"God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MonsterFan. Show MonsterFan's posts

"God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk

After Tebow's "victory over the Steelers" press conference yesterday he addressed  everyone by saying "God Bless" and exited the podium.  What is it about this particular religion where people like Tebow assume everyone is of the same belief system?  I am Agnostic which simply means I do not claim to know or understand whether or not God (or other gods and deities) exists. I have never seen a deity and have never met anyone who has either. I feel that if I was a professional athlete and addressed the media with an Agnostic type of salutation at the end of a press conference I would be talked about as a someone who should be institutionalized.  Yet, in our society, its taboo for me to talk this way.  Here in this discussion group, under the protection of anonymity, I am able to voice my opinion but if I was to talk this way at the "water cooler", I'd be harangued by my fellow employees.  I guess what I'm trying to say is "Why am I the crazy one?" and...."What is inherent in Tim Tebow's religion that makes him have to share it with the rest of the world?".  If you enjoy a particular religion.....MAZEL TOV!  Just enjoy it! Why is there a need to spread it around?  Let's try not to bash religion here....I just want to know why Tim feels the need to spread the gospel.  I already can tell you there may be alot of posters who are going to complain that I'm bashing religion....I'm not!  I know of many positive effects that it has psychologically.  Heck, Tebow is a great example of someone who succeeds because he believes he cannot fail with "The Lord" by his side.  Let's try to have a discussion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: "God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk

Well one thing is because saying "God Bless" is akin to wishing well in a way. He's basically just hoping for good things to happen to you. Not sure how people are offended by that unless they are looking for something to be mad at to begin with. If it's not your religion or you don't believe in God then instead of looking for meaning as to why he said it maybe you should just take it as a kind person wishing you well and nothing more. I don't find saying "God Bless" as being preachy at all and don't see how someone wishing you good welfare and prosperity as something bad. Actually if someone for a different religion did the same thing using their religious context I'd just smile and say thank you and repeat it back to them as a king gesture of good will.

Now, Tebow has push the religious envelop to the point where I do believing he's pushing his religious views on others with his holy'r then thou approach which has annoyed me to no end at times but analyzing a gesture of good will no matter the choice of words is going to far in the other direction. Just take it for what it is, a wish for well being, and stop thinking just because it isn't something you believe in then other people shouldn't enjoy their freedom to express themselves in their way. Yes, it's annoying from time to time but life's to short, why get angry over something so little to begin with? To each there own and let others think what they will. If you don't believe what they do don't waste your time getting angry just smile and move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MonsterFan. Show MonsterFan's posts

That's Just the thing....I'm not angry.  Ha Ha...I read my post like four times before creating it.  Not sure where you get the anger thing.  Just wondering about it.  Your explanation was pretty good actually.  Its just like another language that I don't understand.  If someone speaks to me in that language...the fact is I'll try to understand but probably won't.  I know, I know, Tebow's a great guys....everyone knows that!  I feel most people are tolerant in this country which is dominated by various religious views.  Of course he's free to express his religion....but what's the inherent factor in preaching it to everyone?  If he enjoys his religions isn't that good enough?  I he wants to say something nice that includes all the people - why not just say "Have a great evening everyone"?  Isn't Tebow and those like him the ones who are not tolerant because they are assuming we are all of the same belief system?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

My apologises. Usually when a post like this is started it's because they are angry he said it to begin with. Combine that with you having to explain why it's taboo makes it sound like you have an issue with it, which comes across as anger on the net sometimes.

BTW him not saying "Have a great evening everyone" could come from where he grew up. For instance when someone sneezes do you say "god bless" or "gozu.Ihavenochanceonspellingit"? Do you say soda or tonic? Is it a bubbler or water fountain? Where you grow up and the culture forms habits. He came from a religious upbringing where I'm sure people around him said "God bless" all the time so to him that's just part of his language. As you said even though we speak the same language depending on backgrounds and location we really don't. You can ask why they just don't stop but that's like asking people from New England to stop calling them jimmies and stat calling them chocolate sprinkles. To me it's the same meaning and I don't look at it any differently but I can see how it can be offensive to black americans not from the area. Actually one of my friends who isn't from the area was offended every time he heard it until he realized there was no ill meaning behind it and it's so engrained with us that it's just second nature to say it. Now I've even caught him saying it from time to time and he doesn't even think about the meaning (other then chocolate sprinkles) anymore because it's just part of our language

