Adrian Wilson Signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Adrian Wilson Signed

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

i think we are dreaming if we think wilson is going to be rodney harrison-esque....but what he should provide is veteran leadership and stability to the safety position....he also can lay the boom on receivers when they go across the middle...i think he can help mccourty blossom into a perennial all star safety.

I'm sure people said the same thing prior to Harrison arriving... that we would be crazy to expect him to be anything beyond a stable body in the secondary who would provide depth.

true, but im just not going to expect huge things from wilson...not to say i would be overly surprised if he plays very well....he has had a great career and im sure he is hungry for a super bowl ring before he retires. im just saying ill be more than ok with the signing if he just plays pretty well and is a stable force in the secondary. him and mccourty will make a pretty damn good tandem imo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

i think we are dreaming if we think wilson is going to be rodney harrison-esque....but what he should provide is veteran leadership and stability to the safety position....he also can lay the boom on receivers when they go across the middle...i think he can help mccourty blossom into a perennial all star safety.

I'm sure people said the same thing prior to Harrison arriving... that we would be crazy to expect him to be anything beyond a stable body in the secondary who would provide depth.

Not true. Different with Harrison. He played on bad knees in SD his last year. Then AJ Smith cut him, and said he was done. Nobody would sign him. Pats got him on a 1mil vet minimum for a reduced cap hit. If you watch the Road to Glory Video from 03, you see him thanking BB after the AFCC for "giving him a chance" I believe is what he said. Right before BB reminds him they aren't done, and he replies "Yes, sir" of that, I'm sure.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Not true. Different with Harrison. He played on bad knees in SD his last year. Then AJ Smith cut him, and said he was done. Nobody would sign him. Pats got him on a 1mil vet minimum for a reduced cap hit. If you watch the Road to Glory Video from 03, you see him thanking BB after the AFCC for "giving him a chance" I believe is what he said. Right before BB reminds him they aren't done, and he replies "Yes, sir" of that, I'm sure.

yea the talent was always there with rodney...you are right the lower expectations were more a product of his injuries...but i do see where he is coming from. you just never know. hopefully wilson plays well and helps the pats go deep in the playoffs again.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Not true. He broke an ankle that last year and we absolutely gave him more than the veteran minimum. If I recall he was in a meeting with the Raiders when Belichick called and told him not to sign that contract...he flew out the next day and we gave him a three year deal. Rodney had just turned 30 years old - he was far from washed up, just that season I saw him tackle a guy with so much power and violence that I thought he had killed him (actually killed the poor guy). I'm serious, he hit him so hard and high that the guy's body instantly bent in half as if it had folded...I thought he was dead. Rodney got up and just high fived Seau....even Seau looked uncomfortable about the whole thing as the guy layed there motionless.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adrian Wilson         Adrian Wilson @adrian_wilson24

#PATRIOTSNATION. I'LL TRY MY BEST TO TWEET. REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY. GREAT FANS AND GREAT TEAM!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Lawyer Milloy@LawyerMilloy

@adrian_wilson24 What a great pick up. The enforcer that's been missing in the @Patriots secondary!! D just got better!! #PATSNATION #Boston

pretty cool tweet by lawyer milloy about wilson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to patriots44's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Yup.  Now comes Abraham.  BB is putting it all together.

Can the whiners step up and admit that they may have been a little impetuous the past few days?  BB knows what he's doing.  

Now, sign Abraham, Talib, and offer Vollmer no more than 7 per.  If he refuses, give the reigns to Cannon and let Scar work his magic.  Draft more OL and DL depth in the draft, trade Mallett for picks or for a DT, and bring in a couple more WR bodies for camp.  

I couldn't be happier with the way things are looking for the Pats, honestly.

The BBWs (Babe and Pezzy), Irrationals (Mt Hurl and his pathetic group) and Millenials like a Bdbreu will never quite get there is a systematic process to building a team and this thing called the salary cap.

Obviously, getting a guy like Wilson who will put a hurting on people from that position, is huge to pair with McCourty and tutor Tavon Wilson.

Sounds like Emmanuel Sanders could be next with the Abraham deal after that.  Abraham has "come to terms", but hasn't "signed", for whatever reason.

I have Cards season Tickets. 2 things, he can't cover anyone anymore. As soon as HGH testing is in place he will be suspended. Not the same player he was 3 years ago. On the good side, Belichick will use him to his strengths.Still a big time hitter, biggger and stronger than Rodney, good football IQ.

He'll be used correctly. No one is looking for an elite coverage safety if McCourty is that.  Also, Tavon Wilson was a CB in college, so I am sure he and Adrian Wilson will share some reps.

BB will use him around the line, on blitzes, as the big nickel on TEs, etc.

Plus, you may be spoiled seeing him be the best Safety in the NFC for 10 years and now him not being as dominant as he once was. Pats could use the IQ, experience and hitting on the back end.

