#1 Defense NE Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: #1 Defense NE Patriots

In response to neinmd's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Interesting viewpoint. What are the best benchmarks, then, to measure the effectiveness of BB's defensive strategy, if we buy into this notion? Other than point differential?

Point differential, when it really counts to both head coaches during the first three quarters and sometimes late in the game also, is the gold standard.  It says that two teams tried their hardest to lay in extra chances to win the game, and one team was either a little better or way better.  Point differential covers almost every angle that the coaches use to gain advantage, from kickoff defense to working the last seconds of the clock just before halftime.  At the end of the game, one side tries desperate measures and occasionally the dice come up double sixes, but one double six roll isn't a statistically significant measure that the dice will roll double sixes next time.

I've heard that the average interception is worth about 40 yards, but there are excellent interceptions and marginal interceptions.  If the Pats have a third and 25 and Brady heaves the ball 40 yards downfield toward Randy Moss in 2008 or Dobson now, that's a pretty good play.  If a defensive player makes the interception he gets tackled 40 yards downfield, with the same result as if the team had punted on fourth down.  If Moss/Dobson makes the catch it's a first down.  Equal standards apply if a team is down two scores with four minutes to go.  Throw it into traffic or else you lose.  The Patriots' 20 interceptions aren't super significant because they've been picking off too many of the opponents' hail marys.

On a first and ten or especially on a second and one, an interception of a short pass hurts quite a bit more than on third and 25.  Then there's the dreaded pick-six, worth at least two normal interceptions.

Most interceptions aren't related to the backfield's stellar play.  Some are caused by overly tall defensive linemen (Chandler Jones is a prototype) tipping the ball.  Some are caused by rushers pressuring the quarterback and causing a hurried throw into traffic.  A defensive gambit that causes an offensive lapse may be the cause.  Some interceptions are caused when a defensive player reads the play, it's been called one too many times, and jumps the route.  A linebacker timing the snap count can cause an interception. 

All in all, counting ints is slightly better than nothing, but a far better stat could be crafted. 

Defensive yardage is another problem.  On third and 9, giving up 7 yards is a victory.  The whole field should be partitioned into meaningful yardage sectors, where a ten yard gain far from field goal range is less meaningful than a ten yard gain that gets the team just about into field goal range, and where a trip from the opponent's 25 yard line to his 15 is far less meaningful than a first down trip from the opponent's 11 to his 1.  Then comes the inevitable dive over the top, which is a really big defensive yard if the defense ever stops it. 

If I ran an NFL team I'd have tons of more meaningful stats, where the calling of every play was designed to maximize my team's chances of eventually winning the game.  We peons on the outside don't have those numbers.  What we have are the numbers which are easiest to calculate.  That doesn't mean the numbers are any good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"You don't just coast into Purdue. Great engineering school, arguably the best in the midwest."

lol,  That's why I went there....and I'm in my 40's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

His Browns defense was the best in the league by his third season as coach, his Giant's defense has a section in the Hall Of Fame, go check it out, his Patriot's defense as a coordinator got them to the Super Bowl when Parcells alone couldn't get the team over 500%, his defense as head coach of the Pats was the same one Pete Carroll inherited with nothing to show for it.  

Of course BB the GM did draft Richard Seymour, maybe the preeminent defensive tackle of his generation to start as a rookie on a championship caliber defense but then what does Belichick know, he is a terrible GM right...

BB/Pioli did get a winner in Seymour through his rookie contract (then he kicked back once he got the $$$).

His 5-11 season after taking over Carroll's team (which hadn't had a losing season in3 years) got him that top 6 draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

Funny how every argument you present has fine print at the bottom to explain why Belichick doesn't deserve credit for drafting Brady, Seymour, having the winningst record over the past decade etc... etc...

"You are what your record says you are..." didn't your favorite coach Parcells say that?

It's amazing how he's been able to stumble and bumble his way into one of the most impressive records ever.

[/QUOTE]

Parcells isn't my favorite coach.

I just gave him credit for drafting Seymour.

And Brady was the luckiest draft pick in history. (credit Dick Rehbein for that one anyway)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

"but they don't get to the passer fast enough"

Don't we all love the dreaded 3-man rush.  It seems to fail in every big 3rd and long situation.  Yet we keep going with it.

