Ouch !! Is this hit going to draw a fine?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ouch !! Is this hit going to draw a fine?

This is the hit when the Bengals punter got his jaw broken. Is a fine coming from Goodell for this hit?It didn't get flagged,but it probably should have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Re: Ouch !! Is this hit going to draw a fine?

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the hit when the Bengals punter got his jaw broken. Is a fine coming from Goodell for this hit?It didn't get flagged,but it probably should have.

[/QUOTE]

Probably yes, a fine will be fiorthcoming. Good hit. Even punters need to be aware that this is a violent game and to protect themselves at all times.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

No penalty?  Clearly led with the helmet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I guess so but I was always told keep your head on the swivel in special teams and being the kicker, he is the last line of defense. He has no business being in the middle of the field and if so, keep your head on a swivel. I never like seeing these hits but just like the sapp hit on Clifton, its within the rules. If there is a fine, its kind of hard to justify. Its a bad hit, no doubt and caused an injury but guys get earholed all the time for not paying attention.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Looks fine to me. Despite the position, if you don't have any business blocking then don't run that way. At that point all positions are treated the same. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This was my opinion about it as well. I thought there should have been a penalty and I believe he'll get a fine.In the past,that would have been considered a great hit and a job well done.In fact,it would have been the lead video in the segment "Jacked Up".Things are looked at differently now though and the rules have changed.We've all seen lesser hits draw huge fines.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

My hockey coach would tell me...you keep skating with your head down don't come crying to me when you get your teeth knocked out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I just saw on ESPN's scroll that the punter also suffered a cracked verterbrae in his neck along with the broken jaw.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndyTony. Show IndyTony's posts

Brutal hit...that's ugly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look again..... he was raising his arms to hit the chest (you know, just about the ONLY part of the body you CAN hit these days). Punter never saw it, and ran into the hit too. He was being blocked, and was NOT the protected ball carrier.

Bengals are gonna really miss him!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look again..... he was raising his arms to hit the chest (you know, just about the ONLY part of the body you CAN hit these days). Punter never saw it, and ran into the hit too. He was being blocked, and was NOT the protected ball carrier.

Bengals are gonna really miss him!  

[/QUOTE]

tough hit but hit with shoulders as much as head, avoided helmet and hit jaw and punter was looking the other way...brutal but fair no fine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

OH MY!!!

Which child-like persona complained to the mods this time...hmmmm...BUST-CHISE or Jints...because he's the biggest weeny on these boards...LMFAO @ BOTH

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great hit! he should have his head on a swivel! I love shots like that! Clean and mean!

That guy has definately learned a valuable lesson. All be it a tough lesson to learn.

POW! RIGHT IN THE KISSER!

[/QUOTE]

With your posts you've obviously had more than a few hits like this yourself.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPN.com:

The hit by a Pittsburgh return team blocker that ended Cincinnati Bengalspunter Kevin Huber's season was an illegal one, Dean Blandino, the NFL's head of officials, said Tuesday night.

The announcement confirmed what many had speculated since watching the violent play unfold in the first quarter of Sunday night's game between the Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers.

"Huber, he's a punter. And the key is he's defenseless throughout the down," Blandino said on NFL Network.

As Huber was trying to help seal a hole duringAntonio Brown's punt return, Steelers return team blocker Terence Garvin unleashed a hard blindside hit on him. Garvin's helmet caught the bottom of Huber's face mask just before the kicker flew to the turf. Although he eventually got up and jogged off the field with gauze in his mouth, Huber ended up suffering a broken jaw and cracked vertebrae on the play. Placed on injured reserve Tuesday, his season is now over.

"Even though he's pursuing the play, he still gets defenseless-player protection. You can't hit him in the head or neck, and you can't use the crown or forehead parts of the helmet to the body."

Blandino said Garvin should have been handed a personal foul penalty. No penalty of any kind was awarded. Instead, Brown flashed through the hole Garvin's hit helped open and ended up going virtually untouched 67 yards for a touchdown. The score pushed the Steelers' early lead to 21-0. Cincinnati's desperate comeback bid ultimately fell short. The Bengals ended up losing, 30-20.

[+] EnlargeKevin Huber AP Photo/Gene J. PuskarBengals punter Kevin Huber suffered a broken jaw and a cracked vertebra in his neck as a result of a blindside hit Sunday by the Steelers' Terence Garvin.

"You'll see the close-up where you can see the contact to the head or neck area," Blandino said. "So this will certainly be a point of emphasis this week, especially with our referees who are responsible for the punter on plays like this.

"We want to flag hits like that."

Garvin likely will be fined by the league for the hit this week.

To fill Huber's roster spot, the Bengals signed former Bills punter Shawn Powell. The Florida State product was a consensus All-America selection before being signed by Buffalo as an undrafted free agent in April 2012. He was released by Buffalo on Oct. 4, one day after Cleveland's Travis Benjamin took a punt back for a touchdown and was a Powell tackle away from breaking another

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

How can anyone call that a blind side hit? Garvin was sqauared up to Huber and hit him hard but cleanly. Just because Huber had his head turned and didn't see Garvin doesn't mean he was blind-sided. It's too bad Huber was injured but this doesn't deserve a fine imo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

You can’t lead with your helmet and you can’t strike someone’s head. Huber not only had his jaw smashed he also has a crack in one neck vertebra meaning the guy technically has a broken neck too. He came very close to being paralyzed. The fine needs to be substantial.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, that's a bad hit. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can’t lead with your helmet and you can’t strike someone’s head. Huber not only had his jaw smashed he also has a crack in one neck vertebra meaning the guy technically has a broken neck too. He came very close to being paralyzed. The fine needs to be substantial.

[/QUOTE]

as brutal as it was to me it was clean. Hit with shoulder as much as helmet and hit jaw not helmet. Also returner was right there coming and punter was there as player to be blocked like any other potential tackler at that point. The injury is nasty and Huber a tough guy and to me a hard legal football play. Steve Weatherford said as much on Mike and Mike this morning

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea how this was missed and it wasn't a penalty.   It's what they are trying to get out of the game. If he just leans in with the shoulder at chest level, it's fine.

Note when the Steelers are involved, the penalties or fines are always reduced.

[/QUOTE]

note that when Rusty is involved there will be conspiracy BS and rampant homerism ...for example if a Pats player did this it would have been a good clean hit and any fine proof that the entire universe is against them

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

That was just a football play. The punter was trying to get close to tackle the return guy.  If punters are considered defenseless they should have to run off of the field after punting and not be allowed to pursue the ballcarrier

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It reminded me of Cooke's hit on Savard. I saw it as another cheap shot to the head of a guy looking away. To those who liked the hit, how would you like it if your kid or somebody like Tom Brady was paralyzed for life by a hit like that?

Sections
Shortcuts