Missing Lobel?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Missing Lobel?

Sportscaster Bob Lobel quietly signed off Channel 4 last night, after nearly 30 years and 10,000 sports reports. Will you miss Lobel? Did you watch his final broadcast? What do you think Channel 4 should do to replace him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcbroker. Show fcbroker's posts

Missing Lobel?

It's about time he left the airways.� He's been the most annoying, whiney Boston Sports figure for years.� One day he says the Red Sox are unbeatable and the best team in baseball, and if they lose a game or two, he says they are the worst.� He does the same with the Celtics, Patriots and Bruins too.He's the lone reason I don't watch the news on that station.�

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eagles99. Show eagles99's posts

Missing Lobel?

The best ever.� He will be missed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jj346. Show jj346's posts

Missing Lobel?

Good Luck to Bob and may better things come his way...truly a Boston staple....good luck and enjoy life!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpc. Show rpc's posts

Missing Lobel?

I've never been a Bob Lobel fan, but a lot of people like him, so I feel bad for Mr. Lobel and his fans. The way it was handled was not good. He deserved better for his years of service to Boston's sports fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

Missing Lobel?

The new style of TV sports personality seems to be perpetually excited, extremely high energy - and very loud, but not what I want to see when I'm looking for when I'm watching sports news.� Count me among those who thinks Channel 4 had made a bad decision, and who will miss Bob Lobel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craichead. Show craichead's posts

Missing Lobel?

Did anyone else think Lobel was drunk during the marathon coverage?� Gotta wonder if his boozing was the catalyst for his departure...�

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerry151. Show jerry151's posts

Missing Lobel?

Channel 4 who????�� �If Lobel had to go then�I will�have to go also...to channel 5 or 7!� You can't mess with an icon and think the loyal viewers are just going to sit back and be kicked in the gut. Lobel was one of the few on the local tube that connected with the viewers. Not just the sport fans.....even my wife enjoyed his broadcasts and she thinks football is a new type of shoe?!?!?!?!?! Loyalty goes both ways!Thanks for letting me vent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from defa1. Show defa1's posts

Missing Lobel?

Lobel was horrible, especially �in his las 10 years, his sports casting��seemed to be a bother every time he went on the air and couldn't be more boring and pathetic.� I'm surprised it took so long to get him out. It's time for the whole news cast team to be revamped.�New young blood is needed, who wants to see 50 and 60 somethings do the news�in todays enviroment? Give us the�younger�more uplifting personal and maybe the ratings will turn around for them. �

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle91. Show bceagle91's posts

Missing Lobel?

A big loss to local charities, judging by the love letter Dan Shaughnessy wrote today.� Not a big loss to sports fans.� WBZ was the first station to have a ticker at the bottom of the screen giving scores.� That was because Bob would get so sidetracked in messing up the highlights that he wouldn't get to the score.� He was good once, but it looked like he became a self-parody.� His "why can't we get players like that?" line got old pretty quickly.� I won't miss him.� Let them re-hire Scott Wahle.� He used to do sports.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from neilo70. Show neilo70's posts

Missing Lobel?

Bob Lobel was an icon in this town . I have memories of watching sports spotlight� and huddleing around the tv with my family to catch it. Someday he will be remembered for his contributions but unfortunately that always comes too late. ���������� You will be missed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheaper. Show cheaper's posts

Missing Lobel?

Awww, you don't have to go farther than Daisy Buchanan's to get yer Lobey fix. Table in the back. Guy with the drink in his hand and the REALLY red face. That's Bob.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3in4. Show 3in4's posts

Missing Lobel?

I've never been a fan of his. Local sports reports have become irrelevant anyway. You get about 5-10 minutes of scores and highlights max. You turn on ESPN and you get more info, even on our local teams. Maybe that isn't as true in places like Kansas City, but Boston sports are a nationwide news story. Not being pompous, just a fact since we have fans coast to coast.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnv2323. Show johnv2323's posts

Missing Lobel?

Bob Lobel who???????

