1st Round Bye with a win over Green Bay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

1st Round Bye with a win over Green Bay?

If the Pats win vs Green Bay they move to 12-2. 

With a win over GB, the Pats eliminate Baltimore from taking one of the first-round byes away from NE.  Worst the Pats record could be is 12-4.  Best Baltimore can do is 12-4 (if they win out).  Pats have the head to head tiebreaker over Baltimore. Baltimore can still get a 1st Round Bye if they overtake Pittsburgh for their own divison though. 

If Pats beat GB and  Steelers beat the Jets,  the Jets will have 5 losses and cannot beat the Pats for the East Division and the Pats clinch at least the #2 Seed. The AFC West and South leaders have 5 losses already.    We secure a minimum #2 seed with a win over GB and Pitts win over the Jets.

If the Jets beat the Steelers, its gets more interesting.  The Jets could win out and have a 12-4 record.  If the Pats beat GB, but loose to Buffalo and Miami they are also 12-4. Jets would win the East Division because their Divisonal record would be 4-2, Pats would be 3-3.  Pats would be the Wildcard.  Allot of "if's", but it is possible. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: 1st Round Bye with a win over Green Bay?

OK,

Now stop and think .... what are the chances that New England loses to Buffalo and Miami (in New England) ..... 

New England will finish 14-2 unless they have it sealed up and rest people for week 17...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: 1st Round Bye with a win over Green Bay?:
    OK, Now stop and think .... what are the chances that New England loses to Buffalo and Miami (in New England) .....  New England will finish 14-2 unless they have it sealed up and rest people for week 17...
    Posted by zbellino

Z, I see them winning out but I don't see them resting players at all. They'll keep Pryor and Wright out, and maybe be cautious with Devin.

Even in the Miami game, I see the starters playing 3 quarters. With a young team, #1 seed locked up, and a hot Brady, I think it'd be a risk to rest the players for more than a quarter and then have the bye week and another week before your first playoff game. With a young team, I'd imagine Bill keeping his foot on the gas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think you'll see Hoyer in the Buffalo game a bunch. That Welker incident has to loom heavy on BillB's mind. Think if Brady goes down playing the Bills.
    If we had Welker maybe maybe not the Balt humiliation at the Razor would have been different. We have a lot of Rooks who arn't even playing any games now last year. I bet we start healing after next week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

I think you'll see Hoyer in the Buffalo game a bunch. That Welker incident has to loom heavy on BillB's mind. Think if Brady goes down playing the Bills. If we had Welker maybe maybe not the Balt humiliation at the Razor would have been different. We have a lot of Rooks who arn't even playing any games now last year. I bet we start healing after next week.
    Posted by Philskiw

I am a strong proponent of resting starters in the last game if the seed is locked.

With the Welker loss fresh in BBs mind, I think he knows how bad it would be to lose Brady, Welker, Branch, Wilfork, or McCourty in a meaningless game against the Dolphins in a game without meaning.

2006 Season:
    In addition to the Welker loss the one that stands out in my mind is losing Rodney Harrison in a meaningless game against the Titans on the last game of the 2006 regular season.  We lost to the Colts that year 38-34 in the AFCCG.  Harrison had been huge in some playoff games prior to that (see below), and I feel it is very possible we win that game with him playing.

2003 season:
    On January 10, 2004 in the divisional playoff game against the Tennessee Titans, he intercepted Steve McNair, which set up Antowain Smith's touchdown, as New England would hold on for a 17–14 win. In the AFC Championship Game the next week against the Indianapolis Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning in the end zone and forced a Marvin Harrison fumble recovered by teammate Tyrone Poole. Harrison then went on to help New England Patriots win their second title in three years, against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII, 32–29. He fractured his right arm late in the game, but a Tom Brady-led drive and Adam Vinatieri field goal secured the Patriots' victory. In his tenth year in the league, Harrison earned his first Super Bowl ring.

