12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats

I remember watching this in college in NY, the entire campus lit up in shock.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats

Same here.  Never forget those two, but the bigger event for me was Lennon's murder.

I had not watched the game.  I had missed my H.S. school bus and my mom drove me to near the school on her way to work.  We were listening to Beatles music the whole way, clueless.  I figured it was just another Beatles Day kind of event on WBRU.

I remember word-for-word exactly how I learned of it. As soon as I stepped from her car, a few classmates walking to school asked me, "Did you here the news?"

"What?"

"John Lennon was shot."

I thought it was some kind of weird joke and waited for a punch line. Long pause.

"What? Are you joking?"

"No.  They announced it on the Pats' game last night."

I was devastated.  I was a huge Beatles.  My second and third 45's, at age 5, were by The Beatles.  My second album was Magical Mystery Tour, at age 6.  By the time I was in high school, I had all of their best work, from Rubber Soul onward.  We played Beatles tunes in my basement rock band.

When I got to the school, every other kid was adorned with Beatles/Lennon pins, wearing pins being the fad that year. The whole day was surreal. Teachers didn't want to teach. Kids didn't want to be taught.  A large part of the day was just spent talking.

My core friends and I rushed back to "Jim's" house after school, turned on the radio, and every station, AM or FM, country, classical, Spanish, disco, it mattered not, they all were either playing Beatles/Lennon music, or they were taking about Lennon.  Not one exception.  We will never live to see a death mourned like that. 

Harrison' death was a mere media blip, even though it was said that he got lung cancer from the wounds he sustained when he was stabbed in the chest about 50 times a few years prior. Either way, he had never really recovered from that attack.

The difference in the way the deaths were received? When you think of Harrison's death, you think of him with Paul, John, Ringo and George Martin.  It will be the same for Paul and Ringo when they pass. But when you think of Lennon's assassination, you think of Jesus, Ghandi, MLK, Mendela...and even Princess Di, to an extent - all major world peace activists that were targeted for assassination, with only one surviving it. None other of them was as widely known, influential or popular at the time of death as Lennon. Jesus was ultimately more influential over time, but not at the time of his death.

If you want some greater insights into his murder, Google "Lennon + SDI + Bay of Pigs + CIA + assassination".  Much of the stuff you'll find is based on what has been officially disclosed and declassified over time (from sources like the FBI), in a trickle, so as not to cause the shock that a sudden release would create.   Very revealing about those in places of power who hold low opinions of "bleeding heart liberals". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

It was the one night we lost to the hated Fins and I could care less. If Smith makes that we finish 11-5 and tie the Bills for the division.( I don't know if we win it or even get the wild card because the Bills, Pats,Raiders, Chargers,Oilers and Browns all would have finished 11-5) Very sad night. I had just come home from work and my dad told me just as I was walking in the door that he was dead. I was just getting ready to leave work when somebody heard on the radio that John had been shot. The Pats of the late 70's through 1980 were favored to win the AFC East and only won it once(78) The 79 Pats started out like 6-2 and finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs. And the 1980 Pats started out 6-1 and were 7-3 or 8-2 and ended up 10-6 and missed the playoffs. They were dissapointing or underachievers if you want to put it that way. Then again in 81 they finished 2-14 so maybe they weren't as good as we thought. RIP John Lennon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

One of the saddest days in my life. To this day, cannot understand how anyone could and or would want to kill him. He tried to bring love and peace to the world. I often wonder if he was still alive, what his music would sound like today. Gone but not forgotten. Good thread Harley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats:
    [QUOTE]One of the saddest days in my life. To this day, cannot understand how anyone could and or would want to kill him. He tried to bring love and peace to the world. I often wonder if he was still alive, what his music would sound like today. Gone but not forgotten. Good thread Harley.
    Posted by ricky1554atl[/QUOTE]

The sad and stupid thing is that if you look through history anyone who wants peace is killled. Ghandi, MLK, Anwar Sadat, Itshak Rabin,Benito Aquino in the Phillipines etc..etc...And John Lennon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats : The sad and stupid thing is that if you look through history anyone who wants peace is killled. Ghandi, MLK, Anwar Sadat, Itshak Rabin,Benito Aquino in the Phillipines etc..etc...And John Lennon.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

That's because the kind of people that benefit (financially and politically) from war have no reservations about murder, while the people that benefit from peace are non-violent.  Queen Elizabeth owned (or still owns) the world's largest manufacturing company of land mines.  Princess Di was the leading activist to make land mines illegal internationally.  So Di had to go. Just a day or two before she was assassinated, she told a friend that she was about to be killed and that the assassins, "would make it look like a car accident or something..."

OK, back to football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

buddy holly > john lennon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A little perspective people. It was very tragic, but comparing it to 9/11 is a bit over the top. No actually it's a lot over the top. But yeah, back to football.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]A little perspective people. It was very tragic, but comparing it to 9/11 is a bit over the top. No actually it's a lot over the top. But yeah, back to football.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I did not compare the events of John Lennon's shooting to the events of 9/11.

I compared the feeling of lost innocence (the deep-seated feeling that the world is an evil place) after John Lennon's shooting to the feeling of lost innocence (the deep-seated feeling that the world is an evil place) after 9/11.

If you cannot understand the difference, it is you who lacks perspective.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I was on guard duty, Ft. Carson Colorado.  Didn't really care.  Sorry, but it's true.   Lots of people get shot in NYC, and Colorado Springs, and L.A., and Augusta, and and and and.  It always bugged me people kept playing "imagine".  Here is a multi multi millionaire who hasn't had a real job EVER telling me to imagine no possessions.  Sure thing, buddy.  Back it up by doing it if you think it's the real thing.  For me, Jerry Garcia and the Dead lived what they believed, Lennon just abandoned a wife and son when they were inconvenient, then wanted to lecture people about "morals". Didn't hate him, just didn't really care.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats : I guess you don't know what the term "bleeding heart liberal" really means. The world neds more activists like JOL.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

John Lennon was a druggie bum and while I don't condone his killing, I also don't weep in his memory. Study human history, all we do is kill each other, the drug induced fantasy that something in our DNA is somehow going to change is ridiculous. Study pre-human history, primate history.... Embrace the fact that we kill each other and start doing things in order to survive and stop being girly men handing out hugs. All the activism in the world will not save you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I have a very clear memory of my father wondering out loud why some hippie getting his yap closed permanently was newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game.

I didn't then -- and don't now -- suffer under any illusions of "lost innoncence" over the death of some guy who turned a clever phrase or two, once upon a time.

Crazier sh*t than that happens every day.

Not to mention, dying young can be a very good career move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

This has been an interesting thread to read. The scope of reaction and feelings towards JL and the times amaze me. The Beetles were never my favorite (stones zepplin). JL death plays to this countries fascination with fame and wealth. JL opined a little to much and he had the right to do so but people need didn't to elevate him to world peace superstar ...he was musician nothing more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]I have a very clear memory of my father wondering out loud why some hippie getting his yap closed permanently was newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game. I didn't then -- and don't now -- suffer under any illusions of "lost innoncence" over the death of some guy who turned a clever phrase or two, once upon a time. Crazier sh*t than that happens every day. Not to mention, dying young can be a very good career move.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I was 18 years old at the time, and I admit, I grew up in a pretty sheltered home, so I'm sure I did believe a guy who could turn a clever phrase about peace was indeed an icon of peace. I do not believe that anymore, which, for me, is what I mean by a loss of innocence. Just because I am wise enough to know better now doesn't mean I don't mourn the child in me who once believed the world was a good and beautiful place.

I rather miss that kid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats : I was 18 years old at the time, and I admit, I grew up in a pretty sheltered home, so I'm sure I did believe a guy who could turn a clever phrase about peace was indeed an icon of peace. I do not believe that anymore, which, for me, is what I mean by a loss of innocence. Just because I am wise enough to know better now doesn't mean I don't mourn the child in me who once believed the world was a good and beautiful place. I rather miss that kid.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Great post. Lot of truth sitting in that sentence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbrook. Show philbrook's posts

well, let's see...if JL had a gun maybe he'd still be with us ? that's the problem, not enough of the good people have guns.
    back to football, Did you see that pass rush on Woodley ? Could use some of that now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablo69. Show diablo69's posts

I was at ULowell then, remember this well...and if JL had a gun then Mark D Chapman would not have been able to be re-hab'd...how sad that would be ? tears in my eyes and deep emotions on that one. He must have had a bad childhood or some BS like that. 
    Lennon, great music, foolish politics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]I was on guard duty, Ft. Carson Colorado.  Didn't really care.  Sorry, but it's true.   Lots of people get shot in NYC, and Colorado Springs, and L.A., and Augusta, and and and and.  It always bugged me people kept playing "imagine".  Here is a multi multi millionaire who hasn't had a real job EVER telling me to imagine no possessions.  Sure thing, buddy.  Back it up by doing it if you think it's the real thing.  For me, Jerry Garcia and the Dead lived what they believed, Lennon just abandoned a wife and son when they were inconvenient, then wanted to lecture people about "morals". Didn't hate him, just didn't really care.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Garcia was a drug addict and it killed him. Lennon stopped doing drugs in the mid 70's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 12/8/1980 MNF,Cosell,Lennon,and the Pats : I was 18 years old at the time, and I admit, I grew up in a pretty sheltered home, so I'm sure I did believe a guy who could turn a clever phrase about peace was indeed an icon of peace. I do not believe that anymore, which, for me, is what I mean by a loss of innocence. Just because I am wise enough to know better now doesn't mean I don't mourn the child in me who once believed the world was a good and beautiful place. I rather miss that kid.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Friend:  I've never "re-hashed" an older post subject, and I apologize to other posters for doing so, but I couldn't help myself but to comment on your post, which IMHO is one of the best I've seen on these boards.  You've managed to express your opinion, and quite frankly mine, more beautifully and succinctly than I ever could.  A great and thoughtful piece of writing - this old Sailor tips his dixie cup to you.  By the way, you're not alone in "rather missing that kid," I, and I'm sure a few others, missed those "kids" as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]A very sad day. I at home watching the Pats drinking a beer when the great one, Howard Cosell made the announcement. I liked the Beatles, John, and his music, but lets not forget he was one of the first bleeding heart liberal tree huggers in the country. if he were still alive he would probably be an active member of the ACLU and PETA! Leaving politics out of it, I still listen to some of his great classics.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

PETA -- talk about a bunch of people going overboard!!!!  Hell, they are ANIMALS, not people.  If using them in laboratories for medical research can save human lives, then by all means use them, damn it!!!!

ACLU -- thank God this organization exists.  They are the true defenders of the constitution in this country.  They protect us from politicians and beaurocrats that would impose things like the UnPatriot Act on us with its clear violation of the bill of rights.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE] "...  Harrison' death was a mere media blip, even though it was said that he got lung cancer from the wounds he sustained when he was stabbed in the chest about 50 times a few years prior. Either way, he had never really recovered from that attack. ". 
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point that is often lost.  I loved the Beatles.  Harrison's attack was horrific, and like his role in the band, was overshadowed by comparison.  I miss Lennon and Harrison, and what the Traveling Wilbury's were producing.

On a side-note, whenever Dec 8 comes around, we are reminded of Lennon's death (and we should be), but rarely a mention of the birthday of my all-time favorite - Jim Morrison.

Sections
Shortcuts