10 years of playoff losses - have Pats become Colts??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: 10 years of playoff losses - have Pats become Colts??

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two points.

1. When the Pats QB went down in the first quarter of week 1, did they roll over like dead fish and quit on their season? No, like a real champion, they played their hearts out and became the only 11-5 team to ever miss the playoffs. The Colts quit in the preseason when Manning was injured and tanked the entire year.

2. When faced with a chance to go undefeated and write history, did the Patriots take their starters out in the last game to 'rest up and not get injured' for the playoffs? No, they went for it, like real champions would, and became the only 16-0 regular season team in league history.  

As long as there is BB leading the team, don't even try to make the comparison. 

[/QUOTE]

Two very good points.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually for as much as we slam Rusty for his anti Brady nonsense, Pezz needs to be considered equally as insane for his anti BB diatrebes. I mean Rusty at least posts on all topics Patriots related, but this guy.....this frikkin guy has a high hard one for Belichick and that seems to be all he cares about!

[/QUOTE]

Really?

So, the guy who puts the 53 together should have less culpability (in failures) than a single player?

Unfortunately, there a few ignorant enough here to believe that.

I've never considered you one of those, but if you insist.........So, be it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The bottom line is when you score the go ahead td in the SB with less then 3 minutes on the clock, put the ball on the 17 yard line and make another team have to go 83 yards to get a game winning td, the offense did their job to win the game at that point. 

All the D had to do was make 1 stop and not let them score a game winning td in less then 3 minutes.  The Giants went 83 yards in 2 minutes to win it.  All they needed was 1 stop.  Just tell me, how is this not considered a defensive meltdown?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bottom line is when you score the go ahead td in the SB with less then 3 minutes on the clock, put the ball on the 17 yard line and make another team have to go 83 yards to get a game winning td, the offense did their job to win the game at that point. 

All the D had to do was make 1 stop and not let them score a game winning td in less then 3 minutes.  The Giants went 83 yards in 2 minutes to win it.  All they needed was 1 stop.  Just tell me, how is this not considered a defensive meltdown?

[/QUOTE]

TFB...  time to give it up.  You know I've made similar comments.  Most realize this and it is the "noisy" few who do not want to acknowledge the D had just as much to do with the SB losses as the O.  Imagine if the D pulls it together this season?  Who knows.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

TFB...  time to give it up.  You know I've made similar comments.  Most realize this and it is the "noisy" few who do not want to acknowledge the D had just as much to do with the SB losses as the O.  Imagine if the D pulls it together this season?  Who knows.

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, agcsbil, and I agree with you. 

But the question I just asked doesn't get broken down any simpler then that.  I am curious to hear the answers from those "noisy" few. 

I bet all we will get is the same lame excuse that the offense should have scored more.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, agcsbil, and I agree with you. 

But the question I just asked doesn't get broken down any simpler then that.  I am curious to hear the answers from those "noisy" few. 

I bet all we will get is the same lame excuse that the offense should have scored more.

[/QUOTE]

...  with NO credit given to the Giants' D and how well they played.  If it were THAT simple!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offense should have scored more.

[/QUOTE]

If the defense makes 1 stop in the final 2:40 minutes and the Pats win the game, the D gets huge praise, imo.  But since they allowed a td in less then 2 minutes to lose the SB, they get none of the blame???  It's all on TFB?  Makes no sense at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

...  with NO credit given to the Giants' D and how well they played.  If it were THAT simple!

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.  The Giants D line was great.  They allowed a Patriots rushing average of 2.8 yards per carry.  The Pats couldn't run the ball against them.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No. The Colts had better defenses overall and consistently better receivers than the Pats have had for a number of years now.

[/QUOTE]

Babe - your intentional dishonesty made me laugh.  Good for you, man!  You get a smiley face.  Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

D AM IT!- I was hoping Babe wasn't going to be here today. Here we go again with Babe making excuses for Brady.

In Babes eyes Brady has never done anything wrong. For instance Brady has thrown 3 TD's and 7 INT's in AFC Championships games played at home over the years.

In Babes eyes they were all the defenses fault,the recievers fault,the waterboys fault BUT in no way did Brady have anything to do with this horrible stat.

Lets all welcome Babe to the forum and read how it's everybodies fault but Brady's that the pats haven't won anything in 10 years now.

ladies and Gents-I give you the Commisioner of The Brady Apologists Foundation...one Mr. Babe Parilli.

And the crowd reacts with a resounding..BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[/QUOTE]

Well there is that illegitimate child he fathered. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

It's a 60 minute game TFB-The offense should have scored more points-They didn't and the pats lost

If "If's and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas every day".

We can go on and on all day with What ifs.

[/QUOTE]

To win the game you have to score more points then the other team AND stop them from scoring more points then your team.  At 2:40 left in the game the Pats scored more points then the Giants, it was up to the defense to stop the Giants from scoring.  The D didn't do their part.  End of story.

So, just curious... What would it take in your mind to have the defense take blame in losing?  Would allowing the Giants to go 83 yards in 2 minutes to win the game 35-38 change your thinking? Would putting up 35 points and still losing change your tune?  How about allowing the Giants to go 83 yards in 2 minutes to win the game 21-24? Would putting up 21 points and still losing change your tune?

It doesn't matter. The Pats offense scored more points with 2:40 left to go in the game.  They did their part.  They put the team in position to win the game with only a couple minutes left to go.  Isn't that what they are supposed to do?  Or are they supposed to blow out all the other teams every game?  The D allowed an 83 yard drive in less then 2 minutes to lose it.  That is the bottom line, regardless of how many points were put up on the scoreboard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TFB - the defense kept the giants below their scoring average.  that is not a fail.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

You keep repeating yourself TFB- You don't have to do that. I get your point I just don't agree with it.

