Top 25 Boy's Soccer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer

One of the Bay State teams is going home after the first round, kind of unfortunately. All 3 of those teams are in 1/4 of the north bracket. Brighton has about as easy of a bracket as they could get.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

Wouldn't be surprised if Bay State league teams roll through to the semis.  Teams like Needham, Walpole, Weymouth or Wellsley are going to take their sections because the BSL is a battlefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer:
    [QUOTE]One of the Bay State teams is going home after the first round, kind of unfortunately. All 3 of those teams are in 1/4 of the north bracket. Brighton has about as easy of a bracket as they could get.
    Posted by AlexFilides[/QUOTE]

Going to be another BSC team out in the south as Wellesley plays Weymouth.  BTW Alex, they did it again.  22 teams in the North, 21 in the South, 12 in the Central, and 11 in the West.  66 teams, almost a perfect number for 4 equal brackets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TvlSoccer. Show TvlSoccer's posts

Dover-Sherborn with a 4-2 post season win over Lincoln-Sudbury. From what I've heard, the starters were all playing. Definitely very interesting - I'd be curious to see how all teams match up between divisions in the state.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

[QUOTE]Dover-Sherborn with a 4-2 post season win over Lincoln-Sudbury. From what I've heard, the starters were all playing. Definitely very interesting - I'd be curious to see how all teams match up between divisions in the state.
    Posted by TvlSoccer[/QUOTE]

Having seen both teams play, this result doesn't surprise me.  Not that D-S would be favored to top a league like Dual County or Bay State, but on any given day, this year's team could play with any of the teams from those leagues.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

Apparently Weymouth is battling some injury problems so it will be interesting to see what kind of run they can put together.  Although I guess the program has proven that you underestimate them at your own peril.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Lexington and Newton North both lose in the North.  Anyone go to the games?

Saw the Framingham game.  They played well.  Won 2-0.  Should have finished a lot more chances.  Haverhill's goalie is really good.

Psyched to see Norwood win 3-0 in D2 South.

Tough draw for Somerville.  Has to play Brookline in the first round Monday.  I don't see Brookline losing that game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Lexington and Newton North both lose in the North.  Anyone go to the games? Saw the Framingham game.  They played well.  Won 2-0.  Should have finished a lot more chances.  Haverhill's goalie is really good. Psyched to see Norwood win 3-0 in D2 South. Tough draw for Somerville.  Has to play Brookline in the first round Monday.  I don't see Brookline losing that game.
    Posted by scrapa-[/QUOTE]

My concern would be Brookline posting their soccer game videos on youtube. Who is the coach of Somerville? Scarpelli, the master of breaking down the game tape. Don't be surprised if Somerville wins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Weymouth loses 1-0 to Wellesley.
    Norwood forced to play back to back days (why?) and loses 1-0 in ot to Norwell.
    Could be another BSC game if Brookline and Framingham win tomorrow.  They would play Wednesday at Brookline.
    Medford and Peabody advanced today.  Played a day early (why?)  This tourney is just as much a tourney of attrition as it is anything else.  We'll see if the extra day of rest and the opportunity to scout tomorrow's games helps those 2 teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hssoccer10. Show hssoccer10's posts

Heard the MIAA said they wanted any game that could be played to be played on Saturday and if not then Sunday because the cut off date for the north final is next Sunday. I agree with you though that it is a big advantage to those teams more so for the rest than to scout. Like you said it is a war of attrition during the tourney and a couple extra days off can help big time

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

They probabably should've started the tourney on Friday, like they had in the past. I agree with you scrapa, a team playing 2 days in a row, where there are teams still yet to play and a day later after that team has played it's second game. They had Norwood play the next day, however there was a 3 day layoff before the next round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

I have to be honest.  Norwood is a really bad soccer team and if it took OT to beat them with them playing back to back days then that division is far worse than I imagined.  Norwood had no business playing soccer in November.

I was at the Weymouth-Wellsley game and it was really too bad for weymouth.  They played poorly but still dominated the game.  I think Wellesley had one shot on goal and that was the free kick that went in.  I was surprised weymouth's goalie couldn't stop it because he's one of the best in the state.  Much like last year's sectional final, weymouth just couldn't find a way to finish one of their many opportunities.  I will say this about Wellesley, their coach was impressive.  He seemed to be very smart and tactical with a team that really was overmatched by weymouth's talent.  I don't expect them to last too long.  I think the south sectional is Needhams to lose.

I would watch out for Weymouth next season though as they started 8 or 9 juniors. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfollower56. Show soccerfollower56's posts

Somerville 1 - Brookline 0..So much for the slip in play in the GBL. Two teams in the quarterfinals. Somerville obviously more likely to advance out of the two though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Brookline Framingham and the Prep all lose.  Wow.  Would love to see A-B make a run as Baumritter is one of the real nice guys in HS sports.  If not, I would like to see L-S go all the way.

