1987 49ers Analogy with 2010 Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

1987 49ers Analogy with 2010 Pats

I had been looking for some kind of positive news after last week’s loss. I had a feeling that the pats had too much success post the Browns game; I was hoping that someone would kick the Pats butt before the Playoffs began to be frank. I mean they had a lot of luck & Brady was more or less perfect. Sometimes you need a real beat down to keep your perspective & get it out of your system. Nothing in life ever goes your way 100% of the time. Unlike like every other sport in the playoffs (MLB, NHL, NBA, etc) where you can afford a bad game, Football is one game & you’re out! Last Sunday after that early interception I knew this was not our day. Nothing looked good; poor D, sloppy O, & ineffective special teams. I can imagine that I was not the only person thinking that the Pats simply beat themselves & made the Jets looks good. I thought a look into the history books might shed some light on the situation to prove that it has happened before, it can have a positive effect, & it might galvanize this team for years to come....

'During the strike-shortened 1987 season the  49ers led the league with a 13–2 record but fell in their first playoff game to the Minnesota Vikings, 36–24—the third year in a row they lost in the first round. The loss to the Vikings was a stunning upset considering the 49ers that year were ranked #1 on both offense and defense, making them the odds-on favorite to win the Super Bowl'. Source (Wikipedia).

I remember watching the NFL documentaries & thought it was interesting that Bill Walsh was almost fired for this loss. This team was absolutely loaded with talent, but they came up short.  In the following 2 seasons they steam rolled the NFL. If it were not for the Cowboys or lucky Giants they would have won 5 superbowls in a row. They went on to win 3 more superbowls until falling apart in the late 90’s due to salary cap concerns.

My with this analogy is the fact we lost a game we all know we should have won. Our let downs in the Playoffs back to Jan 2008 are well documented. Knowing that we have beaten 3/4 teams this weekend by blowouts is a tough pill to swallow as well. However, this year’s teams was in a rebuilding mode. Who the hell in the NFL goes 14-2 in a rebuilding year? With ample Draft Picks, BB/ Brady still in their Prime, & a fiscally sound franchise, the pats will be a competitive team for years to come. The Jets are built for Today, but mark my words they will be an 8-8 team at best next year.

People we need to pay the price to get back to the SB again...for all of you younger fans who cannot remember the Pats before 1993 well you are quite frankly spoiled. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: 1987 49ers Analogy with 2010 Pats

for all of you younger fans who cannot remember the Pats before 1993 well you are quite frankly spoiled. 

Thats a fact. I actually used to have a bet with an old boss for a case of beer, who ever had the better record the Bengals or the Pats. I actually lost twice I think. Like with any business you have to tool for the long run. That's the problem with GM, Ford and other real big companies. They Tool up for 6 years max, rip all that stuff out and start all over again. This team is being built to be competitive for years. That's how it should be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I was watching that 87' Niners vs Vikings game on Youtube. Niners were pretty sloppy that day and got off to a slow start, just like the Pats last weekend. Then they met the Vikings in the playoffs the next two years and just cleaned their clocks on the way to Super Bowl championships.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

I posted this thread last week, it's mainly the same as what you've said:

It's nice to have other people on the forum with a bit of perspective, who's to say we don't become the first team to 3peat now, who knows what's around the corner but I swear you'll never see it, if your eyes are already closed and you no longer believe in the team,the coach or the players. 
    Bit cheesy there but true I believe none the less. The 2010 chapter of the patriots history book closed painfully but I fully believe the next few will be the best ever!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

When you win a lot of games in a row, its inevitable that you are going to get high on yourself...inevitable that you start believing that you are the better than what you might be...especially for a young team.  

2003 Pats were a veteran team...a lot of those players went through 2002, the year we failed to make the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl previously.  The core of that group were also on horrible Patriots teams, and some in that Super Bowl loss to the Packers.

Middle of the season this team had something to prove after the trade of Randy Moss.  We were written off.  I remember going into the Steelers game this season thinking we are not in the same class as the Steelers, we'll probably lose.  The Pats came out with emotion that night trying to prove the doubters wrong.  By the time the playoffs came along, ADMIT IT, a lot of people were thinking that the Jets are not in the same class as the Pats.  I have a feeling some of those players felt the same way, whether they admit it or not.

This isnt the same Pats team that has gone to 4 Super Bowls the past decade.  For the most part, this is a team that hasnt won any playoff games.  But people still perceive us as the team that has won meaningful games.  The Jets have won 4 more playoff games than us the past two seasons.  They should be considered the class of the division.  

