Top 25 Boy's Soccer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carlostev3z. Show Carlostev3z's posts

Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer

Brighton's currently 7-0-0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

Sandwich at Brockton tomorrow 4pm.  My prediction is Sandwich 3 Brockton 1.  See how this plays out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Capesports1. Show Capesports1's posts

The globe is reporting marshfield boys over nauset 5-0, I believe that is a girls score, the boys game was cancelled during the first half due to thunder and lightning 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer:
    Sandwich at Brockton tomorrow 4pm.  My prediction is Sandwich 3 Brockton 1.  See how this plays out. 
    Posted by jason12343

game was postponed due to poor field conditions

don't they have a turf field in brocton?

too bad

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Updated Top 25.

1. Sandwich 7-0-0
    2. Lincoln-Sudbury 6-0-1
    3. Winchester 5-0-1
    4. Weymouth 6-1-1
    5. St. John's Prep 4-1-1
    6. Masconomet 3-0-2
    7. Hingham 7-1-0
    8. Needham 5-2-1
    9. Brookline 4-2-1
    10. Silver Lake 6-0-2
    11. Framingham 5-2-1.
    12. Walpole 6-0-2
    13. Canton 5-0-3
    14. Lexington 3-1-2
    15. Dartmouth 6-1-0
    16. Dover-Sherborn 6-0-1
    17. Medford 6-1-0
    18. Westford 4-1-1
    19. Woburn 2-0-2
    20. Barnstable 5-1-0
    21. Lynnfield 5-2-0
    22. Concord-Carlisle 5-2-0
    23. Brighton 6-0-0
    24. Lowell 6-0-2
    25. Georgetown 4-0-2

Others: Oliver Ames 4-1-2, N. Andover 3-1-2, Rockport 3-1-1, Brockton 3-1-2, Hopkinton 6-1-0, Chelsea 6-0-0, Bedford 3-1-2, Marshfield 2-1-2, Nauset 5-3-0, New Bedford 2-2-2, Cardinal Spellman 6-0-0,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justwatchin. Show justwatchin's posts

BSC v CC challenge - another great day at DiFazio field in Needham.  Overall 2 wins 2 losses and 1 tie.  Some good match-ups:

Weymouth 1 SJP 1
    BC High 4 Framingham 2
    Needham 6 Xavarian 0
    MC 0 Walpole 5
    Braintree 1 CM 2

The Weymouth/SJP game was the best.  Hope to see them play eachother again in the State tournament! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iluvthatdirtywater. Show Iluvthatdirtywater's posts

Alex, I think that you do a fine job with your rankings. Keep up the good work!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

Two things surprise me. There are no Boston City League teams in the top rankings. Usually Madison Park or East Boston sit in the top 3, I guess the word has gotten around that the BCL records just don't reflect the type of team they have compared to the rest of the state. 

#2- How did Medford go from 10 to 17? Down 7 spots?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414557. Show user_4414557's posts

Arlington 2-Winchester 0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FAMSony. Show FAMSony's posts

BSC v CC challenge - another great day at DiFazio field in Needham.  Overall 2 wins 2 losses and 1 tie.  Some good match-ups: Weymouth 1 SJP 1 BC High 4 Framingham 2 Needham 6 Xavarian 0 MC 0 Walpole 5 Braintree 1 CM 2 The Weymouth/SJP game was the best.  Hope to see them play eachother again in the State tournament! 
    Posted by justwatchin

Saw the Braintree vs CM game. Brainree scored about 15 minutes into first half. The refs made one of the worst calls i have ever seen and awarded CM a pk about halfway through the 2nd half and then scored off a corner with 2 minutes remaining. Good game but horrible officials

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from justwatchin. Show justwatchin's posts

Ah - Yes - HS soccer officials - sore subject - I have been involved with MA HS soccer since 1984.  As many of you know the play has improved exponentially, todays players are highly skilled, year-round (club/academy) dedicated athletes that give everything to be successful on the field.  While 90% of the officials do it to make a few bucks and make our lives miserable.  They are incompetent, out of shape old men that have no business being on the same field as these highly qualified players.  Too many officials only ref during the HS season and do nothing to improve themselves.  Our players are constantly working to become better.  Yet - too many times a game is decided by these fools!  Somebody help me - please!

In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer : Saw the Braintree vs CM game. Brainree scored about 15 minutes into first half. The refs made one of the worst calls i have ever seen and awarded CM a pk about halfway through the 2nd half and then scored off a corner with 2 minutes remaining. Good game but horrible officials
    Posted by FAMSony

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from catzfan. Show catzfan's posts

Alex: Nice job on the top 25. Tough calls to make when they change game to game. Can anyone explain where all the scores of being reported from. If you look at the standings some towns are missing a bunch of scores so the standings are not that accurate. Are they reported by the schools ?

Also. Justwatchin, Your correct in that the kids work at it year round and dedicate themselves to the game. Not all the officials are horrible. I have seen a few this season that are invisible in the game but dont let the game get out of hand. The odd part to the games I have been to is that there seems to be one strong official and one weak one. Not sure if they training the weaker guy, but it is changing the outcome of some games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cambridge617. Show cambridge617's posts

Cambridge 4 Chelsea 1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

Just read the Globe's latest list.  They seem to over-rank some teams that play mostly in Division 2 leagues, and under-rank the leaders of mostly Division 1 leagues.  They also seem to over-rank teams that had long tourney runs last year, though graduation means that there may not be much similarity from one year to the next.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from justwatchin. Show justwatchin's posts

Can you be more specific - it's ok to call out teams that you believe to be ranked incorrectly because that will spark a discussion - what do you think the rankings should look like.  Personally, to have Cardinal Spellmen (and other undefeated D3 teams) ranked with Weymouth/Brockton and other big D1 teams is silly - if they actually played eachother it would be a joke! Boston City League teams should try to venture out and play the D1 teams that surround them so they get a feel for the real competition and be prepared for tournament time ie - Brighton - they need to stop complaining about not being ranked and play someone that is in the top 20 to prove how good they are! 

Just read the Globe's latest list.  They seem to over-rank some teams that play mostly in Division 2 leagues, and under-rank the leaders of mostly Division 1 leagues.  They also seem to over-rank teams that had long tourney runs last year, though graduation means that there may not be much similarity from one year to the next.
    Posted by concussed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

It might make sense to start with which leagues have the most Division 1 teams (Bay State 9, Hockomock 7, Merrimack Valley 7), and the teams that are leading those leagues.  Then look at really good records from teams that play a higher proportion of their games against Division 2 or 3 teams.  Lexington, Concord-Carlisle and Masconomet would be examples of teams that seem over-ranked based on results against the schedule they play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cambridge617. Show cambridge617's posts

Somerville 2 Medford 0

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TvlSoccer. Show TvlSoccer's posts

Can you be more specific - it's ok to call out teams that you believe to be ranked incorrectly because that will spark a discussion - what do you think the rankings should look like.  Personally, to have Cardinal Spellmen (and other undefeated D3 teams) ranked with Weymouth/Brockton and other big D1 teams is silly - if they actually played eachother it would be a joke! Boston City League teams should try to venture out and play the D1 teams that surround them so they get a feel for the real competition and be prepared for tournament time ie - Brighton - they need to stop complaining about not being ranked and play someone that is in the top 20 to prove how good they are!  In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer :
    Posted by justwatchin

I agree somewhat with you, but this is a pretty blanket statement about D3 teams. Dover-Sherborn beat Wellsley 3-1 and Franklin 1-0 in the preseason and those are both successful D1 teams. Most D3 teams in the eastern part of the state tend to play in D2 dominated leagues so generally when they have strong records they are quite good.

Also, while we're on the subject - the skill difference between top tier D1, D2, and D3 teams is very small. I don't know why D1 teams get so much credit, particularly when it was clear that last year the best teams in the state were in D2.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

In Response to Re: Top 25 Boy's Soccer : I agree somewhat with you, but this is a pretty blanket statement about D3 teams. Dover-Sherborn beat Wellsley 3-1 and Franklin 1-0 in the preseason and those are both successful D1 teams. Most D3 teams in the eastern part of the state tend to play in D2 dominated leagues so generally when they have strong records they are quite good. Also, while we're on the subject - the skill difference between top tier D1, D2, and D3 teams is very small. I don't know why D1 teams get so much credit, particularly when it was clear that last year the best teams in the state were in D2.
    Posted by TvlSoccer

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concussed. Show concussed's posts

