Re: 1st Pepper now Scar....red flags???

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pepper bothers me more than Scar.  

Why did he leave before even interviewing for another job?  Even if he goes to the Texans it's a lateral move at best.   Maybe they have an understanding that he is "DC in waiting" when RC moves on.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Pepper left voluntarily. 

Scar did, but Pepper doesn't leave the Pats unless he already has a job setup -- and I agree, he moves to a DC position, not laterally. 

The decision for Pepper to leave certainly doesn't appear to have been made by himself. Belichick wasn't happy with the play of the LBs, for one reason or another. 

Speculation, but it isn't that hard to conceive that as a real possibility. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you're right on the mark.  This was a nice way to let someone go, someone who was a good soldier in the organization!

[/QUOTE]

I thought Collins and Hightower made great strides this year, and should be anchors next year along with Mayo. I simply dont buy it. I have to think Pep has something in place with BOB and Romeo with some type of down the road promotion. Perhaps Houston (or another team) over whelmed him financially.

If you do wish to speculate about unhappiness, perhaps you could connect the dots not to LB performance, but LB behaviour and attitude (Spikes?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Why did he leave before even interviewing for another job?  Even if he goes to the Texans it's a lateral move at best.   Maybe they have an understanding that he is "DC in waiting" when RC moves on.

[/QUOTE]

Dude had been here day one with BB and watched a bunch of scrubs get the D Coordinator job and Fail horribly and I think that Horrible performance watching Manning pick us apart with no pressure was the last straw and he had to leave most likely knowing he would have done better and didnt want to disrespect BB by making a stink or questioning Matty P. Thats what I truly believe happened. Peppers played the game. He coached like he played. With passion. Im sure he grew tired of losing due to not having a D that can get off the field. That Defensive effort was embarrasing and whoever put in that plan to keep the safeties back and middle of the field wide open SHOULD BE FIRED. Simple. Worst gameplan Ive seen in years watching football. ONe backer to cover the whole middle. Safties deep, not stopping a dam play!  Should have been closer to line to stop draw plays

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Pepper left voluntarily. 

Scar did, but Pepper doesn't leave the Pats unless he already has a job setup -- and I agree, he moves to a DC position, not laterally. 

The decision for Pepper to leave certainly doesn't appear to have been made by himself. Belichick wasn't happy with the play of the LBs, for one reason or another. 

Speculation, but it isn't that hard to conceive that as a real possibility. 

[/QUOTE]

The linebackers were the strengh of the team until injury so I cant buy that. Hightower was  the only guy late to the party. Mayo was fine until he was hurt. Ditto for spikes and Collins was the best guy on the field in the playoffs. if BB sent Peppers packing, he is more of the problem than I thought and needs to go. WT F has Matty P done in the last 3 years with this D??  Peppers was the last player/coach we had I believe. You NEED those guys. Look ALL over the league and you see ex players and BB is hiring guys from schools of mining and technology.....

smh....you guys are blind with loyalty. If BB doesnt make drastic changes, This Run is OVer. Sure we can talk about our D looking great early on but without a real coordinator , it aint gonna do zilch come postseason. And our WRs are limited and O line is built to pass block so when postseason comes and we try to run it WILL NEVER WORK and every year I have to listen to these yahoos screaming to run more not realizing we cant runblock on the better D's with a pass blocking line and why have that with NO weapons for Tom to throw to???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Well, maybe bb is making drastic changes...the question is, are they the right ones? My view is bb really messed up on not promoting peppers over Patricia. I am not sure what bb sees in Patricia, but the intern has about 1/100th the experience of peppers. That was peppers job period. Good soldiers can only stay good if they are rewarded for their loyalty. Bb didn't reward peppers, he rewintern promoted an intern. To me this speaks volumes about the environment bb has created. It's the ultimate command and control, full of yes men and coaches with bb's viewpoints. Doesn't make for a very dynamic environment. 

All you have to do is ask a very simple question..."is Patricia the best the Pats org can do as a DC?"...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, maybe bb is making drastic changes...the question is, are they the right ones? My view is bb really messed up on not promoting peppers over Patricia. I am not sure what bb sees in Patricia, but the intern has about 1/100th the experience of peppers. That was peppers job period. Good soldiers can only stay good if they are rewarded for their loyalty. Bb didn't reward peppers, he rewintern promoted an intern. To me this speaks volumes about the environment bb has created. It's the ultimate command and control, full of yes men and coaches with bb's viewpoints. Doesn't make for a very dynamic environment. 

