Collins playing a hybrid LB/SS position?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrecksryan. Show wrecksryan's posts

Re: Collins playing a hybrid LB/SS position?

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly. BB doesnt let anyone loose. They have a million assignments of which pass rush is low on the list. Most times they are told to dance with the lineman and hold the point.

We are now shooting gaps a lot more since switching to this four man front, sometimes it's the linebacker who has to stay home, sometimes it's still the D tackles.  The Ravens really made this a staple of their defense recently, it seems like they have outside linebackers at all four linebacker positions who rush on every down and the D tackles play more two gap, it's almost as if they've eschewed the inside linebacker position.  Neither of their starting inside linebackers are a traditional "Mike" linebacker, bigger stronger like Spikes is for us or Ted Johnson was back in the day, now they have two "Wills" (Bru, Mayo) who are quicker, good in coverage, better tacklers in space.   A scary thought is that the Ravens will replace one of these inside guys now for Suggs, Dumervil or Upshaw and you could have all three of those guys at a single time getting after the QB.

[/QUOTE]

That's due to a dearth of proto-typical MLB types....it's also a reaction to hurry up offenses and the need to have 3 down LB's to play that effectively...it all depends on what's draftable in any years given draft, what the new defensive flavor of the year is to combat a particular offensive trend and what the coaches different philosophies of defense is...what's hot today will change tomorrow

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Thanks for reply. I tend to agree with that and im hoping Kelly does just that. Give us another interior guy they have to pay attention too. Id like to think in certain formations Kelly can even be the sole lineman and give Fork a blow a here and there with the exotic packages(Kelly bring a height element Fork doenst have at 6'1)

I would say Collins is gonna be a jackknife player that they can use situationally. Ebner is intriging, but I would say he is one more year away from being an option. If he doesnt break the lineup next year, he is career special teamer which is great for a former rugby player. I acutally think Harmon is better than I did 3 weeks ago so thats good. He looks to be able to hold his own in zone coverage where Tavon struggled. Ideally they may use both in diff. situations. Tavon can cover TEs and Rbs and be the 3rd safety but he was dreadful as an over the top, help safety. I havent seen Harmon one on one but he looks to be able to play the single high safety which BB is leaning on to get that other safety in the box. I cant see Gregory playing all game at safety.

I agree with Kelly being able to slide over to the nose, another way to look at it is if you added AJ Francis or Armstead to the fold, that young guy won't be the center of attention and should be able to thrive.  I'm not overly concerned about depth at DT since this Francis kid's signing, obviously I won't anoint him an All Pro yet, but he was the last guy the Dolphins cut and his game film was impressive, plus he's just big and athletic.  At worst he and Vellano will be a wash to Love/Fortson, it's the addition of Kelly that makes us much better.

Agree with Collins and the safeties, the good news if Harmon works out is we'll have at least one back end safety besides McCourty, I can see why they had him in a red practice jersey all preseason.  Gregory I think wasn't hired as much to play safety as teach our young guys how to play, he is very mush the undersized "Rudyesque" player who made it on smarts, regardless of where he plays it's always good to have a chip on your shoulder guy like Gregory on the team, these guys are the spackle that secure your walls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Exactly. BB doesnt let anyone loose. They have a million assignments of which pass rush is low on the list. Most times they are told to dance with the lineman and hold the point.

We are now shooting gaps a lot more since switching to this four man front, sometimes it's the linebacker who has to stay home, sometimes it's still the D tackles.  The Ravens really made this a staple of their defense recently, it seems like they have outside linebackers at all four linebacker positions who rush on every down and the D tackles play more two gap, it's almost as if they've eschewed the inside linebacker position.  Neither of their starting inside linebackers are a traditional "Mike" linebacker, bigger stronger like Spikes is for us or Ted Johnson was back in the day, now they have two "Wills" (Bru, Mayo) who are quicker, good in coverage, better tacklers in space.   A scary thought is that the Ravens will replace one of these inside guys now for Suggs, Dumervil or Upshaw and you could have all three of those guys at a single time getting after the QB.

Ravens have reloaded nicely Wozzy. Early on it didnt look good but looking at their roster now, they may not miss much outside of experience and leadership. They will still be physical and the addition of Dumervill and a healthy Suggs is gonna be crazy. Only real question is Flacoo and what he does coming off that win and contract with no more Bolden and Torry Smith needing to step up. I hope Flacco falls on his face. The defense is still legit, Imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrecksryan. Show wrecksryan's posts

[QUOTE]

Ravens have reloaded nicely Wozzy. Early on it didnt look good but looking at their roster now, they may not miss much outside of experience and leadership. They will still be physical and the addition of Dumervill and a healthy Suggs is gonna be crazy. Only real question is Flacoo and what he does coming off that win and contract with no more Bolden and Torry Smith needing to step up. I hope Flacco falls on his face. The defense is still legit, Imo

[/QUOTE]

I would not be surprised if the Ravens beat the Broncos tonight, that's how good their D will still be...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wrecksryan's comment:

That's due to a dearth of proto-typical MLB types....it's also a reaction to hurry up offenses and the need to have 3 down LB's to play that effectively...it all depends on what's draftable in any years given draft, what the new defensive flavor of the year is to combat a particular offensive trend and what the coaches different philosophies of defense is...what's hot today will change tomorrow

I don't know if it's as much a deficiency of middle linebackers as much as a change in style of play in the NFL, all this no huddle, QB read option and wide open offense makes getting to the QB with more regularity a must.  Mayo has been dropping back into coverage for years now, if we get more pressure the entire defense will suck in and Mayo will be playing closer to the line, making plays.  Think about the hesitation blitz with Mayo now that we have a front people have to respect, before a blocker would meet him, now he should fly through untouched.

I agree with you that Collins is a rookie, but he played every position in college and is adept at change, the kid is smart.  He is also an outstanding tackler, he might already be the best tackler on our team even if he isn't sure where he should be at any given time.  He has a nose for the ball, his solo tackle stats in college were crazy good, when he puts it all together he will be as complete a linebacker as there is in the game health provided.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ravens = good GM/good Coach

That is a recipe for success, it all starts with a good owner.  The Ravens have risen to be our main competition in the AFC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Agree with all above...

Triple the biggest improvement will be the addition of Tommy Kelly and maturation of our young linebackers like Jones and Hightower.  But the truth is because Kelly and Vince will require attention on the inside and even two blockers can't hold them for any length of time it will open up the edge rushers; Jones and Nink should lead our team in sacks, which team wide should rise.  Even if we only send four, all four can beat blocking so that will be fun, send five and it's a jail break.

While Ebner, Tavon and Harmon are all young it would be shortsighted to assume that one of them could not ascend and become that every down safety, we've seen it before so it may happen again. Duron to me looks to already have the brain part of it down, yes he'll make rookie mistakes, but he looked like he was always in the right place in preseason even if he didn't always make the play, he has the physical talent if he can put it all together.  

Ebner might become that thumper, head hunter, intimidator type if he can master the cerebral part, Tavon is a little bit of both Harmon and Ebner but doesn't seem to excel at either, I am not writing any of these guys off yet, they're way too young.

Completely agree. But I do not leave out Buchanan as a possible addition to pass rush too. His rotation could also help keep Nink and Jones fresher which would help their effectiveness.

Also, along with Hightower Spikes has shown some good instincts at blitzing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[/QUOTE]

I would not be surprised if the Ravens beat the Broncos tonight, that's how good their D will still be...

[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Ravens. So many changes on O and D. But it would not surprise me to see them field a strong team and even to beat Denver. But if I HAD to bet on tonight I think I would go with Denver if no points given either way.