#1 Defense NE Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: #1 Defense NE Patriots

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

So Bill catches hell for bad draft choices but gets no credit for the positive ones...

Got it... don't you see how silly this is?  

Belichick could have passed on Brady, could have waited for him to go undrafted (and he would have), BB has a say in all football related decisions, he chose Brady. Period.  Taking away all of Belichicks best draft picks just because you don't like him makes you look foolish.  

History will record that Bill Belichick drafted Tom Brady, all your self hatred (assuming you're actually a Pat's fan and not some plant by BDC to increase posts) will not change that.  

As I have REPEATEDLY stated; I don't credit or discredit picks after the 4th round.If you get something there, great; if you don't, I'm not going to slam that.

[/QUOTE]

It is how depth is built on a 53 man roster. It is a very important part of team building and takes just as much draft prep as any other round.

[/QUOTE]

Right, the last 125 players chosen are nearly as important as the first 125 players chosen, and an equal amount of resources are expended to research those picks. Makes perfect sense. That's because the bottom 20 spots on a roster make such a big difference to the eventual fate of a team, right? Thank you for your astute football observation.

(And people wonder why I so liberally used the S-word in the past.)

[/QUOTE]

Right, because when injuries happen and teams don't have the quality depth to to use as replacements it doesn't matter. If you want to have a discussion about the topic fine. If you are just going to be a d*ck then just don't respond. You are suppossedly 60+ years old stop acting like your 12.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, health provided, this defense could finish the season as the top ranked defense in the NFL.

Major factors; Adrian Wilson, Tommy Kelly, Talib, Armond Armstead, Collins and a couple others draftees who will make the squad, as well as the jump made by the second year players.  

We will jump from 15th in sacks, where we've ranked for a while up into the top 3 thanks to additions at DT.  

Linebacker has never been this deep and the defensive backfield has always intercepted the ball regardless how "bad" this defense was perceived to be.

High expectations? Yeah, but history is on our side.

While it would be great that the Patriots Defense finish as the Top ranked Defense, I would disagree for the simple fact that there is a defense in the Bay Area with pro bowlers from the defensive line to the secondary in the San Francisco 49ers who (from the looks of things) will be Tops as they did rank 2nd in Points allowed giving up 17.1/g in 2012. The other team that could finish tops the Seahawks that finished 1st in Points allowed giving up 15.3 pts/g in 2012. The other team would be the Chicago Bears as they finishes 3rd in points allowed giving up 17.3 pts/g themselves. What thise three have in common is the core players are still intact. At the end of it all, the San Francisco 49ers will finish Tops in Defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

Like most I'm excited about this year's D and also like most I'm concerned about DT depth.

I'd like to see the Pats offer a mid-round pick to the Vikes for Kevin Williams. He's in the final year of his deal and likely not back in Minny next year. They have some young DT's with potential and for the right price maybe Williams becomes available.

While like Wilfork and Kelly he's in his early 30's he's also still a good player of legit starting caliber. He's also able to generate inside pass rush and has always been solid against the run. Their ages notwithstanding that group of 3 would arguably be the best rotation at DT in the league.

The Vikes are also lacking a good #2 back behind Peterson and really have since Chester Taylor left, especially a third down back type. Either Bolden or Blount, if one is out anyway, would be an upgrade for them over Gerhart.

Just sayin. Could help both teams.

So am I. This is actually a great idea. I love K.Williams. He is the closest thing u can get to Seymour but I would be happy with a 2nd tier player too  but someone with experience in their prime. I think after Fanene they got scared to spend again and Kelly was a no brainer, but u still need depth. As of now, we have no margin of error on the line and in the secondary. One injury to either could mean a lot for this D. Why not cover all bases? I mean we got 8 safeties and 15 linebackers in camp!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'd make that trade in a second but doesn't Williams have higher value then a mid round pick? Personally, I would love to see us sign Seymour right before the season starts. Skip pre season and use him in rotation with VW and Kelly. Shoot, put one at DE and run a mammoth 3-4.

Wait, Sey is still a FA right?

"Defense Wins Championships"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

The DB's, other then Talib, still scare me.  The front 7 looked awesome.

Thing is our #1 Offense lead by Tom Brady will have many more weapons this year and won't collapse with an injury.....like the last 2 years.

Dennard doesn't scare me, he's good, he makes the defense better. I mean he would scare me if I  was a cop trying to arrest him, but as a player he's good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

This D doesn't scare anyone..................yet.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Bll has a sign hanging in the locker room for defenders. It says: "Get the ball back for the offense."

Saying he doesn't care about yards is ridiculous. 

