"LOL"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Haskinshall. Show Haskinshall's posts

"LOL"?

Sorry guys, but I'm not a native english speaker. I have studied in boston for 3 years from 1994 to 1197. During that time, nobody ever explained to me the phrase "LOL".
    I'm following the Patriots for 16 years (which wasn't easy at all here in Europe) and this thread for about 3 years now. I have to read this "word" on a daily basis, not beeing able to figure out what this abbreviation actually means. Would please anybody be so kind to explain to a desperate German pat fan what this terminology is all about?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: "LOL"?

It has no real meaning, just filler.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lol

As quoted:
    " It's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations. Now, it is overused to the point where nobody laughs out loud when they say it. In fact, they probably don't even give a sh!t about what you just wrote. More accurately, the acronym "lol" should be redefined as "Lack of laughter." Depending on the chatter, its definition may vary. The list of its meanings includes, but is not limited to: 1) "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation." 2) "I'm too lazy to read what you just wrote so I'm typing something useless in hopes that you'll think I'm still paying attention." 3) "Your statement lacks even the vaguest trace of humor but I'll pretend I'm amused." 4) "This is a pointless acronym I'm sticking in my sentence just because it's become so engraved into my mind that when chatting, I MUST use the meaningless sentence-filler 'lol.' "

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Could this not have been googled?

Do you want me to give you a history lesson as well?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

LOL is an acronymn meaning Ldon't you dare Osodomize La gardener

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to "LOL"?:
    [QUOTE]Sorry guys, but I'm not a native english speaker. I have studied in boston for 3 years from 1994 to 1197. During that time, nobody ever explained to me the phrase "LOL". I'm following the Patriots for 16 years (which wasn't easy at all here in Europe) and this thread for about 3 years now. I have to read this "word" on a daily basis, not beeing able to figure out what this abbreviation actually means. Would please anybody be so kind to explain to a desperate German pat fan what this terminology is all about?
    Posted by Haskinshall[/QUOTE]

It stands for "laugh out loud"--used to indicate when someone thinks something they said or someone else said is funny.  Sometimes used to indicate sarcasm.  Not sure "LOL" was in common use back in the 1990s. This is one of those abbreviations that became common only with the spread of the internet and cell phone texting. 

Gehen Pats!  (If that's correct . . . Ich spreche Deutsch sehr schlecht.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I use LOL a lot I use LMCLAO a lot too  Why not. Do I really want to spend my time writing "That was so funny I'm just laughing like crazy " or " that was so funny I am just Laughing my cute little a** off" 

Just goes to show there are snobs  everywhere Kyle!  (is it ok if I use a exclamation mark ???????!!!!!!!!!)

BTW (by the way) anythings better than HAH HAH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: "LOL"?:
    [QUOTE]I use LOL a lot I use LMCLAO a lot too  Why not. Do I really want to spend my time writing "That was so funny I'm just laughing like crazy " or " that was so funny I am just Laughing my cute little a** off"  Just goes to show there are snobs  everywhere Kyle!  (is it ok if I use a exclamation mark ???????!!!!!!!!!) BTW (by the way) anythings better than HAH HAH.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

negame ...cant see it but i can image it   your cla   that is...  lol

i always used the term as "laugh out loud"....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Could this not have been googled? Do you want me to give you a history lesson as well?
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Don't be a donkey . . . the guy's from another country and just wanted to be sure LOL wasn't some kind of obscure football term he should know.  That said, www.google.de (German google) does lead to a German language wikipedia article that explains such Anglische "Netzjargon" . . http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_Abk%C3%BCrzungen_(Netzjargon). There you can learn highly useful phrases that will avoid the English-language censors such as:

"Lache mir meinen verdammten Arsch ab"

or just plain old:

"Fick dich"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

lol actually predates common internet use, it was a chat room term on AOL back in 1990.  Maybe before on bulletin boards commonly used in the late 80s early 90s.  Lots of chat shortcuts were developed on AOL when they, and dinosaurs, ruled the earth.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

LOL = loves overweight lesbians

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

You can use it after the Jets/Pats final score is in...

like Pats 31 Jets 13...LOL...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOLLaughing

you're kidding right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I use LMCLAO a lot too  Why not. Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

quit teasing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Lol and I was raised in Brussels for the first five years of my life and im not asking what a football is.

Seriously its google

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Haskinshall. Show Haskinshall's posts

Pancakespwn, you are an AH!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

LOL we know what AH means!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I use LOL a lot I use LMCLAO a lot too  Why not. Do I really want to spend my time writing "That was so funny I'm just laughing like crazy " or " that was so funny I am just Laughing my cute little a** off"  Just goes to show there are snobs  everywhere Kyle!  (is it ok if I use a exclamation mark ???????!!!!!!!!!) BTW (by the way) anythings better than HAH HAH.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Well, considering you actually read through the entire definition, I would say you aren't lazy or lacking in attention to detail.

Me? I stopped reading after it yawned in my face.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

hehe

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I did see it used, once or twice, to denote the (L)eft (O)utside (L)inebacker as opposed to the (R)ight (O)utside (L)inebacker in a discussion a couple of times.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

gfy bff

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]gfy bff
    Posted by patsfaninpa420[/QUOTE]
    I get that. Funny. LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Ah the Fair GAMER!

Whatever she says it is......it is!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Pancakespwn, you are an AH!
    Posted by Haskinshall[/QUOTE]

you could have used this one too: DA (dumb asss)

Sections
Shortcuts