"You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.

In Response to "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.:
    [QUOTE]That's what helped Jets beat Colts. I expect more of the same w/ Patriots.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

yeah, but will they disguise? that BB hasn't already adjusted for.

i mean what's left? this is the rubber match

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.

In Response to "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.:
    [QUOTE]That's what helped Jets beat Colts. I expect more of the same w/ Patriots.

That's also how the Pats confused the hell out of Sanchez. Hmmm I wonder which QB is better at picking that stuff up?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

anonymis~

He IS 100% correct though imho... 
    Back awhile, there was a thread entitled, "How would you beat The Pats."  In it, I theorized (to a manner), partially what Mangini's saying... 

<#1>
    Ya either have to find NE's "Best" Weakness, and go FULL-Bore directly at that in almost exclusionary fashion towards other areas you'd gameplan against DIRECTLY at again, what you deem NE's GREATEST weakness to be:  

EX: Giants did this by spearheading the 2 DTs part of their 4 man defensive line, I mean FULL-bore, gap-shooting between NE's O-Lineman with 1 purpose ONLY: collaps brady's interior pocket...  They correctly surmised that NE's "Greatest" weakness was in Maroney's hesitant, patient running style (a big back like S Morris was already IR'ed, and ya take a good N-S back with good enough field vision to hit the holes quick in K Faulk, out early...your left with Maroney's style of running).  And LM's style of patient, hesitating, more outside running w/ speed, and bad betwn-the=tackles power, Could NOT be enough to keep those 2 inside DTs worried about Maroney's running as a threat to counter them gap-shooting, Because Maroney's would not be able to blow by these 2 DTs goin' all-out for Brady's interior pocket...  SEE, NY Neglected the threat of NE's running game, by singularly posing their interior D-Lineman to do 1 job ONLY-Collapse the inside passer pocket, and not care 1 single bit about worrying about NE's interior rushing game...

EX: Same held true for the Cleveland Browns THIS season to a great degree...  W/ Wilfork moved to right DE, NE's inside-weakside Defense was COMPLETELY off-balance in terms of simple playing strength:  NE's inside-weakside Defense was manned by 6'1 305lb Myron Pryor @ NT (unbelievably undersized for a 3-4 NT), then rookie Brandon Deadrick on the weakside of the D-Line.  Behind them was not even 6'1 242lb Mayo @ WILB, 6'2 250lb TBC (always bad vs run) @ WOLB, and finally 5'10 small coverage CB in K Arrington=HORRIBLY off-balanced from the middle-weakside of NE's D...  And so this is what Cleveland did-The Browns did what teams most often DON'T do...Cleveland ran the ball something like 4X as much to the smaller-yardage-width WEAKSIDE of the field MORE than going to the strongside...Big Power RB in Peyton Hillis, N-S straight towards the weakside-Weakside middle of NE's off-balanced D, at the neglect of conventional wisdom AND at the neglect of spreading the ball around all over on Offense...

SAME Deal:  Find the "Greatest" Weakness that NE has somewhere, and FULLY 110% singularly target that (even if it means at the expense of other areas, doesn't matter)...

OR NOW...

<#2>
    Ya could do 1 other thing, ALSO along this same lines of what Mangin's sayin' to an even greater degree...  Mangini's saying, "Disguise Coverages."  He's sorta right...  MORE like:  Show NE something they have NEVER EVER seen before...  Not a very easy thing to do, YET:  It WAS done, AND it WAS done specifically against NE by another team (saved FOR the NE Game, in fact).  What was used so novel and out of the ordinary to ENTIRELY confuse The Patriots?  ANSWER:  A few years back, The Miami Dolphins saved their "Wildcat" Gameplan on Offense, SPECIFICALLY to use it for the very first time against The Pats in their matchup with them...  Idk, Comb over long and forgotten cast-off schemes from past decades in the NFL OR extremely novel collegiate schemes, BOTH Schemes that NFL teams no longer or never have worried about gameplanning very specifically to see and face...

THIS is DEFINATELY the best wildcard The Jets have at winning this matchup imo. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

like that hasn't been done to Brady or any other good QB in a must win game before....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Not exactly. The Jets went pretty "vanilla" against the Colts and held back on a lot of their exotic blitz packages. 

A very big reason that Cleveland won that game is that they have a big hulking running back who ran over the Patriots defense. I have a hard time seeing LT being able to duplicate that kind of power. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.:
    [QUOTE]Not exactly. The Jets went pretty "vanilla" against the Colts and held back on a lot of their exotic blitz packages.  A very big reason that Cleveland won that game is that they have a big hulking running back who ran over the Patriots defense. I have a hard time seeing LT being able to duplicate that kind of power. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Offensively, the jets do want to be successful running the ball. If everything falls on Sanchez' arm, it would be a problem for the jets....for obvious reasons

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

BTS makes a good point.