All you have to do is ask a very simple question..."is Patricia the best the Pats org can do as a DC?"...

[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I see it. Why aint Otis Smith here coaching our Dbs. how about Shawn Jefferson in Detroit also. Think their WRs are good?  The only reason you hire a "wet behind the ears guy"  like Matty P over Peppers is because you want a guy who wont challenge you and you can then tell him about your bend but dont break philosophy without him intervening and saying na man, we gotta bring pressure.... What happened when Dean Peas started to blitz a lot? he was Canned. Atleast he tried something different. Talent was the issue then. Now we have talent on D. Need a guy to maximize it. Matty P has made strides since starting but he AINT the answer, sorry. This D strives in spite of him IMO. BB and Peppers were the real coaches of that D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm opting to wait for the dust to settle. An awful lot of hip-shot posts in this thread as well as more than a little idle speculation. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply dont buy the critics of Patrica. This D was playing very well when healthy. They lost Vince, Kelly and Mayo. Jones and Hightower are 2nd year players. McCourty played his first full year at S. The depth plug ins were not NFL caliber players, but this staff coached them to wins. And they game planned every week. That speaks volumes to a great job done by the DC.

Give this defense and coaching staff a chance with all its pieces healthy and together. If Vince can come back and be Vince, and Talib is resigned, this defense might be top 3.

The GM needs to do a better job filling in the DL, signing Talib and adding LB depth. The coaching staff, and the DC did a great job this year 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Wow, talk about trying to read things into this news.  There is more to life than being a coach on the Patriots football team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rkarp,
    all that is true and great. My thing is if the D is great, how much does a coordinator NEED to do? They just need a communicator. Like Crennel let players be themselves, make suggestions,. play games on the line with stunts and twists and calling own blitzes.   If you cant Do ANYTHING after you lose a few players, what good are you?

I like Matty P, but he is overmatched. I know Defense. I have coached both basketball AND football so im not one of these trolls just dissing BB. Peyton Manning was determined to pass. They werent taking deep shots. MCcourty never provided over the top help. Why are the safeties 15-20 yards back on 3rd and 10?!?!?  Peyton just checked to a draw and took advantage of the open space. You ever seen so much open field in the middle of a D? I was sceaming at the TV watching those alignments with Hightower alone in the middle. Thats what BB was telling him. Peyton had one play where he bobbled the snap for like 10 seconds never looking at the rush, got the pass off and NOONE was even near him. That was pathetic. Im sorry, I watch all NFL. I see lesser talented defenses doing more with less due to schemes and gameplanning. Ours was AWFUL. If you dont agree. We have to agree to disagree. Matty aint awful but you gonna have injuries. He still needs to come up with a plan. Sorry, more excuses. The GM not having any DE depth didnt help either as our DEs played every snap and DID ZILCH!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Wow, talk about trying to read things into this news.  There is more to like than being a coach on the Patriots football team. 

for the record I dont really think they are related. Scar has 30 years in. He may have already had this planned. What I DO know , is that our Defense and O line are related in the sense of US needing to rehaul the D line as well as the O line. Here is MY issue. BB since forever has drafted a certain type of lineman. He has changed a bit but for a while you could be assured that he would draft  a lineman that around 6'3" and weighed around 300. He didnt want them any bigger or smaller. Just 6'3" and 300. Then comes good feet. Then comes ability to pull. Never did he look for Maulers. I was excited when we drafted Cannon for that reason. Playing Tackle was not mu idea. I thought he would be a great guard. Now that our WRs arent the strenght and we look like we WANNA Run.... Time to scrap the pass blocking lineman. They arent great enough at it to just be pass blockers. When it comes to run on a good D, we cant. We are too finesse and fleet of foot. We need Maulers and Pushers now because to keep Brady clean, you need to run effectively. Running on Buffalo is the exeption. We saw vs Denver what it looks like when we run on better Ds. Elway enjoyed a great running blocking line and a hall of fame RB at age 37 to get him HIS 2 rings. BB needs to look at that and go that route now. It was painfully obvious Brady cant keep carrying us with that pathetic WR corps. Brady should  be averaging 20 throws a game and enjoying easy playaction throws in his latter years. Not trying to save the world.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rkarp,
    all that is true and great. My thing is if the D is great, how much does a coordinator NEED to do? They just need a communicator. Like Crennel let players be themselves, make suggestions,. play games on the line with stunts and twists and calling own blitzes.   If you cant Do ANYTHING after you lose a few players, what good are you?

