"Mystery team" making play for Asomugha. Is it New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

"Mystery team" making play for Asomugha. Is it New England?

Reportedly there is a mystery team making a push for Nnamdi Asomugha that is making things real intereresting & delaying his signing w/the Jets. People are spoeculating there is a phylosophical divide between him & Team Rex...Could the Pats be making a play for this guy? Do we even have the cap space? We need another CB almost as bad as a pass rush off the edge....Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re:

Doesn't make sense with Bodden coming back and them spending a high draft pick on Dowling. I'd be surprised if the Patriots got their nose in on this

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

Re: "Mystery team" making play for Asomugha. Is it New England?

We're already set at the CB position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I can't imagine the Pats investing this much in a CB given our current roster..even if it is to block the Jets. Don't see it happening. What teams have the cap room to grab him?...the list is small I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Totally forgot about Bodden. Man, we have a ton of CB's....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

If we were to come here then Bodden and Butler both would be cut or moved to free up some cap space.  Just cannot see the Pats making this move but with what has happen in the last two days anything is possible!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite, Dowling...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

In Response to Re: "Mystery team" making play for Asomugha. Is it New England?:
    If we were to come here then Bodden and Butler both would be cut or moved to free up some cap space.  Just cannot see the Pats making this move but with what has happen in the last two days anything is possible!
    Posted by tenace4life

I would love to see Bodden playing at safety.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This sounds suspiciously like agent-speak.

Mystery team?

What's the big secret?

As the alleged biggest draw in free agency, there are suspiciously few suitors chasing Namdi and the giant bonanza he and his have been imagining might turn out to be just a regular-sized bonanza.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

JUST MAKE AN OFFER TO DRIVE THE PRICE UP FOR THE JETS!!!

I couldn't be more adamant about this

If you drive the price high enough, he goes to Dallas instead of New York

But if you just sit around and stick your thumbs up your backside while hoping that Bodden can be half the cornerback that Asomugha is (the answer: barely), then he'll sign with the Jets on the cheap

Just drive up the price

Getting "stuck" with an all-world cornerback at a high price would be the WORST case scenario

ideally he ends up with the Cowboys for megabucks and we live happily with McCourty (top10) and Bodden-coming-off-an-injury-and-a-year-away-from-football (top30)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

No, I don't see it happening. Tampa maybe. Ton of money to spend and likely that is what is holding his decision up. How much less is he REALLY willing to take to play in NY? He's a businessman and will follow the money. Don't kid yourselves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Cowboys. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

If the Jets sign this guy they are one injury away from going 9-7 IMO. With no depth they cant afford to have injurys and signing this guy would mean sacrificing their depth. The middle of that roster will be soft as sh*t. I say let them have him.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Would you say you want them to get him, or IF they did there is obvious pros and cons? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

So what if you think we are set at CB.  Adding Asomugha would be great!  The Jets have Revis, and they are still going after him.  I would accept Asomugha in a heartbeat, start him and McCourty with Bodden playing 3rd on the depth chart.  Now, I don't believe the Pats are that mystery team, but I would love it if they were.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

the Red Sox use this strategy to ensure that nothing comes cheap for the Yankees.  They'll float offers for guys like Ubaldo Jiminez and Haruki Kuroda just so their offer is better than the Yankees.

Not so high that you overpay for a guy that you're not too enthused about

Just high enough so he doesn't go there

This would be a good idea for the Pats, too

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Getzo I would say there are pros and cons as Nnamdi is a very good player. All im saying is the whole NFL should see this as bad move for the league. Both of the best CBs in football on one team? Come on Jerry Jones stop that from happening! Offer him the world! And Tampa is dumb if they dont step in as well.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I agree, I hated the fact the Miami signed Lebron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

if you were crazy enough to be a Jets fan which would you rather have?

Asomaugh

or

Edwards
    Cromartie
    Ellis (maybe)

I really think this is the trade off here, based on the contract Aso would command vs the contracts the other 3 would command. Ellis might put you over a little what they'd sign Aso for, but still this is what I feel they'll end up giving up. IMO it's too much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

I feel it may be the Colts.  Their defense is extremely weak. Manning won't be able to stay on the field for long periods of time to control the game and keep his defense off the field as much this year as years past, due to his injury.

But at this point, it's all speculation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

It's the Cowboys.

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha has yet to pick a new team.  But another team has opted out of the chase.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that it’s down to Ryan vs. Ryan.

Cowboys versus Jets.

Rex Ryan, as anyone who follows football knows, coaches the Jets.  Rob Ryan is the first-year defensive coordinator in Dallas.

Per Lombardi, the 49ers have bailed out.  The Texans bailed when they signed Johnathan Joseph.  We’ve reported that the Bucs were never it, contrary to reports elsewhere.

We caught wind last night of talk that the Cowboys may jump into this thing.  Apparently, they have, with both feet.

Either way, it looks like Asomugha will be on NBC in primetime on Sunday night, September 11.  The only question is whether he’ll be wearing a silver helmet, or a white one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

its clearly dallas. pats likely will go after sean ellis if he's available after jets get nmandi. jets would only b able to offer ellis the  minimum if they do

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

So, if we cut Ty Warren does that clear space for Asmugha??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hardly. I think we only saved about $200k or so by cutting Ty Warren, he still counts about $5M against the cap I think..or maybe that number is forgived with the new CBA?....someone please assist here..... By cutting Crumpler we save about $2M, and Kaczur $3M. If however that $5M for Warren is forgived under the new CBA, that clears about $10M off the books.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Here is another Asomugha thread for the top!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

EAGLES won Aso

Sections
Shortcuts