Adrian Wilson Signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Adrian Wilson Signed

In response to chiefret's comment:

Finally, Rodney Harrison's replacement. Wilson is big, 6'3", 230. Pats are flying under the radar,   methodically filling in holes. They've moved head of Denver as the best team in the AFC. 

At what point exactly did Denver pass us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to chiefret's comment:

Finally, Rodney Harrison's replacement. Wilson is big, 6'3", 230. Pats are flying under the radar,   methodically filling in holes. They've moved head of Denver as the best team in the AFC. 

I think some think when they signed Welker, this is huge. Can bring attitude to the defense again. I like the signing.

At what point exactly did Denver pass us?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Manning can't win in January and Welker craps his pants in big games.  Don't let the bloated win total against a weak schedule or the talking heads fool you into believing their good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Yup.  Now comes Abraham.  BB is putting it all together.

Can the whiners step up and admit that they may have been a little impetuous the past few days?  BB knows what he's doing.  

Now, sign Abraham, Talib, and offer Vollmer no more than 7 per.  If he refuses, give the reigns to Cannon and let Scar work his magic.  Draft more OL and DL depth in the draft, trade Mallett for picks or for a DT, and bring in a couple more WR bodies for camp.  

I couldn't be happier with the way things are looking for the Pats, honestly.

The BBWs (Babe and Pezzy), Irrationals (Mt Hurl and his pathetic group) and Millenials like a Bdbreu will never quite get there is a systematic process to building a team and this thing called the salary cap.

Obviously, getting a guy like Wilson who will put a hurting on people from that position, is huge to pair with McCourty and tutor Tavon Wilson.

Sounds like Emmanuel Sanders could be next with the Abraham deal after that.  Abraham has "come to terms", but hasn't "signed", for whatever reason.

I have Cards season Tickets. 2 things, he can't cover anyone anymore. As soon as HGH testing is in place he will be suspended. Not the same player he was 3 years ago. On the good side, Belichick will use him to his strengths.Still a big time hitter, biggger and stronger than Rodney, good football IQ.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Manning can't win in January and Welker craps his pants in big games.  Don't let the bloated win total against a weak schedule or the talking heads fool you into believing their good.

Denver plays in a very weak division. Now the Chiefs have gotten a little better but Denver especially Manning always chokes in the big game. Welker does drop passes at inopportune times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Great pick up guys. Fills the safety/LB hybrid role. Lay the wood and can still cover despite limited action in arizonas sorry defense last year.

Arizona actually had a good defense last year. The Offense was a joke. Who says he can still cover. You. He can definitely still Hit.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"Their" lol

Listen, Van Winkle, the entire media contingent is proclaiming Denver is the "prohibitive" favorite across the board especially after the Welker signing.

You must live under a rock.

lol, classic fool.  Yeah Rusty the MEDIA.  Isn't Tomase part of that media you respect So much?  Training Bra Troll

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've got to be going nuts, am I the only one worried we signed a safety that will be 34 next season? I mean I loved Wilson at one point, but he's the same age Harrison was when he retired.

maybe we can use his height and hitting ability, but everyone knows how these young tight ends are - they can run - Wilson can't. Once your legs are gone its over, this guy isn't the first older, bigger safety we've signed that never made it out of camp...hope this is different.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I've got to be going nuts, am I the only one worried we signed a safety that will be 34 next season? I mean I loved Wilson at one point, but he's the same age Harrison was when he retired.

maybe we can use his height and hitting ability, but everyone knows how these young tight ends are - they can run - Wilson can't. Once your legs are gone its over, this guy isn't the first older, bigger safety we've signed that never made it out of camp...hope this is different.

He gotta be better then the absolute Garbage we've been putting out there the last few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

These signings are good and happy to have 'em but I thought Mazz raised a good point today (something I don't think i have ever typed before), which is: if your strategy is to sign a bunch of "value guys" and see what sticks to the wall, then what do we need Belichick's supposedly outstanding talent evaluation skills for? I could have identified and signed a bunch of these guys. 

At some point it might be good to take a chance on a playmaker, you know, put a few eggs in the same basket. 

But I will keep an open mind to see what kind of team we have when it's all said and done....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Great depth signing and vet leadership. Should add some nice run stopping power and good TE/RB coverage in nickel packages. I agree with the report below very nice signing

Patriots agreed to terms with SS Adrian Wilson, formerly of the Cardinals, on a three-year contract.

Wilson was one of many veterans the Patriots hosted for a Friday visit. After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. 33-year-old Wilson is an in-the-box safety who will likely play early downs before being replaced by some combination of Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson in passing situations. Wilson will probably be hailed as Bill Belichick's "next Rodney Harrison," but it's highly, highly unlikely he'll have 50 percent of that kind of impact. Related:  Cardinals   Source:  Mike Jurecki on Twitter Ma

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

For those saying he's over the hill, old, and not a good player, let me ask you this:

Could he possibly be worse than who we had? The guy has been a top-tier safety for a LONG time, and he happened to have ONE down year... this sounds A LOT like Rodney's situation before coming here. 

One down year doesn't mean he won't get back to his old form. 