2004 Season:

In the Patriots' divisional playoff game against the Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning late in the game to end the Colts' last chance. The next week in the AFC Championship, Harrison jumped a Ben Roethlisberger pass and took it 87 yards for a touchdown, helping the Patriots defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 41–27. During the week leading up to the Super Bowl, Harrison got into a verbal feud with Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell after Mitchell claimed he "had something for Harrison" and did not know the names of the New England secondary.[2] Harrison, in Super Bowl XXXIX, would record seven tackles, a sack, and two interceptions of quarterback Donovan McNabb, despite missing almost an entire quarter due to an injury sustained during the game. The second interception, with ten seconds remaining in the game, preserved a 24–21 Patriot win, ensuring a third championship in four years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

OK, Now stop and think .... what are the chances that New England loses to Buffalo and Miami (in New England) .....  New England will finish 14-2 unless they have it sealed up and rest people for week 17...
    Posted by zbellino

good point. NONE

nothing is stopping the patriots wrecking ball.

even still TB will play at least one half against the fish. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

And a win, the next week over Buffalo gives us Home field thruout. Also if PhatRexs team loses to Pitt and Chicago,(both on the road) and Miami wins at home against Buffalo and Detroit,(very realistic), that would put us against Miami and Jests against Buffalo. We lay down and give Miami the 6th seed, as the Jests would need to win and have Miami lose to US--SWEET JUSTICE is coming baby!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

In Response to Re: We lay down and give Miami the 6th seed, as the Jests would need to win and have Miami lose to US--SWEET JUSTICE is coming baby!!!
    Posted by jimmytantric[/QUOTE]

Laying down in a game is bad juju. Win out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Couldn't either the Chargers or Chiefs end up with that 6th seed somehow with the other one wining the division??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Pats own their own destiny at this point. The team is improving every week and has not even peaked yet!

The team lives and dies w Brady. So if things continue as they ahve the past few weeks and he is protected and doesn't turn the ball over he can make the plays to score enough points to win the game.

This team has players mending and players that have not had as many reps getting the ball. Edelmann, Morris and Taylor all could be impact players in the playoffs. Tate is starting to come on of late and actually holding onto the ball.

I believe on offense the biggest players to see down this stretch will still be Welker, Branch and Gronk. Woody and BJGE are having the right plays called for them by O'Brien and that should continue. Hernandez needs to play a bit more like he did at the beginning of the year.

The defensive game planning will need McCourty, Chung, Pryor, Wright and possibly Brace healthy. All are key players versus the run.

Otherwise, Wilfork will be at NT and there will be new rotations at DE (Arrington again?), then you have Butler returning to the DB line-up and Sanders/Page seeing more reps than Chung (is he still bang'd up or is it game planning?) has lately.

The perfect situation: everyone is healthy and the team keeps the momentum through the end of the season and continues the run through the playoffs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Only way we dont clinch a first round bye is an injury to 12

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If we secure the #1 seed before the MIA game, I think a strong argument could be made for resting our players for most of that game.  There is a chance that MIA could overtake the Jets. Who would you rather play again, MIA or NYJ in the play-offs at home in the snow?

MIA is two games back of the Jets with three to play.  MIA has BUF and DET at home, then at NE; although, home has not been kind to MIA this year, they should win those games.  The Jets are at PIT, at CHI then they finish up at home against BUF.  I could see the Jets losing the next two games (they are losing momentum) and the Dolphins winning their next two games.  This would make both teams 9-6 heading into the final weekend.  The Jets would own the tie breaker if they beat the Bills by virtue of better conference record so the Dolphins need to beat the Pats and have the Jets lose out for any chance at a wild card.

Another reason for "throwing" the Dolphins game is to ensure the Chargers don't get the wild card.  I do not want to face the Chargers again even at home.  The Chargers are a very dangerous team both offensively and defensively.  They have a bad coach and they make stupid mistakes but if they play a good game, they could beat us.  We also don't want the Raiders to finish better than the Dolphins since we have the Raiders first round pick so the more teams that finish better, the better.