New Jersey talks a good game, but it's not really a "smashmouth" team. It will not be able to do what it did to Indianapolis -- and what Cleveland did to New England earlier this season -- to the Pats Sunday night. Tomlinson was not necessarily held in check in the previous matchup . . .  I think he had 80-some yards . . .   but ultimately the Pats were able to contain the Jests between the 20s -- which is what they do -- and keep them out of the endzone.

In any case, if you're looking at "disguising" as a potential key advantage in this game, ask yourself which coach is more adept at devising and implementing technique. Earlier this season, the Pats "young" defense was able to bait Peyton Manning into three interceptions primarily by applying pressure and confusing him about coverages -- and he's regarded as the most cerebral quarterback in the league.

What is Mark Sanchez going to do?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Jets personnel isn't used to this kind of thing. They disguise with blitz packages, but that won't work. It's not enough.

Their issue is they do not match up well.  Plain as day. And they know it.

We saw what happened when they filtered in zone on 12/6.  It blew up. Their team zone D is poor because they don't use it and aren't intelligent enough as a group to use it well.

You expext Cromartie to play zone? lol

80% man coverage and then the obvious collapsed zone isn't confusing Tom Brady.

Drippy Rexie-poo called his gameplan too "complex" when in reality, his team just isn't able to do things they haven't done all year.

Expect 95-99%% man coverage mixed with a spot blitz and the commitment to the run so Sanchez isn't exposed.

The other key will be who Revis is on.  I would keep him on Branch the whole game and roll the dice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Gronk's 2 bone head plays did more to lose that game then anything Man gina did.

How to beat the "Walk About" defensive approach.

Hurry up offence.  Nuff Said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

The problem with Mangini's assessment is that it presumes that Mangini's gameplan is what beat the Patriots. If the Patriots played the Browns again last week they would have won that game about 45-13. The Patriots lost the game to the Browns because they played badly.  What I want to hear from an ESPN analyst for somebody to say, "The way to beat the Patriots is to hope they make 4 turnovers, drop 6 passes and commit 150 yards in penalties. At Least that will be true."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

I watched this interview and thought Mangini did a pretty good job.  The interview showed selected clips demonstrating Mangini's points.  I did not get to see the Browns game as it was not televised here.  I'm sure they did some heavy cherry picking for theinterview, but you could see where that strategy can be effective.

I also believe that Belichick has already developed plays to beat that strategy and the team has practiced them.  I'm sure they go to the line each play with an audible ready the next time someone tries it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said.:
    [QUOTE]Not exactly. The Jets went pretty "vanilla" against the Colts and held back on a lot of their exotic blitz packages.  A very big reason that Cleveland won that game is that they have a big hulking running back who ran over the Patriots defense. I have a hard time seeing LT being able to duplicate that kind of power. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    but that doesn't mean they didn't disguise.  they just didn't bring the pressure they normally do.  I don't know what worked beating the pats the first time, but they may do something similar in this game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know what worked beating the pats the first time, but they may do something similar in this game.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    The Patriots had the first game won.  Belichick wanted to fish or cut bait on Randy Moss and the Patriots spent the second half forcing the ball to Moss.  We proceeded to give the game to the Jets.

The gambit worked.  We traded Moss and went back to Brady throwing to his favorite receiver - the open one.

Because we won't be forcing the ball to any one receiver on Sunday the Jets do not have a chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

He doesn't get it. He's Underpants.

He has no clue with conceptual, complementary and balance football.

NE's offense went from flat out, one dimensional in 2009 and into Week 4, to the most lethal and balanced offense in the NFL.

It takes teams 2-3 years to reconstruct an offense or a defense and then you  need to see how it is.

NE did this overnight and certainly changed it by the time Week 13 rolled along in the rematch.

This is NY's worst nightmare.  Manboobs referenced this earlier in his little ESPN sidebar.

He said NY hires people to try to beat NE.  That's their whole goal.  Makes sense.

Rex Ryan's successes against Brady are well noted.  The issue is, Brady had a very deliberate offense when he had played  Baltimore or NY Jets D prior to last month.

It was a 1-2 punch offense whether it be Deion Branch and Corey Dillon or something like Moss and Welker.

NY has been completely fleeced by Belichick this year DURING the season.  The moves BB made, that fleshed out the transition into the more Weis styled offense, makes Rex Ryan's style of D almost indifferent in concept up against this kind of balance.

This is the Jets worst match up.  Jets have no pass rush and a low IQ, one dimensional D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Jets are going to run the ball a lot.  Aside from the fact that Sanchez' arm isn't up to snuff right now, McCourty has improved to such a degree that the Jets are going to have to honor that spot more than they did in week 2. 

