2 good games by the D in a row!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2 good games by the D in a row!

I would say that the second half of the Miami game should great pose and this game they made some mistakes and blew a couple 3rd down stops on penalties but they looked like they are coming together and starting to show they can and will be a better then average D.

I don't think we'll be a top D but it sure brings back memories of the bend but don't break D's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: 2 good games by the D in a row!

yes the defense is loloking like its about to turn a corner, lets see what they next week in sandiego. looks like that gane will be national

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2 good games by the D in a row!:
    yes the defense is loloking like its about to turn a corner, lets see what they next week in sandiego. looks like that gane will be national
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Really? SD looks awful. Not sure why it would be national but I'd take it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

D played solid in 2nd half. Things of interest I noticed:

- Wilfork leading the D on the field - push ing players at the line back after plays so they don't get personal fouls.  
    - Fletcher made few plays late in the game
    - Crable sighting in 4th chasing Flacco OOB
    - Cunningham playing strong in 1st half

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Don't get too excited yet.  The D looked awful in the first half.  Until they can show they can stop people especially on third down consistently for a whole game, I am not ready to sing their praises.  But, my hat is off to them for coming up big in the fourth quarter and OT today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to 2 good games by the D in a row!:
    I would say that the second half of the Miami game should great pose and this game they made some mistakes and blew a couple 3rd down stops on penalties but they looked like they are coming together and starting to show they can and will be a better then average D. I don't think we'll be a top D but it sure brings back memories of the bend but don't break D's
    Posted by PatsEng

I think special teams beat Miami.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Totally agree with original poster - the defense today reminded me soo much of the great Pats D - they were tough when they HAD to be today - they were super tough against the run all day and they forced Flacco into the check down very consistently in the 4th qtr and OT  - very excited about the win today - in fact - more excited than any win they've had in several years - they made me believe today that they can win the whole thing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Don't get too excited yet.  The D looked awful in the first half.  Until they can show they can stop people especially on third down consistently for a whole game, I am not ready to sing their praises.  But, my hat is off to them for coming up big in the fourth quarter and OT today.
    Posted by Faucetman

They gave up 10 points in the first half.  What more do you want?  They can give up third downs all day as long as they don't let the other team score.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Totally agree with original poster - the defense today reminded me soo much of the great Pats D - they were tough when they HAD to be today - they were super tough against the run all day and they forced Flacco into the check down very consistently in the 4th qtr and OT  - very excited about the win today - in fact - more excited than any win they've had in several years - they made me believe today that they can win the whole thing!
    Posted by qball369

Let me go back to what I observed in this game. First, our HS team runs 87 different  plays out of 7 different formations. The Ravens ran 9 different plays the 1st half and 6 the 2nd half. That my friends makes a 27th ranked D look good. They need to take a look at our playbook. It's given us 12 championships. The Ravens couldn't make an easier blueprint to lose this game which they are worthy of losing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: 2 good games by the D in a row! : They gave up 10 points in the first half.  What more do you want?  They can give up third downs all day as long as they don't let the other team score.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Completely agree Mighty. Not only the 10 points but how many times did they have a 3rd down stop only be taken away by a penalty in the first half? I think those penalties are a bit of a learning curve and just bad luck (ie Nin kicking his leg around as he was falling, McCourty getting hit in the back as TJ tried to reach around 'good play by TJ but kinda a weak penalty') Though Meriweathers penalty was just uncalled for. I'm hoping the NFL fines him heavy for that. There was no call for that type of hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

4-1 while rebuilding ???

This is F'ing amazing. 31 other teams wish they were like us when rebuilding..

10 points in the first half against a very good team with a very good rb and 4 very good receivers? I have no complaints..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

how sweet it is. they can continue to get better though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm really happy to see all this jubilation.  Remember, the Pats came into today with the 29th ranked defense, 28 against the pass and 18th against the rush.  Yet somehow miraculously we're in 2nd place with the 2nd best record in the NFL (behind the Jets, tied with PIT).  Somehow the Chargers have the #1 offense and the #1 defense but have the 7th worst record in the NFL.  So clearly stats aren't everything.  Brady was huge and our special teams where pretty good too, the Welker punt return, the 3 for 3 on FGs, all the touch-backs and the booming punt by Mesko late in the game plus our coverage team was solid all day. 

This does look like the "bend, don't break" defense of the past.  I'm cautiously optimistic but like I said, we need to play a compete defensive game before I join you guys in dreaming of another SB.  We still gave up 20 points and commited some stupid penalties.  I'm excited for the win but championship are usually built with defenses that are at least ranked in the top half and we have a ways to go.

The really cool thing is this defense is so young and will only get better the more they play.  It is also cool that we will be getting Bodden and Warren back next year and are sitting on 7 picks in the top 125 or so with 3 likely in the top 35 plus we will be sitting on about $25MM of cap space to play with.  Regardless of how well we do this year, next year we will be so good it will be sick.

Sections
Shortcuts