"Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?

The rest of our schedule looks "easy".

Sun, Dec 4Indianapolis 1:00 PM
     Sun, Dec 11at Washington 1:00 PM
     Sun, Dec 18at Denver 4:15 PM
     Sat, Dec 24Miami 1:00 PM
     Sun, Jan 1Buffalo 1:00 PM

A combined record of 18-37 (obviously skewed by Indy). The Patriots should win the remainder of the games - possibly quite convincingly.

If the Patriots can get out of the slow-starting rut and get early leads, the Patriots should see "improvements" in pts. scored, improved running yards/game, fewer points scored against us, increased takeways vs. giveaways, increased sacks/QB pressures on opposing teams.

Like several people have said, if the secondary can continue to gel, if we can find a 3rd WR who can contribute, and if we can muster some confidence in our running game.....

it's kind of weird, but I'm hoping that the offense doesn't start hitting on all cylinders until playoffs begin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?

Not really, we already know how we measure up since we already played the best defenses early in the year. Now it's tune up time.

The defense will keep getting better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    Not really, we already know how we measure up since we already played the best defenses early in the year. Now it's tune up time. The defense will keep getting better.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Yes, and no.  How does beating weaker teams prepare us for more competitive teams?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Yes, and no.  How does beating weaker teams prepare us for more competitive teams?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

In the case of our offense, no.  They're up to the task of facing elite defenses and could use more challenges.  I look forward to seeing how they handle Denver in Denver (two elite pass rushers, a hard-hitting safety, a HOF-cornerback, on the road)

In the case of the defense, I'd rather have these new guys get experience together in lower pressure situations, although I remain skeptical about how they'll fare against the Roethlisbergers and Rodgerses of the world

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I remain skeptical about how they'll fare against the Roethlisbergers and Rodgerses of the world
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

not me, Rodgers isn't playing defense, and the packers have given up more points than the Patriots, to inferior offenses

As for Roethlisberger, the Pissburgh offense can't score enuogh points to beat our offense in a rematch. KC should've beat them last night if not for 4 turnovers by their QB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

You just CANT make this stuff up.  Well, apparently you can.  I see it more as an opportunity to work on things in the shelter of lower pressure games.  I don't think this team is going to think they are great, but they are playing together, playing solid ball, and now maybe they can work out some things and do some testing.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Hoyer on the field at the 5 plus minute mark.  Sad they didn't let him do more, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The ONLY false sense of security will be with the fans.  Are you implying the team may feel this way?  There is not a Pat player who will have any sort of false sense of security even going up against the winless Colts.  Wouldn't surprise me that the Colts cover the spread as the Pats simply try out new things all game.  Unlike the Saints, who poured it on, I do not think the Pats will do the same. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The ONLY false sense of security will be with the fans.  Are you implying the team may feel this way?  There is not a Pat player who will have any sort of false sense of security even going up against the winless Colts.  Wouldn't surprise me that the Colts cover the spread as the Pats simply try out new things all game.  Unlike the Saints, who poured it on, I do not think the Pats will do the same. 
    Posted by agcsbill

Not so much with the team, and moreso with the fans Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : In the case of our offense, no.  They're up to the task of facing elite defenses and could use more challenges.  I look forward to seeing how they handle Denver in Denver (two elite pass rushers, a hard-hitting safety, a HOF-cornerback, on the road) In the case of the defense, I'd rather have these new guys get experience together in lower pressure situations, although I remain skeptical about how they'll fare against the Roethlisbergers and Rodgerses of the world
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

If we were scheduled vs. Pittsburg the 2nd to last game...and beat them handily....it'd be a little different. The problem is that the remainder of the schedule is  pretty easy. Like you said tho, having a very young secondary learn and gel vs. lower competition should help. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Yes, and no.  How does beating weaker teams prepare us for more competitive teams?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

So, if I use your statement here, Bubba, Green Bay is in BIG trouble as they have been feasting on weak teams all season.  The Pats have had some tough games against some real good teams who played well against the Pats while the Packers have yet to face a team that brought it to them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Considering our history of the last couple of years in the playoffs, I have to admit my stomach is quite clenched up in regards to our D.  The intensity levels are going to rise, we will be playing teams with solid offenses and our D is going to be truly tested.  It will be a horrible time and fashion to only find out then that all it took as a solid offense and good game plan to take us apart. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : So, if I use your statement here, Bubba, Green Bay is in BIG trouble as they have been feasting on weak teams all season.  The Pats have had some tough games against some real good teams who played well against the Pats while the Packers have yet to face a team that brought it to them.
    Posted by agcsbill

