MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : It was certainly an exciting game, but I would contend the level of soccer played was surprisingly low. I expected much better play from both sides, but much of the game was sloppy kick and run. Both teams had their moments, but overall I've seen much better high school games (in terms of level of play).
    Posted by emasssoccer2010

I thought that Winchester was the best team CC has played (including very good LS, NA, and AB teams).  If it didn't seem like high level soccer, I would submit it was because Winchester played such high level defense.  They were very fast, very physical, and very hungry....making CC have to do everything quite a bit faster than they would have preferred. Winchester were the bigger kids, but like good wrestlers they would scrum with low, strong hips often running CC off the ball for much of the first half.  CC held their ground better in the second half.  They got used to the defensive pressure and intensity, started winning their fair share of headers, and kept the ball on the ground where they seemed the better club.  CC did get the better of the play after half, though they still needed a very good game from their goalie.  These were different style teams, but both seemed plenty worthy of getting to the semis.  

A couple of notes: I would say that the CC had great boisterous fans, but they were sometimes annoying and whiny.
    I would say the the Winchester coaching staff had their kids coached up and ready, but they were also very whiny. 
    Tough, physical game to ref, but the ref didn't deserve the constant whining of both of these groups.
    Girl's Belmont--Danvers game was a peach, unfortunately decided by the dreaded shoot-out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Halftime, Rockport and St. Mary's were scoreless.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

New Bedford defeated Weymouth 1-0 in PK's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socrfan2. Show socrfan2's posts

Anyone have the score Weymouth vs. NB?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from socrfan2. Show socrfan2's posts

New Bedford defeated Weymouth 1-0 in PK's.
    Posted by AlexFilides

Thanks, Alex

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogboy55. Show dogboy55's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I thought that Winchester was the best team CC has played (including very good LS, NA, and AB teams).  If it didn't seem like high level soccer, I would submit it was because Winchester played such high level defense.  They were very fast, very physical, and very hungry....making CC have to do everything quite a bit faster than they would have preferred. Winchester were the bigger kids, but like good wrestlers they would scrum with low, strong hips often running CC off the ball for much of the first half.  CC held their ground better in the second half.  They got used to the defensive pressure and intensity, started winning their fair share of headers, and kept the ball on the ground where they seemed the better club.  CC did get the better of the play after half, though they still needed a very good game from their goalie.  These were different style teams, but both seemed plenty worthy of getting to the semis.   A couple of notes: I would say that the CC had great boisterous fans, but they were sometimes annoying and whiny. I would say the the Winchester coaching staff had their kids coached up and ready, but they were also very whiny.  Tough, physical game to ref, but the ref didn't deserve the constant whining of both of these groups. Girl's Belmont--Danvers game was a peach, unfortunately decided by the dreaded shoot-out.
    Posted by Clemlabine

Great note Clemlabine.

Winchester a balanced and tenacious team.  Not big players very competitive.  #4 benn Bratt is a gem.  He was the deciding factor in the Arlington game.  (Arlington deserves much more credit than they are getting this season.  A true "no star" team.  they gelled end-of season like Newton North and made a heroic run.)

All i can say is how much better the quality of TEAM soccer looks now than 5 years ago.  Back them teams relied on a few club players and "athletes" from hockey programs, etc. 

Today?  The good athletes are playing soccer.  so great to see.

semper fi.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I thought that Winchester was the best team CC has played (including very good LS, NA, and AB teams).  If it didn't seem like high level soccer, I would submit it was because Winchester played such high level defense.  They were very fast, very physical, and very hungry....making CC have to do everything quite a bit faster than they would have preferred. Winchester were the bigger kids, but like good wrestlers they would scrum with low, strong hips often running CC off the ball for much of the first half.  CC held their ground better in the second half.  They got used to the defensive pressure and intensity, started winning their fair share of headers, and kept the ball on the ground where they seemed the better club.  CC did get the better of the play after half, though they still needed a very good game from their goalie.  These were different style teams, but both seemed plenty worthy of getting to the semis.   A couple of notes: I would say that the CC had great boisterous fans, but they were sometimes annoying and whiny. I would say the the Winchester coaching staff had their kids coached up and ready, but they were also very whiny.  Tough, physical game to ref, but the ref didn't deserve the constant whining of both of these groups. Girl's Belmont--Danvers game was a peach, unfortunately decided by the dreaded shoot-out.
    Posted by Clemlabine

