#1 Defense NE Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: #1 Defense NE Patriots

I nailed it last year.  This year I say we end up #11 on defense. That's plenty good enough to win it all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I nailed it last year.  This year I say we end up #11 on defense. That's plenty good enough to win it all.

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, not if Brady keeps changing the plays BB sends in

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The secondary certainly looks improved--and quite deep too.  The front seven will be the group to watch to see if we really can be a top defense.  

• Have our LBs gotten better with Collins and Anderson replacing Spikes?  
    • Will the interior linemen (Wilfork and Kelly) hold up and can Easley play a role early on?
    • How are the ends behind Jones and Nink looking? 

Those are the questions I'll want answered in camp and preseason. I'm not sure this will be the number one defense--Seattle and SF and some others will compete too--but I do see the potential for the Pats to be near the top with health and a few young players stepping up. 

[/QUOTE]

What will your #1 excuse be if Brady fails again in the title game?

[/QUOTE]

you mean when the D can't get a 3 and out? If they're behind because the "genius" BB's D has failed (as it has many times)? What is TB supposed to do? run your O like it's just another game?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They were ranked 2nd in points last season until Vince went down, they didn't drop that much further until Kelly went down, then Mayo etc...  

We're returning the same team, improved and deeper in every facet with a substantially better and power running offense, an offense that can score and move the chains.  

IMO 11 is really low balling it, health provided.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They were ranked 2nd in points last season until Vince went down, they didn't drop that much further until Kelly went down, then Mayo etc...  

We're returning the same team, improved and deeper in every facet with a substantially better and power running offense, an offense that can score and move the chains.  

[/QUOTE]

You gotta account for some ch, it to happen woozy.  11 is a good safe betting number.  Wan't to play over/under using 11 as the starting point for where our defense will finish the regular season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You gotta account for some ch, it to happen woozy.  11 is a good safe betting number.  Wan't to play over/under using 11 as the starting point for where our defense will finish the regular season.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I got 100 on the under.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I got 100 on the under.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that action as well...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Since I can't take 11 I'll go under (10).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

They're going to be good, really good if they don't incur too many injuries to key players.  Could be top 5, barring catastrophe top 10 for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Hey look wozzy popped again.

I think they'll be top 10 but I still feel like the front 7 is too much of a question mark to make claims of being #1 with such certainty.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

The nfl needs to adjust how they rank defenses.  It ain't yards allowed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I think top 5 as long as injuries don't hit them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree but yards allowed certainly is not a meaningless stat as many folks in here tried to convince themselves of the past few years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree but yards allowed certainly is not a meaningless stat as many folks in here tried to convince themselves of the past few years.

[/QUOTE]

It is something to consider, bustchise, but if you lead the conf. In turnovers it is a very minor statistic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Nothing correlates to wins and losses more then turnovers.

Bill Belichick

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If I had to come up with an effective defensive ranking, I'd ask, on every defensive or offensive play, did the defense improve their chances of victory a whole lot based on yardage gained or lost?

The top 5% of yardage improvements compared to an NFL average given any down and distance = +5 points),

a little gain (next 25% = +1 point),

pretty much broke even (next 40%),

blew it a little(next 25% = -1 points),

or blew it a lot  (last 5% = -5 points)  Touchdowns and pick-sixes are so important to a team that they deserve extra points.

Usually penalties resulting in a first down are automatically above any yardage gain that doesn't involve a first down.  I can think of a rare counterexample:  If your offense started a certain play at first and 20, would you rather get a 5 yard automatic first down penalty or a 19 yard pickup?

Then I'd modify the sum of these plays versus the other team's relative power rating.  Snookering Jacksonville's offense isn't as meaningful as taking a healthy Peyton Manning to the cleaners. 

I could automate this system, running off of play by play data from someone's box scores.  One goal is easy statistics collection with meaningful results.

In general, on first down if an offense gains 1/3 of the distance to the first down marker or less, then they've blown it.  If they gain 1/3 of the distance plus two yards or more, that's usually a success.  Beyond first and 20 yards this formula probably gets sketchy.