But they're going to run, run and run some more.  I would also guess some throws in the flats, but I highly doubt that the play they ran to Edwards against Indy will work against this team.   As critical as I've been of LT, he's still got something in the tank.  That is literally the only component of the NJ offense that worries me.

Really hoping to see Gronk wreck someone coming over the middle. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Yeah, and why didn't you do that in Cleveland, Mangini? the most he'll ever be is a defensive back coach

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

[QUOTE]He doesn't get it. He's Underpants. He has no clue with conceptual, complementary and balance football. NE's offense went from flat out, one dimensional in 2009 and into Week 4, to the most lethal and balanced offense in the NFL. It takes teams 2-3 years to reconstruct an offense or a defense and then you  need to see how it is. NE did this overnight and certainly changed it by the time Week 13 rolled along in the rematch. This is NY's worst nightmare.  Manboobs referenced this earlier in his little ESPN sidebar. He said NY hires people to try to beat NE.  That's their whole goal.  Makes sense. Rex Ryan's successes against Brady are well noted.  The issue is, Brady had a very deliberate offense when he had played  Baltimore or NY Jets D prior to last month. It was a 1-2 punch offense whether it be Deion Branch and Corey Dillon or something like Moss and Welker. NY has been completely fleeced by Belichick this year DURING the season.  The moves BB made, that fleshed out the transition into the more Weis styled offense, makes Rex Ryan's style of D almost indifferent in concept up against this kind of balance. This is the Jets worst match up.  Jets have no pass rush and a low IQ, one dimensional D.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I find it amazing how quickly they rebuilt the offense.  As exciting as a 75 yard TD bomb to Moss was, the short drives put the defense at a massive disadvantage.  Last year and into this year the "highlight" plays were becoming infrequent and were replaced with more 3 and outs.  I prefer watching the 8-10 play drives ending in TD's, with some nice 7-8 yard runs by the RB.  I can't quantify how many times I've seen 2nd and 3 during the winning streak, as opposed to the 2nd and 10 when Moss and Maroney were in the lineup.  The ability to gain positive yardage under almost any circumstance has been a major key to our success.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]BTS makes a good point. New Jersey talks a good game, but it's not really a "smashmouth" team. It will not be able to do what it did to Indianapolis -- and what Cleveland did to New England earlier this season -- to the Pats Sunday night. Tomlinson was not necessarily held in check in the previous matchup . . .  I think he had 80-some yards . . .   but ultimately the Pats were able to contain the Jests between the 20s -- which is what they do -- and keep them out of the endzone. In any case, if you're looking at "disguising" as a potential key advantage in this game, ask yourself which coach is more adept at devising and implementing technique. Earlier this season, the Pats "young" defense was able to bait Peyton Manning into three interceptions primarily by applying pressure and confusing him about coverages -- and he's regarded as the most cerebral quarterback in the league. What is Mark Sanchez going to do?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

"and he's regarded as the most cerebral quarterback in the league"

At least until playoff time comes, eh Doggie?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "You've got to constantly be disguising, and everybody's got to do it," Mangini said. : The Patriots had the first game won.  Belichick wanted to fish or cut bait on Randy Moss and the Patriots spent the second half forcing the ball to Moss.  We proceeded to give the game to the Jets. The gambit worked.  We traded Moss and went back to Brady throwing to his favorite receiver - the open one. Because we won't be forcing the ball to any one receiver on Sunday the Jets do not have a chance.
    Posted by Will-Redd[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is true. When Revis grabbed his hamstring (convenient) after being beaten by Moss, TB thought he would have a field day with Moss against Cromartie. Turns out Cromartie plays vertical routs to perfection but is burnt by guys like Branch that (have the guts) can cross the field.

Jersey green has a problem. They can only put one receiver on Revis Island and it would make sense for that to be Welker so Revis can help out in the middle. Branch, if he is up for it, should scorch Cromartie and so should the TE's. Unless NJG can get pressure.

BB never gave a game away to make a point. Not sure he would give a game away to save his mother's life.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Nothing that anybody didn't already know - if you let Brady know what the coverage is before the snap, you're toast.  It's why Brady has eaten strictly-Cover-2 teams for lunch for his entire career, and why the Colts had to start changing things up in order to contain the Pats.

I don't think their safeties are good enough to heavily disguise.

WHEN YOU DISGUISE, YOU RISK BEING CAUGHT OUT OF POSITION, which negates the disguise as the defender isn't able to get back to his assignment.

I like the Pats' chances if the protections hold up

I'M MOSTLY AFRAID OF THE DELAYED BLITZ - I still have an image in my head of Kawika Mitchell zooming by the flat-footed Mankins and Koppen for a sack on Tom Brady in Super Bowl XLII.  A couple of the Jets' big sacks in the Monday Night game came on delayed/disguised blitzes that were very well drawn up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Brady is getting harassed

Sections
Shortcuts