I like Matty P, but he is overmatched. I know Defense. I have coached both basketball AND football so im not one of these trolls just dissing BB. Peyton Manning was determined to pass. They werent taking deep shots. MCcourty never provided over the top help. Why are the safeties 15-20 yards back on 3rd and 10?!?!?  Peyton just checked to a draw and took advantage of the open space. You ever seen so much open field in the middle of a D? I was sceaming at the TV watching those alignments with Hightower alone in the middle. Thats what BB was telling him. Peyton had one play where he bobbled the snap for like 10 seconds never looking at the rush, got the pass off and NOONE was even near him. That was pathetic. Im sorry, I watch all NFL. I see lesser talented defenses doing more with less due to schemes and gameplanning. Ours was AWFUL. If you dont agree. We have to agree to disagree. Matty aint awful but you gonna have injuries. He still needs to come up with a plan. Sorry, more excuses. The GM not having any DE depth didnt help either as our DEs played every snap and DID ZILCH!

[/QUOTE]

parts in bold letters is completely, completely not true. this team (offense and defense) game plans every game. every game this defense needs to do something different then from the game before. this team does not simply let the players play, and stay out the way.

that is why Mathews was not drafted.

you can disagree with the philosophy, but not the facts

the philosophy has won 9 div titles in 10 years...been to 5 AFCCCG in the past 10 years 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I let the dust settle, I am not a Patricia fan. Never have been.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Rkarp,

parts in bold letters is completely, completely not true. this team (offense and defense) game plans every game. every game this defense needs to do something different then from the game before. this team does not simply let the players play, and stay out the way.

the philosophy has won 9 div titles in 10 years...been to 5 AFCCCG in the past 10 years 

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, thats not what I said. I said with Crennel, the players had a say.

I never said the team didnt gameplan. In fact you are making my point. Matty P actually took time to come up with that c rap you call a gameplan. Even more the worse.  We dont know why matthews wasnt drafted. I wont act like I know, nor should you without the proof. I just know we were creative under crennell. You dont find it funny that we gameplan ALL year but when the games get BIG and we get 2 weeks to plan, it looks like we were just winging it. We did the same BS, sit in a cover 2 and hope manning checks to run that we did in week 12. Thats pathetic. I know a good gameplan when I see one. I saw nothing on Sunday

every,edit: sorry, most experts and fan has said the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to PapaJohn18's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody wants to play for a loser team like the Patriots. Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Nobody wants Peyton to ram it up their butt like you do either

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rkarp,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, thats not what I said. I said with Crennel, the players had a say.

I never said the team didnt gameplan. In fact you are making my point. Matty P actually took time to come up with that c rap you call a gameplan. Even more the worse.  We dont know why matthews wasnt drafted. I wont act like I know, nor should you without the proof. I just know we were creative under crennell. You dont find it funny that we gameplan ALL year but when the games get BIG and we get 2 weeks to plan, it looks like we were just winging it. We did the same BS, sit in a cover 2 and hope manning checks to run that we did in week 12. Thats pathetic. I know a good gameplan when I see one. I saw nothing on Sunday

every,edit: sorry, most experts and fan has said the same.

[/QUOTE]

the other team has coaches too, and sometimes they out scheme the PAts. It happened 3-4 games this year. Bengals, Jets, Broncos. Pats picked a bad time to come up with a stinker. Repeat, I feel this defensive coaching staff has earned the right to coach the team as it was built, when healthy.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The wrong coaches are leaving.   These 2 guys are the best of the staff.  Belichick screwed them. 

first Pepper Johnson...  the Spikes move must have infuriated him.  Putting him on IR against his will, after all he did for this team all f'n year...?   For what...?  So you could bring in Austin Collie...?   Spikes could have helped this team from a leadership standpoint and if used in a shallow zone could have thumped a few of those crossing routes. 

