Duron Harmon = Tavon Wilson Redux ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Duron Harmon = Tavon Wilson Redux ?

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Tex: Considering you wanted the Pats to take Matt Barkley in the 1st round (you know the guy who went in the 4th round) I'd say that criticizing the FO for a reach is the pot calling the kettle black.  LMAO.

I listed several players at #29 as people I'd like to see the Pats take, not just Barkley. I also predicted a tradedown (see my final mock draft). Unlike BB, I don't have inside information on players...or a bevy of scouts sending me reports on guys. If you check the major draft publications, you would know that all had Barkley and Nassib highly rated. It was a surprise to all that these guys dropped to the start of round 4.

In any event, what does that matter regarding the use of the 91st overall pick, on a guy who likely could have been had in the 7th round? Are you defending the pick? Did you like the pick? If so...why? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Again - nice to dream that ever pick in the second round is going to be a ten year starter and every third rounder will be amazing. BUT - a little reality - 

One in four players over the last ten years taken between #44 and #66 actually start 3 years in the NFL and that includes a lot of teams with really dreadful starters - the numbers for top ten teams like tha Pats would be a lot worse.

And picks taken between #66 and #100 - ONE in SEVEN players taken in that range end up starting 3 years in the NFL.

Anybody got a dart I can throw at my draft board? Probably do only a little worse than the average GM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to THTM's comment:

Bills jumped the shark,I fully expect him to get caught with dead cat ladies buried in his backyard or live ones.He is just setting up his insanity defense so in a way he is winning.

Either I haven't had enough coffee yet....

Or I have indeed lost too many brain cells due to old age....

But...this post makes zero sense to me...

Explain?

Lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In any event, what does that matter regarding the use of the 91st overall pick, on a guy who likely could have been had in the 7th round? Are you defending the pick? Did you like the pick? If so...why? 

It matters because, as a great man once said... Unlike BB, I don't have inside information on players...or a bevy of scouts sending me reports on guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I pretty much expect picks like this out of this team now - it's almost as if they have something against the draft after the first round, like, you think we are reaching? To bad. We are going to do it every year so get used to it. Funny thing is these picks are reasonably high and the players usually don't work out, seems like a massive waste to me. The only reach like this that I can think of that worked out for us was Vollmer - and you then heard he was building momentum late. Plus any film on him that was available online showed he was a talent. These two guys from Rutgers look like special teams players and backups based off what's available on the internet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Please, Please, Please let Duron Harmon = Tavon Wilson Redux!

Tavon Wilson started games as a rookie and had 4 picks. He will most likely be the starting FS in 2013.  50%+ of 2nd round draft choices never become constistent starters for the teams drafting them. 

So if Duron Harmon can be the player we saw in Tavon Wilson last year its a solid pick. It doesn't matter where TexPat thought he should be drafted. (Obviously).  It doesn't even matter where other GMs thought he should be drafted.  Many GMs and analysts said this is one of the worst drafts in the last 10 years.  The vast majority of the 3rd round picks will be complete busts.  So if Harmon can be a viable contributor, its a great pick. 

When we look back at drafts 5,6,7 years ago, we evaluate them solely on the # of players choosen who have excelled with that team and the relative level of success.  It doesn't matter if the players taken were selected above their predicted slot.  Nobody cares about that years after the fact.  It's simply whether the picks turned into good NFL players or not.

Now if the reason that Harmon was low on everyone's board but BB's is that the kid can't play, then it's a wasted pick. But that's true of any 3rd round pick: Duron Harmon or whoever Tex Pat, Mel Kiper or ProFootball Weekly rated as the #1 value pick at that spot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Same old. Different year. Mediocre team surrounds the elite QB. A formula for - close but no cigar. Like I said, same old. Rack up another AFC East, hurray for our team. We need some luck, because drafting skill ain't going to get us there despite the frenzy of overrating stiffs the fanbase has a penchant for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

Every guy we pick you hear this:  "He's a versatile player.  He could be a WR, or he could be a DE, or he could even punt if we need it.  If nothing else, he'll be used on special teams."

We have to be the only freakin' team in the NFL who spends every draft pick on guys who "could be good on special teams".  I am so sick of hearing the words "special teams" on Pats Draft Day.  

Funny how all these guys who are supposed to be so great on special teams, usually completely stink at special teams.  We drafted a freakin' RUGBY player last year, and all I heard was how he was a "project" who would "be great on special teams".  First time I noticed the guy in a game, he was the outside blocker on our FG attempt, whiffed his block, and allowed the defender to run free and block our FG. 

So...Yeah, keep drafting these special teams guys that no one has heard of.  Great plan!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I'd say that Tavon Wilson was not what they expected...I also think that is true of Gregory as well...he's rebuilding the safety position, so yes, I'd say that is a tacit admission that Wilson has underwhelmed him in his progress and that the situation in the deep middle is awful.....we'll see this camp...if Tavon doesn't get a big jump in playing time and take it away from Gregory, well, let me just say you don't use a 2nd round pick to get a special teams demon....

Best post in the thread. Smart thinking which I am on board with. Gregory IMO should be cut. I was not impressed with him last year at all. He is not intimidating, a big hitter, or even a great open field tackler. Overall he just underwhelmed me with his play. Tavon Wilson.......well he is as of now the first backup to Wilson/McCourty. I won't start passing judgement on him though till I see how he has come along this year. Personally, the secondary is never going to be great though, until they get a legit INTIMIDATING hitter(Like the vet Wilson they picked up). When recievers start making acrobatic catches with no fear of getting hit or hurt, they start to have "pro bowl" type games. The big deal with our secondary, is that NOONE intimidates ANYONE with their hitting. Talib, definetly not, he is just a good open field tackler. We need someone who can lay the lumber(and ENJOY/Live to do that. Like a Wilson or Pollard etc...)someone whose mere prescense makes recievers think twice about that nasty blind side hit in traffic. Thats what we need. Until we get that, the defensive backs will always be at best average.

Its the same for the front 7. Wilfork plays nasty and loves to lay down the hammer. When Brandon Spikes is 100% HEALTHY he plays the same way and is intimidating on the run plays. We need that same type of player for the back 4 before the unit starts to resemble something formidable.

Im really liking Dennards super agressive style. I can't wait to see how he plays this year with a full year under his belt, the burden of his trial settled, and a chance to get a bit stronger........I think he is going to have a great year. Talib, I think will have basically the same year as he did last year. When on the field healthy, solid but not spectacular, a GOOD piece to the secondary.

Im hoping Kyle Love makes some progress this year too. He has the chance to be very good and a good complimentary piece to Wilfork. Im just hoping he hasn't hit is ceiling, especially with his size.

So to sum it up, the defense has a chance next year to be something special or in the top portion of the league IF.

A. Everyone stays healthy(Wilfork,Spikes,Talib especially)

B. Wilson(Adrian) still has something in the tank and can give the backs that fear factor thats been missing since Harrison's decline.

C. Dennard, makes noticeable improvement in 2nd year as a good counterpart to Talib.

D. Pats play more PRESS COVERAGE overall. They have the players who are good at that. So let em line up that way. I hate zone or soft man(and like always a full 10 yards back.......wtf) schemes that they have played alot on the recent past.

So where does that put Harmon? Competeting for a backup spot with Tavon Wilson.......and I bet Gregory gets cut. How much they payin him btw? I bet its too much whatever it is.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Dbacks with Talib and dennard as starting CB's and Mccouty at safety make this group an entirely different than what we saw for most of the year last year.

I am not trying to say this team is stacked but I think when you have to build a 53 man roster is is difficult to have studs lined up in every position.

If Dennard makes a noticeable improvement in play over last year he will be VERY GOOD and a really good compliment with Talib.........Dennard plays with an agressive/cocky atitude that I like and thats needed for the Patriots secondary. He has shown to be a great open field tackler as well, and plays fast. He would have been a sure fire 1st round draft pick this year if it wasn't for the cop fiasco. I could actually see him down the road matching up with the oppositions best reciever down the road too. He has witout question a high ceiling.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I have no problem with the pick. I don't know all the dynamics of the pick and the pats board. I wanted Alabama Jessie. He lasted way longer then he should. The 6 th didnt he?  I'd think that a lot of team boards are similar.  The pick was made, now we have to see how it goes in camp. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Thomas of San Diego State was superior to this Jersey guy; Shanahan of the Redskins got him in the fouth round - IMO BB should have chosen him.  Jesse Williams of Alabama also could have been ours with either the 3 or 4th round pick, just sayin

I don't think there was a clear impact safety out there at this point in the draft.  I think they are looking for a guy who can contribute on special teams and maybe end up proving he can at least back-up at the safety position. 

It would be great if every pick could be a Ronnie Lott quality player, but there's just not that much exceptional talent out there--and in this draft class, maybe less than usual.  Belichick is trying to get guys who will contribute in some way.  Everybody seemed to agree that this draft was not rich in impact players and that most of the guys were best seen as mid round talent.  Belichick drafted like that's how he assessed the draft too. 

I think with the rookie salary cap, BB will be moving up and drafting high more than he did in the past.  But he's only going to do that when he has enough picks to make moves and when he feels there is clear talent at the top.  In fact, that's what he did last year.  This year he had limited picks and the draft was widely seen as lacking top-tier talent, so BB's strategy ended up being different.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Thomas of San Diego State was superior to this Jersey guy; Shanahan of the Redskins got him in the fouth round - IMO BB should have chosen him.  Jesse Williams of Alabama also could have been ours with either the 3 or 4th round pick, just sayin

And I hope you come back and just say 'What an Idiot I was' when Jesse lands on IR the next two years and Shanahan gets cut. Or when Harmon is our starting safety in the SB in four years.

Not sure any of that will happen, but unless you have a really good crystal ball neither do you. But since you belong to the church of Mel you have faith. Me ... I wonder why 32 teams passed on Williams TWICE between his #50 grade and #137 draft slot. I suspect it had something to do with them actually looking at his medical file and then looking at x-rays and giving him a physical.

Sections
Shortcuts