homerism at all time high

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Re: homerism at all time high

In response to zbellino's comment:

At the end of the day, a draft is a draft. 

You can't evaluate it one way or another until several years pass. Sometimes you make a good trade that nets you value in future selections. Sometimes you make a savvy move to get your guy. By and large, I try to rate drafts based on how well the FO addressed *team building* issues, a.k.a., did they grab talent at positions where they are thin, old, or have expiring contracts?

Don't listen to the homers (who crown every player  a gem and every move genius) or the naysayers who bag on every selection. None of them know how it will pan out. 

I would only venture to say homers are a bit more vexing simply because they are wrong so often (find one, ask him his player by player evaluation and how they will eventually perform, and then measure it against how many kids froma draft actually even wind up staying in the NFL very long).

I don't get too excited one way or another anymore.  In recent years, because of having such a good win/loss record, the Patriots have picked pretty late in each round.   I remember having records bad enough that we had top 10 or so picks almost every year for awhile.    I'm glad we don't draft so early anymore.  :)

In 1993, some Pundits of the day were touting Rick Mirer as being the best QB available but Parcells chose Bledsoe who went on to have a stellar career.    Mirer was kind of a bust at Seattle.    In 1994 the Redskins drafted in front of the Patriots and chose QB Heath Shuler at #3.  The Patriots chose Willie McGinnest at #4.   Of course there were many big named draft picks that were busts for the Patriots.  Arguably, one of Parcells worst picks was Kicker Scott Sisson aka "Missin Sissin" who had a 53% Field Goal Percentage.  I remember, that Parcells had a hard time admitting he had made a mistake and a few games were lost that year because of it.  Regardless, the entire NFL share Draft busts.  That's just the way it goes.  

BTW, for those who want to criticise everything the Patriots do, have at it.  If the team has a bad game I will say they played a bad game but for the most part, I am a "Homer" and proud of it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

people have the right to not feel the draft.   you are hypocrites.   if Sanchez became or number 2 qb  you would not  question it one bit  and commend bb for his genius  and bash  those of us who know sanchez sucks  and don't sugar coat it.   face it  the  Rutgers players would  have  been available in the 7th round.   genius  my  behind.   come  attack  me  you'll prove my point.   please prove my point

u ought to calm down and get off that high horse a bit

ALL fans are "homers" at heart and why is that a bad thing? I don't mean you can't be critical and objective and express disappointment, etc...with your team-of course thats all art of being a fan

but every fan has some blind faith and emotional investment that isn't based on logic and every fan has to believe in his team and give them the benefit of the doubt and convince themselves a bit-why is that wrong? it's part of being a fan and part of the reason you invest your time and heart is that you believe...if not why even be a fan?

as Tug MaGraw once said "Ya Gotta Believe!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wonder if you had taken the time to look at the picks.  The only surprise for me was the passing over of Margus Hunt.  That will be watching material right there.  But Collins is not a stretch where he was taken and was probably dinged some for being part of that terrible So.Miss. team.  Dobson should make the WR crowd very happy.  Ryan Login fills a need and was selected about where he was suppose to go.  Maybe slid some and a solid player.  Every Pat draft has a head scratcher and here you are. Duron Harmon.  I didn't get this one at all.  At least this was a late 3rd round pick.  Josh Boyce was a reach but does fill a need.  Obviously the Pats like the kid and probably thought they needed to strike now or miss on him.  Quinton Patton would have been my guess here.  I don't know what happened with Buchanan.  Huge drop for him.  Pats picked up a nugget here.   Beauharnals was selected about where he should have gone.  No stretch here.  The question is does this fill a need?  Special teams maybe?  It's the Patriots going by their board here for sure.  Need be damned.  

So looking at this it shows the Pats did well in filling some needs and acquiring pretty good players to do so.  Harmon comes from a very good Rutgers defense.  But still I don't get it and this is the pick that will bring down the grade of an otherwise good draft.  The Pats helped themselves.

Now that the draft is over it's back to FAs to fill in the holes.  Lots of good players still out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

of course you have a right to be upset, but any rational fan will wait to see how it plays out before going on a rant like you just did.

Rational fan? A rational fan would go by what they have seen the last 8 years. MEDIOCRE drafting.

a rational fan would give them the benefit of the doubt because of their recent success in drafting players like gronkowski, hernandez, jones, hightower, dennard, spikes, ridley, solder, mayo, etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

of course you have a right to be upset, but any rational fan will wait to see how it plays out before going on a rant like you just did.

Rational fan? A rational fan would go by what they have seen the last 8 years. MEDIOCRE drafting.

a rational fan would give them the benefit of the doubt because of their recent success in drafting players like gronkowski, hernandez, jones, hightower, dennard, spikes, ridley, solder, mayo, etc...

here we actually agree RSF-call the national guard or something!

based on past results coaches, gms and players earn the benefit of the doubt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

The Pats are very talented team that always draft late. In the past ten year the 3 pick the Pats have draft earlier then the 21st pick were Wilfork, Solder, and Mayo. Those are pretty good picks. I don't know why people think they could draft more play makers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

The Pats are very talented team that always draft late. In the past ten year the 3 pick the Pats have draft earlier then the 21st pick were Wilfork, Solder, and Mayo. Those are pretty good picks. I don't know why people think they could draft more play makers.

history will show that good teams, solid franchises-pats, steelers, ravens, giants, colts-always manage to find good players where ever they draft and no how to build a team

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

its because they havent developed a receiver since branch and givens that were really successful here. but that is a bit unfair considering how well they have done in signing free agent receivers and in drafting players in just about every other position besides receiver. corner has also been a struggle, but the dennard pick has helped with that a bit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I guess you didnt see the recent statistical analysis that puts the Pats at something like 4th or 5th in the league over the past 20 years and that a good part of that is due to BB.