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to "God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk:
    [QUOTE]After Tebow's "victory over the Steelers" press conference yesterday he addressed  everyone by saying "God Bless" and exited the podium.  What is it about this particular religion where people like Tebow assume everyone is of the same belief system?  I am Agnostic which simply means I do not claim to know or understand whether or not God (or other gods and deities) exists. I have never seen a deity and have never met anyone who has either. I feel that if I was a professional athlete and addressed the media with an Agnostic type of salutation at the end of a press conference I would be talked about as a someone who should be institutionalized.  Yet, in our society, its taboo for me to talk this way.  Here in this discussion group, under the protection of anonymity, I am able to voice my opinion but if I was to talk this way at the "water cooler", I'd be harangued by my fellow employees.  I guess what I'm trying to say is "Why am I the crazy one?" and...."What is inherent in Tim Tebow's religion that makes him have to share it with the rest of the world?".  If you enjoy a particular religion.....MAZEL TOV!  Just enjoy it! Why is there a need to spread it around?  Let's try not to bash religion here....I just want to know why Tim feels the need to spread the gospel.  I already can tell you there may be alot of posters who are going to complain that I'm bashing religion....I'm not!  I know of many positive effects that it has psychologically.  Heck, Tebow is a great example of someone who succeeds because he believes he cannot fail with "The Lord" by his side.  Let's try to have a discussion. Posted by MonsterFan[/QUOTE]

I understand that you feel something when you hear Tebow speak as he does. in reading your post I'm not sure what that feeling is though. What comprises agnosticism?
    On the other hand I can't speak for what Tebow thinks when he addresses the press in a public forum.
    As for the heart of the faith? I can speak about my experience and share what I have experienced as a follower of Christ. Perhaps Tebow feels so compelled too in sharing the Gospel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Tebow says "God bless" instead of "Have a great evening everyone" because he believes that God can make someone's evening/day/life good. It's hard to understand why Tebow says "God bless" if you do not believe in God. PatsEng also has a good point that Tebow grew up hearing "God bless" so it's became a habit. Why Tebow is sharing his beliefs with other people? Because he feels great and he wants other people to feel great. It's your choice whether to believe it or not and Tebow is not forcing people to share his views so I am OK with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Christianity much like every other religion feels you will go to heck if you are not saved. For people like yourself and most others who know about Christianity but choose not to accept that's just fine. Some groups will try to recruit you but generally speaking the vast majority of Christians figure it's your choice, your eternity, you have been informed. However for people who've never heard of Jesus or Christianity like the American Indians (long ago), or foreigners would also go go to heck despite not having an opportunity to even hear of Jesus. This seems unfair to many Christians. You may not care, but pretend you did and it were true, than it would be harsh to be darned without having opportunity to be saved. Tebow, and in particular his specific group of Christians (who are not really mainstream) believe it is their responsibility to give everyone the opportunity to be saved by teaching them about Jesus. It permeates everything they do, the go on missions in foreign countries, they preach the influence Jesus had on them to attract people to save. Most of what they do is charitable even if there are ulterior motives. They give out medicine, food, and preach. I wouldn't worry about it too much. He gets plenty of criticism, I'm not convinced there would be less if he were any other religion or none at all. Price of freedom of speech, sometimes people say things that you don't want to hear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I get both sides of the discussion. But it has become a bit annoying to hear all these athletes thanking the lord jesus savor for everything that happened in the games. What ever happened to just thanking your Mom for everything. Mom has been replaced by the lord I guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Speaking for myself (and, for the record, that is the only one I would ever presume to speak for) one's personal beliefs are precisely that - personal.  Whether or not I'm a Christian or believe in a higher power (God, Allah, Yahweh or however one chooses to refer to that entity) is my business and mine alone.  As to how the foregoing relates to Tim Tebow, if Tim Tebow's personal beliefs entail espousing his devotion to Jesus Christ at every opportunity than more power to him.  It does become a bit tedious when it's the first thing out of his mouth on seemingly every occasion, however.  That said, I understand and respect the posts that have preceded mine on this thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: "God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk:
    [QUOTE]Speaking for myself (and, for the record, that is the only one I would ever presume to speak for) one's personal beliefs are precisely that - personal.  Whether or not I'm a Christian or believe in a higher power (God, Allah, Yahweh or however one chooses to refer to that entity) is my business and mine alone.  As to how the foregoing relates to Tim Tebow, if Tim Tebow's personal beliefs entail espousing his devotion to Jesus Christ at every opportunity than more power to him.  It does become a bit tedious when it's the first thing out of his mouth on seemingly every occasion, however.  That said, I understand and respect the posts that have preceded mine on this thread. Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Why is it that you say belief in a higher power is "...my business and mine alone?"