LOL...I don't know if I should answer that or not...it sounds like you want me to take the bait and reel me in Laughing

GB is unbeaten so far - so, they might get a double whammie. The team certainly might be overconfident if they continue their streak vs. weak teams - and the fans might get a rude awakening if the Packers lose in the playoffs vs. a competitive team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Considering our history of the last couple of years in the playoffs, I have to admit my stomach is quite clenched up in regards to our D.  The intensity levels are going to rise, we will be playing teams with solid offenses and our D is going to be truly tested.  It will be a horrible time and fashion to only find out then that all it took as a solid offense and good game plan to take us apart. 
    Posted by agill1970

I'm still optimistic that our young secondary can improve the rest of this year. The question is whether it's going to be enough for us to survive in the playoffs.
    In addition, slow starts are not going to be helpful in the playoffs either. Whether that is due to a Brady injury or crappy play calling or lack of execution (or any combo)....I don't know.

I'm not saying the Patriots need a premier RB, but they sure won't win many playoff games without some yards running (or short pass plays w/ lots of YAC that are used to substitute for running plays)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I heard Buffalo beat that team from NE. That can get the competitive fires burning a week before the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's going to be a huge leap in the caliber of team they will face if they get the bye. Likely it's Pitt or Ravens. None of the remaining teams are close to their level. Playing those teams would worry me regardless in any year because they are flat out good teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

Miami has been playing better of late, giving the cowboys all they wanted in their house.  Buffalo in the last game might be just playing out the string, but both games are division games, so could be tough. 

Denver with the Tebow factor will be tough - their D is pretty stout and the thin air in Denver has not been kind to the Pats.  If the game is close, it could be a loss. 

Washington on the road might be a difficult game also - Shanny has had BB's number in the past with Denver.  Has Brady ever won a regular season game in Washington?  If not, hopefully this game takes care of that one.

I understand that past performance is not indicative of future results, but none of the games after this week with Indy is truly a cakewalk.  Look at the trouble the Chiefs gave Pitt, Ravens against Jax and the Hawks as examples of the "any given Sunday" theory.  Pats will have to play well to win out, play poorly and they can be beat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    The rest of our schedule looks "easy".   Sun, Dec 4 Indianapolis 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 11 at Washington 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 18 at Denver 4:15 PM   Sat, Dec 24 Miami 1:00 PM   Sun, Jan 1 Buffalo 1:00 PM A combined record of 18-37 (obviously skewed by Indy). The Patriots should win the remainder of the games - possibly quite convincingly. If the Patriots can get out of the slow-starting rut and get early leads, the Patriots should see "improvements" in pts. scored, improved running yards/game, fewer points scored against us, increased takeways vs. giveaways, increased sacks/QB pressures on opposing teams. Like several people have said, if the secondary can continue to gel, if we can find a 3rd WR who can contribute, and if we can muster some confidence in our running game..... it's kind of weird, but I'm hoping that the offense doesn't start hitting on all cylinders until playoffs begin.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

The only probelm is this...the PAts can put up 30 points on anybody as long as they don't get impatient and one dimensional but in the past have given up a diverse offense and gone all pass when behind.(not talking about 4th Q comebacks either)

The Philly game showed me that they have enough confidence and resolve (now)  when behind to use screens and the run to open it up.

I am not advocating run,run,run..it only takes one balanced drive to open up the pass. Every team in the NFL will rather die by the pass than the run or by the diverse offense. Why.? The diverse offense or run offense controls the ball for long periods of time and is more safe bet against turnovers (especially with BJGE). After the first TD drive which was a very balanced drive Philly backed off a bit and played a slightly more honest run / pass D thus opening up the pass big time.

