#1 Problem (yet again) = NO NFL QUALITY WRs

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: #1 Problem (yet again) = NO NFL QUALITY WRs

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Couldn't be more obvious. WR huge need.

[/QUOTE]

WR is an issue but it's one of many and I'm not even sure if I'd put it in the top 3-5 issues. For me it's:

#1 - DT - People around here fall way to quickly for players after a couple of games. I'm sorry but Vellano, Chris Jones, and Siliga are nice sub role players but they aren't spot starters. These types of players flash brilliantly for a couple games and then once other teams get film they get washed out. It's the reason they usually go UDFA and travel from team to team because they are 1 or 2 dimensional on the field and once teams figure it out they get pushed around. With both Kelly and Wilfork not getting younger and coming back from lower body injures getting a starting caliber anchor on the DL should be top priority otherwise we will never get pressure on QB's

#2 - TE - Hooman is a nice #3 TE but he shouldn't be a starter. Gronk is injury prone. So, you are going to have any type of O, esp in RZ, without a TE who excels at either the passing game or lead blocking on the edge? They need another TE badly, esp for the RZ.

#3 - SS - The Wilson's are both laughing at BB and Harmon is nothing more than a poormans James Sanders. When Gregory is your best SS your entire secondary will suffer. McCourty has to try to play two positions and you better hope your LB's can cover out of the backfield as well as play inside the box

#4 - Fast/Tall outside CB - Arrington is a #4 being paid like a #1/2 and nether Ryan or Dennard can cover receivers like Thomas. Talib could but he's oft injured so what does that leave you?

#5/6 - C/G - I put them together because really having 1 better guy on either position will really help the interior line and should give Brady more time

#7 - WR - Imo this is where it falls. Sucks for Brady but really looking over my list this D needs help and depth more than the O, also having another TE and a better running game can help overcome the weaker passing game, provided Dobson can improve. BTW, where are the other great WR saviors I heard about that we didn't need to spend more money on WR's. Where's Amendola "Mr Clutch", Thompkins the wonder BB found, and the savior Boyce who was a secret weapon on reserve? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's not 2003 ... people should stop comparing the two seasons. 

Every team that wins now has big time WRs. 

Just go down the list of teams that have won the Superbowl the last half decade. 

Not one of New England's starting WRs, save Welker, in the last five seasons would even crack any of those rosters. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

when Gronk went down we should have jettisoned some of our stockpile of picks for any WR who could stretch the field....BB didnt want to for whatever reasons (ego/fear of failure, fear of losing picks) if we had that player this game wouldve been played in Foxboro....haviing said that this team going this far was a miracle of coaching genuis but the thread is right on... we needed a wideout

bye bye Danny Amen-do-nothing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to VeritasMD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We're playing in the AFC Title game, and Brady is throwing to some guy named MULLIGAN, who isn't even known in his own house.  And Austin Collie, off the waiver wire, meaning that 31 other teams passed on him.  

Amendola?  How did he work out?  Complete joke. 

Gronk?  Oh yeah, not on the field...Again. Useless. 

Dobson?  Did he suit up today? 

Slater? 

Who are these guys?  How in the world do you expect to win the Super Bowl with a bunch of cast offs that no other NFL team wants? 

I'm sorry, but this is RECHE CALDWELL era football.  We've seen it before.  BB knew this at the end of last year, but he went out and did NOTHING to improve the WRs.  

AGAIN:  Brady is throwing to waiver wire claims in the AFC Championship game. 

Hey, here's a crazy idea:  GET A QUALITY WR OR TWO!!!

/rant

[/QUOTE]

So let Edelman, Amendola, and Collie go.  Can't speak to Dobson or the other guy who's hurt.  All of the first 3 will be picked up within a blink of an eye. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Couldn't be more obvious. WR huge need.