On second down, if an offense gains 1/2 of the distance to the first down marker or less, then they've blown it.  If they gain 1/2 of the distance to the first down marker plus two yards or more, that's generally a success.

On third down, if they get the first down, that's a success, otherwise it's a failure.  On third down and 20 a success is a real feather in the cap, so that's why I grade each play on the NFL curve.

We could further break this type of statistic down and say that, for example, the Patriots' offense was just plain murder on second and five situations but they were quite mortal on third and ten situations.

System weaknesses:  as always, I tend to discount plays at the end of a game when a blowout is in progress. Also, sometimes near the end of the season, certain bad teams lose all of their remaining illusions about reaching the playoffs and so teams tend to give up.  Sometimes the coach starts to play his bench in preparation for next year.  Next, some teams know that their seeding is fixed, and so they rest their starters in week 17.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing correlates to wins and losses more then turnovers.

Bill Belichick

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

And you wonder why Rex Ryan sucks and Bustchise is confused. Too funny.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

Yes, Queenie, because opposing teams moving the ball up and down the field have nothing to do with the quality of the defense.  They should change it to how many games a team allows 30 points to a Geno Smith led team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TheRealBustchise's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Queenie, because opposing teams moving the ball up and down the field have nothing to do with the quality of the defense.  They should change it to how many games a team allows 30 points to a Geno Smith led team.

[/QUOTE]

You were also impressed with Mark Sanchez.  LOL!

How many more of these litmus tests for QB busts are you willing to take on?

bawaahahha!

It's like, ever other football fan in America knows they're busts, but you. How does that feel? No one cares when anyone in life is a fraud at what they do, except for the fraud or the morons who follow that fraud.

Congrats!

You've cornered the market on being impressed with frauds.

It simply cannot be made up. You act proud with being a moron. It's just so strange to brag about being a moron.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bawaahahha!

It's like, ever other football fan in America knows they're busts, but you. How does that feel? No one cares when anyone in life is a fraud at what they do, except for the fraud or the morons who follow that fraud.

Congrats!

It simply cannot be made up. You act proud with being a moron. It's just so strange to brag about being a moron.

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez, the guy that in his first two years had more playoff wins than BB while beating BB in the playoffs? Is that the Sanchez?  Imagine, the best GM in football getting dominated by Sanchez in the biggest choke in the history of the NFL.  That's pathetic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bawaahahha!

Congrats!

[/QUOTE]

May I suggest that you not type so feverishly?  Perhaps you can type a bit more coherently.... but I doubt it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bawaahahha!

Congrats!

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez, the guy that in his first two years had more playoff wins than BB while beating BB in the playoffs? Is that the Sanchez?  Imagine, the best GM in football getting dominated by Sanchez in the biggest choke in the history of the NFL.  That's pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

I had no idea the "biggest choke" in NFL history occurred in a divisional rd playoff game, which has happened numerous times in the history of the league.

Yes!  A road team has never won a game in a divisional round before. LOL!

The fact that impresses you to that degree is beyond comical for all Pats fans here.  That is why your franchise sucks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Top6-8 maybe

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bawaahahha!

Congrats!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I had no idea the "biggest choke" in NFL history occurred in a divisional rd playoff game, which has happened numerous times in the history of the league.

The fact that impresses you to that degree is beyond comical for all Pats fans here.  That is why your franchise sucks.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Queenie, it can occur anywhere.  In this case, it was in the playoffs.  But had nothing to do with a road game... that's just dumb. Were you thinking that it could only occur when the patsies choked twice in superbowls?  Nope.  It was the only time in the history of the NFL that a team had beaten another team by 40+ points in the regular season only to lose to them in the playoffs. Rex said afterward he didn't want to show his cards.  Brilliant.  Outcoached and outplayed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bawaahahha!

Congrats!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that a fans stating what the NFL refers to as the "biggest choke in the history of the NFL" can be related to a franchises suckability.  Tell me more, Queenie. That sounds very interesting.

Sections
Shortcuts