There are really good defenses left on the Schedule...the offense will get tested. The defense will get tested for sure. The one thing that might not be tested is if the PAts offense stays the course even in a tight game or playing from behind. But I am not too concerned, the Philly game helped answer that question.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : LOL...I don't know if I should answer that or not...it sounds like you want me to take the bait and reel me in GB is unbeaten so far - so, they might get a double whammie. The team certainly might be overconfident if they continue their streak vs. weak teams - and the fans might get a rude awakening if the Packers lose in the playoffs vs. a competitive team.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Not baiting you, but, taking your statement in stride that a weak balance of the season may not be the best for the Pats heading into the playoffs and understand your point.  The Packers, on the other hand, have yet to be stressed, have an off game in which they fought tooth and nail to win.  It has come too easy for them.  Did you see their faces in the Detroit game?  It is almost like they may be thinking:  " All we have to do is show up and the other team will not play well against us, they'll wither in our presence.".  Could there be arrogance creeping into GB's mindset?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Posted by BubbaInHawaii

The same way practicing does?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : not me, Rodgers isn't playing defense, and the packers have given up more points than the Patriots, to inferior offenses As for Roethlisberger, the Pissburgh offense can't score enuogh points to beat our offense in a rematch. KC should've beat them last night if not for 4 turnovers by their QB.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

I think we've had this conversation before over Matt Flynn in the Pats' narrow victory over the Packers' backup QB last year.  I think we agreed to disagree on a lot of things.

point I don't think I hit last year: Aaron Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the league.  The Packers have one of the deepest receiver corps in the league.  I'm not confident right now that the Patriots can rush the passer in under 3 seconds AND cover all four or five options (TE Finley along with Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and Donald Driver).  The Patriots' only saving grace is that the Packers can't run the ball so they could focus on pass techniques.  I don't see it right now.  Hopefully they keep getting experience.  Guys like Molden who get time now could be helpful as #3/#4 corners/safeties once McCourty and Chung are healthy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Not baiting you, but, taking your statement in stride that a weak balance of the season may not be the best for the Pats heading into the playoffs and understand your point.  The Packers, on the other hand, have yet to be stressed, have an off game in which they fought tooth and nail to win.  It has come too easy for them.  Did you see their faces in the Detroit game?  It is almost like they may be thinking:  " All we have to do is show up and the other team will not play well against us, they'll wither in our presence.".  Could there be arrogance creeping into GB's mindset?
    Posted by agcsbill

I hope so. overconfidence is bad for any team.

If we had one more game where a team was going to challenge the Patriots on both sides of the ball...and we won it convincingly...I would feel better as a fan...lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

With the exception of the Colts, I think it's flat out silly to be over confident in any of the remaining games like they're all gimmes. I agree that we (SHOULD) win out....but we could easily drop one to a team that simply plays a great game against us.

Although the defense has been suspect all year due to the yardage, they are doing pretty darned well for keeping points off the board which is all that matters in my book.

I think our offense needs to stop getting stuffed by good defenses when it counts. (Jets & Ravens playoffs)...and the Giants in the superbowl. If our offense scored like they (should)...we win every one of those games. Let's hope Obrien has learned his lesson....this where where my doubts are!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    The rest of our schedule looks "easy".   Sun, Dec 4 Indianapolis 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 11 at Washington 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 18 at Denver 4:15 PM   Sat, Dec 24 Miami 1:00 PM   Sun, Jan 1 Buffalo 1:00 PM A combined record of 18-37 (obviously skewed by Indy). The Patriots should win the remainder of the games - possibly quite convincingly. If the Patriots can get out of the slow-starting rut and get early leads, the Patriots should see "improvements" in pts. scored, improved running yards/game, fewer points scored against us, increased takeways vs. giveaways, increased sacks/QB pressures on opposing teams. Like several people have said, if the secondary can continue to gel, if we can find a 3rd WR who can contribute, and if we can muster some confidence in our running game..... it's kind of weird, but I'm hoping that the offense doesn't start hitting on all cylinders until playoffs begin.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Possibly ... but keep in mind ... Miami and Denver are two of the best defenses in the league, and neither team is the pushover their current record suggests.

I think the appropriate way to describe that schedule would be that there are only bad offenses remaining on the schedule. 

But, NE has played the softest offensive schedule I can recall. All of their toughest matchups have defensive teams. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Bubba I was thinking along the same lines. Easy schedule rest of way, then a week off, then facing a team like B-More or Pitt playing at high level. Kinda makes me worry?In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Possibly ... but keep in mind ... Miami and Denver are two of the best defenses in the league, and neither team is the pushover their current record suggests. I think the appropriate way to describe that schedule would be that there are only bad offenses remaining on the schedule.  But, NE has played the softest offensive schedule I can recall. All of their toughest matchups have defensive teams. 
    Posted by zbellino

and Washington also has a great defense... and two really bad QBs

my fantasy team would prefer shootouts, but i'll take games where the defense can build confidence and gain experience in any way possible

Sections
Shortcuts