INstead we have dbs chasing and getting knocked out by illegal picks.   Great strategy...lol.

then SCar....   Pieces together an offensive line which had success running the ball and the OC can't produce a play mix to utilize these guys properly?    Yes they need to pass block but where were the sctreens?  the draws .  Get these guys going.  Its illogical and a waste of Scars talents... B- Bye. 

this horror show finale to a promising season shows Belichick is losing it bigtime.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Not sure what the story is on Pepper, although he's wanted a chance at a Defensive Coordinator position for years now.  Could be he just got tired of being passed over and waiting, so felt it was time to break ties.  I don't think he liked the way the Spike situation was handled either.  As for Scar, HUGE loss but this isn't out of the blue.  He's gone as far in the sport as he cares to go and now it's time to spend those golden years with his wife. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

If McDaniels does an about face and takes Clevelands HC position it maybe time to worry...like rats jumping ship bc of the impending doom.....hope not!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[/QUOTE]

the other team has coaches too, and sometimes they out scheme the PAts. It happened 3-4 games this year. Bengals, Jets, Broncos. Pats picked a bad time to come up with a stinker. Repeat, I feel this defensive coaching staff has earned the right to coach the team as it was built, when healthy.   

[/QUOTE]

so you ARE admitting/saying what I said. They came up with a BAD gameplan. Isnt that easier to say then we had injuries? Dennard looked great with 2 pics vs My lil Pony but going to face the big horse, he couldnt cover anyone and looked like a scrub.   I mean they missed Von Miller, Chris Harris,etc but we never did anything to get Jammer on the field and exploit that.  The team you have in January is almost never the same team it was in August. It wasnt in 2004 when TY Law went down in pittsburgh, it wasnt the case when BB used 45 diff. starters THAT year or 2003 when Branch went down. Or 2001 when Bledsoe went down. This team Knows how to move on from injury. What it CANT seemingly do is gameplan against teams in big, high stakes environment as of late(last 5 years)

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure what the story is on Pepper, although he's wanted a chance at a Defensive Coordinator position for years now.  Could be he just got tired of being passed over and waiting, so felt it was time to break ties.  I don't think he liked the way the Spike situation was handled either.  As for Scar, HUGE loss but this isn't out of the blue.  He's gone as far in the sport as he cares to go and now it's time to spend those golden years with his wife. 

Just curious, but how do you know this?

[/QUOTE]

http://nypost.com/2012/02/01/after-12-years-with-patriots-pepper-looks-to-climb-coaching-ranks/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-linebacker-pepper-johnson-big-blue-defensive-coordinator-sources-article-1.457873

surely someone of your stature can find it in the interwebs no?  You find every other article that fits your agenda......   LOL

Yoda probably knew Peppers wanted a D coordinators job. Dont be naiive buddy

I would have left after that pathetic performance on D also. I hope someone gives him a sho t and he does well. Im rooting for him. BB will probably promote his son to coordinate in 2 years.....what a joke and peppers STILL handled it with class and thanked Peppers for the opportunity. Has BB thanked him yet?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Time to say Night Night Rusty. You may want to run and hide somewhere. THIS is the reason Peppers left with his ego bruised and will hop on with old pal Crennel in hopes that His loyalty will mean more to him than it did to Bill. So Coughlin,,,,thinking to himself... in 2010, what can i do to win another ring. its been quite a while (3 years) and I need to get my Defense in shape .A year later Coughlin STILL won another SB at the hands of OUR patriots. Bleeding our D while Peppers stood by hopeless to change the results. Now its even more clear why he left. He could have had another ring with his OLD team but opted to stat Loyal to BB and look where it got him. Being a positional coach while Matty P wasted yet another oppty with a horrible game plan....SMH.... WOW

Tom Coughlin is looking for a coordinator who can return the Giants' defense to its former glory. And to do that, he might reach back into the Giants' past.

Pepper Johnson, the former Giants linebacker and current Patriots defensive line coach, is not only a possible candidate, he would also be "very interested" in the job, according to two people familiar with his thinking. He has never been a defensive coordinator, but he has won two Super Bowl rings as a player and three as a Patriots assistant.

He also is a brilliant defensive mind, according to those who know him, and his presence and winning background would certainly get the attention of the Giants' deflated defensive players.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-linebacker-pepper-johnson-big-blue-defensive-coordinator-sources-article-1.457873#ixzz2rG0yxXXc      apparently he didnt get the job due to not having D coordinator experience but that didnt keep Patricia from landing a job.  here is the closing statement from somone close to the situation about Johnson..  

"When you look at what's needed to straighten out the defense, it's a culture that's conducive to accountability and winning," he said. "That's how (Johnson) was brought up as a player. And then if you take the intangibles, I guarantee you guys will work for him."

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts