"Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

"Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!

These are comments I read this morning. They have no basis in fact and are amateurish opinions. 
    • Mendenhall gained 928 yards this season. Averaged over 4 yards per carry. For his career he is averaging over 4 yards per carry. 
    • Coughlin has been a success at BC, Jacksonville, and NY. He has a well deserved SB ring. 
    • O'Brien is the OC for a team that has gone 27-5 in the past two regular season games. Minds greater than ours are considering him for HC positions. 
    Why do posters make such stupid, non-fact based, comments? If you are doing this you lose credibility. 

There are going to be a lot of posts about a lot of players, coaches, and teams in this run to the SB. I hope the posters actually think about what they are writing and include caveats such as "IMO", or "Fiction Alert" when they start opining without any facts behind their statements. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!

It's absurd, Gandalf.  I keep reading posts like this (along with all the crazy media and/or Goodell conspiracy theory stuff) and wonder if people ever get out of their basements.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!

The game thread should be reviewed and see how many and who gave up in the 1st qtr yesterday. I bet it was a bunch. Tom Coughlin beat us in the biggeest of games. Too much gloom and doom. Like a herd of ex wives when you take away the check book for the final time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I disagree with your 3rd point.  Tom Brady is 27 - 5 over the last 2 years.  O'Brien hasn't played a signal down, thrown a pass, escape a rush or had to read a defense these last 2 years.  I'll say right now that as long as Tom Brady is the QB, the next guy will have similar, if not better, success over the next two years.

Simply put if O'Brien was the OC of Indy they would still be 2 - 14.  If Tom Brady was their QB they would be the #1 seed in the AFC.  Simple as that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!:
    [QUOTE]I disagree with your 3rd point.  Tom Brady is 27 - 5 over the last 2 years.  O'Brien hasn't played a signal down, thrown a pass, escape a rush or had to read a defense these last 2 years.  I'll say right now that as long as Tom Brady is the QB, the next guy will have similar, if not better, success over the next two years. Simply put if O'Brien was the OC of Indy they would still be 2 - 14.  If Tom Brady was their QB they would be the #1 seed in the AFC.  Simple as that.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making my point. O'Brien has been the OC for the past two regular seasons and we have gone 27-5. I don't care if O'Brien never attended a game or practice, he was the OC during this run. Your ignorance of this fact lends us to believe it's more important for you to spew than to be right. IMO it kind of reminds me of your avatar!

Now if you want to criticize O'Brien.... go right ahead, but do it with facts that have some meat behind it. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : Thanks for making my point. O'Brien has been  the OC for the past two regular seasons and we have gone 27-5. I don't care if O'Brien never attended a game or practice, he was the OC during this run. Your ignorance of this fact lends us to believe it's more important for you to spew than to be right. IMO it kind of reminds me of your avatar! Now if you want to criticize O'Brien.... go right ahead, but do it with facts that have some meat behind it. 
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]

Wow, a hate filled insult fest of a response to a post from someone simply disagreeing with you.  Not cool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Gandalf...  I made some points in other strings yesterday about how O'Brien is derided when the offense fails to execute for HIS play calling, but, when the offense is firing on all cylinders, not a peep.  He is calling ALL of the plays, other than the changes Brady makes at the line, not just the ones that are unsuccessful!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Now if you want to criticize O'Brien.... go right ahead, but do it with facts that have some meat behind it.

Seem to remember a post you made last week stating that female reporters suck and have no knowledge of the game.  (paraphrasing of course)
    Where was your meat then?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm the one that said "Mendenhall kind of sucks" in response to how bad the Steelers would miss him. I dont know why you had to start a thread about it instead of confronting me if you felt so deeply. He is 21st in yards as a starter getting full time carries on a team that wants to run the ball. Maybe 1000 yards means something to you, it doesn't mean much to me when 15 guys in the NFL accomplished that this year and one was not Mendenhall. And he got more carries than several of those guys. In fact guys who've been injured for weeks are ahead of him still, like Forte, Peterson, F. Jackson, L. McCoy, S. Jackson, etc. etc. IMO he is BJGE with more carries, and his loss will have little effect on the Steelers.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]Now if you want to criticize O'Brien.... go right ahead, but do it with facts that have some meat behind it. Seem to remember a post you made last week stating that female reporters suck and have no knowledge of the game.  (paraphrasing of course) Where was your meat then?
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Gandalf seems to have the same Stick as a few other posters on this board.  They make a statement, their right and everyone else is an idiot/moron who's counters obviously serve to only bolster his/her point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]Now if you want to criticize O'Brien.... go right ahead, but do it with facts that have some meat behind it. Seem to remember a post you made last week stating that female reporters suck and have no knowledge of the game.  (paraphrasing of course) Where was your meat then?
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Good call. In the interest of fairness my comment was "I am being sexist and I am saying, other than KG from the Herald, the female reporters don't understand the game in the same way as the males." I will attempt to put more 'mea't behind future comments, especially in relation to the female beat writer.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : Gandalf seems to have the same Stick as a few other posters on this board.  They make a statement, their right and everyone else is an idiot/moron who's counters obviously serve to only bolster his/her point.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

You may be right.... and just to prove your point, I think you meant "schtick". :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : You may be right.... and just to prove your point, I think you meant "schtick". :-)

Oy vey, for the life of me I couldn't come up with the spelling of "Schtick".  Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree with your 3rd point.  Tom Brady is 27 - 5 over the last 2 years.  O'Brien hasn't played a signal down, thrown a pass, escape a rush or had to read a defense these last 2 years.  I'll say right now that as long as Tom Brady is the QB, the next guy will have similar, if not better, success over the next two years. Simply put if O'Brien was the OC of Indy they would still be 2 - 14.  If Tom Brady was their QB they would be the #1 seed in the AFC.  Simple as that.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Agree with Tcal. TB is the one executing. The Patriots live or die with TB, and who ever is learning and understudying TB will be successful.

The sooner OB is gone the better.

The only OC that was worth a darn was probably Weiss, who along with TB's QB coach had alot to do with where TB is at today as a professional QB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes, a 55% winning record as HC of the Giants, only won a playoff game in 2007 in his entire time with the Giants, has a team that just crumbles in november and december and doesn't get along with his players. 

I want him to be our HC if Belichick ever calls it quits. -_-

And I've said it before, I'll say it again, a WR coach isn't the reason why the Giants beat us in 2007. It was all Defensive line. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

mendenhall is aweful. hes a fumble machine with Average ability at running.

every time he touches the ball there is a 25% chance he puts it on the ground.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"!:
    [QUOTE] Why do posters make such stupid, non-fact based, comments? Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]

Because this is an open discussion forum where opinions are the stock-in-trade and, the last time I checked, everyone I know is an unrivalled expert on their own opinion.

As far as your "credibility" take goes . . .  we're a bunch of knob-ends hiding behind contrived screen identities. Of what use is "credibility"?

Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : Because this is an open discussion forum where opinions are the stock-in-trade and, the last time I checked, everyone I know is an unrivalled expert on their own opinion. As far as your "credibility" take goes . . .  we're a bunch of knob-ends hiding behind contrived screen identities. Of what use is "credibility"?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the reality check and putting things into context so succinctly. I do enjoy the banter and enjoy it more when there's significant thought behind the post. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]I'm the one that said "Mendenhall kind of sucks" in response to how bad the Steelers would miss him. I dont know why you had to start a thread about it instead of confronting me if you felt so deeply. He is 21st in yards as a starter getting full time carries on a team that wants to run the ball. Maybe 1000 yards means something to you, it doesn't mean much to me when 15 guys in the NFL accomplished that this year and one was not Mendenhall. And he got more carries than several of those guys. In fact guys who've been injured for weeks are ahead of him still, like Forte, Peterson, F. Jackson, L. McCoy, S. Jackson, etc. etc. IMO he is BJGE with more carries, and his loss will have little effect on the Steelers.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Shenanigan, It was my intent to make this a larger issue than one poster or one post. I gave three examples that I read within a couple minutes of each other. Yours just happened to be one. 
    I'll be happy to confront you with your statement. A RB who gains an average of 4 yards per carry in the NFL does not suck! He may not be an elite RB or an All-pro RB, but he does not suck! Corey Dillon did not "suck". The RB that averages 4 yards per carry is a good RB. I suspect if you had an opportunity to meet Mr. Mendenhall, you would not tell him you thought he sucked. I suspect you would be respectful and give him the due he deserves. 

The NFL is the pinnacle, it is a league of elite players and coaches. Some succeed, some fail. I don't think any of these athletes "suck". Their behavior may be suspect, their character may be suspect, but their athletic ability and play does not qualify, IMO, as sucking. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : Shenanigan, It was my intent to make this a larger issue than one poster or one post. I gave three examples that I read within a couple minutes of each other. Yours just happened to be one.  I'll be happy to confront you with your statement. A RB who gains an average of 4 yards per carry in the NFL does not suck! He may not be an elite RB or an All-pro RB, but he does not suck! Corey Dillon did not "suck". The RB that averages 4 yards per carry is a good RB. I suspect if you had an opportunity to meet Mr. Mendenhall, you would not tell him you thought he sucked. I suspect you would be respectful and give him the due he deserves.  The NFL is the pinnacle, it is a league of elite players and coaches. Some succeed, some fail. I don't think any of these athletes "suck". Their behavior may be suspect, their character may be suspect, but their athletic ability and play does not qualify, IMO, as sucking. 

Hey Gandalf!

My concern if we lose OB is that another year of TFB's prime will be consumed with breaking in a new OC. It may alsp take BB away from working closely with the needed chnages on defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Mendenhall sucks", "Coughlin is awful", "O'Brien doesn't know what he is doing"! : Hey Gandalf! My concern if we lose OB is that another year of TFB's prime will be consumed with breaking in a new OC. It may alsp take BB away from working closely with the needed chnages on defense.
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]

Your point is well taken. I would like to see OB stay for continuity sake and to continue to prep a new OC in case OB leaves. BB looks like he is ready to place his defensive impramatur on this team for this run in the playoffs. If he doesn't succeed this year I would like him highly involved next year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

People keep hiring Belichick O-coordinators because they want some of that BB fairy dust sprinkled on their team, BB went 11-5 with a guy that didn't start a single game in college (being balanced I might add).  

I do believe Brady might be 2nd most important guy in the chain of command though, football teams have huge rosters, lots of coaches and team guys and most of all it's a team effort.  I think there are a lot of people who talk about the positives on our team, but the negative gets all the hype, national press and sometimes it originates here.

Ridley is a monster... 5'11 225 lbs with a nasty burst, the Pat's runningback of the future.

There... something positive.