I agree with you that Winchester played a very high level of defense -- their sweeper (#4) was All-State this year and has committed to play at Wesleyan. He's one of the strongest backs I've seen, and this is the third season in a row Winchester has been able to play a 3-back system with an offsides track with him at the core successfully (2008 - North Finalists, 2010 - North Finalists, 2nd and 1st in Middlesex League). The sloppy play I was referring to came in the midfield -- I felt that for both teams, there was a huge gap in the middle and they both struggled to connect with their forwards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Rockport 1 St. Mary's 0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xsoccer92. Show xsoccer92's posts

Rockport 1 St. Mary's 0
    Posted by AlexFilides

I'd love to see a Rockport/DS semifinal matchup. Both teams are loaded with talent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I'm not so sure that first goal by Winchester went it, I'm watching the video. After the Winchester forward headed it toward the goal, the CC defender may have knocked it back out. However, in fairness, I did not have the best vantage point on the video. Any thoughts? Remember the whole ball has to cross the goal line.

Pavlik had a great halftime speech, kept his kids calm. What an amazing second goal by CC. Definitely from what I was viewing, it was college caliber soccer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

The sloppy play I was referring to came in the midfield -- I felt that for both teams, there was a huge gap in the middle and they both struggled to connect with their forwards.
    Posted by emasssoccer2010

Part of that had to do with how physical the game was.  The referee was letting a lot of tough play go on.  That contributed a great deal to the lack of pretty play through the midfield.  Both teams marked tight, played physical, and pressed hard.  The quality was there, but this wasn't a game conducive to looking good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m8932. Show m8932's posts

where can i find a video link to the CC Winchester game?  i would love to rewatch the build up to the second goal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

where can i find a video link to the CC Winchester game?  i would love to rewatch the build up to the second goal.
    Posted by m8932

http://cchsmenssoccer.com/CCSoccerVideo.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Any reports on the Sandwich vs. Canton game?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Weymouth has to be terribly dissapointed with their performance.  They were up a man for the last 60 minutes of regulation plus 20 minutes of OT and were still unable to score a goal against New Bedford.  Hats off to New Bedford for their effort.  When you can hold down a team for that long down a man then you deserve to go through.  Weymouth created a ton of half-chances and just couldn't score.  So they exit the tournament in the South Sectional Finals having never surrendered a goal in the tournament.  I didn't see the red card but there is little doubt in my mind that it was deserved.  For one the ref was right there and immediately issued the card and the Weymouth player was furious at somethin because there was a minor scuffle after what the New Bedford player did.  For another that kid (Tiago Dourado) was harrasing Braintree players all night long off the ball in the semi-final.  By harrasing I mean throwing elbows, tugging shirts and pushing when the ref wasn't looking.  So I'm not surprised he pulled something in this game as well.

Robbie Lynch and Baptista went at it all night long and both players were really good.  I'd have to give a slight edge to Lynch though because he seemed to be getting under Baptista's skin.  Baptista was even given a yellow for incessant fouling on Lynch. 

I think Weymouth has more talent then New Bedford from the top of their roster to the bottom but New Bedford probably has a more top-heavy talented roster.  Baptista and number 10 along with their sweeper were all excellent last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I'm glad New Bedford did come out on top. No way should that game have been played in Weymouth, especially with NB as the higher seed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Weymouth has to be terribly dissapointed with their performance.  They were up a man for the last 60 minutes of regulation plus 20 minutes of OT and were still unable to score a goal against New Bedford.  Hats off to New Bedford for their effort.  When you can hold down a team for that long down a man then you deserve to go through.  Weymouth created a ton of half-chances and just couldn't score.  So they exit the tournament in the South Sectional Finals having never surrendered a goal in the tournament.  I didn't see the red card but there is little doubt in my mind that it was deserved.  For one the ref was right there and immediately issued the card and the Weymouth player was furious at somethin because there was a minor scuffle after what the New Bedford player did.  For another that kid (Tiago Dourado) was harrasing Braintree players all night long off the ball in the semi-final.  By harrasing I mean throwing elbows, tugging shirts and pushing when the ref wasn't looking.  So I'm not surprised he pulled something in this game as well. Robbie Lynch and Baptista went at it all night long and both players were really good.  I'd have to give a slight edge to Lynch though because he seemed to be getting under Baptista's skin.  Baptista was even given a yellow for incessant fouling on Lynch.  I think Weymouth has more talent then New Bedford from the top of their roster to the bottom but New Bedford probably has a more top-heavy talented roster.  Baptista and number 10 along with their sweeper were all excellent last night.
    Posted by miked070707

