MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

Slowbutquick....having not seen Sandwich, New Bedford, NN, Lex or Hop you may be right to put CC behind them.  With two of their middie starters out for the year, and a talented attacker still rusty from tons of missed time, CC is not quite the team that they could have been.  In fact, I did not think that CC played well in the first half yesterday....the wind seemed to take some getting used to for both teams.  And I also agree that their goals were not great.  That said, Canton was undefeated, and they didn't seem to be nearly CC's equal.  Their only offense seemed to come from the long throw ins from #3 (nice player).  They may have gotten credit for 8 shots, but I don't remember a single quality chance, whereas CC was buzzing the Canton net much of the night.  So after a competitive first half when Canton had the wind, and a one sided affair in the second when CC had the wind, you have a 2-0 final that could have been much worse.  So CC is the defending champ with a bullseye on its back and they have just beaten an undefeated and terrific Winchester club and now beaten a fine undefeated Canton club.  They seemed the better team in both games--though just barely against Winchester.  Didn't Canton beat Sandwich?  CC handled Canton without much fuss.  How does that make Sandwich better?  I'd say that you may be missing something in your analysis.  Certainly you are off base about CC's back line.  The big guy in the middle is great, and he is usually out of position only after a run.  The rest of the back line must be pretty good because teams aren't scoring against them--14 shut-outs for a team that never, ever packs it in.  This doesn't mean that they'd beat all the teams on your list, but for you to suggest that you were unimpressed after they handled the sectional champ and undefeated Canton team with such relative ease seems strange. 

A final note about the game.....CC bring great, energized, and entertaining fans.
    But they can sometimes be graceless in their chants.  When they are, it does a disservice to the teams that are playing so hard and deserving of respect.  Canton seemed a classy operation, and their kids played a hard, clean game.  They should have been shown more respect from the CC student section.  It's a notice me notice me thing now for the student section--not so tasteful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    I don't think the CC Canton game was lopsided that bend not break has been the way canton has played all year.  They have a great goalie and back line.  The midfield gives gives gives.  the 12-8 marging in shots was about how the game was, no question CC was the better team but the scored goals were one own goal and a rebound off a post.  the wind was a factor I think more to canton disadvantage because they go over the top a lot more to their forwards, while CC builds from the midfield. That being said there is no way that CC is the top ranked team Sandwich, New Bedford, NN, Lex even Hop were better. Teams I have seen play CC midfield was one of the better mid fields I have seen.  Nothing really special up front (Sandwich strikers were light years better as was NB) I felt CC back line was surprising weak, the big center back, a team leader, was not very quick (although fast when going north south) and was out of position a lot (he did play hard no doubt).  That was the most shots Canton has had on goal in a month.  I think sandwichs forwards would have killed them, Sandwich had problems with Cantons quick backs. Just my opinion, Defense and hot goalies carry weight but don't make for a pretty game. On a side note, both teams played hard and were respectful,  A number of good professional fouls.  Nothing cheap from either team, Well reffed. 
    Posted by slowbutquick

Have to hand to to CC

They are champs for the second year in a row and can win it all again this weekend.

Good for them for finding a way to get it done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wgleslie. Show wgleslie's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : It would be better to have the first 10 minute OT played with 10 on a side, the next with 8, next with 6...then PK's if those 30 minutes net nothing.  Normal subbing, so kids shouldn't be any more susceptible to wearing out than regular OT.  Having 8 on a side might not be real soccer, but it would at least involve offense and defense and more soccer skills than the PKs (which is the absolute worst part of soccer--even worse than offsides.)
    Posted by Clemlabine

FYI - this has been tried in the past - 11 v 11, then 9 v 9, 7 v 7 and finally 5 v 5.  When you get to 7 v 7 there is a lot of open space but the players are generally too gassed to make use of it.  PKs are used to decide matches throughout the world.  It is an accepted part of the game.  What is not used anywhere else (any longer) is the "golden goal", by which the first to score wins.  It was decided that conditions could be such that it was unfair to have a "golden goal".  "Silver goals" have been tried (if no goals in the first OT, the first goal in the second OT wins) and also discarded.  World-wide, it is two 15 minute periods and then PKs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

I don't think the CC Canton game was lopsided that bend not break has been the way canton has played all year.  They have a great goalie and back line.  The midfield gives gives gives.  the 12-8 marging in shots was about how the game was, no question CC was the better team but the scored goals were one own goal and a rebound off a post.  the wind was a factor I think more to canton disadvantage because they go over the top a lot more to their forwards, while CC builds from the midfield. That being said there is no way that CC is the top ranked team Sandwich, New Bedford, NN, Lex even Hop were better. Teams I have seen play CC midfield was one of the better mid fields I have seen.  Nothing really special up front (Sandwich strikers were light years better as was NB) I felt CC back line was surprising weak, the big center back, a team leader, was not very quick (although fast when going north south) and was out of position a lot (he did play hard no doubt).  That was the most shots Canton has had on goal in a month.  I think sandwichs forwards would have killed them, Sandwich had problems with Cantons quick backs. Just my opinion, Defense and hot goalies carry weight but don't make for a pretty game. On a side note, both teams played hard and were respectful,  A number of good professional fouls.  Nothing cheap from either team, Well reffed. 
    Posted by slowbutquick

As soon as I saw you say Madison Park would win the north final I knew you didn't have a clue.  Now you've been exposed to everyone else who was at the CC v Canton game. 

1. I have no idea where you come up with 8 shots for Canton, but they really didn't have a single chance all night.

2.  The wind often plays a big advantage for teams that play over the top, as it did in the first half, alas it still lead to nothing.

3. So CC played one poor half against the wind, and then makes Canton look like a JV side.  Canton beats Hopkington and Sandwich, yet those sides are some how better than C-C.  It's hard to compare the other teams, but I have a feeling C-C would be just fine against any of them.

4.  The CC forwards are nothing special?  You can tell that to Ben Bratt and the rest of the Winchester back line, or you can look at the 70 goals the've scored this season, coming from the DCL.  I don't know how you define special, but that's not to shabby IMO.

5. The CC back line was weak?  BAHAHAHA, that defense has allowed less than half a goal a game, it is pretty darn good if you ask me.  It's funny you mention Sandwich because the same defense played that Dallas Donovan lead front line last year, and shut them out. Oh, and that centerback who you say is not very quick and is out of position a lot, is one of the premier defenders in the state. Right up there with Ballenthin, Bratt, and Keys.

Your eye for the game is either very weak, or you need to save a few tokes for the rest of us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clemlabine. Show Clemlabine's posts

wgleslie....that PKs are used all over the world and the world seems to love the game the way it is, is undeniable.  I just think that soccer would be a better game without 'em.  If I had to have 'em, I'd make the goalie box smaller by half and move the penalty kick back by half.  But, alas, I don't recall anyone asking me my opinion....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yourcool. Show yourcool's posts

Posted by slowbutquick

This has to be a joke. Right? Being at that CC Canton game as well, I would argue that just about every point that you made is outrageous and simply wrong. CC center back made some runs that made Canton look silly. Maybe a bit too many touches for a center back but 'a bit weak' really? He made the entire Canton team look techinically inferior at a position that most high schools put an athlete with little technical skill. Also, I cant remember one good chance for Canton throughout the entire game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

C-C 2-1 over Nipmuc.

Another wind game, Nipmuc played pretty well and C-C looked tired.  But in the end C-C was just too good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

C-C 2-1 over Nipmuc. Another wind game, Nipmuc played pretty well and C-C looked tired.  But in the end C-C was just too good.
    Posted by Kipmaster24

Nipmuc did have the better of the play in the last 15 minutes as CC uncharacteristically faded (was the 7:45 AM Saturday team breakfast or the 12:00-2:00 AM Harry Potter Thursday night indulgence a factor?).  The Nipmuc middies and marking backs jumped the ball particularly well, and they had two players that were a cut above.   CC's Wholihan (marking back) had a very strong game to keep Nipmuc's best player in check.  One cannot make judgements from a single game, but I'd put this club a smidge ahead of Canton, though not quite as good as Winchester.   Cool to see the classy Canton club getting the sportsmanship award at halftime.  Alex thanks for keeping this site hoppin'....til next year.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvlfan01. Show tvlfan01's posts

DS 2 Lenox 0.  DS controlled most of the game and Lenox did not have a serious threat to score.  Bielski was awesome but great team effort.  Congrats to Lenox on a great season.  DS Div 3 State Champs!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Concord-Carlisle without 3 of their best players, one transferred and the other 2 with season ending injuries and were still able to pull it out. I'm not sure there is another team in EMass that would've been able to pull off such a feat.

Sections
Shortcuts