Yet, they've led the NFL in turnovers the last 3 years, cumulatively or the AFC outright 3 years in a row.

See, what you don't get is the idea BB is way, way smarter than you. We didn't have INTs or fumbles at will from 2001-2004 like that (minus 2003) where they baited the other  team's offense.  Conceptually, though, he wants to stop the run, and then when it's 3rd and 7 or worse, force the QB to hold the ball or maybe make a mistake.  That's the recipe.  It's not about looking fast or cool trying to tackle in the backfield over and over or sack the QB. BB doesn't want that.  It's strategy.  This is why he passed on Clay Matthews or Carlos Dunlap.   He knows it's more about just pinning your ears back and going like a bat out of hell. It's cerebral.

They'd hold to FGs or force punts, most of the time with the bend/don't break approach. They'd mix zones and man to confuse QBs.

See, your problem is, this is well, well above your head. Well above it. Anyone can field very fast or strong athletes, but it doesn't hold up.  Look at Dungy in Indy. Major fair. Guy had speed all over but had no focus.  It was basically an NCAA D on coke.  What did it get Indy? Barely a title but Dungy was a defensive guy? Wow! All hail Dungy! LMAO  It might in the NCAA or CFL Corks, but it won't in the NFL.

BB is such a genius, you mock his approach, which makes this sad, scary, but also comical.

Do you know anything about the team you are supposedly a fan of? What a complete idiot you are.

The moron that is telling someone that BB is way way smarter is the same moron that is constantly crying about BB's directive TO SCORE POINTS.  Aside from being an idiot, you're also a moron.  Let's take a quick look at the patsies turnovers in the "glory years" of 2001-2004 compared to that awful turnover ridden shotgun spread offense that BB uses now.

2001  15 Ints / 13 fum

2002   14 Int/ 10 fum

2003   13 INTs /11 fum

2004  14 INTs /13 fum

2012  9 Ints /7 fum

We know that you're too dumb to learn the game, but start with trying to learn your team.

[/QUOTE]

What was Brady's TD/INT ratio in the postseason in those years?  Why aren't you showing the 2010 or 2011 seasons for defensive turnovers?  Why did you leave those years out?  LOL!

Also, what's funny is, a very young D the last few years outperformed veteran Ds for us in the dynasty era in the turnover department, hence why NE has the AFC the last 3 years in turnovers and the NFL overall in the last 3 years, cumulatlively.

LOL!

You lose again. Brady wasn't god awful from 2001-2004 in the postseason offsetting any turnovers those Ds got. The last 5 years, it's almost like he's tried to throw games away.  it's actually been uncomfortable to watch, almost like he's been paid off to try to do it.

Look, we all now why you overrate Brady here, and it's because BB left you at the altar. Making excuses for god awful QB play in recent postseasons and putting on BB is a joke.

[/QUOTE]

not only do you say Brady is the cause if our ills, but you now insinuate Brady was paid off to lose games? Are you completely out of your mind?  I am going to buy you a tinfoil hat with a number 12 Painted on the side to wear when you watch pats games. Serious Russ, even for you this is over the edge and into the abyss.

[/QUOTE]

Not only that, he lies about the Pats leading the NFL in T/O's.  They lead the lead in T/O differential, NOT TURN OVERS.  Apparently he doesn't know the difference.

Also the 2011 Pats got 1 INT in the post season compared to say, 7 for the 2004 D.  They also had 1 fumble recovery compared to 4 in 2004.  That's 11 to's for 2004 and 2 for 2011.

Talk about SUCKING in the post season. (And at the only thing they were supposed to be good at)  Nothing but a mirage and benefiting from the O's domination, which totally explains low or no to's against good offenses and or, in games where the O faltered.

No big lead=no INT's PERIOD!

Funny how he notes and notes and notes offensive INTs in the play-offs, but NEVER mentions the total and complete absence of them defensively.

Fake, phoney, fraud!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Parcells isn't my favorite coach

And Brady was the luckiest draft pick in history. (credit Dick Rehbein for that one anyway)

So Bill catches hell for bad draft choices but gets no credit for the positive ones...

Got it... don't you see how silly this is?  

