Don't understand it?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Don't understand it?

Reading comprehension, Rusty?

Restructuring a player on his existing contract is not the same as extending his current contract.  The Pats cannot restructure Brady without it causing a bigger contract next year. 

They can, however, extend him and provide some relief.

He is right!

On the Pats cap situation, you are completely ignoring the fact that the Pats probably will not be able to sign their top 3 FA's nor many of their 2nd tier guys.  If not, these guys will have to be replaced, which will also cost money.  They have some money but who are they going to be able to sign to replace starters?   Draft picks??????

Both teams will have to let productive guys go due to their available cap.

One is due more to bloated contracts ( guys no longer worth it), the other is due to signing unproductive players who were cut and resulted in a lot of dead money, draining the available cap.

Didn't the Pats have like 18mm in dead money last year because they cut unproductive players?  What is it this year?  10mm +.  We're still paying for the Ocho mistake, and others.

That's a whole lot of cap the Pats could use this year to sign their valuable FA's.

Seems like a big waste of cap to me.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Restructuring a player on his existing contract is not the same as extending his current contract.  The Pats cannot restructure Brady without it causing a bigger contract next year. 

He is right!

On the Pats cap situation, you are completely ignoring the fact that the Pats probably will not be able to sign their top 3 FA's nor many of their 2nd tier guys.  If not, these guys will have to be replaced, which will also cost money.  They have some money but who are they going to be able to sign to replace starters?   Draft picks??????

One is due more to bloated contracts ( guys no longer worth it), the other is due to signing unproductive players who were cut and resulted in a lot of dead money, draining the available cap.

Didn't the Pats have like 18mm in dead money last year because they cut unproductive players?  What is it this year?  10mm +.  We're still paying for the Ocho mistake, and others.

That's a whole lot of cap the Pats could use this year to sign their valuable FA's.

Every team carries dead money.  It's simply not that uncommon. 

Seems like Brady at 22 million not performing well in the postseason anymore is really the key problem for us.

Caving into Welker woule be another mistake.  So, 18 million, maybe Mankins can restructure since he really heasn't played like the best interior lineman in the NFL the last few years, can help a bit, too.

But, in no way  are those bozos correct on the Jets cap analysis.  I was clearly giving you too much credit when I said you even though RKrap was wrong.

My mistake. lol

Most teams dead money is managable.  I hadn't looked this year yet but last year I saw quite a few teams with dead money under 5m and most under 8m.

18M is not acceptable, that's almost 15% of the available cap for cripes sake.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

He is right!

Seems like Brady at 22 million not performing well in the postseason anymore is really the key problem for us.

Caving into Welker woule be another mistake.  So, 18 million, maybe Mankins can restructure since he really heasn't played like the best interior lineman in the NFL the last few years, can help a bit, too.

But, in no way  are those bozos correct on the Jets cap analysis.  I was clearly giving you too much credit when I said you even though RKrap was wrong.

My mistake. lol

Most teams dead money is managable.  I hadn't looked this year yet but last year I saw quite a few teams with dead money under 5m and most under 8m.

When you have the youngest D in the league, that one year of a high carry over isn't a big deal.   That's why it's manageable. In a place like Buffalo or like the Jets were they have overpaid FAs as their base of their team, it's not.

Most teams carry between 5-12 every year. NE was also 8th in total payroll last year, which seemingly has kept the "Kraft is cheap" bogus rhetoric at bay for once.

You're a disgrace as a Pats fan. An absolute disgrace. Take your unhealthy Brady man lust elsewhere, please.

Actually, you should take your unhealthy TB man hate elseware.  A Jets forum would be great although I feel even there, the reasonable fans would think you are cukoo.

I never said the Pats were cheap.  I said 18M in dead money is ridiculous, which it is.

That's good money that could have been used to  help settle the revolving door of one of the worst defenses in NFL history for the past several years, instead of spending it on other teams missfits and one year rentals.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He is right!

My mistake. lol

When you have the youngest D in the league, that one year of a high carry over isn't a big deal.   That's why it's manageable. In a place like Buffalo or like the Jets were they have overpaid FAs as their base of their team, it's not.

Most teams carry between 5-12 every year. NE was also 8th in total payroll last year, which seemingly has kept the "Kraft is cheap" bogus rhetoric at bay for once.

You're a disgrace as a Pats fan. An absolute disgrace. Take your unhealthy Brady man lust elsewhere, please.

