1st Rd Bust (2010) - Indy's Jerry Hughes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: 1st Rd Bust (2010) - Indy's Jerry Hughes

Um, certainly you'll forgive me if I don't believe you 15 years later when you say the Manning/leaf decision was a no brainer. I am sure I could go on and on with links to the question at the time.   
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/leaf_manning/mobility.html
    http://tnjn.com/2008/apr/26/nfl-draft-a-decade-removed-fro/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/338933-the-manningleaf-debate-what-could-have-been
    http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/03/30/remember-14-years-ago-when-a-majority-of-gms-said-they-would-take-ryan-leaf-over-peyton-manning/

As for other players, ok here goes -
    Steve McKinney - 8 yr NFL starter
    Mike Peterson - 11 yr NFL starter
    Marcus Washington - 8 yr NFL starter - pro bowler
    Ryan Diem - 10 yr NFL starter
    David Thornton - 7 yr NFL starter
    Cato June - 5 yr starter - pro bowler
    Jake Scott - 8 yr starter
    Jason David - 5 yr starter
    charlie Johnson - 5 yr starter
    Tim Jennings - 4 yr starter - probowler
    Addai - 4 yr starter - probowler
    Garcon - 3 yr starter
    Jerraud Powers - 4 year starter
    Jeff Saturday - udfa
    Dominic Rhodes - udfa
    Raheem Brock
    Nick Harper
    Gary Bracket - udfa
    Ryan Lilja - udfa
    Brandon Stokely
    Phillip Wheeler

and a couple of players who were trending but their careers were cut short:
    Anthony Gonzalez
    Austin Collie
    Clint Session
    Mike Doss
    Marlin Jackson

Warts and all - that's some pretty successful personnel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

One additional note - its true that Hughes has been a bust, but there's no shame to not being able to beat out Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis.  On the other hand, Laurence Maroney had a wide open spot to take over the running back duties for the pats and failed.  Talk about a poor draft choice.

False.  If not for Tyree, Maroney has a ring on his finger. He also is the main reason along with the O Line why we even got to SB 42. Brady had 3 picks in that game, one in the end zone and Maroney had 122 yards, most of it in the 4th qtr.

It's a disappointment he didn't progress into a 3 down great All Pro back, sure. But, an 800 yard season and 8 TDs or something in this era where most teams use multiple backs, is  good production.

Also, pre rookie cap RBs in Rd 1 were very expensive, so BB took him in the 20s to keep costs down.

Wasn't anywhere as bad as Jerry Hughes in Rd 1 of deepest draft in 25 years.

This time you'll forgive me - for calling BS - one year or even a few games does not a career make nor a 1st rd draft pick worthy.  An 800 yd season is nothing to write home about and Addai had a better career and was drafted after Maroney.  As for others missed by the maroney pick - Jonathon Joseph, Santonio Holmes, DeAngelo Williams, Nick Mangold, Addai.  I could go on. 

Pro-football-reference lists Maroney as having 0 seasons as the primary starting running back.  none.  His AV is half that of Addai's. 

Finally - and just because you didn't seem to get it the first time - Chris Polian was the GM on that draft. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This time you'll forgive me - for calling BS - one year or even a few games does not a career make nor a 1st rd draft pick worthy.  An 800 yd season is nothing to write home about and Addai had a better career and was drafted after Maroney.  As for others missed by the maroney pick - Jonathon Joseph, Santonio Holmes, DeAngelo Williams, Nick Mangold, Addai.  I could go on. 

Pro-football-reference lists Maroney as having 0 seasons as the primary starting running back.  none.  His AV is half that of Addai's. 

Finally - and just because you didn't seem to get it the first time - Chris Polian was the GM on that draft. 

Maroney sucks, but Joseph Addai sucks too dude.  Sorry to break it to you.  Just because the Colts kept him doesn't mean he didn't suck.  He had one decent rookie season and thats it.  His career numbers aren't that different than a guy like BJGE who went undrafted.  Yeah he "made" the pro bowl in 2007 despite the fact that there were 8 guys in the AFC alone that rushed for more yards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

As for Polian since 2003 when he drafted Dallas Clark in the 1st all of his 1st round picks have been bad except for Castonzo in 2011 who the jury is still out on (although he seems pretty good to me).  Belichick has not missed on nearly as many first round picks in the same span (basically Maroney and Meriweather).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

That being said while Polian didn't do himself any favors towards the end of his career in New England and I can't stand the guy for being a whiny little b itch about the Patriots his overall record as a GM speaks for itself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Maroney sucks, but Joseph Addai sucks too dude.  Sorry to break it to you.  Just because the Colts kept him doesn't mean he didn't suck.  He had one decent rookie season and thats it.  His career numbers aren't that different than a guy like BJGE who went undrafted.  Yeah he "made" the pro bowl in 2007 despite the fact that there were 8 guys in the AFC alone that rushed for more yards.

I didn't say Addai was great, but he was substantially better than Maroney whether you wish to admit it or not.  Addai ran for over 1000 yds in each of his first 2 seasons AND caught over 40 balls as well AND he knew how to block for his quarterback.  Stats aren't everything.  Kevin Faulk was an excellent player for the pats especially with his 3rd down prowess.  Addai was a 3 down back.  Maroney had to platoon.  

Addai got hurt after his 2nd season and could never fully gain his health after that.  You may not think much of Addai, but Belichick thought enough of him to see if there was anything left in his tank.  That should tell you all you need to know about the difference between Maroney and Addai.  

His probowl season he also had 15 touchdowns  and over 40 catches which was significantly more than the others who had more rushing yards for lesser teams - Lewis (clev), Jones (nyj), lynch (buf), white (ten).  All others also went to the probowl.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

That being said while Polian didn't do himself any favors towards the end of his career in New England and I can't stand the guy for being a whiny little b itch about the Patriots his overall record as a GM speaks for itself.

There's nothing wrong about disliking polian.  Kind of like Belichick, the guy is a jerk.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

As for Polian since 2003 when he drafted Dallas Clark in the 1st all of his 1st round picks have been bad except for Castonzo in 2011 who the jury is still out on (although he seems pretty good to me).  Belichick has not missed on nearly as many first round picks in the same span (basically Maroney and Meriweather).

no first in 04 - but Sanders (dpoy) was his first pick.  

Jackson (05) was an injury casualty.

Addai (06) - effective pick.  

Gonzalez (07) had the makings  of a great pick but could not stay healthy.  

You can ding him, however, for the 2nd rd (07) pick of Ugoh.  He gave up the 08 first rdr to get him.  Bad Pick.  

08 - no first rounder - traded to pick up Ugoh prior year.  Bust.

09 - Donald Brown - definitely not worth the first round pick.  

So I'll agree with you regarding Ugoh and Brown.  That said, those drafts - 07-09 also included - Clint Session, Philip Wheeler, Jacob Tamme, Austin Collie and Jerraud Powers.  These were all solid picks.  

I can't ding a guy who picks someone without an injury history but develops one.  Colts did have a few of those with Session, Gonzalez, Collie.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

One additional note - its true that Hughes has been a bust, but there's no shame to not being able to beat out Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis.  On the other hand, Laurence Maroney had a wide open spot to take over the running back duties for the pats and failed.  Talk about a poor draft choice.

False.  If not for Tyree, Maroney has a ring on his finger. He also is the main reason along with the O Line why we even got to SB 42. Brady had 3 picks in that game, one in the end zone and Maroney had 122 yards, most of it in the 4th qtr.

It's a disappointment he didn't progress into a 3 down great All Pro back, sure. But, an 800 yard season and 8 TDs or something in this era where most teams use multiple backs, is  good production.

Also, pre rookie cap RBs in Rd 1 were very expensive, so BB took him in the 20s to keep costs down.

So, you don't think his father signed off on that draft pick? Why was Polian still working for the Colts then? You made the same claim to deflect when I said Tom Moore was roaming the sidelines behind Clyde Christensen as OC.  If he wasn't involved, why is he still there?

Because each guy was overseeing the other guy!  That's why!