Agree with your point about the strong D2 and D3 teams.  I wasn't implying that they should be ranked lower, just that the place to start is to look at who's leading from the D1-heavy leagues.  From there, if a strong team from TVL or DCL or anywhere seems even stronger based on their record, by all means they should be ranked higher.  The Globe seems to start from some combination of who went far in last year's tournament, and who starts out with a strong record playing mostly smaller schools, an approach which could be improved, in my opinion.  Alex seems to come up with a more sound ranking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aksjh. Show aksjh's posts

GBL Standings 

1. Everett: 3 Wins, 0 losses, 2 Ties - 8 points
    2. Somerville: 3 wins, 1 loss, 1 tie - 7 points
    3. Medford: 3 wins, 2 losses - 6 points
    4. Cambridge: 1 win, 2 losses, 1 tie* (*to my understanding*, 1 game less) - 3 points
    5. Malden: 0 wins, 5 losses - 0 points

Yesterday Somerville outplayed Medford to a 2-0 win. Both goals in the first half. Somerville looked great, winning the midfield and finding their wings in open field. Medford defense had trouble with the dynamic attack. Somerville looks strong; deadly in their attack and solid defense. Look for a good remainder of the season from them as they are 6-1-1 overall

Medford has dropped 3 straight after starting 6-0, starting with Everett, Billerica and Somerville. Medford defense seems to be struggling, and some key mistakes as a team cost them some goals against Everett and Somerville. The Medford offense has been a little quiet and the defense and goalkeeper have been exposed in their 3 straight losses. Expect some changes as they look to go back on top of the GBL and out of their slump. (6-3) overall

Everett took it to Malden 5-1 last night, assuring them the top spot in the GBL for now. Everett haven't lost in 5 games since their 6-1 manhandling from Danvers. Still not impressed by them, only surprising to see them standing up top of the GBL over Somerville and Medford; the two favorites.

Malden is just flat out struggling, their play in the GBL is very bad. They just can't compete with any team. Not much information coming out of them or Cambridge from me, if anybody can add some input, feel free.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Top 25.

1. Lincoln-Sudbury 9-0-1
    2. Sandwich 8-1-0
    3. St. John's Prep 6-1-2
    4. Canton 7-0-3
    5. Weymouth 7-2-2
    6. Needham 7-2-2
    7. Winchester 7-1-1
    8. Hingham 8-1-1
    9. Dover-Sherborn 9-0-1
    10. Silver Lake 7-0-3
    11. Masconomet 4-1-2
    12. Framingham 7-3-1
    13. Woburn 4-0-2
    14. Lexington 4-1-2
    15. Walpole 8-1-2
    16. Dartmouth 7-1-0
    17. Westford 7-2-1
    18. Woburn 5-0-2
    19. Brookline 4-4-2
    20. Nauset 7-3-0
    21. Georgetown 7-0-2
    22. Lynnfield 8-2-0
    23. Lowell 7-0-3
    24. Brighton 7-0-0
    25. Barnstable 6-2-0

Others: Somerville 7-1-1, N. Andover 7-1-2, Wellesley 8-3-0, Concord-Carlisle 6-3-1, Brockton 4-1-1, New Bedford 4-2-1, Oliver Ames 6-1-2, Rockport 5-1-2, Newton N. 4-3-4.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Watch out for Woburn, it appears they are back!

Nauset with a surprising upset of Sandwich earlier last week.

Georgetown, Lynnfield and Rockport, all D-3 Cape Ann teams, appears to be very solid.

What does everyone think of teams like Lowell and Brighton?

Sorry, been busy, haven't had the chance to post much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Alex: Nice job on the top 25. Tough calls to make when they change game to game. Can anyone explain where all the scores of being reported from. If you look at the standings some towns are missing a bunch of scores so the standings are not that accurate. Are they reported by the schools ? Also. Justwatchin, Your correct in that the kids work at it year round and dedicate themselves to the game. Not all the officials are horrible. I have seen a few this season that are invisible in the game but dont let the game get out of hand. The odd part to the games I have been to is that there seems to be one strong official and one weak one. Not sure if they training the weaker guy, but it is changing the outcome of some games.
    Posted by catzfan

They used to call in the scores by phone. I don't know, but it appears when the scores are posted, often times, it's the wrong sport and/or gender, so the score automatically updates into the standings, but is often times corrected within a couple of days.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Alex, I think that you do a fine job with your rankings. Keep up the good work!
    Posted by Iluvthatdirtywater

Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts