09 season predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: 09 season predictions

In Response to Re: 09 season predictions:
    [QUOTE]Underdogg are you f8cking kidding? Are you really trying to suggest that Jay Cutler is in the same league as Tom Brady? really? Cutler cant even hold Brady's jock strape. He puts up great stats but stats dont win games. Incase you didnt notice for all his passing yards Cutler cant get it down in the end zone. He cant put points on the board. The Bears are getting no respect because they deserve no respect. They went out and gave up two first round picks and a QB for a guy who has won nothing since he has been in the NFL. They have a p*ssy of a head coach in Lovie Smith, they have one good player on offense in Matt Forte and no WRs. They have a semi good defense, as in it was good 3 years ago and sh*tty last season. Bringing in Jay Cutler does not make them a super bowl team, not even close. Tom Brady had a super bowl MVP by the time he was 22 years old and Cutler has....nothing except the fact that he cried his way out of Denver like a little b*tch.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Cutler's not as good as a young Tom Brady?  I disagree.  Tom Brady earned his first probowl at 24.  Cutler was 25. 

Do you really think a QB can vault his entire team to the superbowl without a defense?  It is highly unlikely and has NEVER been the case with the pats and Brady.

Lovie Smith is not Belichick, I will grant you that but he has been to a superbowl with a worse QB than he's got now.  If Chicago's D is good (as has been suggested), they absolutely have a shot.  My comparison given the criteria was appropriate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: 09 season predictions:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 09 season predictions : Cutler's not as good as a young Tom Brady?  I disagree.  Tom Brady earned his first probowl at 24.  Cutler was 25.  Do you really think a QB can vault his entire team to the superbowl without a defense?  It is highly unlikely and has NEVER been the case with the pats and Brady.   Lovie Smith is not Belichick, I will grant you that but he has been to a superbowl with a worse QB than he's got now.  If Chicago's D is good (as has been suggested), they absolutely have a shot.  My comparison given the criteria was appropriate.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Kinda sorta along the lines of can a quarterback vault him entire team to the SB, read this article: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2769_The_Mad_Bombers%3A_QBs_who_can_%27carry_a_team%27.html

Here is a snippet:

Top 20 QBs When Asked to Carry a Team
    (min. 10 games; includes postseason)
    Quarterback
    W
    L
    T
    Pct.
    Daryle Lamonica
    Tom Brady
    Bart Starr
    Bill Nelsen
    Billy Wade
    Johnny Unitas
    Y.A. Tittle
    Steve Young
    Donovan McNabb
    Danny White
    George Blanda
    Jack Kemp
    Rich Gannon
    Dan Marino
    Ken Stabler
    Al Dorow
    Erik Kramer
    Fran Tarkenton
    Joe Montana
    Bert Jones

Where does Peyton sit?  

Interestingly, with the notable exception of McNabb, the winning percentage of quarterbacks who can “carry a team” mirrors the order in CHFF’s list fairly closely. (Records include postseason):
    • Brady – 17-8 (.680)
    • McNabb – 17-14-1 (.547)
    • Roethlisberger – 4-5 (.444)
    • Warner – 15-24 (.385)
    • P. Manning – 18-31 (.367)
    • Rivers – 2-5 (.286)
    • Brees – 10-28 (.263)
    • Pennington – 2-6 (.250)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Underdogg, do you think that they'll be saying this about Cutler in a few years:

1. Tom Brady
    Type of Quarterback: Steam Shovel of Efficiency

Career: 2,301 of 3,653, 63.0%, 26,446 yards, 7.2 YPA, 197 TD, 86 INT, 92.9 passer rating
    Best year: (2007) 398 of 578, 68.9%, 4,806 yards, 8.3 YPA, 50 TD, 8 INT, 117.2 passer rating
    Last year: 7 of 11, 63.5% 76 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 83.9 passer rating

The Cold, Hard Football Fact: Tom Brady's 2.3-to-1 ratio of TDs to INTs is the best in pro football historyHis regular-season (87-24) and postseason (14-3) records as a starter are each the best among active quarterbacks.

The straight dope: Some bloom has come off the Brady rose over the past couple seasons. His brilliant, record-setting 2007 campaign ended with one of the great offensive clunkers in the history of the game in Super Bowl XLII, and last year his season was over a few minutes after it started. But even if he never takes another snap, his rise from unknown back-up to elite, championship-winning statistical juggernaut has been the singular storyline of the first decade of the 21st century.