Don't try to deflect. Every draft pick Chris Polian made in 2009 was authorized by Mr. Rosacea himself.

As for Addai vs Maroney, I would say Addai was better but I also think they used him better than we used Maroney.  Like, if we had committed to the run with Maroney in SB 42 like you did with Addai and Rhodes in SB 41, we would have won SB 42.

Painful to think about because we did it again in SB 46.

Bill Polian was the president of the club - not just GM.  further, he demonstrated that he would give his kids the chance to fail.  If you've seen him on TV or heard him, he talks about his kids all the time.  Maybe they'll develop but Chris wasn't ready.  And if you didn't know, the polian's were fired and Bill is working in the media now.  I don't know about you, but if I hire someone to do a specific job, then I allow them to do it - pass or fail.  Chris got that opportunity from his dad and Irsay.  he failed.  Sucks that it tore down the colts, but if I were in their shoes, I'd hate to have a job with someone questioning everything I did.  

So who would you blame for Moroney's use - Belichick the GM or Belichick the coach.  I'd pick Belichick.  He drafted the guy based on what he thought he could do in the system.  It appears that Moroney couldn't do it.  he was let go.  Polian took Addai who did work in their system, and he thrived.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

There's nothing wrong about disliking polian.  Kind of like Belichick, the guy is a jerk.

That's funny, Jim Brown called Belichick the most generous athlete or coach in terms of giving up time for charity work that he's ever seen come through Cleveland.

Meanwhile, Bill Polian slams desks in the media box yelling for COlts defenfers to break Flutie's legs and chokes people in elevators at the Meadowlands.

Hmm.

Sure seems like one is a jerk and one really isn't, but is only perceived as one because he's framed that way by the media.

The media didn't leave me with my impressions of Belichick.  He did himself.  I saw him in those interviews.  I know the shenanigans he pulled.  Bob Knight is one of the most charitable guys in IU history.  He's still a jerk.  I am not interested in trying to convince you.  I know I won't.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Well there we have it.  We can't believe the media unless they say something flattering. 

Tell ya what, I'll completely reserve my judgement on Belichick since I don't know him.  what I've seen of him - he acts like a jerk.  How's that?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

So, you don't think his father signed off on that draft pick? Why was Polian still working for the Colts then? You made the same claim to deflect when I said Tom Moore was roaming the sidelines behind Clyde Christensen as OC.  If he wasn't involved, why is he still there?

Don't try to deflect. Every draft pick Chris Polian made in 2009 was authorized by Mr. Rosacea himself.

As for Addai vs Maroney, I would say Addai was better but I also think they used him better than we used Maroney.  Like, if we had committed to the run with Maroney in SB 42 like you did with Addai and Rhodes in SB 41, we would have won SB 42.

Bill Polian was the president of the club - not just GM.  further, he demonstrated that he would give his kids the chance to fail.  If you've seen him on TV or heard him, he talks about his kids all the time.  Maybe they'll develop but Chris wasn't ready.  And if you didn't know, the polian's were fired and Bill is working in the media now.  I don't know about you, but if I hire someone to do a specific job, then I allow them to do it - pass or fail.  Chris got that opportunity from his dad and Irsay.  he failed.  Sucks that it tore down the colts, but if I were in their shoes, I'd hate to have a job with someone questioning everything I did.  

So who would you blame for Moroney's use - Belichick the GM or Belichick the coach.  I'd pick Belichick.  He drafted the guy based on what he thought he could do in the system.  It appears that Moroney couldn't do it.  he was let go.  Polian took Addai who did work in their system, and he thrived.  

Yeah. And I don't think Maroney is as bad as you claim either. Your team ran the balll more so Addai got 200 yards more per season. Big deal.

I already said Addai was a better choice than Maroney. I don't really think either were great 1st rd picks, though, including Addai.

Yes, as you know, I have an issue with how McDaniels our O'Brien sub the skill sets of our backs, BEFORE we establish our run game. Yes.  And, yes, that is on BB at the end of the day.

au contraire mon frere:  
    rushing attempts: 

06: NE-499, IN-439;   07: NE-451, IN-446;   08: NE-513, IN-370;  09: NE-466, IN-366

Further -

Addai - 4453 rush yds, 191 catches, 48 TD's

Maroney - 2504 rush yds, 40 catches, 22 TD's. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Here I was...all prepared to mock the pick, and people who opined about the Pats not drafting him.

