#1 Defense NE Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: #1 Defense NE Patriots

Sorry guys...

.. I was about a year too early with this thread and didn't account enough for injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry guys...

.. I was about a year too early with this thread and didn't account enough for injury.

[/QUOTE]

No one could have predicted the amount of injuries the defense would suffer.  The defense will be great this year especially with Revis.  But they HAVE TO get off the field on 3rd downs.  That is a must! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Hey wozzy, perhaps the fifth year in a row of predicting this will be the charm 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry did bunghole-bill say something, it's tough to hear you on ignore?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No one could have predicted the amount of injuries the defense would suffer.  The defense will be great this year especially with Revis.  But they HAVE TO get off the field on 3rd downs.  That is a must! 

[/QUOTE]

Believe me there were moments I thought I jinxed  them with this thread, then Vollmer got hurt...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He said he enjoys the company of men in his dumper.  Don't mind him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If a f@rt sounds in my direction, I don't try to converse with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ya and jints is the loser for making a mom joke. Glad you're too mature for that, Dex.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Strange how you only respond like this when I post directly to you. Keep up those predictions wozzydoo even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ya and jints is the loser for making a mom joke. Glad you're too mature for that, Dex.

[/QUOTE]

Mom jokes are lame.  Pointing out your love for taking it in the dumper is funny.  And you're one to talk about maturity trolling on the internet.  It's sad if you are a grown adult.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Mom jokes are lame.  Pointing out your love for taking it in the dumper is funny.  And you're one to talk about maturity trolling on the internet.  It's sad if you are a grown adult.

The sad part is his team sucks so bad he finds comfort here trying to belittle the best organization in Pro sports, pathetic really, he is to be pitied and ignored.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The sad part is his team sucks so bad he finds comfort here trying to belittle the best organization in Pro sports, pathetic really, he is to be pitied and ignored.

[/QUOTE]

You are wise, wozzy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I tried to legitimately post here. I tried but the same group of people would call me bustchise every time I posted something (re: wozzydoo), melwitt would follow me around posting pictures so I gave up. Even after I posted a picture of my pats jerseys hats sweatshirts those posters accused me of buying it just to trick them even though the sweatshirt was bought in 1994. Good posters in zbellino and tfb12 had my back and surprise surprise they were ridiculed for enabling a troll. Some of the people that post here act like children and some are such incredible homers and extremely critical of other teams so I call them out for it. If that's immature then so be it, Dex.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Glad you revived the thread Wozz---I agreed with you last year and I think most feel the odds are even better this year (obligatory health caveat inserted here) very excited about this year, a top flight D makes it much more realistic to think Lombardi (as opposed to offense) IMHO---although I think this offense will be more than adequate

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Glad you revived the thread Wozz---I agreed with you last year and I think most feel the odds are even better this year (obligatory health caveat inserted here) very excited about this year, a top flight D makes it much more realistic to think Lombardi (as opposed to offense) IMHO---although I think this offense will be more than adequate

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The were arguably the best in the AFC through Week 6 until all the injuries.  If healthy, clearly on paper, this defense is loaded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I tried to legitimately post here. I tried but the same group of people would call me bustchise every time I posted something (re: wozzydoo), melwitt would follow me around posting pictures so I gave up. Even after I posted a picture of my pats jerseys hats sweatshirts those posters accused me of buying it just to trick them even though the sweatshirt was bought in 1994. Good posters in zbellino and tfb12 had my back and surprise surprise they were ridiculed for enabling a troll. Some of the people that post here act like children and some are such incredible homers and extremely critical of other teams so I call them out for it. If that's immature then so be it, Dex.

[/QUOTE]

Forget it, Bustchise, Smart people know exactly who you are.  

We get it. BB left your team at the altar over a decade ago so you align with those here who have an unhealthy lust for Brady, exclusively, blasting BB for everything and making excuse after excuse for Brady.

BB is the devil to you and them, which is why you share an agenda with someone as pathetic as TFB12 who is an admitted pink hat since 2007.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it comes down to four players...Dennard, Kelly, Hightower and Armstead. If all four of those guys are out there playing at a high level we will be very good, if we never see Armstead and instead are bringing guys from Burger King off the street to fill in every week at his spot, there won't be much of a improvement on that line. Kelly should improve them a bit, but to be a dominant D, you have to be able to have more than a couple of guys on your line that can play.

Dennard as a player has impressed me...we need him starting out there. Hightower is the magic unicorn in all this - he was drafted high for a reason - to be a dynamic linebacker for this team...he needs to be all that. Coming out of college Hightower could get off the edge and rush, he could play the run with a lot of thump and he wasn't terrible in space...we get all that and this defense goes through the roof.

[/QUOTE]

Wow whoever wrote this was pretty spot on, not 100%, but not bad.

He should do another one...

Why not?

I think it comes down to the injured front (Kelly, Wilfork, Easley and Smith), if two of the four meet expectations we should be ok, and that's because of the additions of Browner and Revis. Those two guys should improve a pass rush with their ability to play man. The wildcard this year is Jaime Collins, if he is everything his athletic skills say he is, we will be pretty damn good. I think that kid is THAT good - I didn't feel the same way about Hightower - but the sky is the limit with him. Speaking of Hightower, he's going to have to man up and take on Spikes old roll, because he can't do much else, and we need him to do that. I worry about him in that spot honestly - I don't think he has Spikes instincts or aggression - he also doesn't take on blocks like Spikes, but he's a big boy.

I think we need someone to play strong safety, but anyone is an upgrade over Gregory...and even Gregory might look good with the additions we made in the secondary (I'm kidding).

I say they'll be a top 10 defense this year, injuries or not there's enough young guys with experience that should be able to carry the load.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, health provided, this defense could finish the season as the top ranked defense in the NFL.

Major factors; Adrian Wilson, Tommy Kelly, Talib, Armond Armstead, Collins and a couple others draftees who will make the squad, as well as the jump made by the second year players.  

We will jump from 15th in sacks, where we've ranked for a while up into the top 3 thanks to additions at DT.  

Linebacker has never been this deep and the defensive backfield has always intercepted the ball regardless how "bad" this defense was perceived to be.

High expectations? Yeah, but history is on our side.

[/QUOTE]

in Madden maybe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The secondary certainly looks improved--and quite deep too.  The front seven will be the group to watch to see if we really can be a top defense.  

• Have our LBs gotten better with Collins and Anderson replacing Spikes?  
    • Will the interior linemen (Wilfork and Kelly) hold up and can Easley play a role early on?
    • How are the ends behind Jones and Nink looking? 

Those are the questions I'll want answered in camp and preseason. I'm not sure this will be the number one defense--Seattle and SF and some others will compete too--but I do see the potential for the Pats to be near the top with health and a few young players stepping up. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The secondary certainly looks improved--and quite deep too.  The front seven will be the group to watch to see if we really can be a top defense.  

• Will the interior linemen (Wilfork and Kelly) hold up and can Easley play a role early on?

Those are the questions I'll want answered in camp and preseason. I'm not sure this will be the number one defense--Seattle and SF and some others will compete too--but I do see the potential for the Pats to be near the top with health and a few young players stepping up. 

[/QUOTE]

What will your #1 excuse be if Brady fails again in the title game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree on the D Line and think that is the biggest question mark and factor in defensive success.  Health is huge for us here.

Linebackers I think are a little less if a question mark.  Collins in my estimation is going to make a huge leap in his 2nd year and become a superstar health provided, he is such a rare athlete and talent.

I also think defensive ends is looking much improved when you consider the additions if Will Smith and Easley who can provide more size if needed and the improvement by Buchanan and added youth.

This was a top three defense last year along with Seattle and KC when Vince/Kelly were healthy and I suspect it will be again as long as their health holds. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wasn't as optimistic as you last year for different reasons but going over those reasons now vs last year gives me more confidence for this year. Mainly:

• I had no faith Talib would stay healthy and he didn't - Replacing him with Revis big upgrade imo
    • I didn't trust Arrington and the other CB's were still young - Brought in Browner as another vet presence and if one of Ryan or Dennard improves from last year should see a drastic reduction in Arringtons playing time which is an upgrade
    • I was worried about the depth at DT having to basically count on two aging DT's to play every snap. That really concerned me as I thought it would have been better to use Kelly in a 3 player rotation with Wilfork and a 3rd DT to limit wear. That fear came to life last year in the form of injury - They brought in Easley but he should be given lower reps to at least start the season. This area still concerns me and wish they brought in one more vet type for a rotation. Given who they were looking the last 2 months I think they felt the same way and I wouldn't be shocked to see them bring in a vet after cut downs.
    • I had no faith in A. Wilson playing significant time and didn't think much of T. Wilson - They haven't done a ton to help the situation but Harmon looked serviceable so lets hope he takes a step forward.
    • The depth at LB was a bit of a concern. I didn't think Collins would be ready for rotational duty until mid-late season and short of Fletcher (who was coming off a string on injures) they only had STers - With Collins having a year under his belt and Anderson taking Fletchers place I feel better but still wish they had a functional 5th LB and not so many STers. Maybe Pool will be that guy?
    • The depth at DE, they had none. I wasn't confident Buchanan could step in right away and Bequette showed nothing the year before. This was an area of concern for me - Adding Smith could help to lower that concern and I love the potential of Moore but it still comes down to either Moore, Bequette, or Buchanan stepping up this year as a 4th option for depth.

Overall they have improved from last year. Replacing Talib with Revis just from an post season on the field perspective is an enormous help. The concerns over depth at some positions are still there but it's dependent on if the rooks and 2 years can step up or not. If they can't then we might see a noticeable soft spot (as we did last year), if they can then depth won't be an issue and this D should be a top 5 if not top 3.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree on the D Line and think that is the biggest question mark and factor in defensive success.  Health is huge for us here.

Talent is there, but will age and injury slow it? This will be interesting to watch in camp and preseason.    

Linebackers I think are a little less if a question mark.  Collins in my estimation is going to make a huge leap in his 2nd year and become a superstar health provided, he is such a rare athlete and talent.

I tend to agree, though I'm always cautious until I see it.  Collins did look awful good at season end-- and before that he was showing a lot on special teams.  I think Andersen could be a nice add for depth too.  Spikes was limited, though he did bring some intimidation to the front.

I also think defensive ends is looking much improved when you consider the additions if Will Smith and Easley who can provide more size if needed and the improvement by Buchanan and added youth.

This is a position to watch.  Buchanan, Moore, and even Bequette will be interesting to see. i'd love one of those to show enough quality to get significant snaps.   Smith, if he still has anything left, could be a solid rotational guy.

This was a top three defense last year along with Seattle and KC when Vince/Kelly were healthy and I suspect it will be again as long as their health holds. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm going to reiterate that this team, health provided, will be the best defense in the NFL.

Sections
Shortcuts