BB only know how to win, so I think he won't intentionally throw the game.  I say, play the starters for a half then put the subs in and see what happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

It won't happen but it would be great to see the jets end up in 3rd in the division and miss the playoffs after all the hype from the talking heads and BS coming out of Rex's mouth. Third was where we were expected to finish

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I have mixed feelings on resting players. New England won three Superbowls not resting anyone, and almost won a fourth less a miraculous catch.

They did lose two playoff series because of the Harrison and Welker losses as well.

So ... mixed feelings ... well, consider the teams that regularly "rest" players and consider their playoff records.

When you have a bye, you don't want players sitting for three weeks. Sometimes it is worth the risk.

At least get everyone a half of play or something. Especially the young defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

I have mixed feelings on resting players. New England won three Superbowls not resting anyone, and almost won a fourth less a miraculous catch. They did lose two playoff series because of the Harrison and Welker losses as well. So ... mixed feelings ... well, consider the teams that regularly "rest" players and consider their playoff records. When you have a bye, you don't want players sitting for three weeks. Sometimes it is worth the risk. At least get everyone a half of play or something. Especially the young defense.
    Posted by zbellino
    ...there's no way they should lose to either Buffalo or Miami, but anything could happen. Resting is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" premise

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: 1st Round Bye with a win over Green Bay? : I am a strong proponent of resting starters in the last game if the seed is locked. With the Welker loss fresh in BBs mind, I think he knows how bad it would be to lose Brady, Welker, Branch, Wilfork, or McCourty in a meaningless game against the Dolphins in a game without meaning. 2006 Season: In addition to the Welker loss the one that stands out in my mind is losing Rodney Harrison in a meaningless game against the Titans on the last game of the 2006 regular season.  We lost to the Colts that year 38-34 in the AFCCG.  Harrison had been huge in some playoff games prior to that (see below), and I feel it is very possible we win that game with him playing. 2003 season: On January 10, 2004 in the divisional playoff game against the Tennessee Titans , he intercepted Steve McNair , which set up Antowain Smith 's touchdown, as New England would hold on for a 17–14 win. In the AFC Championship Game the next week against the Indianapolis Colts , Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning in the end zone and forced a Marvin Harrison fumble recovered by teammate Tyrone Poole . Harrison then went on to help New England Patriots win their second title in three years, against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII , 32–29. He fractured his right arm late in the game, but a Tom Brady -led drive and Adam Vinatieri field goal secured the Patriots' victory. In his tenth year in the league, Harrison earned his first Super Bowl ring. 2004 Season: In the Patriots' divisional playoff game against the Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning late in the game to end the Colts' last chance. The next week in the AFC Championship, Harrison jumped a Ben Roethlisberger pass and took it 87 yards for a touchdown, helping the Patriots defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers , 41–27. During the week leading up to the Super Bowl, Harrison got into a verbal feud with Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell after Mitchell claimed he "had something for Harrison" and did not know the names of the New England secondary. [ 2 ] Harrison, in Super Bowl XXXIX , would record seven tackles, a sack, and two interceptions of quarterback Donovan McNabb , despite missing almost an entire quarter due to an injury sustained during the game. The second interception, with ten seconds remaining in the game, preserved a 24–21 Patriot win, ensuring a third championship in four years.
    Posted by knightsailor

your post is just as lame in this thread as it was in your original...  go back to ranting on brady being overpaid.... it really showed how your opinion is lacking

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

Let's say New England beats Green Bay & improves its record to 12-2. One of two things could happen:
    A) Steelers beat the Jets. Pittsburgh betters its record to 11-3 while the Jets fall to 9-5. New England wins the AFC East, but has to win at least one of their final two games to secure home-field throughout. The Jets cannot win more than 11 games. Or...
    B) Jets beat the Steelers. New York improves to 10-4 while the Steelers fall to 10-4. The division will not be resolved in this scenario, but still if New England wins one of it's final two, it guarantees home-field.

Sections
Shortcuts