100th Grey Cup This Weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

100th Grey Cup This Weekend

A little off topic, but for those who are football fans in general, it's a big weekend here in Canada.  The CFL's championship game--the Grey Cup--is being played for the one-hundreth time.  The first Grey Cup was played way back in 1909 in Toronto and it's been played every year since with the exception of a few years during WWI.  It's in Toronto again this year and Toronto's home team and the world's oldest professional sports team (dating back to 1873), the Argonauts, are in the game, playing against the Calgary Stampeders.  The day before is Canada's college (or university as they say here) football championship game--the Vanier Cup--also being played in Toronto.  Canada has this great system where the university championship is played the day before the professional championship in the same stadium.  It makes for a truly great weekend of football . . . in fact, the NCAA and NFL should take note, because a college championship game the day before the Super Bowl in the same stadium would be really cool.  

Anyway, I'm not sure you can catch either game in the states, but even if you don't like CFL football it's worth watching just for the history.  

Go Argos!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

Re: 100th Grey Cup This Weekend

Have the Rough Riders ever defeated the Rough Riders in the cup?....lol just kiddin' ya man...enjoy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

they should name a team the Fluties

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have the Rough Riders ever defeated the Rough Riders in the cup?....lol just kiddin' ya man...enjoy

[/QUOTE]

The Rough Riders have beaten the Roughriders 3 times, 1951, '69 and '76

However, the Roughriders have only beaten the Rough Riders once, 1966

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A little off topic, but for those who are football fans in general, it's a big weekend here in Canada.  The CFL's championship game--the Grey Cup--is being played for the one-hundreth time.  The first Grey Cup was played way back in 1909 in Toronto and it's been played every year since with the exception of a few years during WWI.  It's in Toronto again this year and Toronto's home team and the world's oldest professional sports team (dating back to 1873), the Argonauts, are in the game, playing against the Calgary Stampeders.  The day before is Canada's college (or university as they say here) football championship game--the Vanier Cup--also being played in Toronto.  Canada has this great system where the university championship is played the day before the professional championship in the same stadium.  It makes for a truly great weekend of football . . . in fact, the NCAA and NFL should take note, because a college championship game the day before the Super Bowl in the same stadium would be really cool.  

Anyway, I'm not sure you can catch either game in the states, but even if you don't like CFL football it's worth watching just for the history.  

Go Argos!

[/QUOTE]

I believe the game is on the NBC Sports Network in the US. 

As for the college championship and the Super Bowl on the same weekend that would be very difficult to pull off in the US.  All Super Bowls are full weekend events or more.  The college championship game also draws a huge crowd, beyond what fills the stadium.  Hotel rooms would be the biggest problem IMO.  With the exception of Las Vegas it would be very difficult for any city to accomodate both crowds simultaneously.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With a new team coming to Ottawa soon, maybe the Ottawa Rough Riders will be back . . . or maybe they'll be called the Ottawa Fluties . . . 

I'm just glad the Saskatchewan Roughriders didn't call themselves the Regina Roughriders . . . 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Go Argos!

[/QUOTE]

I believe the game is on the NBC Sports Network in the US. 

As for the college championship and the Super Bowl on the same weekend that would be very difficult to pull off in the US.  All Super Bowls are full weekend events or more.  The college championship game also draws a huge crowd, beyond what fills the stadium.  Hotel rooms would be the biggest problem IMO.  With the exception of Las Vegas it would be very difficult for any city to accomodate both crowds simultaneously.

[/QUOTE]

All sorts of practical reasons not to have the two games together (and the hotel issue is a big one here) . . . but it's still cool to have both games on the same weekend and in the same stadium. It's a great celebration of the sport.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With a new team coming to Ottawa soon, maybe the Ottawa Rough Riders will be back . . . or maybe they'll be called the Ottawa Fluties . . . 

I'm just glad the Saskatchewan Roughriders didn't call themselves the Regina Roughriders . . . 

[/QUOTE]

LOL

My understanding is that Ottawa isn't allowed to use the name again. Which their ownership isn't happy about. To me it makes some logical sense to avoid going back to a 9 team league where 2 have the same name.

Apparently the team colors will be the same. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL

My understanding is that Ottawa isn't allowed to use the name again. Which their ownership isn't happy about. To me it makes some logical sense to avoid going back to a 9 team league where 2 have the same name.

Apparently the team colors will be the same. 

[/QUOTE]

You're right.  According to the Ottawa Sun, they can't use the Rough Rider name or anything that resembles it (the owner of the Saskatchewan Roughriders made that a condition of admitting the new team to the league). No name has been chosen yet, though the team is scheduled to enter the league in 2014.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Wow, 100th? Wouldn't have guessed that. Do Canadians follow the NFL much?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

If Flutie isn't playing in the game I dont have much interest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Former CFL stars Brandon Browner, Cameron Wake meet again Sunday
    http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2019735777_seahawks22.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The NFL is huge in Canada. Thus you see a few of us here on this board. Fantasy football is huge here too.