BB has said stats are over-rated, but in the sense that ... what does it matter if you intercepted the ball three times, if you gave up four TDs. Or who cares that you had 500 yards of offense if you tuned the ball over 4 times and lost.

Not ... hey you gave up 40 minutes of clock time because you couldn't close a 3rd down ... but that's ok. 

If you gave up zero points, but the most yards, wouldn't you have still won the game?

I stated it earlier in this thread ("Points are always #1 in terms of importance (ppg), turnover differential" next).  Yards are an indicator of nothing if you prevent or limit points in the red zone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

While it would be great that the Patriots Defense finish as the Top ranked Defense, I would disagree for the simple fact that there is a defense in the Bay Area with pro bowlers from the defensive line to the secondary in the San Francisco 49ers who (from the looks of things) will be Tops as they did rank 2nd in Points allowed giving up 17.1/g in 2012. The other team that could finish tops the Seahawks that finished 1st in Points allowed giving up 15.3 pts/g in 2012. The other team would be the Chicago Bears as they finishes 3rd in points allowed giving up 17.3 pts/g themselves. What thise three have in common is the core players are still intact. At the end of it all, the San Francisco 49ers will finish Tops in Defense.

I agree San Francisco is good and may very well be the league's best, conversely I do think they are light along the front and if an opposing team had a great collection on lineman and tightends they could be manhandled.  It's amazing what Harbaugh has done in 49er country.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I'd make that trade in a second but doesn't Williams have higher value then a mid round pick? Personally, I would love to see us sign Seymour right before the season starts. Skip pre season and use him in rotation with VW and Kelly. Shoot, put one at DE and run a mammoth 3-4.

Wait, Sey is still a FA right?

"Defense Wins Championships"

I hope Seymour is still sitting unsigned a before week one, Belichick walks up with a suitcase of cash and says "come home."  He deserves to retire a champ, he should retire a Patriot, it would be apropos, our defense would break records, but stuff like that only happens in Hollywood...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

As I have REPEATEDLY stated; I don't credit or discredit picks after the 4th round. If you get something there, great; if you don't, I'm not going to slam that.

You and nobody else has ever heard me praise or frown on any pick after the 4th round, because it's all luck at that point.

It's all luck with every pick, the more picks you have the better, when you come to grips with this generality, you'll be more forgiving of individual failures and be learn to enjoy the big picture.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/04/seymour_speaks.html

Did you ever think you’d be signing somewhere else?
    “I didn’t want to, but unfortunately that’s the reality of the business. It’s a part as a player and also I guess as management that no one likes to go through. But it’s something that has to be done. You have to do your due diligence. It’s part of the process and I understood that and I just looked at it from a business standpoint. But I was always thankful just to have the opportunity to play in the National Football League and I was thankful to the Kraft family and also the Patriots organization for giving me that opportunity. Just to have another opportunity to be able to do that is a blessing. I’m honored to be back in a Patriot uniform. I always said all along, this is the place I wanted to be. If the good Lord says the same, I want to retire a Patriot, and I think we took another step this week in trying to make that come true.”

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I would love big Sey to be a rotational player...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

You people are delusional. Kelly has been outperforming him for years. Seymour quit when he went back to Oakland after being a FA in 2010.   Oakland had no chance at a SB and he still resigned with them. Wake up.

The guy has been done for years as an impact player.  

The whole reason why he hasn't signed is because he's done.  He wanted his reputation to give him a massive deal and it hasn't.  He's cooked. 

He can sign when camp is over, why would you think he would want to attend camp at his age?  

The guy was injured last year and missed half the season, the year before that he played a full season and had six sacks was an All Pro and Pro Bowler.  Is this a little like others insisting Adrian Wilson is washed up, people see what they want to see I guess...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Hey, all this great positive karma, maybe we can't lose!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Seymour is not washed up...especially if he's paired with Kelly and Vince and spelling each other to keep fresh. he would instantly be in the rotation behind both Kelly and vince if not paired with them in a 3 man fRont. 

Name me a pats DT not named Kelly or Vince that is better than sey? Forston? Armstead? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

[QUOTE]

While it would be great that the Patriots Defense finish as the Top ranked Defense, I would disagree for the simple fact that there is a defense in the Bay Area with pro bowlers from the defensive line to the secondary in the San Francisco 49ers who (from the looks of things) will be Tops as they did rank 2nd in Points allowed giving up 17.1/g in 2012. The other team that could finish tops is the Seahawks that finished 1st in Points allowed giving up 15.3 pts/g in 2012. The other team would be the Chicago Bears as they finishes 3rd in points allowed giving up 17.3 pts/g themselves. What these three have in common is the core players are still intact. At the end of it all, the San Francisco 49ers will finish Tops in Defense.

