on the Canton SL game,  Unless SL was missing 8 kids for academic reasons, It was the worst team they have seen all season, That includes stoughton and Sharon.  That being said anything can happen.....Watching games for 20 years there are a few things that apply,

(1)The Best Team does not always win
    (2) The more aggresive teams wins more than their fair share
    (3)  A Hot goalie is more important than a striker who is ODP or DAP
    (4)  Defense wins Tight games
    (5)  The team that looks good the first half is not guaranteed to win.
    (6)  mistakes are going to happen, either by the refs or by the team, and will determine a lot of the outcomes
    (7)  the team who complain to the refs the most seems to get more bad calls againest them
    (8) Coaching matters more than you think, I have seen so many teams lose because they have been outcoached.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesmarket. Show nesmarket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : IF Nantucket can get by D-S, which won't be easy, I think they'd do well against Westport in a D3 South semifinal. They played Westport twice in the Spring South Coast league and defeated them 2-0 and 4-1. Granted the Spring and the Fall rosters are not exactly the same but I should think they are fundamentally the same. This weather/boat situation is unprecedented though - Friday looks good to play D-S . . . finally. Nantucket tied Bourne at home 1-1 early in the season then defeated them away 2-0.  Cardinal Spellman is still a D3 South favorite to contend with though. Nantucket lost to CS 4-3 in the regular season at CS. The ref called a questionable PK with 2 minutes left in the game, with the score tied 3-3, on a CS corner kick. CS player takes the PK which was then saved by the Nantucket goalie, but then ref gives CS another PK attempt saying Nantucket goalie moved a foot just before shot was taken. CS scores on 2nd attempt then ref blows whistle - game over. Pretty sad finish to a great game in my opinion. 
    Posted by ackdad[/QUOTE]

The spring Westport team that you mention had 1 player from the current Westport High team. Don't put too much on those results. Most of those kids on that team go to Bishop Stang and don't play on varsity.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesmarket. Show nesmarket's posts

[QUOTE]How about some odds for winning the sectional? Lexington 2-1 Brookline 4-1 Somerville 10-1 Newton N. 15-1 Weymouth 5-2(2.5-1) New Bedford 4-1 Braintree 16-1 Silver Lake 50-1 Concord-Carlisle 2-1 Winchester     5-2(2.5-1) N. Andover 25-1 Arlington  40-1 Sandwich      2-1 Canton          3-1 Bp. Feehan  20-1 Duxbury     25-1 Weston 2-1 Rockport 3-1 St. Mary's 25-1 Boston Int. 35-1 Dover-Sherborn   3-1 Westport           4-1 Card. Spellman   6-1 Nantucket        12-1 Cohasset        20-1
     Any odds on whether or not DS/Nantucket will ever happen?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I'm hearing news over the twitter feed Newton North has beaten Lexington 2-1.

Brookline was ahead of Somerville 1-0 at the half.

Weston and Rockport tied at 0-0 at the half. The Vikes with a 7-0 shot advantage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores :  Any odds on whether or not DS/Nantucket will ever happen?
    Posted by nesmarket[/QUOTE]

Plenty off odds

5-1 odds that the ferry will sink before they reach Nantucket.

2-1 odds they will meet a man from Nantucket.

10-1 odds the MIAA will force Dover and Sherborn to split if they win the D-3 state title.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Final Brookline over Somerville 1-0, they will play Newton N.

Concord-Carlisle 1 N. Andover 0

Rockport 2 Weston 0

St. Mary's 5 Boston International 4 OT(must have been an exciting game!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohreallly. Show ohreallly's posts

Canton and Duxbury tied at 0 with 15 minutes to go...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

my north Bracket is blownup completely...Newton North seems to be finally benefitting from the years of MPS and very well run youth program....

Sections
Shortcuts