Most football fans up here follow both leagues although there's still the odd person who only follows the CFL.

You boys down south have a great Thanksgiving. It's always been hard to watch the games up here as everybody is at work. Glad the Pats are on tonight although I'm stuck at my son's hockey practice and have to hope the tv at the rink has the game on.

I'm confident you'll all have a great end to your day as the Pats are gonna steamroll the Jets tonight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In Toronto, they follow the NFL more than they follow the CFL.  In fact, a lot of Torontonians look down on the CFL (and the Argos have trouble drawing large crowds).  In Western Canada, though, the CFL is extremely popular.  Personally, I like to watch both.  Overall, I like the style of the NFL game a bit better and, of course, the players are more talented (CFL players make around $80,000 on average--some take the subway to work--so of course the best players go to the NFL where they make 5 times as much at a minimum and potentially 100 times as much).  But the Canadian rules have some variations from the American rules that produce a different type of game which is interesting in its own right--a little more open and offensive focused, with some wild finishes, where big leads can evaporate surprisingly quickly.  

Gridiron football is really only played in the US and Canada and the game evolved simultaneously in both countries.  In fact, a lot of people trace the origin of gridiron football to a series of games between two universities, one American (Harvard), one Canadian (McGill), back in 1874 (from Wikipedia):

Harvard, which played the "Boston game", a version of football that allowed carrying, refused to attend this rules conference and continued to play under its own code. While Harvard's voluntary absence from the meeting made it hard for them to schedule games against other American universities, it agreed to a challenge to play McGill University, from Montreal, in a two-game series. The McGill team traveled to Cambridge to meet Harvard. On May 14, 1874, the first game, played under "Boston" rules, with a round ball, was won by Harvard with a score of 3–0. The next day, the two teams played under "McGill" rules, with an oblong ball, to a scoreless tie.[6] This series of games represents an important milestone in the development of the modern game of American football.[11]

The  Rutgers College football team of 1882, wearing uniforms typical of the period

Harvard quickly took a liking to the rugby game, and its use of the try which, until that time, was not used in American football. The try would later evolve into the score known as the touchdown. In late 1874, the Harvard team traveled to Montreal to play McGill in rugby, and won by three tries. A year later, on June 4, 1875, Harvard faced Tufts University in the first game between two American colleges played under rules similar to the McGill/Harvard contest, which was won by Tufts 1–0.[12] The first edition of The Game—the annual contest between Harvard and Yale—was played on November 13, 1875, under a modified set of rugby rules known as "The Concessionary Rules". Yale lost 4–0, but found that it too preferred the rugby style game. Spectators from Princeton carried the game back home, where it also became popular.[6]

On November 23, 1876, representatives from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia met at the Massasoit House in Springfield, Massachusetts to standardize a new code of rules based on the rugby game first introduced to Harvard by McGill University in 1874. The rules were based largely on the Rugby Football Union's code from England, though one important difference was the replacement of a kicked goal with a touchdown as the primary means of scoring (a change that would later occur in rugby itself, favoring the try as the main scoring event). Three of the schools—Harvard, Columbia, and Princeton—formed the Intercollegiate Football Association, as a result of the meeting. Yale did not join the group until 1879, because of an early disagreement about the number of players per team.[1]

[edit]

The CFL was officially founded in 1958, but it evolved out of earlier Canadian leagues, and at that time most of its original teams had been in existance for decades.  The sport is just as old in Canada as in the US, and while the CFL may not get the attention the NFL does (even in Canada it often seems to take a back seat to the NFL--and, of course, to hockey), it really has just as much history as the NFL, and in that respect should not be seen as a lesser league.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Used to watch the Grey Cup with my dad every year. He and my uncles went to one of the Warren Moon Grey Cups in Toronto many years ago. I still see the CFL as an inferior brand of football compared to the NFL. I might watch some of it this year because the Pats don't play the late game this Sunday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still see the CFL as an inferior brand of football compared to the NFL. 

[/QUOTE]

Are you watching the Cowboys? ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wonder why all these people are trying to make a minor league NFL league when the CFL is already established and profitable.  I think it's good for the NFL to have a league where guys can play after college if they didn't make the NFL and can get noticed like Cameron Wake.  I know the rules are a bit different but they're close enough to judge talent.  The NFL doesn't really seem to scout them though.

I don't think the market can bear another football league of guys who didn't make the NFL which is probably why they keep folding.  They should play the CFL in the US.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Who Cares? Local High school games carry more weight than the Grey Cup!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Rerun85's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who Cares? Local High school games carry more weight than the Grey Cup!

[/QUOTE]

Sure, if you live in Texas. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Boy, is that true.   $45mil staduims for high schools!  It's nuts down here. 

Sections
Shortcuts