"Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    [QUOTE]You just CANT make this stuff up.  Well, apparently you can.  I see it more as an opportunity to work on things in the shelter of lower pressure games.  I don't think this team is going to think they are great, but they are playing together, playing solid ball, and now maybe they can work out some things and do some testing.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Hoyer on the field at the 5 plus minute mark.  Sad they didn't let him do more, though.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Agreed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    [QUOTE]The rest of our schedule looks "easy".   Sun, Dec 4 Indianapolis 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 11 at Washington 1:00 PM   Sun, Dec 18 at Denver 4:15 PM   Sat, Dec 24 Miami 1:00 PM   Sun, Jan 1 Buffalo 1:00 PM A combined record of 18-37 (obviously skewed by Indy). The Patriots should win the remainder of the games - possibly quite convincingly. If the Patriots can get out of the slow-starting rut and get early leads, the Patriots should see "improvements" in pts. scored, improved running yards/game, fewer points scored against us, increased takeways vs. giveaways, increased sacks/QB pressures on opposing teams. Like several people have said, if the secondary can continue to gel, if we can find a 3rd WR who can contribute, and if we can muster some confidence in our running game..... it's kind of weird, but I'm hoping that the offense doesn't start hitting on all cylinders until playoffs begin.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

The Pats must win out. Winning in Denver will be tough. It always has been in the past.

The Ravens and Steelers are the Pats' main competition in the AFC. Lets' hope that the Pats can win out, while those teams drop at least one game.  That would give the Pats home field advantage throughout the play-offs.

Currently, both the Ravens and Steelers hold the edge in tie-breakers. Having to beat both the Steelers and Ravens in the play-offs would be a tall order...especially if the Pats have to play the Ravens in Baltimore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security?:
    [QUOTE]I heard Buffalo beat that team from NE. That can get the competitive fires burning a week before the playoffs.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Last regular season game.  I guess it will all depend on how the playoff seeding is at that time.  Maybe Brady plays only a quarter and scrubs the rest of the way.  I'm sure the Patriots want payback Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]With the exception of the Colts, I think it's flat out silly to be over confident in any of the remaining games like they're all gimmes. I agree that we (SHOULD) win out....but we could easily drop one to a team that simply plays a great game against us. Although the defense has been suspect all year due to the yardage, they are doing pretty darned well for keeping points off the board which is all that matters in my book. I think our offense needs to stop getting stuffed by good defenses when it counts. (Jets & Ravens playoffs)...and the Giants in the superbowl. If our offense scored like they (should)...we win every one of those games. Let's hope Obrien has learned his lesson....this where where my doubts are!!
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

True. O'Brien is an x-factor.  I think there's still a lot of debate as to who's making the offensive calls and gameplan - BB, O'Brien, Brady?

The playcalling baffles me at times...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Possibly ... but keep in mind ... Miami and Denver are two of the best defenses in the league, and neither team is the pushover their current record suggests. I think the appropriate way to describe that schedule would be that there are only bad offenses remaining on the schedule.  But, NE has played the softest offensive schedule I can recall. All of their toughest matchups have defensive teams. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Denver is away, miami at home - so, Denver will likely be the tougher of the two. Maybe we'll get some snow for the miami game Laughing

You've got a great point tho...if good defensive teams can keep the game close, they have a better chance of beating the Patriots. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : The only probelm is this...the PAts can put up 30 points on anybody as long as they don't get impatient and one dimensional but in the past have given up a diverse offense and gone all pass when behind.(not talking about 4th Q comebacks either) The Philly game showed me that they have enough confidence and resolve (now)  when behind to use screens and the run to open it up. I am not advocating run,run,run..it only takes one balanced drive to open up the pass. Every team in the NFL will rather die by the pass than the run or by the diverse offense. Why.? The diverse offense or run offense controls the ball for long periods of time and is more safe bet against turnovers (especially with BJGE). After the first TD drive which was a very balanced drive Philly backed off a bit and played a slightly more honest run / pass D thus opening up the pass big time. There are really good defenses left on the Schedule...the offense will get tested. The defense will get tested for sure. The one thing that might not be tested is if the PAts offense stays the course even in a tight game or playing from behind. But I am not too concerned, the Philly game helped answer that question.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]

I dunno, it certainly makes the game a lot different when the Patriots play with a bigger lead. So, if the Patriots can score early against these defensive teams.....it may result in scores similar to the philly game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

4 of the 5 games will be tougher than you think. On any given Sunday a team can play well. You really think Denver is an easy win? Havent you been watching them, especially their defense? Easy schedule is a fabrication of the media. How come we don't hear about the easy schedule of Green Bay or New Orleans? For the same reason we only hear about the weak defense of the Pats, but not the Packers or even the Saints. The media.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Also, we hear about Dallas' win streak. If not for missed field goals by inept kickers they would have lost at least two of those games. Yet all we hear is how good Dallas is now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If we pass our way to victory over the final part of our schedule then we will get wiped out in the playoffs. 
    If we stay balanced and healthy throughout then we could only lose to the Packers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Actually I'm kind of hoping for snow in Denver.  Does anyone remember TB ripping apart Da Bears in a blizzard last year?  The Pats are Great in the snow, and it would slow down the Broncos running game causing Tebow to throw more and we know how that would go. 