[/QUOTE]

WR is an issue but it's one of many and I'm not even sure if I'd put it in the top 3-5 issues. For me it's:

#1 - DT - People around here fall way to quickly for players after a couple of games. I'm sorry but Vellano, Chris Jones, and Siliga are nice sub role players but they aren't spot starters. These types of players flash brilliantly for a couple games and then once other teams get film they get washed out. It's the reason they usually go UDFA and travel from team to team because they are 1 or 2 dimensional on the field and once teams figure it out they get pushed around. With both Kelly and Wilfork not getting younger and coming back from lower body injures getting a starting caliber anchor on the DL should be top priority otherwise we will never get pressure on QB's

#2 - TE - Hooman is a nice #3 TE but he shouldn't be a starter. Gronk is injury prone. So, you are going to have any type of O, esp in RZ, without a TE who excels at either the passing game or lead blocking on the edge? They need another TE badly, esp for the RZ.

#3 - SS - The Wilson's are both laughing at BB and Harmon is nothing more than a poormans James Sanders. When Gregory is your best SS your entire secondary will suffer. McCourty has to try to play two positions and you better hope your LB's can cover out of the backfield as well as play inside the box

#4 - Fast/Tall outside CB - Arrington is a #4 being paid like a #1/2 and nether Ryan or Dennard can cover receivers like Thomas. Talib could but he's oft injured so what does that leave you?

#5/6 - C/G - I put them together because really having 1 better guy on either position will really help the interior line and should give Brady more time

#7 - WR - Imo this is where it falls. Sucks for Brady but really looking over my list this D needs help and depth more than the O, also having another TE and a better running game can help overcome the weaker passing game, provided Dobson can improve. BTW, where are the other great WR saviors I heard about that we didn't need to spend more money on WR's. Where's Amendola "Mr Clutch", Thompkins the wonder BB found, and the savior Boyce who was a secret weapon on reserve? 

[/QUOTE]

looks like we rebuiling again....Frown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We've been looking for that "deep threat to stretch the field" for over half a decade now.

Can't be made up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

No WR's but, TB once again as he has all year, overthrows them all! Drives me nuts watching this!

OK, so we have no WR's. The Patriots' last 2 wins were on the back of Blount. 24 carries each game. 

Today? 5 carries. Brady keeps throwing the ball over the WR's heads but, McDaniels is too caught up in the Brady vs Manning thing I believe. He wanted TB to be better than Manning today instead of sticking with a formula that has given new life to the running game in New England. 

McDaniels is way overrated. Time to shake things up. You don't give up on Blount after 5 carries. I don't get it at all. People will argue that "well, things weren't going good for Blount". Really? You give him 5 touches and then say "all done". Yet, Brady is off and McDaniels has him passing. 

Maddening to watch. Just maddening. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Edelmann was a FA this last off season and couldn't get a job. 

This team was committed to Hernandez, Gronk, and Amendola. 

Once the first two imploded, Amendola was unable to become a #1 WR.

A real disaster - but hard to predict that Hernandez would be a murderer.  Gronk is a disaster because he gets hurt every day. 

But even today - if they had a healthy Gronk or a sane Hernandez - they would have won.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

This team has serious lack of talent overall.  

Considering this lack of talent this was BB's best coaching year.

However BB needs to make this less about himself and add talent to the roster.

So he wins by dumpster diving to fill the roster...thats a feather in BB's cap...good for him but the team is still mediocre come playoff time.... Because at the end of the day talent wins not coaching so much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Edelmann was a FA this last off season and couldn't get a job. 

This team was committed to Hernandez, Gronk, and Amendola. 

Once the first two imploded, Amendola was unable to become a #1 WR.

A real disaster - but hard to predict that Hernandez would be a murderer.  Gronk is a disaster because he gets hurt every day. 

But even today - if they had a healthy Gronk or a sane Hernandez - they would have won.

