"2011 Patriots Defense"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

"2011 Patriots Defense"

Watching the 2011 draft, consensus had us thinking that Coach Belichick would address the Pass Rushing issues that has plauged this defense for the last 6 years since 2005. When the Patriots didn't address the issues, I took that as Coach Belichick being patientand and having confidence in the players he has on the defensive side of the ball. Now there still is Free Agency still to come and Coach Belichick may or may not go after try address the pass rush in Free Agency but we will have to see. 2011, its time for the young bucks on defense to grow up because they need to put pressure and get sacks on opposing offenses. The Defensive Backs are only as good as the pass rush that is in front of them. If this defense doesn't wake up and get it done when the 2011 season roles around, the questions of why Coach Belichick didn't address the pass rushing issues through the draft or free agency will be coming his way

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: "2011 Patriots Defense"

Have you considered that Belichick just isn't nearly as good at team building as he is at coaching? Didn't think so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

BB never does what the consensus believes he should do in the draft - so get over it!

If you look at most media pundits (well none here at the Globe as they no longer write aboutu football), they express the thought that the Patriots are improving their coverage to compensate for the lack of a pass rush.

Bodden and McCourty could be the solid starting duo missing from last year. Arrington, Dowling, Butler and Wilhite are interesting pieces for rotation as long as Bodden and McCourty do not get injured.

The other thougths are that BB (even he expressed this) trusts the development of young talent that he has in the front 7. There are no great FA's out there for DE or OLB and if BB doesn't make a trade then he has to coach up the young guys.

Also remember, that even if BB selected a few top DE/OLB in the first two rounds in this yrs draft - the rookies woudl miss out on rookie camp, OTA and not have the coaching required to contribute from day 1 and be behind th ecurve for the whole year (so almost like a redshirt year).

So should BB have drafted someone? Only time will tell. But I believe the front 7 will be better than last year - with the exception of TBC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i like BB's strategy, he is ahead of the game.  when most teams are switching to smaller faster OLB/DE's to get after the QB. he brings in mammoth OT's to knock them back, when most teams are switching to pass defenses primarily he brings in 2 RB's to pound the ball down their throats.  (Let's see revis try to stop ridley/vareen) He brings in another DB to give his OLB/DE's more time to get to the QB.  I think in FA we will get our pass rusher. hopefully lawson (not very likely if he is a RFA) and roth (very likely)  I think our D will be better than everyone expects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to "2011 Patriots Defense":
    Watching the 2011 draft, consensus had us thinking that Coach Belichick would address the Pass Rushing issues that has plauged this defense for the last 6 years since 2005. When the Patriots didn't address the issues, I took that as Coach Belichick being patientand and having confidence in the players he has on the defensive side of the ball. Now there still is Free Agency still to come and Coach Belichick may or may not go after try address the pass rush in Free Agency but we will have to see. 2011, its time for the young bucks on defense to grow up because they need to put pressure and get sacks on opposing offenses. The Defensive Backs are only as good as the pass rush that is in front of them. If this defense doesn't wake up and get it done when the 2011 season roles around, the questions of why Coach Belichick didn't address the pass rushing issues through the draft or free agency will be coming his way
    Posted by millergrnv

Must be frustrating for you being a Patriots fan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: "2011 Patriots Defense":
    Have you considered that Belichick just isn't nearly as good at team building as he is at coaching? Didn't think so.
    Posted by BabeParilli

so was the patriots team of the last decade which was widely considered a dynasty not built by bill b? 

wouldnt that kind of contradict what you just said??

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

To the original poster's argument that they haven't had a good pass rush since 2005--that is not exactly true. When Seymour finally got healthy and returned towards the end of the 2005 season they began getting very good pressure on the QB again. Remember the wild card round against Jacksonville that year, when McGinest was living in Byron Leftwich's kitchen all night long? The problems on defense that year were mostly injury-related...they were completely crippled for more than half the season on that side of the ball.

In 2006 the pass rush wasn't great, but they still had one of the better defenses in the league until they fell apart under the weight, again, of too many key injuries during the post-season.

In 2007, I believe they led the NFL in sacks, or at least finished in the Top 5. During the regular season they almost always got a good pass rush when they were trying to close out the few close games they played that year (at Dallas and at Indy come immediately to mind). That defense did fall apart in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, of course, but remember also that Rosie Colvin was out for the season at that point, and so that hurt the pass rush. Anyway, they certainly did get a rush on Eli during the game-winning drive--they just failed to tackle him, unfortunately, and then the flukiest catch in history followed.

Since 2007, I agree that the pass rush has left a lot to be desired.

