10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era.

NFL Insider Adam Schefter

Schefter Check out Schefter's Insider blog Insider for more NFL coverage and analysis.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Ten years ago on Friday, the NFL returned to action after postponing the season for a week because of 9/11. And it was through that action that NFL history occurred without most realizing it. On Sept. 23, 2001, New York Jets linebacker Mo Lewis slammed into Drew Bledsoe so hard that the New England Patriots quarterback was rushed to the hospital with severe internal bleeding in his chest.

Bledsoe could have died, but his injury gave life to the legend of Tom Brady.

Since then, the world and the NFL have changed dramatically. Various players and teams have shined but, by and large, Brady has ruled the league. Brady has been the NFL's best player and one of the greatest of all time. He has led New England to three Super Bowl titles. And he got his chance thanks to a hit that still is felt 10 years later.

Now, through two games, as New England heads into Buffalo for a meaningful early-season matchup, Brady is putting up numbers that rival the historic stats he posted during the Patriots' unbeaten 2007 regular season. Four years ago, Brady threw for six touchdowns, one interception and 576 yards in New England's first two games. This season, he has thrown for seven touchdowns, one interception and 940 yards in New England's first two games. The Patriots have scored at least 30 points in 10 consecutive regular-season games, four games short of the NFL record the St. Louis Rams set in 1999-2000, when they scored 30-plus in 14 straight games. With Brady playing as well as he ever has, the Rams' record and another Vince Lombardi Trophy seem attainable.

Our society and sports constantly recognize significant anniversaries. None in the NFL is any more significant than the hit that changed the next decade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: 10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era.

It was a glorious time for the empire.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era.:
    Thank you, Jets. The Jets are the gift that keeps on giving. lmao
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

HAHAHAHA Agreed!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I suspect Brady would have been put in at some point even if Drew was not hurt. BB is a remarkable coach who knows his team inside out and he knew Brady would be much better than Drew. In fact, Drew was exactly the kind of QB that would drive BB crazy. Brady had told his friend from MI that he would take Drew's job before Drew got slammed. It was inevitable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I suspect Brady would have been put in at some point even if Drew was not hurt. BB is a remarkable coach who knows his team inside out and he knew Brady would be much better than Drew. In fact, Drew was exactly the kind of QB that would drive BB crazy. Brady had told his friend from MI that he would take Drew's job before Drew got slammed. It was inevitable.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Good call Parilli. i've never really thought about that before, but if Pats start out 0-4 I could see BB benching Bledsoe no matter how loved he was in N.E...He had done it before and he would do it again. I shutter to think of how slaughtered he would have been in the Boston media though!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

True to Babe's post, if you watch the "Brady 6" documentary on ESPN you'll hear Aaron Shea, Brady's TE at Michigan, say that during the offseason prior to the 01 season Brady tells him he's going to take Bledsoe's job.

Even more telling is the part in that documentary where Belichick says that Brady was the better quarterback even in the preseason, and it was only Brady's lack of experience stopping them from starting Brady in the season opener against the Bengals.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What? No parade in Boston on this glorious day?  Would be a perfect day to you know...., get lubed up, and celebrate TFB12!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from damansidhu. Show damansidhu's posts

To commemorate this, check out the Brady 6 videos if you haven't done so already. Probably the only great piece of reporting done by ESPN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

lol, is it too late to bring back bledsoe?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I heard NE never targeted Brady in the draft. I also heard they just randomly picked him on a whim and that BB didn't keep a 4th QB spot in 2000, and that was also just a wild conicidence. This is per Mt. Hurl and his buddy "JayShizzle". lmao Also, the sky is yellow in their world. Carry on.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

First of all prior to that draft you thought Brady was a television show, and second of all selecting the greatest QB of all time in the sixth round had nothing to do with "science", because why in the blue hell would a guy as smart as Belichick "target" a hall of fame QB in the sixth round? You "target" and scienetifically research guys like that aaaand select them early. You get it? So I'd have to say it was luck, sorry. I'm sure if Johnathan Kraft would stop using you for a foot stool for a minute, he'd stand up and inform you of that - then you could believe it. Then he'd place you back down on the floor.

You really are a dense moron aren't you? You still blaming Brady and our offense for our playoff collapse the last two years? lol. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Posted by BabeParilli

I agree, the only thing that's puzzling is the fact that Belichick handed Bledsoe a 100 million dollar contract the year before. I imagine he really had no other choice but to do that (QB's don't grow on trees), and Bledsoe was the face of the franchise at the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It was a glorious time for the empire.
    Posted by TrueChamp

LOL. What was that that mighty posted?

There are going to be a lot of dead ewoks this season? LOL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era. : I agree, the only thing that's puzzling is the fact that Belichick handed Bledsoe a 100 million dollar contract the year before. I imagine he really had no other choice but to do that (QB's don't grow on trees), and Bledsoe was the face of the franchise at the time.
    Posted by mthurl

I suspect that what Kraft and BB want aren't always the same thing.  Kraft still needs to run a sucessful business and after he locked up Bledsoe he made statements about having the face of the franchise here until retirement and stuff like that.  Something that is much more important to marketing than to football success. 

Also, consider that was prior to BB proving his methods as a coach would have such success.  Nowadays, Kraft would probably be more inclined to take BB's advice on those decisions since he has proven his approach wins games, but back then he hadn't proven anything a HC and his value approach was very controversial.  Many people thought he was just cheap, and building a team of retreads with no hope of winning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Yrs ago Today, Began the Brady Era. : I agree, the only thing that's puzzling is the fact that Belichick handed Bledsoe a 100 million dollar contract the year before. I imagine he really had no other choice but to do that (QB's don't grow on trees), and Bledsoe was the face of the franchise at the time.
    Posted by mthurl

Not sure BB had that kind of power yet when Drew got the bucks. But I think you are right. It could have been a Kraft mandate to keep people in the seats. Even if it was BB's call, he might just have been blown away by what Brady was showing him in practice and just said to hell with it. He probably correctly assumed his 5-11 the year before with Drew was not going to be tolerated for very long.

I'd bet if you flat out asked BB and he gave an honest answer he would say - "My job is to win football games with this team. Brady gave me my best chance of doing that." And of course, he was right.

Sections
Shortcuts