Alicia Sacramone's Olympic performance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

After a poor performance in team competition contributed to a US loss to China, Olympic gymnast Alicia Sacramone had her dreams of Olympic gold shattered once again after she finished fourth in the vault in the women's individual event finals last night.

Do you think the intense scrutiny Sacramone has been subject to is deserved? Did she let the US gymnastics team down with her performance? Do you think the US places too much pressure on young athletes, or is harsh criticism expected when athletes fall short of their country's expectations?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mocalatte. Show Mocalatte's posts

Talking about highway robbery on the vault! Sacramone should have won the Bronze Medal at the very least. The Chinese girl fell on her knees for godsake! There should have been a huge penalty against China (at least 0.8 deduction). Politics will always win over athletic competition. Shame on the corrupted judges.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MillisBoy. Show MillisBoy's posts

Winning a Silver Medal in the Olympics is an accomplishment Alicia Sacramone should treasure forever. The Bay State--and America--can and should be proud of her. Dissapointment for not winning gold? No way.

Well done, young lady. We're proud of you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boogersnot. Show boogersnot's posts

Just as Bella pointed out afterwards. The judging was a travesty. She fell to her knees! Alicia deserved better.

The only downfall to Alicia's performance was that she rushed her landings a little bit. She would very quickly turn and address the judges. The vaults seemed like practice vaults in that manner. If she had stopped at the end (even with the small steps) and then turned, I think the judges would have felt differently. You could tell the pressure was getting to Alicia and it seemed that she just wanted to get this over with.

But Alicia's bringing home silver!!!! That is an amazing accomplishment that she should be very very very proud of!! Hold that head high!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

Sorry kid....nobody remembers the silver medal winners.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberto678. Show roberto678's posts

Wow -
    Let the girl come home with something to look forward to - a celebration of her silver and not articles about her 'disappointments'.
    Must the news be so negative.
    How about looking at the bright side.

Congrats Alicia!!!!!!!!!
    To make it to where you are today is an accomplishment that many people only dream about. Your passion and dedication are what deserve a Gold Medal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EDChase51. Show EDChase51's posts

can't we report that she WON the silver instead of lost the gold??
    this is silly - it's a great achievement. ALL the media has been doing this.
    It's terrible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from auro. Show auro's posts

Take a look at the execution score on the chinese girl's 2nd vault. It did have a huge deduction.

Cheng Fei's two vaults:

First Vault:
    Difficulty - 6.50
    Execution - 9.575
    Total - 16.075

Second Vault:
    Difficulty - 6.50
    Execution - 8.550
    Total - 15.050

Average of Cheng Fei's two vaults: 15.562

Alicia's two vaults:

First Vault:
    Difficulty - 6.30
    Execution - 9.450
    Total - 15.750

Second Vault
    Difficulty - 5.80
    Execution - 9.525
    Total - 15.325

Average of Alicia's two vaults: 15.537

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

There is nothing wrong with a silver, congrats to all !!
    Now, this is coming from someone who knows very little about women's gymnastics, however, what I see is a lot of primping, posing, hand gestering, preening, doing all to hide the fact that they have breasts, and doing all to "spike" the landing, which seems to be all that matters to win. Whereas the men's gymnastics seems to be, rightfully, the physical ability to complete the task at hand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pres08. Show pres08's posts

I think there are many cruel posters here. ANYONE has doesn't appreciate the years of preparation, physical and mental determination and the guts to perform under all of this pressure, just doesn't get it.

Alicia did an amazing job and her minor errors were far less than many of the competitors from other countries. I too believe she was treated unfairly and that the judging process was flawed. Why not help her to feel better about what she accomplished at the young age of 20, rather then saying cruel things. Why bother to say anything? How would you feel with the world picking at you--leave her alone and let's be proud of what she did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also believe that she is entitled to her privacy now and the GLOBE should stop with these articles because they seem voyeristic at this point and just not helpfel to Alicia trying to feel better and move on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmv1971. Show cmv1971's posts

[Quote]Talking about highway robbery on the vault! Sacramone should have won the Bronze Medal at the very least. The Chinese girl fell on her knees for godsake! There should have been a huge penalty against China (at least 0.8 deduction). Politics will always win over athletic competition. Shame on the corrupted judges.[/Quote]

Didn't this happen in reverse for the US for one of the Hamm brothers?? I've lost all interest in any Olympic event open to judging interpretation because of this type of nonsense. If it can't be measured by time it's all a guessing-game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmv1971. Show cmv1971's posts

[Quote]leave her alone and let's be proud of what she did!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/Quote]

Yeah, it's quite disconcerting to me that finishing second best in the WORLD at a particular event would somehow be considered a "disappointment".

