Best mass. hockey players ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from borednma. Show borednma's posts

Kevin Stevens Silver Lake Regional High School....helped Mario Lemieux and Pittsburgh Penguins win championships in '91 and 92.....also received a full ride to B.C.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ahs08. Show ahs08's posts

One of the all-time best........ Robbie Ftorek, Center, Needham H.S.

Peter Taglianetti, Defense, Framingham South H.S. Played on two Stanley Cup winners in Pittsburgh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from uniquepartee. Show uniquepartee's posts

Tippy Johnson

Walt "Butch" Hrinalk-Natick

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brimcshane. Show brimcshane's posts

this list must include Tony Amonte- grew up in Hingham but I think he played

for a private school- Thayer academy, maybe?

speaking of the penguins championship years, Stevens was a huge part, but don't

forget about Tom Barraso in net- played @ A-B

Sweeney's -Bob grew up in Ma and I know Don played @ harvard but I'm not sure

if he's form around here- Chris Drury' s having a good career

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tfp15. Show tfp15's posts

Shawn Bates was one of the best high school players I have seen play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tfp15. Show tfp15's posts

Gordie like I stated before he was one of the best high school hockey players I have ever seen. And I have seen many games. If we are talking about the best Mass player in the NHL it is probably Roenick or Tkachuk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nybakk. Show nybakk's posts

Uppercut28 - Impressive list! - great memories.

I would add George Hughes (sp.), the highest scorer on MC's most prolific line of the 70's ( and center to Mike Fidler and Buddy Goodwyn (who?)). Who could forget their 8-0 dismantling of South Boston (Coughlin) in the garden final (and the chairs raining down from the heavens). Hughes went on to play at Harvard and was the infamaous last cut of the 1980 Olympic team.

I played against Bobby Miller ( a Billerica - Chelmsford thing) and he was a certainly a load.

One correction, Keith Aucoin played for Chelmsford (part of the Chelmsford state championship team).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhockey. Show bostonhockey's posts

john cunniff was excellent i class him a top player all time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldenboytom. Show goldenboytom's posts

Roenick, without question, sickest high school player in MA.

Scott Munroe, Hanover, was a dominant player in the early '90s.

Bates was also a joy to watch. Truly incredible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketts. Show rocketts's posts

SEAN COLLINS -READING H.S.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldskate. Show oldskate's posts

All of the candidates are worthy and memorable, especially to those who saw them win championships at that Garden. If the question were further refined to ask who was the most dominant of his era, it would have to be Ftorek. Granted he played in the days of 12 minute periods and essentially two line teams, but nobody dominated like he did. Someone will know, but in dismantling a strong Malden Catholic team 11-0 in the EMASS finals in 1970, I think he scored 5 or 6 goals. In the EMASS finals the year before , he took the puck from behind his own net, skated past every Melrose player on the ice, circled around the Melrose net and stuffed it in on his backhand with one hand. And Melrose had a great goalie that year. And he insisted on using a STRAIGHT stick- he never used a curved stick. Someone on this message board said no one could touch him--they couldn't-- he skated around everyone--defenders couldn't check him into the boards because by the time they committed, he was gone. In the "modern era", with great players and the level of play much higher than the late 60's, there has been less of a gap between the great ones and the average ones. But great players all and a lively debate!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

Rich Burchill from CM was the best goalie I played against in H.S. Not a rocket scientist by any means, but was practically unbeatable some games. Never saw Barasso in H.S. but obviously great.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldskate. Show oldskate's posts

agree wholeheartedly. that Matignon team was great; and those two were unstoppable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from therick9. Show therick9's posts

On the ISL teams, there are no postgraduate players. Some players may have repeated.

At schools like Andover, Exeter, St. Paul's, Cushing, and Avon thereare usually between 2-7 postgrad players. A sizable number ofplayers are not repeats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pesull. Show pesull's posts

Ahh Rich Hebner anyone?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

One of the best: Jay Pandolfo, Burlington High School, won NCAA title at BU and Stanley Cups with the Devils.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Jim Meehan of Melrose and Tippy Johnson of Lynn English by far the best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emarsh10. Show emarsh10's posts

Best I ever saw in person:

- Doug Brown and Scott Young from St Mark's in Southboro were the two best I ever saw in person. Both had like 18 year NHL careers.

- Steve Leach - Matignon

- Shawn Bates - Meffa

- Roenick and Amonte - Thayer

- Paul Mara and Ian Moran - Belmont Hill

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbooker. Show kbooker's posts

freddie willis - same year as hebner. he played both hockey and football at bc and then went on to play rb for the bengals and oilers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cc55. Show cc55's posts

Re: Best mass. hockey players ever

Add Scott & Mark Fusco to the discussion.