It almost sounds like you take offense to being asked to be a witness to the belief system you adhere to. 
    Beyond that it seems that you are offended for being asked to justify the basis for your view of these matters.

You see, I believe that you believe what you believe but I need to know why so that I might question my views in the light of full revelation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I am not a very religious, but I have no problem with people expressing their religous appreciation in sports, it known as FREDDOM of speech, and it is what real PATRIOTS fought for hundreds of years ago and what they protect today.

God Bless America, Football and the NE Patriots.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Overlooking Sports Authority at Mile High yesterday

Mile High Halo
    1 of 4

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It is the nature of the "religious" beast and how believers feel about life and everything in general.  No different that a cheerful person saying "Good Morning" to you when you are feeling grumpy versus their saying "God Bless You" as you part ways.  Don't let it bother you and take it as part of daily life.  Nothing says you have to react to them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: "God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk:
    [QUOTE]Overlooking Sports Authority at Mile High yesterday Mile High Halo 1  of 4
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

If he said, "Allahu akbar, everyone," they would crucify him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonHa. Show DonHa's posts

Why don't you people just let it go, every time I come to this "football forum" all I read is someone bitching about some thing that has no effect on any of the PATS games. GET OVER IT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to "God Bless" or "Religion in Sports" or Taboo Tebow Talk:
    [QUOTE]After Tebow's "victory over the Steelers" press conference yesterday he addressed  everyone by saying "God Bless" and exited the podium.  What is it about this particular religion where people like Tebow assume everyone is of the same belief system?  I am Agnostic which simply means I do not claim to know or understand whether or not God (or other gods and deities) exists. I have never seen a deity and have never met anyone who has either. I feel that if I was a professional athlete and addressed the media with an Agnostic type of salutation at the end of a press conference I would be talked about as a someone who should be institutionalized.  Yet, in our society, its taboo for me to talk this way.  Here in this discussion group, under the protection of anonymity, I am able to voice my opinion but if I was to talk this way at the "water cooler", I'd be harangued by my fellow employees.  I guess what I'm trying to say is "Why am I the crazy one?" and...."What is inherent in Tim Tebow's religion that makes him have to share it with the rest of the world?".  If you enjoy a particular religion.....MAZEL TOV!  Just enjoy it! Why is there a need to spread it around?  Let's try not to bash religion here....I just want to know why Tim feels the need to spread the gospel.  I already can tell you there may be alot of posters who are going to complain that I'm bashing religion....I'm not!  I know of many positive effects that it has psychologically.  Heck, Tebow is a great example of someone who succeeds because he believes he cannot fail with "The Lord" by his side.  Let's try to have a discussion.
    Posted by MonsterFan[/QUOTE]

Hey, saying God Bless is about how HE feels about God.  It doesn't involve your feelings.  I don't mind it, and if I did, it would be tough luck.  I don't expect him to change what he feels.  I resent the implication that god will somehow favor his team because he is on it, and the attendant frenzy the media stirs up.  I believe he understands he can fail with the Lord at his side.  I think he understands that if he does fail, it's o.k., because he has more important things ahead of him.  

Sections
Shortcuts