Meanwhile Ayla Brown is still considered a celebrity...

Our priorities are getting very screwed up!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iamsosmart. Show Iamsosmart's posts

Just competiing in the Olympics is a huge, huge accomplishment that the majority of us will never see. Alicia should be very proud just for that, never mind actually winning a silver medal. The media likes to make everything out to be a huge drama. She was definitely robbed on the vault but what can you do--gymnastics is a subjective sport. She, and her team mates are all amazing atheletes. And unlike the Chinese, we do not take children from their parents at 3 years old and train them to be atheletes whether they want to be or not. To be an olympic athelete from this country, you have to be extraordinarily driven and passionate, not a robot. Great job Alicia! You have made us proud with your amazing talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Taylor888. Show Taylor888's posts

[Quote]No one complained when Phelps won by a fingertip!! Get over it and fly back with a medal around yer neck. Not many have the talent, the time, the perseverence, nor the money it takes to be an Olympic performer.[/Quote]

I believe there was a protest when he won by fingertip... but correct me if i'm wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[Quote]Jesus Christ, this is why the world hates us. Alicia wins a silver medal and it's an alleged disappointment to Americans because she didn't win gold medals. I think a silver medal is a great accomplishment and by no means a disappointment.[/Quote]

The disappointment is based on expectations. Had the American team been expected to take third, then winning the silver would have been a pleasanst surprise. But the expectation was to win gold .in the team competition. After all, they have the 2 best all around gymnasts in the world.

But Sacramone shouldn't have to shoulder the blame. Even if she hadn't fallen on her routines in the team competition, they still wouldn't have won. They could not over come an injury to one of the team members.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from everettgirl. Show everettgirl's posts

[Quote]Sorry kid....nobody remembers the silver medal winners.[/Quote]

That's funny!!! Everyone seems to remember Nancy "Oh My Knee" Kerrigan...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from denheels. Show denheels's posts

A Silver medal? In the Olympics? On the podium meaning you are one of the top performers in the entire world? You go girl! The rest of us can only dream of what she has done. She will come to appreciate it (I Hope so because she should!) We should honor not only her athletic achievement but her spirit in handling the interviews and getting back up on the horse (so to speak) for the individual event competition. Any time you have a judged sport as opposed to a timed or scored event there are going to be problems (we see it every time). I hope Winchester doessomething for her and the Globe/boston.com advertises it-- I will do everything I can to be there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pinkhouse. Show Pinkhouse's posts

This is a young person who achieved more than most young people: She has done an excellent job representing our country in a fiercely competitive sport. This young person has achieved more in her short life than most will accomplish so let's give her her due, credit her with an amazing achievement and commend her on her hardwork and diligience and hope that she will inspire other young people to strive for excellence.

The peanut gallery needs to stop knocking this girl down and instead thank her for putting herself out there and being a role model. I will take an olympic athlete, team leader, ivy leaguer doing something amazing over most of the young, self-entitled, mediocre complainers of her age that i typically encounter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lah02155. Show lah02155's posts

[Quote]this lose DEMONSTRATES the problems (ongoing and upcomming) of chinese competition. they (both moving to the USA and the ones still in their homeland) prevent our sons and daugters from college, use the privilages of our schools, and now defeat us in OLYMPICS abraoud. They emarass the proud AMERICAN competitors, yet want to move to our country and go to school here and outpace our own AMERICAN children. Our gymnastics team SHOULD have taken a stance against this, but emarass our STATE and our COUNTRY, which are both incresingly NOT actually american.[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Actually, the issue isn't with the judging. It's with the age of the Chinese gymnasts. Most shouldn't even be in the competition. Had the age rules been enforced, Ally Sacs would be a gold meadl winner.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbot. Show fbot's posts

You should really learn how to spell. Or should I say "U shuld realy lern how to splel".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjcronin1. Show mjcronin1's posts

I certainly appreciate the skill and athleticism of this competitor, but it is overshadowed by the fact that the scoring has too much subjectivity. It is not only the skill that the athlete must master, but how to squeeze a few tenths of a point from judges. That being said, if there was a medal for class and sportmanship, those women would earn gold. Congratulations for demonstrating the Olympic spirit all around.

Sections
Shortcuts