The other question to raise is WHO ELSE would you rather have had? Most of the safeties on the market are roaming, FS type of guys. We already have a great one in McCourty. Not a huge hitter, but he's a solid tackler, and the dude has a ton of range. Instinctive, smart, and can close on the ball like hell. Reed, Quinn, Delmas, etc, would've been redundant. We needed a hard-hitting, smart, enforcer to fill the SS void. Wilson is a perfect fit for that role, and quite frankly, the ONLY fit for that role of the guys on the market.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

PFF

"Adrian Wilson was very solid in coverage, yielding just 12 receptions on 27 targets (44.4 percent)

He also provides a spark in the pass-rush, having been sent on 42 rushes and generating nine total pressures (five hurries, one hit, three contributed sacks), creating pressure on over 20 percent of his pass-rushes"

This second paragraph will be the key.  

So much for the "he can't cover anymore" talk. The guy still has a bit left in the tank... he had a down year in 2012, but was the second best safety in the NFL the year prior. No reason he can't bounce back to his elite form.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

we dont need a cover safety. we have lacked a hard hitting safety since harrison.

i dont care if wilson is the worst cover safety in the nfl... if he he hit hard and put fear in people to come over the middle of the field, thats all we need.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Ed Reed apparently left Houston without a contract. But that news is not relevant since the Pats signed Adrian Wislon .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to patriots44's comment:

I have Cards season Tickets. 2 things, he can't cover anyone anymore. As soon as HGH testing is in place he will be suspended. Not the same player he was 3 years ago. On the good side, Belichick will use him to his strengths.Still a big time hitter, biggger and stronger than Rodney, good football IQ.

If you're being serious...then let me tap your knowledge!

1) What position did he mainly play? Up at the line? Back in coverage? About 50/50?

2) How was he? I mean simply, as a fan of football and going to games...was he a player you watched? Did he show up in plays a lot? Shoving matches?

What you said so far sounds perfect for the role I envision him playing:

With ONE more piece (talib), I feel very comfortable with the Pats' secondary. Wilson plays mostly near the line, against the TEs, up the middle (2 areas of weakness), and heavily against the run. McCourty gets to play over the top where he's been best, looking into the backfield. Talib at one corner, Dennard/Arrington/Player X/Likely Draft pick as CBs 2-4.

Chandler Jones being back healthy will be a HUGE plus. Hopefully he stays healthy. With Vince, Deaderick, Ninkovich/whoever at the line, I expect a better pass rush overall. We all saw the difference with Talib on the field. It opened up a LOT of options for the D. Jones and Talib never really played together completely healthy. I'd really like to see that team, with the obvious LBs, play healthy...at least early in the season I bet it would be fun.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

As for the Rodney Harrison comparisons...

NINJA PLEASE!

One, big, obvious, GLARING thing I haven't seen mentioned (though may have missed). Wilson is 34.

Harrison was 30!

Didn't turn 31 until December of that season.

You get 1...count that...ONE player like Harrison in your life. He's a HoF player. If not for the recent surg in unreal safeties (Reed, Polamalu, Bob Sanders for a few years, Merriweather, Sean Taylor before he got killed, Eric Berry though he's young and was hurt last year) more peaople would pay attention. I believe he's STILL the only Safety with 30 sacks and 30 INTs in a career.

Rodeny Harrison was a gift not from the football gods, but the moron GM who finally just lost his job I believe (AJ Smith). One of the WORST GMs that nobody talks about how bad he is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

As for the Rodney Harrison comparisons...

NINJA PLEASE!

One, big, obvious, GLARING thing I haven't seen mentioned (though may have missed). Wilson is 34.

Harrison was 30!

Didn't turn 31 until December of that season.

You get 1...count that...ONE player like Harrison in your life. He's a HoF player. If not for the recent surg in unreal safeties (Reed, Polamalu, Bob Sanders for a few years, Merriweather, Sean Taylor before he got killed, Eric Berry though he's young and was hurt last year) more peaople would pay attention. I believe he's STILL the only Safety with 30 sacks and 30 INTs in a career.

Rodeny Harrison was a gift not from the football gods, but the moron GM who finally just lost his job I believe (AJ Smith). One of the WORST GMs that nobody talks about how bad he is.

Adrian Wilson is one of the few safeties with at least 25 interceptions and 25 sacks. Also, Wilson is 33, not 34. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i think we are dreaming if we think wilson is going to be rodney harrison-esque....but what he should provide is veteran leadership and stability to the safety position....he also can lay the boom on receivers when they go across the middle...i think he can help mccourty blossom into a perennial all star safety.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

i think we are dreaming if we think wilson is going to be rodney harrison-esque....but what he should provide is veteran leadership and stability to the safety position....he also can lay the boom on receivers when they go across the middle...i think he can help mccourty blossom into a perennial all star safety.

I'm sure people said the same thing prior to Harrison arriving... that we would be crazy to expect him to be anything beyond a stable body in the secondary who would provide depth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151212/article/adrian-wilson-signs-with-new-england-patriots

I'm liking it more and more. Forget the paragraph article. The comments are where it's at.

Nickname: A-Dub

Fans of the Cardinals seem to like him, with comments ranging from "got a steal", to he "he will punish anyone", "He's a beast" seemd to be popular...and my favorite:

"he deserves a ring"