All he ever did was complain with his stupid quote "why can't we get players like that?"

just our luck he will probably flounder at TV38 for another 10 years instead of moving to the cape and walk the beach's in a stupid sun hat like all the other irrelevants

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamgalt. Show teamgalt's posts

Missing Lobel?

Good riddance.� The smarmiest sportscaster in the city.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjc123. Show bjc123's posts

Missing Lobel?

BobYou will be missed!!!� I will find another station to watch and hopefully, you'll be on it!!� I don\t believe that this is the end of your career, just the beginning of a new adventure.� Good luck in all you do and thank you for all of your help with the Build a Dream Foundation.� You have helped that foundation find money for homes for retarded adults for years.� It is certainly appreciated by many.�

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazztbn. Show jazztbn's posts

Missing Lobel?

I must admit, I never liked Lobel -- his on-air demeanor always made me think he was drunk or high.� I also found his insider's attitude toward golf to be off-putting to those of us non-duffers.� However, all that being said, I think channel 4's unceremonious dumping of him is unfortunate, as was their similar dumping of Bruce Schwoegler some years ago.� We New England news-hounds tend to bond to these personalities, like them or not, and I think WBZ will find that many viewers will find another place to bond.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbelislecnmt. Show tbelislecnmt's posts

Missing Lobel?

No........he's terrible!!!! The most boring sportscaster in the city. I won't miss him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hingham91. Show hingham91's posts

Missing Lobel?

No way.� Lobel is one of the most arrogant and annoying sportscasters in the industry.� He was his biggest fan and I think most Boston sports fans would have loved to see his face when he was told he was irrelevant and dismissed.� I would change the channel the second that his face appeared on my screen. Mike Lynch is my favorite sportscaster in Boston. �I have to say, not that I am a big entertainment segment fan, that hearing Joyce Kulhawik being fired was fairly surprising. I always liked her and I think she will land on her feet.���

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bushie. Show bushie's posts

Missing Lobel?

Just like Dan RatherBob had his day in the sun.� His ego grew too big and he stopped being entertaining.� In time, just like Dan Rather, he became the laughing stock of Boston sports media.� I applaud WBZ for making the tough call.� The last few years were painful for all the viewers trying to decipher what he was saying.� Will we see Bob's re-emergence on some low level cable channel like Dan Rather?� Better to get out now.Happy retirement Bob.�

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheaper. Show cheaper's posts

Missing Lobel?

Boy, you really put me in my place. Coward, eh? I doubt you'd find anyone who wouldn't be willing to share their views on him in public. I wonder if the time I told Lobel his coverage was slipping to his face at a bar in Boston constitutes bravery in your book.

I don't pity Bob for "putting himself out there", especially for the big house in Wellesley.

Your defense of him is admirable, but I don't think Bob will be hurting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dpa10. Show dpa10's posts

Missing Lobel?

Wow, fcbroker, that's quite the whiney post. Did you tune in to channel 4 often so that you could be totally offended often? Where will you go now?

Lobel will be back soon, most likely has a talk show host or talking head on one of the cable networks. His wit, humor, insight and proper perspective regarding sports will be better served in that domain, where he is beyond parallel.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biznineus. Show biznineus's posts

Missing Lobel?

As a 20 year old broadcast student, I attempted to cover an NHL meeting in a Boston Hotel. It was after New Jersey Devils' coach Jim Schoenfeld tells referee Don Koharski to 'eat another doughnut you fat pig!"

I sat across the room from all of the local talent, including Lobel. By the way, all of them shared the same language that me and my friends shared at that time and still do today. It was welcoming. They were all TV talent and I wanted one of their jobs. UNTIL... I spoke with Bob. He was not only kind enough and real enough to answer my questions, he went so far as to ask me about my background and my interests. A true class act.

The man worked tirelessly. All I wanted to do was the 7-minutes of TV time and interview players. I had no idea of all the leg work that was involved.

Good luck, Bob! Like
    Bob Neumeier before you, I'll miss you as you walk out the door and look forward to you popping up in the future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugmenot. Show bugmenot's posts

Missing Lobel?

Don't miss him at all. Don Gillis was much better�

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts