"bend but don't break" again!?! that was the difference this week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrislb. Show chrislb's posts

"bend but don't break" again!?! that was the difference this week

After a few weeks of letting these young DB's use their speed, aggressiveness and instincts, in other words play football, Pees/BB start with the 8 yard cushions and loose zone cr@p, and there ya go, Broncos mow down the field and get the bend and break.  Bend but dont break doesnt work with big receivers like Marshall, Burress, Edwards, etc b/c they phyically overmatch the defenders in the red zone.

Keep it simple and let them play, its all thats gonna work

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

Re: "bend but don't break" again!?! that was the difference this week

Pees has gotten off the hook for years, he was a lousy secondary coach and is a lousy DC. The defense was so bad agaainst the Giants in the superbowl, BB took over the defense. I dont get it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: "bend but don't break" again!?! that was the difference this week

I personally think the bend but don't break defense is a myth.  It doesn't describe any defensive scheme, but rather the traits of the players on defense.  It describes players who are able to buckle down and come up with a stop when required. There is no scheme that says we're going to let the opponent get into the red zone before we stop them.  

The fact that our defense has often "behaved" in a bend but don't break manner signifies to me that either the players, the scheme, or a combination of both don't get it done consistently.  This is the bend.  Some of our players will step up when their backs are against the wall.  When they do so this is the "but don't break" we see.  In our championship years, we had more of those players.  I'm still very optimistic about our D this year.  They weren't helped in Denver when the offense kept having 3 and outs in the 2nd half.  Considering how poor the offense played in the second half, we are fortunate the game was even close.

Sections
Shortcuts