I'm not concerned with the Skins or Dolts.  The Phins are improving and winning with their new QB and there d looks good that could be a tough game unless it's cold and windy.

The Bills don't scary me the Pats put 31 points on then and without the 4 Ints it would have been a blow out.  Brady is protecting the ball more since that day and they are getting their wideouts into the game more.

As for the Playoffs let wait until the seeding is in before we start worrying about playoff teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]4 of the 5 games will be tougher than you think. On any given Sunday a team can play well. You really think Denver is an easy win? Havent you been watching them, especially their defense? Easy schedule is a fabrication of the media. How come we don't hear about the easy schedule of Green Bay or New Orleans? For the same reason we only hear about the weak defense of the Pats, but not the Packers or even the Saints. The media.
    Posted by boomerst3[/QUOTE]

Yes, we all understand that on any given day, anyone can beat someone else.
    However, there's really no reason why the Patriots shouldn't win the rest of their games. Denver will be tougher than Miami; since that's an away game and they'll be playing in a higher altitude. I think our run D is good enough to  force Tebow into mistakes. I doubt Tebow is going to do a spread offense for the majority of their possessions.

If the Patriots score early, they will beat Denver pretty easily. If they get another slow start...then, yeah, Denver has a chance to beat us like any other team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]If we pass our way to victory over the final part of our schedule then we will get wiped out in the playoffs.  If we stay balanced and healthy throughout then we could only lose to the Packers.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Do you think BB has something up his sleeve for the running game?  It will be interesting to see how much work Vareen and Ridley get if we get some early leads and can afford to get them some experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Actually I'm kind of hoping for snow in Denver.  Does anyone remember TB ripping apart Da Bears in a blizzard last year?  The Pats are Great in the snow, and it would slow down the Broncos running game causing Tebow to throw more and we know how that would go.  I'm not concerned with the Skins or Dolts.  The Phins are improving and winning with their new QB and there d looks good that could be a tough game unless it's cold and windy. The Bills don't scary me the Pats put 31 points on then and without the 4 Ints it would have been a blow out.  Brady is protecting the ball more since that day and they are getting their wideouts into the game more. As for the Playoffs let wait until the seeding is in before we start worrying about playoff teams.
    Posted by Tomhab[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think I'd want it to snow in Denver for the Patriots' game. They will already have an advantage being an away game for us and the altitude problem. Since we're so heavy in the passing game - that would play into the Broncos hands because they are a run first team - the Patriots are not.

A running laden game (if both teams are successful in moving the chains) will also reduce the number of possessions by both teams. So, closer games seem to be the bronco's forte, not the Patriots'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : Do you think BB has something up his sleeve for the running game?  It will be interesting to see how much work Vareen and Ridley get if we get some early leads and can afford to get them some experience.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I think BB coaches the defense... we're left to Bill O'Brien and Tom Brady on gameday offensively. Ask any QB to choose his plays and they will throw 70% of the time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? : I think BB coaches the defense... we're left to Bill O'Brien and Tom Brady on gameday offensively. Ask any QB to choose his plays and they will throw 70% of the time.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There has been some discussion in the past as to who actually calls the plays and how much influence Brady has on the offensive game plan.  I dunno if anyone ever figured the answer out....lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Dominating Wins" For Rest of Season = False Sense of Security? :      The Pats must win out. Winning in Denver will be tough. It always has been in the past.      The Ravens and Steelers are the Pats' main competition in the AFC. Lets' hope that the Pats can win out, while those teams drop at least one game.  That would give the Pats home field advantage throughout the play-offs.      Currently, both the Ravens and Steelers hold the edge in tie-breakers. Having to beat both the Steelers and Ravens in the play-offs would be a tall order...especially if the Pats have to play the Ravens in Baltimore.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

i am not sure i want them to get a playoff bye. for me it's sb or bust. and by what happened after the last two byes, it's really nothing to be comfortable about.

on the other hand, if they beat both ravens and steelers, i would have no fear of anyone in the sb.

things i'd like to see from here on, even if it means losing one or two games....

on offense:
    1) stay healthy
    2) fully integrate cannon. we know what waters can do. they should find out if they can do more with cannon's bigger frame, both on the ground game and pass.
    3) with cannon in, i'd like to see them develop an irresistible/dominant power ground game. i want to see DLs ushed back and RBs conistently getting to the second level.
    4) 1-3 passes />25 yards per game

on defense:
    1) get everyone back healty and playing
    2) 2010 dmc
    3) variety in getting pass pressure. the two 43 DEs are great, but if that's the only presure card that nwe has, other teams will figure out how to neutralize them.
    4) this am not sure i want: edelman getting a lot of reps playing mtm
    5) this totally crazy and unconventional but may work: secondary suddenly moving/shifting the seams of their zones just as the qb's arm moves forward (consistent with theme of being less predictable)