Beckham coming to US

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Beckham coming to US

In the first 10 years of Major League Soccer,the league's total salary budget was about $250 million. Now the LosAngeles Galaxy plan to match that sum for one player -- David Beckham. Beckham is comming from Los Galacticos (Real Madrid) to the Los Angeles Galaxy. The team will play the New England Revolution next month.

How do you feel about Beckham playing in the US? What do you think about his salary?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Beckham coming to US

No one is worth that much money and especially Beckham, who is now waypast his prime. Besides America it not a soccerplaying nation likeSpain and Great Britain. He will not be able to fit in here. Hire himas a coach? Much better choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gringoperdido. Show gringoperdido's posts

Beckham coming to US

First off and cutting through Beckham's PR hype, his contract calls for $15 million over five years in salary, with the remaining $235 million a from the a** figure of his press agent based on wildly optimistic assumptions on t-shirt sales and the like to suggestible Americans. As a player, his performance at Real Madrid says it all: they have gone from being a dominant European side to winning zero titles (excluding the "Supercopa" - an exhibition season nobody-cares game between the previous year's Spanish League winner and its King's Cup winner - during his first week with the team) since his arrival three and a half years ago. After blaming external factors such as "the grass being cut too high" for his penalty misses and general crap play in the 2004 European Cup and this year's World Cup, the England national team had had enough of him to strip him of its captaincy and exclude him from the club altogether. In Madrid's disastrous season to-date, he has started in only nine of their 26 total games, seven of which have been lost by Madrid, a club that normally doesn't suffer seven losses in the fifty-odd games they play each year between league play, Champions' League, and King's Cup matches. He was never much good and, if his extraterrestrial wife Spice Girl had married Michael Owen, Michael Owen would now be the most famous footballer in America - with the added bonus of being three years younger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socawarrior. Show socawarrior's posts

Beckham coming to US

I think this is forward into the past. The NASL represented soccer in America and not American soccer and here we go again. How insulting it must be for the American player who has to be taken in by a local family in order to ply his trade only to have a washed up international come in and take away his thunder. Do you think Ronaldinho would have come here for $50 million a year? Hell yes. Do you think Beckham is more popular among people who really know good soccer? Hell no. What is he going to do walk around the pitch waiting for an opportunity to strike one of his patented shots? There is more to the game than that and it says that American soccer is only good enough to attract the likes of Edgar Davids, Ronaldo and Beckham when they can no longer compete for the club or country.

David Beckham is smarter than the average duck. He realizes that now is his time to strike a deal since he is an international has-been and I am almost certain that in a year or so, we will see an influx of washed up internationals flocking to MLS to make some money.

Attracting world class players in their prime is what it will take - see the EPL -not players at the end of their careers and insults to the soccer community by the folks making these deals that this is the best thing for the local game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garbagejuice. Show garbagejuice's posts

Beckham coming to US

The last thing LA needs is "The Beckhams". Victoria Beckham is disgusting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeesgiants. Show yankeesgiants's posts

Beckham coming to US

No impact at all. He is just another foreigner here on a cash grab. This will get coverage for the first week of the season and then it will fade away. I would say soccer's popularity here somewhere between professional eating contests and the WNBA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bicho1167. Show bicho1167's posts

Beckham coming to US

There's a soccer league in America? Like as in people get PAID to play in it? That's silly...

This wont work because Americans are critical of their own atheletes...bringing in a magazine cover former superstar and his 'my lips are always pursed so I can mug for the camera at ALL times' wife to LA is not going to make any impact in the landscape of American sports. Can you imagine WEEI spending time on this? I can't....and neither can real sports fans (by that I mean the died in the wool east coast sports fans - not the banwagon folks, who dont pay attention aside from playoff time). This is not to say that this guy isnt an athlete. He is...and a superb one. However, he's not an athlete at any of our sports. Soccer is soccer...no one person can change that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Beckham coming to US

The only way David Beckham would be of any significance in New England would be if Tom Brady started dating his wife.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsp1323. Show lsp1323's posts

Beckham coming to US

People seem to be missing the point. Beckham has been brought over to attract the media and other players to MLS. Right now hardly anyone watches MLS, yet games that Beckham will be playing in are sold out already. He is one of the hardest working players around. He loves the spotlight but never in his career has he missed games or training because he had too much to drink the night before. He is a model professional who gives 100% to his team mates when he plays. He's the man who can change a game with one free kick. He plays his heart out, if you don't believe it watch the world cup games again and watch him throwing up on the side of the pitch because of the heat. Real Madrid won La Liga because Beckham proved everyone wrong, he was not a washed up player he was a star. England are better off with him and so will the MLS. Name another superstar playing in the MLS today. That's why Beckham is here, to raise the standard and to try and bring the MLS up to standard with some of the European leagues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsp1323. Show lsp1323's posts

Beckham coming to US

I actually come from manchester so I did watch him play many, many times. I also worked at Old Trafford so watched him come in earlier than thre other plaeyers and stay late. I also had a season ticket and watched all their home and away games so I do know what I am talking about.

David Beckham is a class player and will always be. How good is Lampard in an England shirt. It does not matter what color shirt Beckham plays for, he plays for his teammates.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodgriefcharliebrown. Show goodgriefcharliebrown's posts

Beckham coming to US

Too much media hype and too much money all but ruin the game. I enjoy watching a good match,whether youth,the MLS,or the Premier League.

Sections
Shortcuts