As for the current roster: BB probably believes in his young talent on defense much more than the media some fans. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I liked what I saw of Cunningham last year. He was really coming on until he got dinged up in the Bears game, and then his performance dropped off. Mike Wright and Ty Warren should return this year as well, and while neither reminds anyone of Richard Dent in his prime, they should help the cause. I still expect BB to make some kind of deal for a veteran after the lockout is lifted, either via free agency or a trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Babe has an axe to grind with BB so just ignore his comments whenever this subject comes up cause other then this subject Babe is a good poster. It could be that BB JUST DRAFTED one year before this past draft Jermain Cunningham in round 2 which is one of if not the highest pass rusher he has ever drafted in NE. It could be that while we all sit her crying like little babies that we were made to look like fools cause he didnt draft the guy you thought he would he was sitting back and saying yea I have a stud that will develop into a very good OLB. Cunningham could come out and get us like 8 or 9 sacks this season and all you "pass rush pass rush pass rush" people will just look slow for not giving the kid he did draft time to get his feet wet.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Isn't that what's been happening almost every year since BB got here?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Cunningham will benefit from the return of Ty Warren.  Ty has the ability to push the pile back and keep Jermaine clean to break into the back field. And the return of Leigh Bodden strengthens the DBs. With Mike Wright's return, this entire group can be a force to deal with for the opponents.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

his statement was more to the effect that he isnt a good team builder... i couldnt disagree more....   even if you have the best team in the nfl...nothing is guaranteed.(2007).... for the past 10 years... there hasnt been anyone close...

some of the stuff he has done in the last three years in the draft and with fa's has been really underscored and most people arent happy with the choices because they are not media driven names.... but...and you saw a little of it last year ...new england is going to be on top of the nfl... then there will be a second grouping of good teams and then everyone else...

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It was the first 7 weeks of 2007 that he was PUP.  He had a bunch of injuries 2004-2007.  He played all of 2006 but later complained that he was hurt the whole time. He blamed it on Corey Dillon running into his knee when BB used him as a fullback. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In Response to Re: "2011 Patriots Defense" : Unless I am mistaken, didn't Seymour have the surgery after the 2006 January playoff loss to Denver? He didn't return until Week 7 in the 2006 season, I thought? He held out going into 2005 and then got his deal and then hurt his leg, leading to that surgery, where he never really was the same player. I think two have things have occurred since 2008 with regards to the pass rush: 1. Lack of coninuity in the secondary, making zone coverage a problem. Losing Samuel and then trying mulitple combos with weak CBs, really hurt the D in this area, in terms of coverage sacks they used to get when Law and Samuel/Poole/Gay/Hobbs were roaming. 2. Loss of veterans, allowing BB to feel comfortable scheming.  I think this is why we saw very vanilla defenses in 2008, 2009 and to some degree, 2010. 2010 was getting more intricate as the season went, but not anywhere as mixed up as BB would use it later in the 2001-2007 seasons where he knew he could use schemes to confuse QBs, etc.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Regarding Seymour, my memory might be hazy because 2005 was a long time ago, but I thought that was the year he injured his knee against SD at Foxboro (the Pats got absolutely creamed that day) while blocking on the FG unit, and then he missed several weeks. I thought he returned late that season but I could be wrong. The entire defense was a M*A*S*H unit for most of that year anyway.

He definitely was in and out of the lineup all during 2006, and I think he left the AFCCG at Indy early in the game and either never returned, or played sparingly after that.

I think the improved pass coverage with the return of Bodden and, hopefully, a meaningful contribution from Dowling this season, will help the entire defense, pass rush included. In 2006 they didn't really get after the QB very well either, but the secondary, led by Samuel's 10 INTs, was very good that year, and they still ended up with an excellent defensive passer rating and one of the NFL's best scoring defenses. They crapped out in the AFC title game at Indy, but by then they were about three or four key players short due to injuries, and then there was the flu bug to contend with that week as well (not to mention the shoddy officiating).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I happen to think they could have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. Last year they were great at times. But when given 10 seconds or more, even Sanchez can look like Joe Montana! Any time the opposing QB had to make a quick decision these guys were a top five squad. Most takeaways in the league. So the problem lies (IMO) in the front seven. Injuries on the line really hurt them, seeing Vince play to one side or the other was discouraging. That affected the rush. Hopefully Vince will be back at nose this season, and that helps the rush as he always ties up two guys, sometimes three! With a pass rush this defense could be like the 03-04 teams. I'll say it again, they need a playmaker like they had with Willie. He has never been replaced, and they could have two more rings had someone just made a play like Willie used to do...especially in the playoffs! Maybe BB sees Cunningham as that guy. Not really a blue-chip guy available to them this draft. Hey, they went 14-2 last year with more rookies starting than any other team in the league. I just hope they get a deal done so these guys can get into camp! I expect to see improvement this season, especially with Bodden back. Not just for his play, but as a veteran who can help the younger guys. I understand Babe has an issue with BB's personnel skills. But three Lombardis might have got us all a bit "high" on ourselves. In the last ten seasons BB has taken this team to the conference finals five times, and won four. In the same time span ten different NFC teams won their conference. They have more wins, more playoff wins, and more rings than any other team in that time. I personally do not see that as grounds for dumping the guy who built the team. True, he lost something when Pioli left. But he's rebuilt a team in a couple years that had lost some great players. Going 14-2 "ain't too bad"! I mean this is Bill, not Marty! And I'd really like to hear suggestions on who to get to do the GM responsibilities if Belichick were merely the coach. Maybe Babe has someone in mind?

Sections
Shortcuts