Actually, you should take your unhealthy TB man hate elseware.  A Jets forum would be great although I feel even there, the reasonable fans would think you are cukoo.

I never said the Pats were cheap.  I said 18M in dead money is ridiculous, which it is.

That's good money that could have been used to  help settle the revolving door of one of the worst defenses in NFL history for the past several years, instead of spending it on other teams missfits and one year rentals.

You clearly have absolutely no knowledge of the NFL's history. NE's D is up there with 1-15 teams, bad Tampa Bay, Atlanta, NOs, insert awful team name here?

You don't finish top 2 3 years in a row in turnovers created, middle of the pack in points allowed in a 32 team league, have a top 10 Run D, and be considered "one of the worst in NFL history".

You're an imbecile to make that statment. An imbecile. I knew you started watching the NFL in 2007. That statement only proves it.

That supposedly "one of the worst in NFL history" bailed out Tommy Boy in the AFC title game last year, but couldn't do it this year. Shame on the D for not continuing to bail out Brady all the time.

Imagine if Brady didn't throw an INT to start the 4th QTR in the SB or miss Welker to ice the SB last year?  This wouldn't even be a discussion.

I repeat: 18 million in dead money is not that ridiculous when you have such a young team with very cheap contracts, generally speaking.

The Pats have approx $4.5 in dead money, mostly Ocho $1.5 and Fanene. The Jets have approx $1m in dead money

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Jets free agents along with comments. 

LaRon Landry- I think Landry is probably more popular with the fanbase than he is with NFL execs. Originally seeking top tier money, which I discussed a long time ago as being a dream, Landry seems to have backed way off those numbers now looking for a more reasonable $6 million a year. Landry negotiated a no franchise tag clause in his contract, but at this point I wonder if he wished he did not do that. He played last season on a deal for $3.5 million as a prove your worth deal and even though he lasted the year healthy and made the Pro Bowl you just don’t hear his name mentioned as a prime free agent target. There are a number of better Safeties who are free agents and I think he is lost in the shuffle. At this point taking the $6.483 projected tender and trying again next year might be best but that isn’t an option. 

I tend to think the Jets like Landry, but with the team rebuilding would not want to commit long term to him. I could see him approaching the Jets about playing on a 1 year deal worth around $6.5 million just as if they tagged him which they can probably make work if he holds off for a week while they get their cap in order. Id say its 50/50 he comes back.

Dustin Keller- The fact that the Jets did not re-sign Keller last year tells me they don’t expect him back. Normally the Jets would have torn up a contract last year and done the extension but they didn’t and allowed him to take up a larger percentage of the salary cap to play out his rookie contract. While his injury hurts his value I cant imagine it pushed it lower than clearly inferior players like Marcedes Lewis of the Jaguars. That is too rich for the Jets blood. Most likely he walks away and the Jets will get draft pick compensation for him. 

Yeremiah Bell- The veteran was a solid addition to the Jets secondary and an upgrade over 2011 Because of his age Bell will not have many suitors so I would expect him to stay in NY, though it may take a two year contract to ensure it, though its going to be a pretty cost effective contract.

Mike DeVito- Personally I think the Jets need him back. He is versatile and can play the inside where his lack of pass rushing ability is not a problem. I still say their best defensive front next year would be Coples, DeVito, Pouha, and Wilkerson playing the 4 man front but I don’t think it will happen. The Jets seemed to nearly cut DeVito last season when they forced him into a small paycut after drafting Coples. Had he refused my assumption is he would have been cut. There may also be some concerns about his long term durability. Buffalo has more cap room and I think will offer him a contract that the Jets won’t think is reasonable to match based on their internal projections of his abilities. 

Matt Slauson- Slauson is another player I would not mind having back as he is underrated in pass protection which in today’s NFL is far more important than run blocking. That being said he also fell victim to the paycut or be cut strategy last year and was getting pulled every few series for Vlad Ducasse last season. While Slauson won’t have a high price tag I think he was done with the Jets last season and I don’t think he would come back unless he had no other offers. I think Rex wants big mauling linemen and that is not Slauson who at times gets manhandled at the point of attack against the run. 

