Dennis and Callahan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannymoe69. Show dannymoe69's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I stopped listening to D & C years ago because of the 3 hours of politics, 30 mins of commercials and 30 mins of sports. Their ratings were a joke, and I cant wait to get a Dale Arnold or Bob Neumier in there. Good luck D and C Mc Donalds is hiring!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from spikewebbe. Show spikewebbe's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I like Dennis and Callahan, been listening to them since 1999. And I do enjoy the combination of politics and sports. Of course sometimes they aggrivate people but so what; their show is enjoyable for the most part. I wonder if they'll be back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from uc2002. Show uc2002's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I am not a huge D&C fan either for one reason, lack of preparedness. I understand how morning drive radio works. Politics fits. That's fine. I may not agree with them on everything but hey, it worked for them.

What I could not stand was their lack of knowledge of general, local sports information. For example, they didn't know who the Patriots were playing in their next game or who was pitching two days from now. They constantly had to "look it up". Have a schedule on the wall! Use the internet. Dale and Holley have no problem doing this if they forget something.

Beyond that, they rarely have a factual answer to a sports-related questions from listeners. Opinion based questions, they are all right with, though their reasoning is generally faulty. However, ask them a question or make a fact-based point on their sports topic of the day, and they have to look up an answer. Of course this is perfect for them because you cannot stay on the line while this happens because neither of them will take the time to do it while on the phone with a caller. When they find the answer, you cannot build off of that point and have an actual conversation about sports unless it is strictly opinion based. Of course there is their fallback, Meter. He is a stats geek, the polar opposite of D&C but they will only turn to him so often. They don't want to look like they rely on him to back them up.

I guess I just do not get why this is so hard for them to do. They have a theme for the day, a major topic that their show will revolve around. Do some research about it. Have facts and stats to back up your opinion. Anticipate the questions that the callers/emailers will have so you can converse with them. Even if you mess that part up, you do not anticipate the questions correctly, then use one of your seven 5 minute-plus commercial breaks to do some research. Have dialogue with the listeners. Trust me, I have taught for several years and when I plan my lessons, I predict what questions the students could ask. I find those answers. Then when I get a minute, I find more information for other questions that I may not have known. It isn't that hard. If I took the D&C position, I'd be out of a job because I'd never get anything accomplished.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from spikewebbe. Show spikewebbe's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I agree with what you said. That bothers me that sometimes they had no idea what they were talking about whether they were discussing sports or politics. The thing is they were too much of "homers" and wouldn't know the starting fielder for the Houston Astros and would never watch a Mets/Cubs game. And the constant bashing of Joe Morgan doing the ESPN games; hello, of course he's not a knowledgable with the Sox as Jerry and Don are because he doesn't cover the Sox on a daily basis. Also, they'll make judgements about players without never going into the locker rooms. That's my problem with sports radio. But most of the time I enjoy their show and there have been some great debates from some of the callers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdmordas. Show cdmordas's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I've been listening to WEEI for over 17 years now - I'm 34 - I love D&C in the morning (like Callahan the most but they compliment one another). This is ridiculous - If WEEI plays games like this they will lose a large portion of their core audience / devoted listeners. If they move on to another station I'm changing the dial to follow them. This has been such a joke with the crap they have put on in their place. It is becoming increasingly annoying having to listen to these fill-ins - none of them measure up to Dennis and Callahan - I find myself more and more often changing the channel due to aggravation/boredom especially with Mustard, Neumieir, and Stearns... Disgruntled Listener

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from uc2002. Show uc2002's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I will occasionally listen but you go in knowing what you are going to get. To the person who said their ratings are a joke, check the books again. Not a joke. Most of what they do is schtick, including JMP.

The other day, though, I had the show on and almost vomitted. Someone called in and discussed his having diabetes and needing to take insulin. Callahan basically equated this guy to a heroin addict. No appology, and when called out by the caller he actually said, "I never called you that." When pressed, he just yelled louder and hung up on the caller. It went out over the airwaves for the entire listenership to hear. I will not listen again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoaste30. Show EastCoaste30's posts

Dennis and Callahan

[Quote]Dennis always has some stupid right wing rant going on. it's a freakin sports show - give it a break....it's good they are on a break...maybe some humble pie will do them good. [/Quote]

D&C talking about politics is the equivalent of Dr. Phil talking about psychology on Oprah. Their opinions (and according to them, their opinions are fact) are over-simplified and poorly informed. I also dislike the fact that they don't allow callers who disagree with them to support their opinions. They're closed-minded simpletons and I'll be quite happy if/when they're gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newenglanddad. Show Newenglanddad's posts

Dennis and Callahan

D&C along with most of the useless hosts on EEI are ego-maniacs. My biggest problem with Boston sports media is how the journalists try to somehow make themselves part of the very news they're reporting on, just to get attention. And they get away with it because this city is so fanatical about sports that they're easily whipped up into a frenzy about events that in the grand scheme of life really arent all that important.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

Dennis and Callahan

Okay, so what i hear you all say is dennis and callahan are stupid _________ insert insult as you will, because you dont agree with thier politics? ahh, so then, you would say, everyone who disagrees with you is incorrect because you all are obviously so right? talk about Ego maniacs. Right wing this, conservative that. Phooey. You want to know why there is little to no left wing talk radio? because you all sit around stroking each others ego's, and feeling self righteous about how you are going to save the world. Too bad you , yes im gonna sink to your level, Liberal leaning whiners, have done nothing in this state but make it the most corrupt state in history. Like the pol. who stole thousands from the machines on the office, who is still running for relection and backed by the democratic party. Or maybe matty grabouskas( sp) giving raises to 240 T executives makig 85k or more a year, all while crying poormouth and threatening to raise T rates. Simply put you people do not listen to D &C you hear what you want to hear. To the person who said john dennis equated a diabetic with a heroin addict, why dont you listen to what was said again. you totally got it wrong. Gerry Callahan, having a problem with politicians and crybaby criminals who get away with murder in this state is damn good to hear. we have too many self serving politicians or political wannabe's in this state making it a laughing stock. Like Deval Patricks statments made over and over about how he willlower the real estate tax in our state!, anyone seen a decrease? How about our lovely statehouse wreck waiting to happen Sal ( never saw a raise i didnt like) dimasi, who gave raises and charmanships to people who swung thier votes t his side? In the dictionary this is called bribery, but not in this state , the liberals call it, using your influence. '
    You can sum up this state easily by saying the FBI's most wanted has a man named Whitey Bulger..who, coincidentally was never caught, .and we had the most powerful man in this states government for many many years, was..huh his brother? and yet his brother never did anything wrong... yeah right. tell me honestly is there anyone here on these forums, whodoesnt know of someone who works for the state or city, who got thier job based on who they know, not what they know.
    Toll takers are caught taking money, and even though there isnt a person here who hasnt known for year that they probably do we act shocked. Firfighters abusing disability? oh my , and firefighters records all disappea? oh who would have thought it? Heck the guy who was bodybuilding , filed for his pension, and in this state, ill bet you he gets it.
    Massachusetts- home of the handout. unless you honestly need it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Dennis and Callahan

I can't speak for others, but for me the issue is that WEEI advertises itself as Sports Talk Radio and D&C seem to talk about every but sports. Besides, I find them offensive and it's only a matter of time before they cross the line - again.

Being conservative doesn't equate to being crass and abrasive. Expressing conservative opinions is not the same thing as expressing hate speech. And, I would be willing to bet that if they could get higher ratings by toning it down, then they would. The problem is that neither one has anything of value to say about local sports and are left to appeal to the dregs of conservatism.

Sections
Shortcuts