And what do I get? More pizzing contests.

Translation: GROW THE FK UP! ALL OF US!

Let Rusty start a thread without bringing up history from EVERY OTHER FKING THREAD.

Lets Jints post without attacking his being a fan of the Giants.

EVERYONE stop inferring and puting words into other's mouths.

This thread caught my attention where others simply do not. Unfortunately, by the SECOND G-D POST, it was already derailed.

When you want to do that....JUST DON'T. Have some willpower! If the thread, author, or direction annoy you...DON'T POST! Seriously. Many quality posters have left because of this. More are LEAVING. If what many of you want is an empty hanger to yell at each other from across from...well...congratufkinglations.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Yeah. And I don't think Maroney is as bad as you claim either. Your team ran the balll more so Addai got 200 yards more per season. Big deal.

I already said Addai was a better choice than Maroney. I don't really think either were great 1st rd picks, though, including Addai.

Yes, as you know, I have an issue with how McDaniels our O'Brien sub the skill sets of our backs, BEFORE we establish our run game. Yes.  And, yes, that is on BB at the end of the day.

au contraire mon frere:  
    rushing attempts: 

06: NE-499, IN-439;   07: NE-451, IN-446;   08: NE-513, IN-370;  09: NE-466, IN-366

Further -

Addai - 4453 rush yds, 191 catches, 48 TD's

Maroney - 2504 rush yds, 40 catches, 22 TD's. 

I already said Addai was the better pick.    Also, those are total rushing attempts. You have mysteriously left out EACH's total attempts. Or, you're being sneaky.

Show me each's attempts per year, not totals for the team, Cochrane. 

Jeez Russ - go back and read your statement to which I responded and tell me I didn't respond exactly to your statement.  Here you go: Your team ran the balll more so Addai got 200 yards more per season. Big deal.

Do you expect me to read your mind?  And by the way, over those four seasons, Addai averaged about 500 yards more than Maroney.  He also averaged 45+ catches per season while Maroney averaged 10.

They both averaged 4.1 yds per attempt, but that's not what this is about.  Franco Harris and Roger Craig averaged 4.1 yds per attempt in their careers.  Surely, you are not comparing Maroney to those guys, right? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Here I was...all prepared to mock the pick, and people who opined about the Pats not drafting him.

And what do I get? More pizzing contests.

Translation: GROW THE FK UP! ALL OF US!

Let Rusty start a thread without bringing up history from EVERY OTHER FKING THREAD.

Lets Jints post without attacking his being a fan of the Giants.

EVERYONE stop inferring and puting words into other's mouths.

This thread caught my attention where others simply do not. Unfortunately, by the SECOND G-D POST, it was already derailed.

When you want to do that....JUST DON'T. Have some willpower! If the thread, author, or direction annoy you...DON'T POST! Seriously. Many quality posters have left because of this. More are LEAVING. If what many of you want is an empty hanger to yell at each other from across from...well...congratufkinglations.

Agree, but can't Gunty stay out of my threads? He's really the one who is at fault on this one. Underpants being in here makes sense.

The fact is, some of these trolls or irrationals follow me around specifically.  Go to the source.

I posted this to show yet again that BB as a GM with drafts is nowhere near as bad as it's painted by the media or some of our fans.

That was the deepest draft in a long time with players galore all over the board and Bill Polian, the defacto "best GM" of the recent era swung and missed.

Underpants is trying to spin it like Polian didn't do it, it was his son Chris, holding a gun to Bill's head for Jerry Hughes. lol

Russ - No one rational thinks Belichick is a poor drafter.  He's demonstrated that he is not. 

Further, you continue to maintain that this was BILL Polian's draft.  It was not.  I've provided you with that information.  Please feel free to check it out.  Now if you want to be lumped in with the people you consider irrational, then continue to maintain falsities as truths and you will be just like them.