Belichick could have passed on Brady, could have waited for him to go undrafted (and he would have), BB has a say in all football related decisions, he chose Brady. Period.  Taking away all of Belichicks best draft picks just because you don't like him makes you look foolish.  

History will record that Bill Belichick drafted Tom Brady, all your self hatred (assuming you're actually a Pat's fan and not some plant by BDC to increase posts) will not change that.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Can't see it, can't trust this defense with Ninkovich as a starting DE. Gotta see someone step up and take it from him!

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

Shhhhhh.....Rusty thinks he's Mike Vrabel.

No, imbecile, I said he's a jack of all trades kind of LB, BB loves him and he's like a Vrabel "JUNIOR".

The word "JUNIOR" to educated people reading would understand that he's not quite Vrabel, but reminiscent of that kind of player.

You idiots are morons. He had more sacks and INTs than JPP last year.

He's a gamer and all around the ball. Is he a star? No.  

It's still insulting to mention Ninkovich in the same breath as Vrabel. "Junior" or not.

It's not insulting at all.  Vrabel got better as he went. So has Nink. The difference was Vrabel was around a slew of experienced players with continuity and some HOFers.  Nink hasn't had that opportunity.

It's right there in front of all of us.  Vrabel, as good as he was, look who he played around and the foundation he was in compared to Nink.

It's not like Vrabel ascended in 2002 to help our crappy D. He was also cut by Pitt before coming here. 

If Nink had been part of a 2011 D in SB 46 that didn't get let down by our offense, with a ring on his finger, would you think Vrabel of 2003 is any different than Nink of 2011?

I wouldn't. 

Even if you look at Nink's junior and senior years a Purdue, not only comparable to Vrabel's at OSU, but arguably better.

Again, I am not saying Nink = Vrabel, just that it's VERY CLEAR BB uses him similarly and the responsiblities and results are similar, week in and week out.

It's a disgrace for TCal, as dumb as he his as a 50 year old in here, to refer to him as "Dink". Nink is a guy who was too poor to go to college and eventually found his way into Purdue. You don't just coast into Purdue. Great engineering school, arguably the best in the midwest.

BB loves cerebral players.

I don't like the comparison with these two. Vrabel was taller, had those long arms, pass rushed better, set the edge better and even played middle linebacker for a stretch for us (pretty well too). Nink I must say finished very strong for us last year, but there was a time where that guy was not able to take advantage of what Chandler was doing on the other side. There was some games where he got blown so far off the ball in the running game that he nearly knocked over a porter potty in the parking lot...that never happened to Vrabel.

As far as I know Vrabel was never cut from Pitt (he just didn't get resigned as a free agent), in fact when free agency began the pats jumped all over him. Comparing these two athletically is also a huge stretch...Vrabel was an athlete...he made some catches at tight end that required some real balance, speed and flexibility. Nink ran a 4.9...think about that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Precious...he passed on Mathews and Dunlap because he wants more of a cerebral player....hhmm well, I would take Dunlap over Cunningham everyday, and throw in Mathews as well. Can never have enough pin your ears back morons on the team. 

As for #1...the potential is there but I still think they need a dominant DT who can push the pocket. Don't get me wrong , vince and Kelly are good, Vince great, but I really wish we had a 5 tech de where we could play Vince, kelly and that guy, use jones and Collins outside, mayo and Hightower inside. 

Gladys, those guys are 4-3 players. He wasn't planning on playing 4-3 in 2010.  As you can see, GB's edge D is horrendous with Matthews in there. Great pass rusher, great strong side OLB to cause havoc, but what a liability as a run defender or pass defender. When GB buckles and overpays,, watch out.   Teams just run at him all night.  Dunlap might be able to turn into a 3-4 OLB, but I doubt it. Too dumb. Not committed.

BB likes 3 down players for a 3-4 player. He doesn't want an edge player who can't stop the run or who is limited or not committed.

Cunningham is willing to be coached up even if not as effective as Dunlap. Let the Bengals be the Bengals.

As weak an argument as I've ever seen. Those guys were 43 players coming out? Yeah, that would lump them together with...everyone.

To even use Cunningham in a paragraph when discussing edge players, or 34 players is a joke. Give Belichick Dunlap or Mathews and he will do just fine with them, thank you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't like the comparison with these two. 