We're talking about a very accomplished Safety here, whose resume is only short on a SB ring.

One thing about Adrian is, he takes great care of his Body. No doubt he will show up in great shpe. He said that he wanted to sign with someone on the west coast. Having a chance to win a ring is definitely the reason he signed with us.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Great depth signing and vet leadership. Should add some nice run stopping power and good TE/RB coverage in nickel packages. I agree with the report below very nice signing

Patriots agreed to terms with SS Adrian Wilson, formerly of the Cardinals, on a three-year contract.

Wilson was one of many veterans the Patriots hosted for a Friday visit. After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. 33-year-old Wilson is an in-the-box safety who will likely play early downs before being replaced by some combination of Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson in passing situations. Wilson will probably be hailed as Bill Belichick's "next Rodney Harrison," but it's highly, highly unlikely he'll have 50 percent of that kind of impact. Related:  Cardinals   Source:  Mike Jurecki on Twitter Ma

"After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. "

oh!. that explains why hes headed here :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Lawyer Milloy@LawyerMilloy

@adrian_wilson24 What a great pick up. The enforcer that's been missing in the @Patriots secondary!! D just got better!! #PATSNATION #Boston

pretty cool tweet by lawyer milloy about wilson

Yeah that's cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Manning can't win in January and Welker craps his pants in big games.  Don't let the bloated win total against a weak schedule or the talking heads fool you into believing their good.

You could say the same about the Patroits. 7-7in the last 14 playoff games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Just going to put this here to discuss.

Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard

True RT @walkthisshay: Wilson is pi$$ poor in coverage and gets penalized a lot. Decent situational 34 year old player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Great depth signing and vet leadership. Should add some nice run stopping power and good TE/RB coverage in nickel packages. I agree with the report below very nice signing

Patriots agreed to terms with SS Adrian Wilson, formerly of the Cardinals, on a three-year contract.

Wilson was one of many veterans the Patriots hosted for a Friday visit. After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. 33-year-old Wilson is an in-the-box safety who will likely play early downs before being replaced by some combination of Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson in passing situations. Wilson will probably be hailed as Bill Belichick's "next Rodney Harrison," but it's highly, highly unlikely he'll have 50 percent of that kind of impact. Related:  Cardinals   Source:  Mike Jurecki on Twitter Ma

"After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. "

oh!. that explains why hes headed here :)

Are you always so negative and pessimistic? :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Just going to put this here to discuss.

Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard

True RT @walkthisshay: Wilson is pi$$ poor in coverage and gets penalized a lot. Decent situational 34 year old player.

Bunch of negative nancies. That's all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Mike Reiss         Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Adrian Wilson would bring size, experience and a hard-hitting presence to secondary. Also, potentially a LB-type role for him in sub package

Hey Mike...Wilson is 33 years old now. Can't understand why the Pats signed this over the hill guy, when 28 year old terror Bernard Pollard was available? Pollard led the Ravens in tackles last season, and would be the enforcer that the Pats need in their secondary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Rocky's comment:

Mike Reiss         Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Adrian Wilson would bring size, experience and a hard-hitting presence to secondary. Also, potentially a LB-type role for him in sub package

Hey Mike...Wilson is 33 years old now. Can't understand why the Pats signed this over the hill guy, when 28 year old terror Bernard Pollard was available. Pollard led the Ravens in tackles last season, and would be the enforcer that the Pats need in their secondary.

Be incredibly thankful we didn't sign Pollard... VERY thankful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: I guess you didn't watch the AFC title game last January...LOL!!! If Pollard ends up in Denver or in the AFC East, I bet that you'll be "thankful". Wilson would have been a great signing, 2-3 years ago. But now, he's 33...and was being phased out in Arizona. Collecting relics is not the way to win a championship.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: I guess you didn't watch the AFC title game last January...LOL!!! If Pollard ends up in Denver or in the AFC East, I bet that you'll be "thankful". Wilson would have been a great signing, 2-3 years ago. But now, he's 33...and was being phased out in Arizona. Collecting relics is not the way to win a championship.   

Pollard is worse than Wilson is coverage, has less than half Wilson's IQ, is a locker room cancer, possesses none of the leadership qualities Wilson has, doesn't have the size Wilson has, and can't blitz anywhere near as well as Wilson. The only comparison you can draw between the two is their hitting ability, and I might still give Wilson the nod in that area.

We needed a hard-hitting, smart, veteran leader at SS to go next to McCourty, who is a true FS. Wilson might not be an Ed Reed in coverage, but he is good enough to be able to drop back in a deep-half (cover-2) a number of times per game. He will be used closer to the L.O.S., used to cover TEs, and on blitzes, where he will certainly excel.

Who else would you have rather had? Beyond Pollard there wasn't a true SS on the market... they were all roaming FSs, which is a role that has been filled by McCourty already.