He’s won all the hardware imaginable, and his career 92.9 passer rating is fourth all time, and best among any cold-weather quarterback. We can only imagine what his numbers might look like had he the benefit of playing in a stat-ballooning dome or anywhere but arguably the worst-weather arena in the game.

His return from injury, meanwhile, will be the singular storyline of the 2009 season. No player in the game today is a bigger difference maker in the eyes of pro football observers or oddsmakers, or in the irrefutable findings of the Cold, Hard Football Facts.

His 2007 season was arguably the most explosive in the history of the game. But Brady's greatest attributes are his efficiency, his care with the ball and his remarkable consistency. The greatest part of his 50-TD season, for example, was that he threw just 8 INTs, despite slinging the ball all over the field game after game. His rate of 2.3 TDs for every INT is unmatched by any quarterback. And even when he doesn't light the world on fire every game or every week, the duds are fewer and farther between than they are with any other QB in the game today. That consistency at quarterback over the past decade is the single biggest reason why the Patriots have been the most consistent winners in football over the past decade.

The outlook for 2009: If the Patriots find a way to improve their dreadful pass defense, the return of Brady makes them obvious favorites to win their fourth Super Bowl of the decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I should post Peyton's section out of fairness.  Don't get me wrong, despite the jabs, Peyton is one of the greatest QB's to play the game.  Right behind Brady...

4. Peyton Manning
    Type of Quarterback: Prolific Stat Monster

Career: 3,839 of 5,960, 64.4%, 45,628 yards, 7.7 YPA, 333 TD, 165 INT, 94.7 rating
    Best year: (2004) 336 of 497, 67.6%, 4,557 yards, 9.2 YPA, 49 TD, 10 INT, 121.1 rating
    Last year: 371 of 555, 66.8%, 4,002 yards, 7.2 YPA, 27 TD, 12 INT, 95.0 rating

The Cold, Hard Football Fact: Manning is second all time in career passer rating (94.7), behind only Steve Young (96.8).

The straight dope: Manning has put up such mountainous numbers that we get vertigo just looking up at them. You know the story: There’s a very good chance – assuming he stays healthy – that he’ll top the leaderboard in every major passing category in the history of the game. He’s also never missed a game in an 11-year career,  proving to be one of the great NFL ironmen. And he makes funny commercials. (are you shi#tting me?)

You know the other story, too: the knock on Manning has always been that he’s not the same quarterback in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. And it’s literally impossible to argue with that assessment. Manning’s Colts are 117-59 (.665) in the regular season, which makes him one of the winningest quarterbacks in the history of the game. Yet Manning’s Colts are a mere 7-8 (.467) in the postseason and have so many one-and-dones (a shocking six) that the organization should take out a patent on them. The Colts, for example, are 25-7 over the past two seasons – and failed to win a single playoff game.

Manning has also reserved the worst games of his career for the playoffs, dropping statistical clunkers in the 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006 postseasons. His fans exhibit the same symptoms displayed by members of the Cult of Dan, crediting Manning for all of Indy's regular-season success and blaming everybody else for the team's poor postseason record. But even Indy fans, and factless Manning nut-scrubbers like Pete Prisco, can't explain away the dreadful 13.6 PPG the Colts have scored in their eight Manning Era playoff losses.

This failure to replicate his regular-season success in the postseason is the big difference between Manning and the top three quarterbacks in the game today.

The outlook for 2009: It’s a year of huge changes in Indy. But one thing will remain constant: the Colts will be a regular-season force as long as Peyton is taking the snaps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Cutler is a cry baby, not a leader. Big arm, small brain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

My playoff teams for 2009

AFC
    New England
    Pittsburgh
    San Diego
    Houston
    Indianapolis
    Tennessee

NFC
    Philadelphia
    Atlanta
    Green Bay
    Arizona
    Minnesota
    New York

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Cutler is already showing his cards.  He now wants to provide input on the final roster.  While it may be true that a coach will get feedback from an established QB on the team, can you imagine Brady saying the following in an interview:

After Wednesday's last full-pads practice of the week before theBears scale it down in preparation for Saturday night's preseason opener against the Bills, quarterback Jay Cutler was asked if he would offer an opinion on whom he wants on the final roster. "Oh yeah," Cutler said. "I think they're definitely going to ask me. If they don't ask me, I'm going to tell them what I think because I've got to be the one throwing to them on game day, and I've got to trust them."

Daily Herald

Sections
Shortcuts