BB took the pictures down for a reason.  Assuming this is a mentally tough team.  This loss was for the better.  I dont think the Jets wouldve beaten us if we didnt embarrass them 45-3.

No such thing as failure, just new lessons learned.  We are usually at out best after our worst.  Think about it, after breaking up with a girl or whatever, you almost feel better than ever after the sting.  Well I hope this offseason stings a lot for our players.  I hope they dont get over it.  And I hope the failure empowers them to greatness.

2011, we have a lot to prove.  The team can go 16-0 in the regular season and people will still doubt this team due to the recent playoff failures.  That is a good team.  This team wasnt ready to be the hunted, so we are back to being hunters.  Im excited about next season.  I believe we will have a worse regular season, 14-2 is hard to do...but I truly believe that come playoff time, this team will perform.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

well that story does help shed some sorrow for last weeks debacle. knowing that even the best teams have a bad day, and can regroup the next year is promising

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: 1987 49ers Analogy with 2010 Pats:
    [QUOTE]When you win a lot of games in a row, its inevitable that you are going to get high on yourself...inevitable that you start believing that you are the better than what you might be...especially for a young team.   2003 Pats were a veteran team...a lot of those players went through 2002, the year we failed to make the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl previously.  The core of that group were also on horrible Patriots teams, and some in that Super Bowl loss to the Packers. Middle of the season this team had something to prove after the trade of Randy Moss.  We were written off.  I remember going into the Steelers game this season thinking we are not in the same class as the Steelers, we'll probably lose.  The Pats came out with emotion that night trying to prove the doubters wrong.  By the time the playoffs came along, ADMIT IT, a lot of people were thinking that the Jets are not in the same class as the Pats.  I have a feeling some of those players felt the same way, whether they admit it or not. This isnt the same Pats team that has gone to 4 Super Bowls the past decade.  For the most part, this is a team that hasnt won any playoff games.  But people still perceive us as the team that has won meaningful games.  The Jets have won 4 more playoff games than us the past two seasons.  They should be considered the class of the division.   BB took the pictures down for a reason.  Assuming this is a mentally tough team.  This loss was for the better.  I dont think the Jets wouldve beaten us if we didnt embarrass them 45-3. No such thing as failure, just new lessons learned.  We are usually at out best after our worst.  Think about it, after breaking up with a girl or whatever, you almost feel better than ever after the sting.  Well I hope this offseason stings a lot for our players.  I hope they dont get over it.  And I hope the failure empowers them to greatness. 2011, we have a lot to prove.  The team can go 16-0 in the regular season and people will still doubt this team due to the recent playoff failures.  That is a good team.  This team wasnt ready to be the hunted, so we are back to being hunters.  Im excited about next season.  I believe we will have a worse regular season, 14-2 is hard to do...but I truly believe that come playoff time, this team will perform.
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

GREAT post. You took the words out of my mouth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

I'm glad you mentioned Walsh almost got fired. I remember that clearly! 

Funny thing about history: the less you live it, the more you don't know the details of it.

With ALL sports, we remember just the greatness. We forget the greats lose bad games.  Bill Parcells getting smoked 21-0 in 1985 by the Bears. There was some consideration he could be gone. In 1992, Denver slightly considered trading John Elway; they ended up firing Dan Reeves instead.  Funny how now we forget these things.

The 49ers in that 3 year skid was a little overrated.  They had good talent and records, but they didnt have the defense to keep up with the New York, Chicago, and Washington (1985-87 SF playoff points against avg: 34.0).  Minnesota in 1987 was an aberration, an 8-7 team that caught fire. Beating 12-3 New Orleans, 13-2 49ers, almost beat 11-4 Washington the following week! 

1988 49ers went 10-6. Blah you say?
    Here is there playoff run:

34-9 vs. Minnesota
    28-3 @ Chicago (very cold night!)
    20-16 vs. Cincinnati

What was the difference from their 3 previous playoff games?

1 TD given up on Defense!!!the other TD was a kickoff return.  It was the defense that turned it around.  The offense was there. There's hope for New England yet!  Get your defense turned around and the history will take care of itself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Another thing about history....it's more like 2001 than the 2003 and 2004 seasons.  In '01 who would have thunk it?  In 03 and 04 it was scripted ....best team best run champs.  Parcells used to say a little luck helps in the toonament.  Here's hoping that 2011 brings a better result.

Sections
Shortcuts