I was at this game and I agree with much of what miked07 wrote. Fantastic atmosphere. And edginess on the field and in the crowd. The very tough mostly Irish Catholic kids from Weymouth vs. the very tough Portuguese, Cape Verdean kids from New Bedford. A classic heavyweight fight, and you got the feeling that both teams had grudging respect but did not like each other.

Not a beautifully played game as both teams, especially Weymouth, seemed intent on being as agitating and physical as possible as though to prove that they wouldn't back down. Seemed as though both teams thought they couldn't give up any edge in the testosterone department, and I thought Weymouth got perhaps too focused on trying to get inside New Bedford's heads instead of just figuring out how to win the game. Which is not to say that Weymouth didn't have their chances, as they had tons of Lynch throw-ins and corners and at least one of those chances would have led to goals against any other team. New Bedford has a huge center back, really good outside backs, and a very good goalie, but they were fortunate to survive all the the Weymouth chances through a whole game and 2 OTs.

Watching New Bedford warm-up I thought they looked like a college team, and not a low level college team. I think they were more skilled across the board than Weymouth. They have a very, very good back line, also a strength of Weymouth, and of course they both have exceptional center mids. Baptista looks like he could play in the MLS right now. Looks like a man against boys, and Lynch looked like a boy next to him. Baptista was terrific and I give him credit for not completely losing his cool as Lynch bodied, backed into, stuck his head in his chest, and anything else he could do all night. Baptista was very irritated but never completely snapped. His yellow wasn't for fouling...it was delay of game when he kicked a ball away from Weymouth for a restart. I'd give the edge to Lynch overall, who would almost score on one end and 10 seconds later make a key defensive stop on the other. He is a phenomenon, and you have to see him in a few games to fully appreciate his game. He just keeps coming and coming and coming. I've never seen a kid with his will to compete and win, and that puts him on a edge that he sometimes teeters on. Anyway, great, great matchup between those two. I'm sure Baptista does not want to see Lynch anytime soon unless Lynch ends up on HIS team.

I was astounded that the NB player put his team at a disadvantage so early in such a big game, especially given the big-game heartbreak NB has suffered in recent years. Also very surprised that the NB coach wouldn't have made sure that this didn't happen, given how prepared NB looked overall and how badly NB wanted this game. Hard to know whether the ref caught the retaliation and missed the instigation, and it was hard to tell throughout the game who was instigating and who was retaliating, and maybe there was some of both. Like I said, nobody was giving an inch on either side.

NB was very fortunate not to lose the game, and I give them credit for hanging in there on Weymouth's field in front of a huge Weymouth crowd through 2 OTs. They would not have lasted much longer. NB's coach could not even watch the PKs, as he was more than 80 yards away (and away from his team) with his back turned. For the record, he did not seem to challenge the red card and looked intense but overtly calm throughout the whole game. At the 20 minute mark of the 1st half there was no way to imagine that NB was going to prevail so in that regard the NB coach and team did a fantastic job persevering through what looked like yet another NB self-destruction.

Heartbreaking game for either team to lose, and was a battle very worthy of a championship game. Credit the Weymouth GK and defense for not giving up a single goal in 4 tournament games, including the very talented Brockton and NB sides.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

Any reports on the Sandwich vs. Canton game?
    Posted by AlexFilides

Think it was a fairly evenly played game.  Sandwich had the best of it in the first half and could have been up more, at least 2-0.  The Canton defense was good and made some great plays to keep the ball out of the net.  Their keeper made some good saves as well.  The shot for the goal by Alveranga was a bullet. 

Canton had the edge in corners and used the long throw in to their advantage to put pressure on Sandwich in the second half.  They kept the ball in front of the Sandwich net and eventually they knocked one in.   They use the throw in as a real advantage.