Once again - others can point out where he has not done well but when you COMPARE him to the rest of the world (league) he ends up coing out solid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, when you look at this team and the fact that BB has put together the best record in the league over the last 13 years and won 3 SB and made it to two more recently and won all those division titles and have one of the very best offenses every year and have upgraded their D and all the "brains" around the league are impressed by them... well, it is hard not to think highly of the team.

How's your team looking?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Well, when you look at this team and the fact that BB has put together the best record in the league over the last 13 years and won 3 SB and made it to two more recently and won all those division titles and have one of the very best offenses every year and have upgraded their D and all the "brains" around the league are impressed by them... well, it is hard not to think highly of the team.

How's your team looking?

sad thing is, babe is a pats fan and doesnt appreciate how good BB has been here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

How's your team looking?

sad thing is, babe is a pats fan and doesnt appreciate how good BB has been here.

well someone has to balance out Rusty who thinks Bellichick is God!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

people have the right to not feel the draft.   you are hypocrites.   if Sanchez became or number 2 qb  you would not  question it one bit  and commend bb for his genius  and bash  those of us who know sanchez sucks  and don't sugar coat it.   face it  the  Rutgers players would  have  been available in the 7th round.   genius  my  behind.   come  attack  me  you'll prove my point.   please prove my point

Getdrunk you need to change that to IAMPLASTERD DRUNK-first your post is unintelligble. I have NO idea what the heck you are saying! For the love of God make some sense!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I love the use of the term 'mediocre'.  It so accurately describes this team. I mean the team has zero credibility, barely makes it to the .500 mark every year and never contends for the playoffs  much less the SB.  They have no talent at any of the skill positions and experts like Mel Kiper just shake their heads.

That's the kind of post I'd expect from a Jets fan, not a Pats fan.  And, no, it's not just due to Brady, although he may very well be the GOAT.  There's more than a few pretty fair players on both sides of the ball drafted by this team.

Express away - that's what the forum is for.  Have we had several busts at WR and DB?  You bet and I don't like it either but neither am I heading for the ledge nor preparing to do a 1 1/2 gainer.

And, with all due respect, just because I am positive about this team doesn't make me any more of an idiot than someone who is routinely negative about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If the folks here had their way we've have bundled our picks for Honey Badger.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

It's the same each and every year.

The Pats draft a guy (or 2) that isn't on any of the so called expert's mock draft lists, and all of a sudden BB is a horrible GM and the draft is a failure.

Then, right on que, all the whiners and cry babies come out spewing a bunch of useless rantings about these picks, without ever seeing them play a single snap.

And to top it off, we are all accused of being koolaide drinking, BB ball hugging homers, because we aren't getting upset over a couple picks that are no names. Time to sit back and listen to the clowns go into panic mode again....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

How's your team looking?

well someone has to balance out Rusty who thinks Bellichick is God!

well said Mr Sharpton *eye roll*

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Typically, you provide some names as successful that are still a question mark.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I love the use of the term 'mediocre'.  It so accurately describes this team. I mean the team has zero credibility, barely makes it to the .500 mark every year and never contends for the playoffs  much less the SB.  They have no talent at any of the skill positions and experts like Mel Kiper just shake their heads.

That's the kind of post I'd expect from a Jets fan, not a Pats fan.  And, no, it's not just due to Brady, although he may very well be the GOAT.  There's more than a few pretty fair players on both sides of the ball drafted by this team.

Express away - that's what the forum is for.  Have we had several busts at WR and DB?  You bet and I don't like it either but neither am I heading for the ledge nor preparing to do a 1 1/2 gainer.

And, with all due respect, just because I am positive about this team doesn't make me any more of an idiot than someone who is routinely negative about it.

I have never said the team is mediocre.

EVERY team has good/great players. It is obviously the sum total that makes the difference.

I'm more interested in truth than being perceived by kool-aide guzzlers as a "good fan". I give credit where it is due and point fingers where that is due.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

And to top it off, we are all accused of being koolaide drinking, BB ball hugging homers, because we aren't getting upset over a couple picks that are no names.

You are being proclaimed as such because that's what you are, not because of this particular draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

How's your team looking?

Wrong. I exactly appreciate how good BB has been here. Great coach. Little more than an above average GM. Plain as day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

And to top it off, we are all accused of being koolaide drinking, BB ball hugging homers, because we aren't getting upset over a couple picks that are no names.

You are being proclaimed as such because that's what you are, not because of this particular draft.

Back to being a complete moron I see....f you babe.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Well, when you look at this team and the fact that BB has put together the best record in the league over the last 13 years

Brady did that. Don't get it messed up.

If the jets or fish had Brady for these years they would very likely be the ones with those claims. Plain as day to a sober mind.

You WILL learn soon enough.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Back to being a complete moron I see....f you babe.

Righto. Only a moron tells the truth in your world. LMAO@U

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

Gee I hope you feel better.  :(

It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily."So it is.""And freezing.""Is it?""Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Funny