Looks like CC is firing on all cylinders.  Impressive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Brookline and Prep losing really didn't shock me. The shock was Framingham losing to Chelsea, nobody outside Chelsea would've predicted that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncbb939. Show ncbb939's posts

CC - Winchester could be the north semi-final, as although melrose and stoneham will put up a fight, i doubt either team will have enough to beat the higher seed (especially at away from home, as both stoneham and melrose play on very small grass fields). expect to see 50 fouls from stoneham and a 10-1 formation from melrose

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

[QUOTE]I have to be honest.  Norwood is a really bad soccer team and if it took OT to beat them with them playing back to back days then that division is far worse than I imagined.  Norwood had no business playing soccer in November. I was at the Weymouth-Wellsley game and it was really too bad for weymouth.  They played poorly but still dominated the game.  I think Wellesley had one shot on goal and that was the free kick that went in.  I was surprised weymouth's goalie couldn't stop it because he's one of the best in the state.  Much like last year's sectional final, weymouth just couldn't find a way to finish one of their many opportunities.  I will say this about Wellesley, their coach was impressive.  He seemed to be very smart and tactical with a team that really was overmatched by weymouth's talent.  I don't expect them to last too long.  I think the south sectional is Needhams to lose. I would watch out for Weymouth next season though as they started 8 or 9 juniors. 
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

I was there, too.  Weymouth has much bigger kids and had that advantage.  But Wellesley was probably equal technically, and when the whole team remembers their defensive responsibilities, they put up a challenge.  Maybe 10 minutes before the goal, Weymouth had a free kick from a similar distance.  It rebounded low off the wall, Weymouth's follow shot was low to the far side, but about a foot wide.  Then Wellesley got their chance, and the free kick was a real cannon shot.  Yes, the keeper seemed kind of frozen, but with a wall screening him, and the movement of the shot, he shouldn't be blamed.  And that was the difference -- very narrow.  Also credit the Wellesley coach: the kid who scored had subbed in just a few minutes before.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer : I was there, too.  Weymouth has much bigger kids and had that advantage.  But Wellesley was probably equal technically, and when the whole team remembers their defensive responsibilities, they put up a challenge.  Maybe 10 minutes before the goal, Weymouth had a free kick from a similar distance.  It rebounded low off the wall, Weymouth's follow shot was low to the far side, but about a foot wide.  Then Wellesley got their chance, and the free kick was a real cannon shot.  Yes, the keeper seemed kind of frozen, but with a wall screening him, and the movement of the shot, he shouldn't be blamed.  And that was the difference -- very narrow.  Also credit the Wellesley coach: the kid who scored had subbed in just a few minutes before.
    Posted by concussed[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure they were equal technically as a whole but Wellesley was certainly well-organized defensively and have a couple of players up the middle that were certainly as good as any of the Weymouth players.  I wasn't blaming the weymouth goalie for the goal.  It was a real good shot.  I was just commenting that I would expect Greenwood to make the save because I have a lot of respect for his ability.  He's one of the better high school keepers I've seen in a while.  The shot basically went right up the middle but was hit by a left footer and swerved back to the left.  I'll be interested to see how Wellesley does moving on because they are one of the smallest teams I've seen.  They looked like a JV team in warmups.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

In Response to Top 25 Boy's Soccer:
    [QUOTE]Why? With not a lot of info? Because it's fun! Kind of like guessing the tournament winners, (which my D-1 picks were ultimate fail last year). I'm really just guessing right now, don't critique it too much. The rankings will probably change drastically after the first week.
    1. Lexington GONE
    2. Brookline GONE
    3. Acton-Boxboro
    4. St. John's Prep GONE
    5. Weymouth GONE
    6. Winchester
    7. Framingham GONE
    8. Catholic Memorial
    9. Somerville
    10. Sandwich
    11. Canton
    12. New Bedford DIDN'T QUALIFY
    13. Newton North GONE
    14. Lincoln-Sudbury
    15. Brockton
    16. Masconomet
    17. Nauset
    18. Medfield DIDN'T QUALIFY
    19. Rockport
    20. Braintree DIDN'T QUALIFY
    21. Reading DIDN'T QUALIFY
    22. Medford
    23. Concord-Carlisle
    24. Needham
    25. Belmont GONE
    Others(in no order): Marshfield, GONE
    Falmouth, DIDN'T QUALIFY
    Walpole, GONE
    Madison Park, DIDN'T QUALIFY
    East Boston, GONE
    BC High,
    Westford, GONE
    King Philip, GONE
    Peabody,
    Silver Lake,
    Duxbury,
    Hingham,
    Dover-Sherborn

Of 48 teams still alive in E.Mass., you identified 20 pre-season. 18 of the 38 you identified pre-season are home a little earlier than they hoped.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Top 25 Boy's Soccer : Of 48 teams still alive in E.Mass., you identified 20 pre-season. 18 of the 38 you identified pre-season are home a little earlier than they hoped.
    Posted by concussed[/QUOTE]

I was just guessing with hardly any information to go upon. I guess I did it because it was fun ranking the teams. Maybe in fairness, you could start with my rankings around the 5th game and see how all the teams have done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Scrapa, how did the guys from Cambridge and Brighton, hyping up their team do in the tourney this year? The curse continues! lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

To be fair to Alex, I think this has been a really wacky year, especially in the post-season.  I can only speak for Division 1 but a lot of the more traditional powers have had sub-par years.  Teams like Weymouth and St. Johns Prep.  Not to mention a couple bay state teams were eliminated by other Bay State teams when they might not normally meet until later in the tournament.  And now we have BC High vs CM in the sectional quarterfinals.  The format of the tourny gives some teams an edge.  The corner of the bracket in the D1 North with Billerica is kind of a joke compared to the 3 other quadrants.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

[QUOTE]Scrapa, how did the guys from Cambridge and Brighton, hyping up their team do in the tourney this year? The curse continues! lol

I think the curse might be contagious.  There is a chance that all 9 BSC teams are out of the tourney before the sectional finals (if Needham and Wellesley lose).  Strangest tourney in a long time.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfollower56. Show soccerfollower56's posts

Medford 2 - Lincoln-Sudbury 1 Final OT

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfollower56. Show soccerfollower56's posts

Masco over AB in penalty shots

Sections
Shortcuts