It's a 60 minute game not a 2 minute and 40 second game. You say the offense did their part.Did they? What did they do in the 1st half,the drive before the Giants got the ball the second drive of the second quarter?How many times did the offense NOT get it done and had to punt?

Do you see my point? It's a 60 minute game. Every second counts!

[/QUOTE]

Ok, then I will leave it at that.  I will agree to disagree with you.

Ok, I get it.  Terrible to see The Pats get the W in the Broncos and Browns game since they

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TFB - the defense kept the giants below their scoring average.  that is not a fail.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I see.  Games are decided on averages now and not final scores.  got it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Wasn't talking about play-off wins.  Was talking about regular season wins where their point differential was high, as you stated.

What part of they beat the contenders such as the Gints, Ravens and Colts, by a FG ,and the 45 point wins( which raised the point differential) were against crap, don't you understand?

The point differential in the PO's were 11, 9 and -3. , which is less than a 6 point average.

Not quite the same as in the RS against crappy teams, now was it?

I have literally no idea what you are saying here.  The 2007 Patriots did not play the Ravens or Colts in the playoffs.  The Ravens were not even a playoff team that year.  As I stated previously the Patriots played 6 regular season games against teams that made the playoffs that year and they won by an average of almost 20 points.  Sure their margin of victory in the playoffs was smaller.  It almost always is.  This still doesn't change the fact that saying the 2007 Patriots lacked talent is patently absurd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they did so while eliminating 4-5 possessions due to their incompetence.

Did you hear last night, the commentators stating that because the Donkeys lost 5 possessions (down from 13 average possessions to 8), they lost 15 points as they average 3 points a possession.

The score was low due to loss of possessions caused by the D averaging twice the possession ToP that they should have., not because the D played well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think we have all been there with this argument and the same point. I recognize that TB hasnt always been perfect but Montana was 4/4 in NFC title games - he had some not so good games in wins and losses/ PMs record is well known

Not only that but TB led the go ahead scoring drive in all 5 SB's - noone else has done that

Having them win it all this year would ever be so sweet and would shut everybody up

(btw The Giant Dline was the MVP - cause Giants won - in both games not eli or TB would have two more SB mvps)

.btw tfb12 - BB has had enough Talent around TB to win it all - 42 and 46 and he also was rebuilding on the go. No other coach has kept their team in the playoffs like he has. And other coaches who are in the pantheon didnt deal with free agency. Respectfully I think BB as GM should get the same benefit of the doubt as TB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wasn't talking about play-off wins.  Was talking about regular season wins where their point differential was high, as you stated.

What part of they beat the contenders such as the Gints, Ravens and Colts, by a FG ,and the 45 point wins( which raised the point differential) were against crap, don't you understand?

The point differential in the PO's were 11, 9 and -3. , which is less than a 6 point average.

[/QUOTE]

I have literally no idea what you are saying here.  The 2007 Patriots did not play the Ravens or Colts in the playoffs.  The Ravens were not even a playoff team that year.  As I stated previously the Patriots played 6 regular season games against teams that made the playoffs that year and they won by an average of almost 20 points.  Sure their margin of victory in the playoffs was smaller.  It almost always is.  This still doesn't change the fact that saying the 2007 Patriots lacked talent is patently absurd.

[/QUOTE]

2007 pats may have been the most talented team of 20 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm..  I never said they did.  I said they beat them in the RS by the smallest of margins.

The point differential you mentioned was because they beat the crappy teams by 17-46 points.

As much as I loved that team, it was a hell of a ride! You'd have to be totally blind not to see there were kinks in the armor against the not so crappy teams.

The loss was a result of them being exposed by a team with a much better D that could keep TB on his azz and an O that could keep Brady off the field.

Case closed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The point differential you mentioned was because they beat the crappy teams by 17-46 points.

As much as I loved that team, it was a hell of a ride! You'd have to be totally blind not to see there were kinks in the armor against the not so crappy teams.

As I have stated a few times already.  The 2007 Patriots played 6 teams in the regular season that made the playoffs.  They won those games by an average of 20 points.  Was their margin of victory higher against bad teams?  Yes.  Did they play a few close games?  Of course.  Every team does.  I am saying if you look at the entire body of work they also dominated some pretty good teams that year (Dallas, San Diego, Pittsburgh).  Washington was a wild card team and they beat them by 45.  It is crazy to say they weren't talented enough just because they WON a few close games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

.btw tfb12 - BB has had enough Talent around TB to win it all - 42 and 46 and he also was rebuilding on the go. No other coach has kept their team in the playoffs like he has. And other coaches who are in the pantheon didnt deal with free agency. Respectfully I think BB as GM should get the same benefit of the doubt as TB.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally disagree with that statement for SB 46. 

Here, this article pretty much sums up my feelings........

The play of the game was a great 38-yard sideline catch by Mario Manningham, the Giants third wide receiver. The Giants have two receivers better than a guy who makes that catch? Yep. New York has an abundance of talent on both sides of the ball. When they decided to start the game with Jason Pierre-Paul at right defensive end that turned Osi Umenyiora into a backup.

How this Giants team went 9-7, even with injuries, is one of the great mysteries of our time.

Conversely, Patriots coach/chessmaster Bill Belichick squeezed every last ounce of talent out of his roster this year, like someone determined not to throw out a toothpaste tube until it's been drained of every dollop. The Sterling Moores and Antwaun Moldens and James Ihedigbos, all of whom were discarded by other teams before landing in New England's Island of Misfit Toys secondary, took his coaching and maximized their talent. But they had and have football glass ceilings.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2012/02/talent_won_out.html

Sections
Shortcuts