I agree San Francisco is good and may very well be the league's best, conversely I do think they are light along the front and if an opposing team had a great collection on lineman and tightends they could be manhandled.  It's amazing what Harbaugh has done in 49er country.

[/QUOTE]

All of this what Jim Harbaugh has done is all in just 2 years as head coach of the 49ers as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

While it would be great that the Patriots Defense finish as the Top ranked Defense, I would disagree for the simple fact that there is a defense in the Bay Area with pro bowlers from the defensive line to the secondary in the San Francisco 49ers who (from the looks of things) will be Tops as they did rank 2nd in Points allowed giving up 17.1/g in 2012. The other team that could finish tops is the Seahawks that finished 1st in Points allowed giving up 15.3 pts/g in 2012. The other team would be the Chicago Bears as they finishes 3rd in points allowed giving up 17.3 pts/g themselves. What these three have in common is the core players are still intact. At the end of it all, the San Francisco 49ers will finish Tops in Defense.

[/QUOTE]

All of this what Jim Harbaugh has done is all in just 2 years as head coach of the 49ers as well.

[/QUOTE]

What SF has done in 2 years makes you wonder what will happen in STL.  They have/had a bunch of high draft picks and their still mediocre.   Being I hate Jeff fisher for his attitude when he had Rodney's knee cheap shotted, I blame him for being a mediocre coach.  SF drafted well and used their picks smartly and it's now showing.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's pretty early, but why not examine three games in to see where we're at...  currently the Pats are;

Tied as the 2nd best defense in the NFL allowing 11 points a game and 3rd in total points.

Tied as the 8th best on 3rd down defense in terms of percentage, but they also are ranked 4th right behind Seattle in first and goals allowed, turnovers the the reason why.  Tied 4th the NFL in forced fumbles and 8th in time of possession so they're getting off the field.  The offense wasn't exactly helping them in these early games so all these numbers can improve with a more consistent offense.

Passing:  Tied for 7th in interceptions, seven sacks puts them in the middle of the pack, not much improvement in the pass rush dept after three games but opposing QB's only have a 59 rating against them which ranks them 2nd behind Seattle and they've been very typically early season Belichick vanilla with pass rush schemes.  Also teams are only averaging 5.8 yards per pass which ranks them third in the NFL, an indicator they aren't allowing long bombs.  For you fantasy freaks they are ranked 7th in passing yards allowed.

Running:  The Pats are ranked a pedestrian 19th in rushing average allowed and opposing teams try to run on them often, that being said they haven't allowed a single run over twenty yards and have only given up a single rushing TD.  They also force fumbles in the run game.  I wonder how much of this is scheme, it's almost as if teams don't want to pass on the Pats so they run instead, why this is ineffective for opponents is the Pats are ranked 8th in first downs allowed, they stiffen and force opponents to punt on third downs.

In short the defense has been very solid, yes, we'll play better teams but as the Patriot's offense improves it should be a wash, the defense can continue to improve as well, especially with health and the addition of Armstead midseason and as the young players improve.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Yeah....  #2 in points allowed .  I'll take that.  Love the D right now.  In first qtr yesterday I was concerned about their tampas big receivers but the combination of pass rush and aggressive coverage shut them down.  my highlight was spikes stuffing the 4thand 1. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Wozzy I hope you are right man. For now, I'll take a hit on whatever is being smoked). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I hope they can keep it up Wozzy but we just dealt with 3 of the worst O's in the league so lets wait until they actually meet some real O's. Like I said page on I'm thinking a good shot at top 10 maybe top 5 if they can continue to keep it together

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Right, because when injuries happen and teams don't have the quality depth to to use as replacements it doesn't matter. If you want to have a discussion about the topic fine. If you are just going to be a d*ck then just don't respond. You are suppossedly 60+ years old stop acting like your 12.

If you expect to be treated like a person making mature and sensible points, you should try making a mature and sensible point.

I do find it humerous that somebody responds to sarcasm by calling someone a d*ick and a 12 year old. I would offer that the one escalating simple sarcasm into name calling is the one who needs to grow up. LMAO (after all, I didn't actually use the S-word!)

I don't know how to explain to you that the backups aren't as important as the starters or that no team has good enough backups to generally fill the void left by the loss of a quality starter. If you don't get that, then you never will get anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Wozzy I hope you are right man. For now, I'll take a hit on whatever is being smoked). 

Wozzy never saw a Pats D that wasn't excellent.

Listening to him regarding the Pats D is like listening to a salesman go on about what a great bargain that swampland is. LMAO

Time will tell if this D is for real.

Sections
Shortcuts