Charlestown Survives Ills of Jack Obrien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

After years of illegal recruiting, grade tampering, and other illegal practices, Charlestown is this year's success story. The Jack Obrien era was everything bad about high school basketball...despite what the public might have you believe. He road the backs of the inner city youth that he usually started recruiting in 6th grade to a string of state championships. New coach Steve Cassidy didn't look the other way this year when a number of his best players flunked off the team. Newsflash to Jack O'brien...high school basketball is not about you winning! Here's to more Cassidys, even if C-town never wins the title again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

oh yeah...the children that Obrien professed he saved from the throngs of inner city crime (see 3-week documentary produced in conjunction with the Globe last year) return to their violent neighborhoods after their high school "careers" with little academic skills and the realization that they will not make the NBA. It's about time people start talking about what really occurred during Charlestown's "Road to Glory".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

It's high time the MIAA start investigating the underground high school basketball world, even in a state not noted for its star players. If it weren't for the kids who, after being hoodwinked by Obrien, for the most part, have little to lean back on save the memories of their championships...Charlestown should be stripped of its titles between 1999-2005 and Obrien should be barred from ever coaching again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem. Show guesmem's posts

Have you confronted Coach with these charges directly? Why bore us on here with your personal attacks. Manup and confront him directly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

Haha...personal attack, if you've been around Charlestown as long as I have you know these things are true. Who are you convincing? It's like Bush saying there were WMD in Iraq. There is little doubt he coached for personal glory. Lynn English's students are better for not having him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

I have been around Charlestown and education for my entire life. Charlestown has serious administration problems that masked what was going on with the basketball team. If you want me to be specific about instances of corruption and exploitation over the years....I could go on for days. If you're an O'brien supporter, I suggest that you not hatchet open this Pandora's box. He ran his high school programs like the Jerry Tarkanian Runnin' Rebels of the Larry Johnson Era, winning at all costs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem. Show guesmem's posts

Fine. Enough with the idle threats. If you have something either confront him directly or provide the info to Ventura at the Herald or whomever covers hs ball for the globe.

Get it out in the open.

Anyone can write anything on here. ####, I could say I saw Deval Patrick gettin laid in a downtown garage by a hooker.

This will be my last post on this. I look forward to the expose in a major reputable daily.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

I'm in my golden years and O'brien is done...that's what's best for the kids at Charlestown. I doubt highly that the Globe would want to tackle this issue after producing such a miss-informed, high profile documentary. Young man/woman...I believe you're not seeing the larger issue and what's best for student-athletes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrblackrock. Show mrblackrock's posts

Dont be suprised to see Jack coaching Brockton next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

And don't be surprised when Brockton starts miraculously winning state titles because of the same unscrupulous practices.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

It's ironic that the front page of boston.com speaks of O'brien jilting Lynn English twice, he also jilted the young kids that he played on a string and tried to take with him to English. Undoubtedly, if Brockton makes the grave mistake of hiring him, O'brien will once again play puppeteer and don't be surprised if some familiar Charlestown players, even ones that had failed off the team, end in Brockton uniforms. Didn't you know there's an underground market for Boston youth that can play ball? Wouldn't it be nice if they were so desired for their academic abilities?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

Cassidy's Charlestown team will take out Norwell due to the tremendous guard play of a young Shabazz Napier

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

What was the Charlestown/Norwell result

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eljefe81. Show eljefe81's posts

you would care if he were coaching your child