Vrabel had the luxury of playing linebacker in the 3/4, Ninc has been at a disadvantage playing end in a four man front.  There's no way to compare them fairly until Rob has a chance to play standing up with some real down lineman in front of him.  This year he should be a lot more productive if they make the switch to more 3 man fronts and he gets to play his natural position at outside linebacker.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

As weak an argument as I've ever seen. Those guys were 43 players coming out? Yeah, that would lump them together with...everyone.

To even use Cunningham in a paragraph when discussing edge players, or 34 players is a joke. Give Belichick Dunlap or Mathews and he will do just fine with them, thank you.

plus, run defense isn't as critical as pass rush and pass defense

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

plus, run defense isn't as critical as pass rush and pass defense

Who says?  I may not agree with Rusty but this declaration is doo doo.  If I can run on you than I don't have to pass.  We beat the Peyton Manning Colts over and over for this very reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"If Nink had been part of a 2011 D in SB 46 that didn't get let down by our offense, with a ring on his finger, would you think Vrabel of 2003 is any different than Nink of 2011?"

OK Farmer Ted let me remind you of what your Boy Dink did in Super Bowl 46 since you seem to forget.  He's the tard that jumped off sides late in the game which negated our only INT that was deep in Giant territory.  That along with Welker’s drop are the 2 biggest plays that lost us the game.  CAPISCE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

"If Nink had been part of a 2011 D in SB 46 that didn't get let down by our offense, with a ring on his finger, would you think Vrabel of 2003 is any different than Nink of 2011?"

OK Farmer Ted let me remind you of what your Boy Dink did in Super Bowl 46 since you seem to forget.  He's the tard that jumped off sides late in the game which negated our only INT that was deep in Giant territory.  That along with Welker’s drop are the 2 biggest plays that lost us the game.  CAPISCE

Nink was our best defender against the Texans in the playoffs, he pulled down an INT, recorded the only sack, recovered the onside kick late in the game and piled up tackles... are we really saying he is no good either?

Move him back to linebacker in the 3/4 and he's one of our best defenders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nink was our best defender against the Texans in the playoffs, he pulled down an INT, recorded the only sack, recovered the onside kick late in the game and piled up tackles... are we really saying he is no good either?

Move him back to linebacker in the 3/4 and he's one of our best defenders.

I've learned to like Nink...he tries hard, he is one of those guys you root for, but I think he would be exposed in space outside. I've got to think the reason they've drafted Collins, Hightower, Cunningham and Chandler is in part because they don't think Nink is one of our best defenders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I've learned to like Nink...he tries hard, he is one of those guys you root for, but I think he would be exposed in space outside. I've got to think the reason they've drafted Collins, Hightower, Cunningham and Chandler is in part because they don't think Nink is one of our best defenders.

Belichick knows Nink is one of his best defenders, in fact he called him the team's best pass rusher last year and that's why he is starting.  Nink has suffered along with the rest of the linebackers playing out of position, if he was moved outside in the 3/4 he would be impossible to block on the pass rush.  To this point he has been playing end, mismatched against O Tackles who weigh 50-70+ pounds more than he and he still ranks among our best pass rushers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

I doubt the Patriots will have the #1 total defense in the league this year.  You must be tokin...pun intended.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

I doubt the Patriots will have the #1 total defense in the league this year.  You must be tokin...pun intended.

Bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Would be nice, to go along with our #1 offense

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

So Bill catches hell for bad draft choices but gets no credit for the positive ones...

Belichick could have passed on Brady, could have waited for him to go undrafted (and he would have), BB has a say in all football related decisions, he chose Brady. Period.  Taking away all of Belichicks best draft picks just because you don't like him makes you look foolish.  

History will record that Bill Belichick drafted Tom Brady, all your self hatred (assuming you're actually a Pat's fan and not some plant by BDC to increase posts) will not change that.  

[/QUOTE]

As I have REPEATEDLY stated; I don't credit or discredit picks after the 4th round. If you get something there, great; if you don't, I'm not going to slam that.

You and nobody else has ever heard me praise or frown on any pick after the 4th round, because it's all luck at that point.

I've never said I dislike BB. I'm not shy about things like that. I don't like Branch or Seymour and have stated that plainly many times. If I didn't like BB I would say so. Actually, he's the kind of weirdo I would like when others don't. I say he is a meh GM because he is. I say he is a great coach because he is. Though I started saying this long before anybody else about his GMing, there are now many who agree, because it's now obvious.

And you are 100 million miles off base about me and BDC. If I had any position with BDC Rusy would be banned 100 times a day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We have the worst online fans on earth.

And you are the worst of them all. Who else is obsessed with slamming the greatest player in team history?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I have REPEATEDLY stated; I don't credit or discredit picks after the 4th round. If you get something there, great; if you don't, I'm not going to slam that.

[/QUOTE]

It is how depth is built on a 53 man roster. It is a very important part of team building and takes just as much draft prep as any other round.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndyTony. Show IndyTony's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"but they don't get to the passer fast enough"

Don't we all love the dreaded 3-man rush.  It seems to fail in every big 3rd and long situation.  Yet we keep going with it.

Yet, they've led the NFL in turnovers the last 3 years, cumulatively or the AFC outright 3 years in a row.

See, what you don't get is the idea BB is way, way smarter than you. We didn't have INTs or fumbles at will from 2001-2004 like that (minus 2003) where they baited the other  team's offense.  Conceptually, though, he wants to stop the run, and then when it's 3rd and 7 or worse, force the QB to hold the ball or maybe make a mistake.  That's the recipe.  It's not about looking fast or cool trying to tackle in the backfield over and over or sack the QB. BB doesn't want that.  It's strategy.  This is why he passed on Clay Matthews or Carlos Dunlap.   He knows it's more about just pinning your ears back and going like a bat out of hell. It's cerebral.

They'd hold to FGs or force punts, most of the time with the bend/don't break approach. They'd mix zones and man to confuse QBs.

See, your problem is, this is well, well above your head. Well above it. Anyone can field very fast or strong athletes, but it doesn't hold up.  Look at Dungy in Indy. Major fair. Guy had speed all over but had no focus.  It was basically an NCAA D on coke.  What did it get Indy? Barely a title but Dungy was a defensive guy? Wow! All hail Dungy! LMAO  It might in the NCAA or CFL Corks, but it won't in the NFL.

BB is such a genius, you mock his approach, which makes this sad, scary, but also comical.

Do you know anything about the team you are supposedly a fan of? What a complete idiot you are.

The moron that is telling someone that BB is way way smarter is the same moron that is constantly crying about BB's directive TO SCORE POINTS.  Aside from being an idiot, you're also a moron.  Let's take a quick look at the patsies turnovers in the "glory years" of 2001-2004 compared to that awful turnover ridden shotgun spread offense that BB uses now.

2001  15 Ints / 13 fum

2002   14 Int/ 10 fum

2003   13 INTs /11 fum

2004  14 INTs /13 fum

2012  9 Ints /7 fum

We know that you're too dumb to learn the game, but start with trying to learn your team.

[/QUOTE]

What was Brady's TD/INT ratio in the postseason in those years?  Why aren't you showing the 2010 or 2011 seasons for defensive turnovers?  Why did you leave those years out?  LOL!

Also, what's funny is, a very young D the last few years outperformed veteran Ds for us in the dynasty era in the turnover department, hence why NE has the AFC the last 3 years in turnovers and the NFL overall in the last 3 years, cumulatlively.

LOL!

You lose again. Brady wasn't god awful from 2001-2004 in the postseason offsetting any turnovers those Ds got. The last 5 years, it's almost like he's tried to throw games away.  it's actually been uncomfortable to watch, almost like he's been paid off to try to do it.

Look, we all now why you overrate Brady here, and it's because BB left you at the altar. Making excuses for god awful QB play in recent postseasons and putting on BB is a joke.

[/QUOTE]

yes, Queenie, "outperformed"  - unless you consider 'performing' not giving up game losing drives in big games and giving up fewer points...  you keep saying that's the most importatnt thing, right?

Bludgeoned! What a loser you are.  

[/QUOTE]

"importatnt"?

LOL!

1. Empty stable: The current running-back situation isn't good. Chris Ivory (hamstring) still hasn't practiced, Mike Goodson isn't in camp (no one is saying when or if he'll show up) and Joe McKnight seems to develop a daily ailment, leaving Bilal Powell and John Griffin. Actually, Griffin has demonstrated some cut-back ability, but they'll need the big dogs to make this running game go.

2. Tone time running out: WR Santonio Holmes continues to rehab his surgically repaired foot, but people in the organization are losing confidence that he'll be ready for Week 1. This is troublesome, although not unexpected.

3. Q's transition: Quinton Coples, a down lineman his entire college and pro career, is learning to play on his feet as an outside linebacker in the base defense. As expected, he has encountered some hiccups. Ryan noted that Coples stepped up his aggressiveness in Monday's practice, perhaps a sign that he's turning the corner. "You move a guy to a different spot, sometimes you're thinking too much," Ryan said. "It's hard to be physical if you're thinking a lot."

[/QUOTE]

BTW, just read Coples is now out 3-4 weeks with a hairline fracture in his ankle...That can't possibly help..Also, Rusty gotta give you props..you were the first person on this board I heard banging the table hard for Tommy Kelly and I gotta say he looks like a real difference maker on our D line..He's showed up really well in both games ...That push up the middle between him and Fork has potential to be DEADLY for opposing qbs...This D may be the best we've seen in years ...3 more weeks til the real thing.... GO PATS!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Tomhab's comment:

I think the Bend Don't Break D is fine during the reaular season when your racking up 30 point a game.   But it's kind of obvious by now that is doesn't work in the playoffs when the competitions gets tougher and every play is a must make inside he 40 yard line. 

Give me a top 5 D and a top 10 Offense this year and we'll make another run at the Superbowl and that's all we can ask for.

We did win three rings with bend don't break...

Really you think the 2004 2nd ranked D was BDB?  Me thinks Romeo would disagree with that Statement!

Please give me that D this year...

[/QUOTE]

The defensive philosophy hasn't changed in all Belichick's time here, in fact since he was a defensive coordinator.  Defenders don't consider yards, they keep plays in front of them, give up short plays but avoid the big play, they were better in yards allowed in 2003 than 04' but the amount of yards is inconsequential in comparison to points allowed.

[/QUOTE]

Bll has a sign hanging in the locker room for defenders. It says: "Get the ball back for the offense."

Saying he doesn't care about yards is ridiculous. 

BB has said stats are over-rated, but in the sense that ... what does it matter if you intercepted the ball three times, if you gave up four TDs. Or who cares that you had 500 yards of offense if you tuned the ball over 4 times and lost.

Not ... hey you gave up 40 minutes of clock time because you couldn't close a 3rd down ... but that's ok. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The DB's, other then Talib, still scare me.  The front 7 looked awesome.

Thing is our #1 Offense lead by Tom Brady will have many more weapons this year and won't collapse with an injury.....like the last 2 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Like most I'm excited about this year's D and also like most I'm concerned about DT depth.

I'd like to see the Pats offer a mid-round pick to the Vikes for Kevin Williams. He's in the final year of his deal and likely not back in Minny next year. They have some young DT's with potential and for the right price maybe Williams becomes available.

While like Wilfork and Kelly he's in his early 30's he's also still a good player of legit starting caliber. He's also able to generate inside pass rush and has always been solid against the run. Their ages notwithstanding that group of 3 would arguably be the best rotation at DT in the league.

The Vikes are also lacking a good #2 back behind Peterson and really have since Chester Taylor left, especially a third down back type. Either Bolden or Blount, if one is out anyway, would be an upgrade for them over Gerhart.

Just sayin. Could help both teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

As I have REPEATEDLY stated; I don't credit or discredit picks after the 4th round.If you get something there, great; if you don't, I'm not going to slam that.

[/QUOTE]

It is how depth is built on a 53 man roster. It is a very important part of team building and takes just as much draft prep as any other round.

[/QUOTE]

Right, the last 125 players chosen are nearly as important as the first 125 players chosen, and an equal amount of resources are expended to research those picks. Makes perfect sense. That's because the bottom 20 spots on a roster make such a big difference to the eventual fate of a team, right? Thank you for your astute football observation.

(And people wonder why I so liberally used the S-word in the past.)

Sections
Shortcuts