[/QUOTE]

Edelman wasn't picked up because there was never enough tape on him to have a team give him a chance.  Moss, Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Branch took up the snaps that could have been given to him.  Now the leauge sees what he is.  If the pats let him go, he'll get a gig and perform like Woodhead. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have been here talking about this all season, even prior to the season.  Maybe those who didn't listen to me or kept giving me BS whenever I brought it up will now see the problem... or will it just be all Bradys fault and falling back on the same excuse of yesteryears... "We never needed quality WRs to win SB's before."  Hello... that was 10+ years ago.  Get some quality WR now!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have been here talking about this all season, even prior to the season.  Maybe those who didn't listen to me or kept giving me BS whenever I brought it up will now see the problem... or will it just be all Bradys fault and falling back on the same excuse of yesteryears... "We never needed quality WRs to win SB's before."  Hello... that was 10+ years ago.  Get some quality WR now!!

[/QUOTE]

Agree...no more dumpster diving for WR's please...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to rxmsg's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree...no more dumpster diving for WR's please...

[/QUOTE]

defense too. ..CB, SS, DT..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to VeritasMD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We're playing in the AFC Title game, and Brady is throwing to some guy named MULLIGAN, who isn't even known in his own house.  And Austin Collie, off the waiver wire, meaning that 31 other teams passed on him.  

Amendola?  How did he work out?  Complete joke. 

Gronk?  Oh yeah, not on the field...Again. Useless. 

Dobson?  Did he suit up today? 

Slater? 

Who are these guys?  How in the world do you expect to win the Super Bowl with a bunch of cast offs that no other NFL team wants? 

I'm sorry, but this is RECHE CALDWELL era football.  We've seen it before.  BB knew this at the end of last year, but he went out and did NOTHING to improve the WRs.  

AGAIN:  Brady is throwing to waiver wire claims in the AFC Championship game. 

Hey, here's a crazy idea:  GET A QUALITY WR OR TWO!!!

/rant

[/QUOTE]

it would be nice to see them get a big time reciever and to have gronk make it through a full season. i dont know if there are any decent receivers available this offseason though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

BB is great coach.... As a GM not so much.  We need a GM who knows true talent and then let BB to his magic.  Roster filled cast offs , UDFA and dumpster bargains needs to end.  At the end of the it's talent that wins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

By the way - Amendola tore the groin and was supposed to have season ending surgery.  Played hurt all year.

Injuries and arrest blew up the plan. 

Now they need a new plan.  But the new plan should be like the last plan - Edelmann as the #4 option.  He was the #1 option this year which is part of the reason why they lost today.

Great season for edelman - heckuva competitor.  But if he is the #1 WR the team will have no chance next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

when Gronk went down we should have jettisoned some of our stockpile of picks for any WR who could stretch the field....BB didnt want to for whatever reasons (ego/fear of failure, fear of losing picks) if we had that player this game wouldve been played in Foxboro....haviing said that this team going this far was a miracle of coaching genuis but the thread is right on... we needed a wideout

bye bye Danny Amen-do-nothing

[/QUOTE]

Stockpile of picks?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

BB has/is wasting the last few years of a HOF QB by filling the roster with garbage and assuming he can coach them up.  We'll you can coach up grabge only so much.   BB needs to get over himself

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

BB has/is wasting the last few years of a HOF QB by filling the roster with garbage and assuming he can coach them up.  We'll you can coach up grabge only so much.   BB needs to get over himself

[/QUOTE]

Last year we had Gronk and Hern on the field no one was complaining about Brady's weapons. Tough break (again) with Gronk and screwed wit Hern. Do you really think this is about BBs ego?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year we had Gronk and Hern on the field no one was complaining about Brady's weapons. Tough break (again) with Gronk and screwed wit Hern. Do you really think this is about BBs ego?

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do.....to a certain degree.  Coaching is crucial but I think a part of him relishes winning with less talent... Well the lack of talent showas up big time in the playoffs.  What a pathetic showing that was today...inferior talent was exposed big time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Did the Pats even try for Boldin?  Dude is amazing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Anyone watching the 49ers?

If you saw the catch Crabtree just made around the 50 you'd realize the Pats don't have a single player who can make that catch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Ravens were never going to trade him to a conference rival imo.  They wanted him out of the AFC.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope.... Boldin has talent and durable... So he does not meet BB's criteria

Sections
Shortcuts