B's offered Orr 10% ownership

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

The Bruins offered Orr 10% ownership. It's good to be "gung-ho", but it's even more important to be ACCURATE, to wit...it wasn't the Bruins or Harry Sinden who were responsible for Orr leaving the Bruins, it was Orr's unscrupulous agent 's fault. "The Eagle" chose not to relay the Bruins offer of 10% team ownership to Orr. Orr knew nothing about the Bruins offer until years later. Russ Conway of the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune broke this story (with information provided by Orr) a few years ago, check it out online sometime.

The Bruins made Orr an offer that was unheard of at the time (and even today for that matter): the B's offered Bobby Orr 10% of Bruins team ownership. That's right, 10%...do you know what that offer would be worth to Orr today? Around $20 million. The offer was made through Orr's since jailed player agent, Alan Eagleson, who never relayed the offer to Orr because it flew in the face of what Eagleson was trying to accomplish at the time with the NHL Players Association. Orr was the unwitting victom of a classic clash of interests. This negative experience at the hands of Eagleson is reportedly one of the reason's Bobby is a player agent today.

Eagleson, aka "The Eagle", recently finished out his 5-year (approx.) jail sentence in Canada for all kinds of improper handling of NHLPA finances. Also, Eagleson was also forced to resign from the Hockey Hall of Fame after he was found to be an out and out thief. Orr, Bucyk, Park and many other retired players showed up at Eagleson's trial to make sure the whole story got heard, also to counteract the Eagleson character reference offered up during the legal proceedings by the esteemed Philadelphia Phliar Bobby Clarke. UNreal.).

We were all gung-ho back in the day of the Orr-fueled "Big, Bad Bruins", but there's no need to embellish it by trying to blame the Bruins or Harry Sinden when they in fact did the right thing, incredible as that may seem now. Knowng what we knew back then, we were right to feel that way (appalled, saddened and embittered to see Orr wind up signing anywhere but Boston). Orr signed with Chicago where he played less than 40 games over 3 seasons (note: he never played against the Bruins), and admirably/incredibly refused to cash a single paycheck from the Black Hawks because he knew the Hawks weren't getting the player they expected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toppazini. Show toppazini's posts

i remember this story breaking and recalling an interview with don cherry a few years after orr left. he said that if orr had stayed, he would have been treated like a "stradivarius" only playing on the power play, like they did with bucyk. that would have given us more than i believe it was the 11 games that orr and park manned the points for the most fearsome power play i have ever seen or imagined. the puck seemed to be magnetized to their sticks. i can only have nightmares thinking what it must have been like to face that, especially as a goalie. i'm glad i got to see it for the short time they played together as i've never seen anything close to it since. if you recall, the b's brass tried to bs us, telling us we were to get phil russell at the end of the year. finally orr came out and said it was stipulated in his contract that if he left there was to be no compensation for him. between eagleson and the b's honchos there is not half the class that orr expels when brushing his teeth in the morning. we were fortunate to have a class act like orr for as long as we did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hanlon948. Show hanlon948's posts

I was away at college and only got to see Orr and Park play once together, but it was like watching a power play up in heaven. My original information was wrong; the Bruins offer to Orr wasn't 10% of ownership, it was 18%. That's probably the single best contract offer that's ever been made to an athlete in the history of American professional sports. Say what you want about the Bruins owners back then (pre-Jacobs), in making that kind of an offer, they did the right thing by Bobby. It was Orr's agent, Alan Eagleson, who purposely didn't tell Orr about that 18% ownership offer. "The Eagle", thoroughly disgraced, was later booted as head of NHLPA, forced to resign from the Hall of Fame, disbarred and finally went to jail.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toppazini. Show toppazini's posts

the offer to orr reminds me when joe dimaggio was asked in the 80's or 90's what it would be like if he had to negotiate a contract with steinbrenner in that era. he said "i'd go in, sit down and say well, george buddy, it appears as though we're about to become partners." by the way, it was the jacobs brothers who owned the team then. they had purchased it from the adams family-weston, not gomez-a year or so before that under their corporate name sportsystems. they made their money buying concession rights in race tracks and stadiums. it turned they did the right thing by making that offer, but it was one of the only right things they were to do over the years. i bet the players on the first team canada wish they had let the russians arrest eagleson during the final game in russia instead of leaving the bench en masse to save him. i guess it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. you wonder how a thief like that could rise to such a position, but then again nixon became president. may they both rot in the nether regions of hell along with mike torres, bucky dent, chuck fairbanks. ben dreith, ed armbruster, bobby clarke and bill friday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

I'd like to know if Orr himself has stated that he would have accepted an offer of 18% of the Bruins. I know that sounds crazy, but being the kind of guy he was, he left money on the table in Chicago because he didn't play much there. He would probably say that guys like Milt Schmidt deserve a piece as well. After all, it was Schmidt that acquired Esposito, Hodge and Stanfield from the Blackhawks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from subman47. Show subman47's posts

I too remember Orr saying that the deal the Bruins offered was never relayed to him by his agent Alan Eagleson. Eagleson had already agreed to the deal with the Blackhawks and didn't want any problems to screw it up. The Eagle sure was a fine and honest agent. He sure was. LOL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackAtkinson. Show JackAtkinson's posts

I've read Conway's book: excellent, does a real slam job on Eagleson. Without doubt, however, the best part of the book is where Conway describes Orr's visit to Children's Hospital; late at night, no media. Trust me, you'll get misty when reading it. More than a great hockey player, he is a good guy; totally selfless. I've read that Gretzky is cut from a similar mold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from remembermadison. Show remembermadison's posts

There will never be another Robert Gordon Orr, the greatest hockey player ever, ever humble, ever the gentleman and ever the pristine role model.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CRJB1. Show CRJB1's posts

It would have been interesting to see Orr and Bourque together as well.

Sections
Shortcuts