Sandwich had a couple good chance in the ot but again Canton keeper made the saves. 

Interesting decision by the Sandwich coach.  The player who took and missed the 8th pk that could have won the game was hurt and had been sitting for the last 20 minutes and both ot periods or about 40+ minutes.  The coach is quoted in the Globe as saying "he was getting  stronger as the game worn on".  It was quite apparent that he was not 100% as he did limp some as he went out for the kick.   If he was getting "stronger" not sure why he would not have gone back into the game?

The player who missed on the 9th kick was already out on the field thinking he was going to take the 8th kick and was called back and Herras was allowed to kick.  Sure that was not good for his confidence as he watched the other player limp out to replace him.  

It may be a small point but at this level game every little thing matters.   It was a very tough spot to put a great and tough player in and a he had played a great game to the point of the injury.  Sure he wanted to do it but the coach should have gone with the player he had on the field.  

He also made one very interesting substitution in the ot playing a player that had not played any significant time during the year and had been brought up from the JV team over a few kids that had been playing all year.  Curious time to put an untested player in the game at a position he had never played in a varsity game with the season on the line.   Baffling.

My opinion is it is time for the coach and asst. coach to retire.  The head coach is not in the class of the Canton or CC coach and his assistant spends most of his time yelling at the kids.  Not likely to happen as I am sure they look at all the juniors coming back and figure they have one more run.  Too bad, as this group could be so much better with a quality coach who would do more than drop the balls on the practice field and have the kids shoot and scrimmage. 

Always easy to second guess from the stands I guess but that what makes it fun.  

Both Canton and Sandwich had a good amount of juniors on the field in key position.  My guess is they meet again next year at sometime.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvlfan01. Show tvlfan01's posts

DS 1 Cohasset 0.  Well played game.  Nice to see the ball on the ground so much.  Cohasset knocked one off the bar in the first half but did not really threaten after that.  DS controlled the better part of the game.  Congrats to Cohasset and good luck to DS against Rockport.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Think it was a fairly evenly played game.  Sandwich had the best of it in the first half and could have been up more, at least 2-0.  The Canton defense was good and made some great plays to keep the ball out of the net.  Their keeper made some good saves as well.  The shot for the goal by Alveranga was a bullet.  Canton had the edge in corners and used the long throw in to their advantage to put pressure on Sandwich in the second half.  They kept the ball in front of the Sandwich net and eventually they knocked one in.   They use the throw in as a real advantage. Sandwich had a couple good chance in the ot but again Canton keeper made the saves.  Interesting decision by the Sandwich coach.  The player who took and missed the 8th pk that could have won the game was hurt and had been sitting for the last 20 minutes and both ot periods or about 40+ minutes.  The coach is quoted in the Globe as saying "he was getting  stronger as the game worn on".  It was quite apparent that he was not 100% as he did limp some as he went out for the kick.   If he was getting "stronger" not sure why he would not have gone back into the game? The player who missed on the 9th kick was already out on the field thinking he was going to take the 8th kick and was called back and Herras was allowed to kick.  Sure that was not good for his confidence as he watched the other player limp out to replace him.   It may be a small point but at this level game every little thing matters.   It was a very tough spot to put a great and tough player in and a he had played a great game to the point of the injury.  Sure he wanted to do it but the coach should have gone with the player he had on the field.   He also made one very interesting substitution in the ot playing a player that had not played any significant time during the year and had been brought up from the JV team over a few kids that had been playing all year.  Curious time to put an untested player in the game at a position he had never played in a varsity game with the season on the line.   Baffling. My opinion is it is time for the coach and asst. coach to retire.  The head coach is not in the class of the Canton or CC coach and his assistant spends most of his time yelling at the kids.  Not likely to happen as I am sure they look at all the juniors coming back and figure they have one more run.  Too bad, as this group could be so much better with a quality coach who would do more than drop the balls on the practice field and have the kids shoot and scrimmage.  Always easy to second guess from the stands I guess but that what makes it fun.      Both Canton and Sandwich had a good amount of juniors on the field in key position.  My guess is they meet again next year at sometime.     
    Posted by SPORTSRGOOD

This is at least the second time you have spoken about how bad Tedeschi and his staff are.  He might not be the best, I don't know the Sandwich program that well.  But I do know they have had a good amount of success lately.  So what's the real story behind your dislike for him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

No real story.

Just facts based on knowing players current and past watching history repeat over and over.

His teams win based on talent and athleticism. 

Most players by the time they get to high school have played for some type of club program and have learned a good deal about tactics, strategy and how a good practice should be run. 

When they show up at practice and there is no skill development worked on or tactics or game strategy ever discussed the players know something is wrong.

He is a nice guy, retired from teaching, with a nice part time job that requires not a great deal of effort.  Many would like to see him move on but that likely will not happen.  Too good a deal.

Take a look at the Canton or CC team web site.  Listen to the CC coach talk on their video.  If you want to compete with team like those, you can't just show up on August 18th, drop the balls, and say here we go boys. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

Kudos to the Canton coach.

According to their roster they dressed 29 players for the game Sunday

12 sophomores and freshman.

Great way to motivate your younger players for the future by giving them a taste of what it is like to be involved in a championship run. 

Sure it will motivate them all to work harder in the off season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DontBeAnIdiot. Show DontBeAnIdiot's posts

In the Sandwich Canton game, seemed as though Sandwich came out very strong and score in the first 10 minutes on a nice shot by alvarenga. They carried play for the rest of the first half, though it was pretty even. Canton had less of a prolonged attack and more of a quick-strike counter attack. I didnt think their throw ins were as effective, but the few corner kicks they had were very good.

Sandwich could have been up 2 or 3-0 but the Canton GK was very good, and the defense was solid , especially as the midfielders came back to help and limit the cross.

After halftime, Canton took control for the first 20 mins and scored- kind of a flukey garbage time goal, but thats what happens when the pressure mounts like it did in the Sandwich end.

With around 25 minutes left in the game #2 for Sandwich (Heras) went down, and it changed the complexion up front. Sandwich began to control more in the midfield as #5 (Cotter) moved to left mid and Alvarenga took over in the middle. While I liked Alvarenga in the middle, they seemed a bit out of sorts with their center moved, and only Donovan up top. It was tough enough getting shots with the two forwards up top, but now they could control the ball fairly well but not get too many solid chances. They also looked a little weak on the right side.
    Canton defense was very solid, holding Sandwich outside the box and challenging any shots from out there. They marked Donovan very well and he showed how dangerous he is around the net throughout the game.

The Canton front line didnt seem very dangerous but the midfield provided some great help once they could sustain an attack into the offensive end, but in the end their strength is the speed of their defense and GK play. #23 is quick up front and #5 controls play from center mid or center back.

I didnt think there was much the coach could have done for sandwich- maybe keep #5 in his spot, keep the two forw3ards up top and replaced the left back? Second guessing is easy. They played a very strong defense, had some decent opportunities, they just didnt convert on those as Canton made it very tough. There werent very many instances where I thought a Sandwich player blew a great scoring opportuinity, though they did carry most of the play

I thought the ref was very good. For the record.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from theyknow. Show theyknow's posts

Very interesting how no one ever talks about Newton North and the absolutely astounding run that they are making in this tournament at a no. 19 seed. They have eliminated POWER HOUSES in this tournament. Sometimes heart does prevail.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUsoccer. Show RUsoccer's posts

No real story. Just facts based on knowing players current and past watching history repeat over and over. His teams win based on talent and athleticism.  Most players by the time they get to high school have played for some type of club program and have learned a good deal about tactics, strategy and how a good practice should be run.  When they show up at practice and there is no skill development worked on or tactics or game strategy ever discussed the players know something is wrong. He is a nice guy, retired from teaching, with a nice part time job that requires not a great deal of effort.  Many would like to see him move on but that likely will not happen.  Too good a deal. Take a look at the Canton or CC team web site.  Listen to the CC coach talk on their video.  If you want to compete with team like those, you can't just show up on August 18th, drop the balls, and say here we go boys. 
    Posted by SPORTSRGOOD

I certainly agree with you that this is a common problem with hs soccer programs. And there sure are alot of bad coaches out there. But to publicly call out the coach of program that has been in the South Finals 2 years in a row and won the ACL a couple years running, just does't seem fair despite how bad he may or may not be. Just sayin

Sections
Shortcuts