Brandon Moore- I thought it was clear that Moore slowed down last season and having completed 10 years in the NFL starting to take a toll on his body. The difficult part of this for the Jets is that they are losing a leader if they do not bring him back as neither Ferguson nor Mangold seems to have taken the mantle of leader in the manner the team would have hoped. While Steve Hutchinson has more name value Moore is the far better player and younger so I have to think he will push for a bigger deal. Hutchinson’s deal was a 3 year contract worth $16.5 million with $6.5 million in guarantees. 4 years for $22 million and $9 million or so in guarantees for a 33 year old guard seems like a bit too much for a rebuilding team. I don’t think its really a salary cap issue as they can just push money off into 2014, but more of a feeling that its time to move on. My guess is they draft his replacement. 

Shonn Greene- You simply do not pay players like Greene once their rookie contracts expire and I find it hard to believe that the Jets will bring him back. He isn’t explosive nor a punishing runner. He is a non-factor in the passing game. There will likely be a team or two that falls in love with the fact that he ran for over 1000 yards but it won’t be, nor should it be, the Jets. 

Braylon Edwards- I think its important to bring Edwards back for a number of reasons. The guy loves the team and will be a major locker room plus. He meshes well with Sanchez and even with the injury potential is a big target for a 4th WR. He will only cost the veterans minimum which this year means a cap charge of just $620,000. I’d be disappointed if he doenst come back this year.

Nick Folk- I’m 50/50 on Folk. If the Jets were a more competitive team I think it would be important to find someone with a bigger leg that may be able to handle the elements better. But since they are not competitive is it going to really hurt the team to bring him back for $620,000? Probably not. This isn’t a developmental position so it could be a situation where they do bring him back with minimal guarantees and bring in a younger leg to compete with him. If he wants more than $65,000 in guarantees I would let him walk.

Lex Hilliard- He was a midseason acquisition that could get an invite to camp but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets don’t even extend him an offer until after the draft and they look at a number of UDFA’s. He may not even fit in with the new offensive system .

Chaz Schilens- The knock on Schilens has always been durability and he did nothing to change that perception. Doubt he comes back unless he needs to fill in for injuries during the season. 

Bryan Thomas- The Jets probably should have walked away last season. His off the field issues now keep him from getting a little retirement ceremony. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to EnochRoot's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

Might it be something about repetition?  If you post something like it's been cut and pasted a billion times why not delete some of them?  Reaching here but it does seem like the same old rants pop up on different threads all the time.

But won't the free agency and salary comments go away in about 6 weeks? Isn't it the hottest button along with the draft at this moment, after Oscar of course. 

For post SB until April 1 what's to discuss other than free agency and the draft?  I get tired of seeing every player released exlamated....."George Wilson released!" 

Be it the Jets, Phins or Bills, I don't mind reading about the Pats division rivals, and what they are doing during this 6-8 weeks prior to the free agency signing date.

I just want dibs on creating threads where we sign any free agent released regardless of cost or fit. I will even include players from other sports. 

Let's sign Oscar.  He canwear stilts in goal to go passing situations.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

He is right!

My mistake. lol

You clearly have absolutely no knowledge of the NFL's history. NE's D is up there with 1-15 teams, bad Tampa Bay, Atlanta, NOs, insert awful team name here?

You don't finish top 2 3 years in a row in turnovers created, middle of the pack in points allowed in a 32 team league, have a top 10 Run D, and be considered "one of the worst in NFL history".

You're an imbecile to make that statment. An imbecile. I knew you started watching the NFL in 2007. That statement only proves it.

That supposedly "one of the worst in NFL history" bailed out Tommy Boy in the AFC title game last year, but couldn't do it this year. Shame on the D for not continuing to bail out Brady all the time.

Imagine if Brady didn't throw an INT to start the 4th QTR in the SB or miss Welker to ice the SB last year?  This wouldn't even be a discussion.

I repeat: 18 million in dead money is not that ridiculous when you have such a young team with very cheap contracts, generally speaking.

You are absolutely insane if you think the past 3 years D's were anything but pathetic.

You don't get a 27-31st total defensive ranking by being good or even mediocre.

That's bottom 5 in every ones book.  Bottom 5!

The D in the AFC title game didn't bail out any one but themselves as they were about to give up the lead AGAIN with 6 seconds left.  Still, Billy Cundif won it, not them.

How many times have we seen the D give up the winning drive on the last possession?

How many times did the O have the lead up until that very moment?  pffttt.

The D was tied 10th  out of the 12 play-off teams this year.  10th with 2 games. 

No T/o's and allowing 100% rz scores is not good.  Get it?  Learn the game!!!!!!!!!

Pathetic!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html                                                                                                                                          This says the Jets have about 4.7mil dead money.  Is that correct?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts